PDA

View Full Version : 3A Downlow Thanksgiving Cookbook

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-20-2006, 02:24 PM
I thought that it would be a pretty good idea to share with everyone some of your Thanksgiving favorites and recipes to go along with them.

Boosty_Hondo
11-20-2006, 02:24 PM
very good idea to bad i dont cook....

Ranger Mom
11-20-2006, 02:29 PM
We needed another vegetable recipe, as no one really cares for Green Bean Casserole at my house.

I made a corn casserole last night....it was a HUGE hit.

Now I have to make on Thanksgiving day!!:rolleyes: :(

SintonFan
11-20-2006, 02:30 PM
mmmmmmm
Green bean casssssseeeeeeeroooooole..... :devil:
Recipe:
Buy two cans of crappy store bought green beans and throw in microwave with can of crappy cream of mushroom soup for 3 minutes. Throw some shriveled onions on top and VIOLA!
GB Casssssssssseeeeeeeeerooooooole!:clap:

Boosty_Hondo
11-20-2006, 02:31 PM
i hat green bean casserole

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-20-2006, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Boosty_Hondo
i hat green bean casserole

I love it. I usually eat the majority of it, and look forward to the holidays just so I can eat some.

IHStangFan
11-20-2006, 02:34 PM
Take a medium sized Javalinas stadium....mix in some fresh La Feria from the Rio Grande Valley, and a large portion of Ingleside w/ 2 interchangable QBs, a sprinkle of Zach Adams & Joel Johnson.....bake for 4 quarters...and presto....an Impressive Ingleside Mustang Victory dish !! Serve to Round 3 hot! :D

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-20-2006, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
Take a medium sized Javalinas stadium....mix in some fresh La Feria from the Rio Grande Valley, and a large portion of Ingleside w/ 2 interchangable QBs, a sprinkle of Zach Adams & Joel Johnson.....bake for 4 quarters...and presto....an Impressive Ingleside Mustang Victory dish !! Serve to Round 3 hot! :D

Good one. :clap:

DU_stud04
11-20-2006, 02:37 PM
i get a duck, stuff it in a chicken, stuff that in a turkey, then stuff that in a bald eagle, stuff then into a teradactle, put it all in a boeing 747 and deep fried untill done....

SintonFan
11-20-2006, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
i get a duck, stuff it in a chicken, stuff that in a turkey, then stuff that in a bald eagle, stuff then into a teradactle, put it all in a boeing 747 and deep fried untill done....
Ok smartie pants, where ya gonna get the bald eagle, huh?:hand::p

handNthedirt
Fried Turkey is always a big hit...I'm doing two of those this year and two Violated Chickens.

IHStangFan
on a more serious note.....I find that we always like to have something to snack on while the main dish is being prepared (which we all know takes HOURS!) We usually just do chips and salsa....I make my own salsa. Here's how (this is not an exact recipe, feel free to adjust, improvise, etc.)

For one "batch" of salsa:

I take two cans of whole tomatoes & a can of Rotel tomatoes

put into food processor, then add chopped green onions, a squeeze of lemon, 2-5 chopped cerano peppers (depending on how hot you want it, can also be substituted for by jalapenos) sprinkle in a pinch of cilantro, a couple of dashes of garlic salt, etc (any assorted spice you see fit that might give you the taste you want).

Process w/ food processor until you get that resturant like consistancy...

Chill for aprox 1 hour in fridge.

EAT IT UP!!

Now I try and remember if i left anything out...its hard to doccument it when I'm not actually MAKING it.

Ranger Mom
11-20-2006, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04

I know you are exaggerating...but what is the thing that is like that??

I remember reading about it on this board one year!

DU_stud04
11-20-2006, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Ok smartie pants, where ya gonna get the bald eagle, huh?:hand::p

same place we found the crude oil to deep fry the 747;) :D

DU_stud04
11-20-2006, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

I remember reading about it on this board one year! turduckin??? something like that

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-20-2006, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by handNthedirt
Fried Turkey is always a big hit...I'm doing two of those this year and two Violated Chickens.

We recently purchased a turkey frier. Any suggestions on how to make the perfect bird? This is our first time to try it.

