PDA

View Full Version : 20 Years Ago--November 21,1986

maroonpirate04
11-21-2006, 12:59 PM
On the weekend of November 21 around Texas High Schools were still eyeing on their State Title. Hoping to reach to the top and to be the best among the rest. But this time the bracket is getting smaller closer to the top it's the Area Round week 2 in Class 3A State Playoffs. Check out these close calls exciting week in Area Round.

Kermit 15...Friona 13
Iowa Park 24... Waco Robinson 0
Crane 6...Childress 0
Lampasas 41...Breckenridge 14
Springtown 19...Wylie 14
Daingerfield 30...Gladewater 13
Bonham 37...Southlake Carroll 25 (Upsetting future state champs)
Jefferson 10...Pittsburg 7
Groesbeck 25...Kirbyville 14
Cameron 19...Bellville 8
Port Arthur Austin 28...Crockett 0
Needville 26...Madisonville 17
Giddings 33...Devine 14
Hebbronville 7...Sinton 6 (Very close call Javilena Stadium, Kingsville)
Cuero 18...Hondo 15 (Not even the Owls couldn't stop this powerhouse)
Mission Sharyland 21...Taft 14

As the Thanksgiving Holidays are coming close at the movies. Films were released Solar Babies, The Mosquito Coast, Star Trek IV The Voyage Home, and Nutcracker The Motion Picture

And the sounds of 1986 were The Future's So Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades by Timbuk 3, War by Bruce Springsteen, and Victory by Kool And The Gang were climbing the charts while Human by Human League remained the new #1 after knocking off Boston from that spot

Boosty_Hondo
11-21-2006, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by maroonpirate04

Cuero 18...Hondo 15 (Not even the Owls couldn't stop this powerhouse)

boo com eon hondo haha

WOS87
11-21-2006, 01:40 PM
November 21, 1986

Two Class 4A opening-round playoff games were on the area card in Southeast Texas, including No. 1-ranked Jasper up against No. 3 Wharton at Bearkat Stadium in Huntsville. Also, No. 2 West Orange-Stark was at Rice Stadium to face Dickinson. Jasper joined West Orange-Stark and two-time finalist Tomball as first-round playoff winners. Jasper rolled by Wharton 39-7 as Chris Hunt rushed for 163 yards, while WO-S blanked Dickinson 17-0.

The win over Dickinson was the first of an eventual 4A record (at the time) 15 consecutive playoff wins.

LHMom
11-21-2006, 07:47 PM
That is the day I found out I was pregnant with my first child. :)

LHMom
11-21-2006, 07:47 PM
I take that back. He was born in 86, so I found out in 85. Nevermind!!

Gobbla2001
11-21-2006, 08:00 PM

Jefferson 10...Pittsburg 7

Cuero 18...Hondo 15

Jefferson would go on to beat the crap out of Cuero in the State Finals...

but Cuero won it the next year :D

bandera7
11-21-2006, 10:37 PM
whats crazy is, this is so many of the same teams that are so good today...this shows many winning traditions.

lostaussie
11-21-2006, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001

but Cuero won it the next year :D Jefferson would go on to knock out mighty Daingerfield in the regional finals in an all time classic!!!!!!!!!!!! and then win the the 86' state championship. can't remember the qb's name but i do remember he went on to UCLA and became a track star.

TAMUGRAD
11-22-2006, 08:16 AM

Was that the game played in Austin, in near freezing temperatures?

If so, I was there, freezing my ... off.

That was my Jr. year at A&M, we drove back to College Station after the game.

Gobbla2001
11-22-2006, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by lostaussie
Jefferson would go on to knock out mighty Daingerfield in the regional finals in an all time classic!!!!!!!!!!!! and then win the the 86' state championship. can't remember the qb's name but i do remember he went on to UCLA and became a track star.

And I believe Jefferson and Daingerfield were also in the same district...

Daingerfield beat the crap out of Cuero in the State Finals the year before Jefferson did :(

GreenMonster
11-22-2006, 09:16 AM
On the weekend of November 21 around Texas High Schools were still eyeing on their State Title. Hoping to reach to the top and to be the best among the rest. But this time the bracket is getting smaller closer to the top it's the Area Round week 2 in Class 3A State Playoffs. Check out these close calls exciting week in Area Round.

Iowa Park 24... Waco Robinson 0

I was there. I was 9. It was AWESOME! The Rockets came into this game either undefeated or only had one loss and were very well thought of in the polls. The Hawks brought their A game though and put a thorough whipping on the boys from south Waco. As I remember it the IP JV played the last 2 or 3 minutes of this one and were driving deep in Robinson's red zone when Coach Baugh called off the dogs and had them kneel on it inside the 10. It was played in Weatherford at Kangaroo Stadium. IP was on the visiting side wearing white.

gobbler grad
11-22-2006, 10:02 AM

I remember that game well...little dissappointed with the loss, but Shiner Comanches won 2A title and we celebrated anyway ...alot of Shiner Bock drank that night...:eek:

Txbroadcaster
11-22-2006, 10:20 AM
Jefferson and Daingerfield were NOT in the same district...And the QB for Jefferson was Kenneth Henderson, but he did NOT go to UCLA and become a track star

Gobbla2001
11-22-2006, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Jefferson and Daingerfield were NOT in the same district...And the QB for Jefferson was Kenneth Henderson, but he did NOT go to UCLA and become a track star

ahhh... well they were atleast once in the '90's and '00's though, I'm pretty sure I remember seeing that...

Oh well, either way they kicked our asses... bofe uv 'em...