DU_stud04
11-20-2006, 02:43 PM
sry, its turducken

its a chicken inside a duck inside a turkey.....something like that.

turducken (http://www.thesalmons.org/lynn/turduck123.html)

IHStangFan
11-20-2006, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
We recently purchased a turkey frier. Any suggestions on how to make the perfect bird? This is our first time to try it. I'm curious about this turkey frying myself...

SintonFan
11-20-2006, 02:44 PM

I remember reading about it on this board one year!
Yes RM, we did a Turducken one year. It was pretty good but alot of work.:eek:
We never tried the Osturducken.:D

big daddy russ
11-20-2006, 03:14 PM
Southern Comfort
Egg Nog

Mix and serve. BTW, it's never too early for egg nog.

big daddy russ
11-20-2006, 03:20 PM
We recently purchased a turkey frier. Any suggestions on how to make the perfect bird? This is our first time to try it.
It's actually pretty easy. Just doctor the turkey up however you want (inject, rub, etc.) and stick it in the fryer. Forget how long it needs per pound, but I don't ever remember it taking more than 45 minutes. The peanut oil's a little pricey, but the convenience is worth it IMO.

BTW, Academy has the cheapest peanut oil I've found for the three years I've been doing it.

IHStangFan
11-20-2006, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
It's actually pretty easy. Just doctor the turkey up however you want (inject, rub, etc.) and stick it in the fryer for about 30-45 minutes. The peanut oil's a little pricey, but the convenience is worth it IMO.

BTW, Academy has the cheapest peanut oil I've found for the three years I've been doing it. if you were interested in making your fried turkey a little more healthy could you sub grape seed oil for peanut oil? its MUCH more healthy!

LHMom
11-20-2006, 03:24 PM
Pumpkin Cake. It was my grandma's recipe. It is super rich & moist.

BBDE - are you really looking for the actual recipes?

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-20-2006, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by LHMom
Pumpkin Cake. It was my grandma's recipe. It is super rich & moist.

BBDE - are you really looking for the actual recipes?

I just thought this would be a great way to share some family recipes with the 3A Downlow family.

GreenMachine
11-20-2006, 03:40 PM
We needed another vegetable recipe, as no one really cares for Green Bean Casserole at my house.

I made a corn casserole last night....it was a HUGE hit.

Now I have to make on Thanksgiving day!!:rolleyes: :( Gooo Greeennnn Beeaaannnsssss!!!

SintonFan
11-20-2006, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by GreenMachine
Gooo Greeennnn Beeaaannnsssss!!!
Did you forget the "MEEEEEEAN"?:D

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-20-2006, 06:04 PM
So, is anyone going to share how to deep fry that turkey or what? I really want to know, I think my mom is going to put myself and my father in charge of it this year.

SintonFan
11-20-2006, 06:10 PM
So, is anyone going to share how to deep fry that turkey or what? I really want to know, I think my mom is going to put myself and my father in charge of it this year.

Originally posted by big daddy russ
It's actually pretty easy. Just doctor the turkey up however you want (inject, rub, etc.) and stick it in the fryer. Forget how long it needs per pound, but I don't ever remember it taking more than 45 minutes. The peanut oil's a little pricey, but the convenience is worth it IMO.

BTW, Academy has the cheapest peanut oil I've found for the three years I've been doing it.
:nerd: :p

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-20-2006, 06:13 PM

:nerd: :p

I wanted details. :mad:

You're such a Republican sometimes....

SintonFan
11-20-2006, 06:15 PM
I wanted details. :mad:

You're such a Republican sometimes....
How dare you!:mad: :mad: :mad:
I'm a conservative...:inlove:
What do you friggin want? Someone to type a 1000 page dissection of the finer art or what?:eek:

SintonFan
11-20-2006, 06:18 PM
Here: (anything to keep the G-man happy)
* STEP 1: Remove the neck and giblets from the turkey cavity and rinse the inside and outside of the bird.
* STEP 2: Dry the turkey well, inside and out, with paper towels.
* STEP 3: Fold the wings of the turkey behind the bird's shoulders and then remove the hock lock. Place turkey on a large wire rack.
* STEP 4: Place a 10- to 12-gallon stockpot on a 12-inch propane gas burner with at least 100,000 BTUs and fill with vegetable oil. Light fire and heat oil to 390 degrees F.
* STEP 5: Lower the well-dried turkey, breast first, into a deep-frying basket. Put on oven mitts and gently lower the basket into the oil.
* STEP 6: Lift up the turkey and dip it into the oil again three or four times so the oil adjusts to the temperature of the turkey.
* STEP 7: Fry the turkey while keeping the oil temperature as close to 365 degrees F as possible. Fry for about three and a half minutes per pound, until meat is golden and a deep-frying thermometer in the thickest part of the turkey thigh registers 175 degrees F.
* STEP 8: Lift basket out of oil and drain turkey, including the cavity, in a roasting pan. Carve and serve after the turkey has cooled for 20 minutes.

Tips & Warnings

* The oil will splatter when you fry the turkey, so wear old clothes.
* You can inject the turkey with marinade the night before by using a turkey injector kit. The kit and seasonings can be bought from most places that sell turkey fryers.
* Buy the oil from a wholesale grocer to save money.
* Make a baked stuffing on the side; you cannot stuff a fried turkey.
* Use a turkey that weighs 14 pounds or less.
* Season the carved turkey with salt, pepper, hot pepper sauce and lemon wedges.
* Dry the turkey well, because a wet turkey will splash dangerously when placed in oil.
* Do not deep-fry the turkey in an attached building, such as a garage, or on a wooden deck.
* Make sure you have enough propane to last the entire frying time, about 40 to 49 minutes for a 10- to 14-pound bird.
* Keep an eye on the frying bird at all times.

from ehow.com

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-20-2006, 06:20 PM
How dare you!:mad: :mad: :mad:
I'm a conservative...:inlove:
What do you friggin want? Someone to type a 1000 page dissection of the finer art or what?:eek:

Yes, that would make me ecstatic. I wonder why more people don't do what I want them to, it's not fair. :(

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-20-2006, 06:20 PM
Here: (anything to keep the G-man happy)
* STEP 1: Remove the neck and giblets from the turkey cavity and rinse the inside and outside of the bird.
* STEP 2: Dry the turkey well, inside and out, with paper towels.
* STEP 3: Fold the wings of the turkey behind the bird's shoulders and then remove the hock lock. Place turkey on a large wire rack.
* STEP 4: Place a 10- to 12-gallon stockpot on a 12-inch propane gas burner with at least 100,000 BTUs and fill with vegetable oil. Light fire and heat oil to 390 degrees F.
* STEP 5: Lower the well-dried turkey, breast first, into a deep-frying basket. Put on oven mitts and gently lower the basket into the oil.
* STEP 6: Lift up the turkey and dip it into the oil again three or four times so the oil adjusts to the temperature of the turkey.
* STEP 7: Fry the turkey while keeping the oil temperature as close to 365 degrees F as possible. Fry for about three and a half minutes per pound, until meat is golden and a deep-frying thermometer in the thickest part of the turkey thigh registers 175 degrees F.
* STEP 8: Lift basket out of oil and drain turkey, including the cavity, in a roasting pan. Carve and serve after the turkey has cooled for 20 minutes.

Tips & Warnings

* The oil will splatter when you fry the turkey, so wear old clothes.
* You can inject the turkey with marinade the night before by using a turkey injector kit. The kit and seasonings can be bought from most places that sell turkey fryers.
* Buy the oil from a wholesale grocer to save money.
* Make a baked stuffing on the side; you cannot stuff a fried turkey.
* Use a turkey that weighs 14 pounds or less.
* Season the carved turkey with salt, pepper, hot pepper sauce and lemon wedges.
* Dry the turkey well, because a wet turkey will splash dangerously when placed in oil.
* Do not deep-fry the turkey in an attached building, such as a garage, or on a wooden deck.
* Make sure you have enough propane to last the entire frying time, about 40 to 49 minutes for a 10- to 14-pound bird.
* Keep an eye on the frying bird at all times.

from ehow.com

Gracias.