PDA

View Full Version : Region IV GotW (Round 2): Orange Grove vs Port Isabel

IHStangFan
11-18-2006, 10:40 AM
This one will be a shootout!! I think depending on who you talk to....you will hear that OG is the underdog, or PI is the underdog....PI is a traditioned program who is on the rise late in the season just at the right time....BUT...OG is playing GREAT football as well. I think I'm going to have to do the semi-homer thing and take OG by a TD.

carter08
11-18-2006, 10:41 AM
Port Isabel is quite possibly the best team in the Valley. They will win this one over OG

IHStangFan
11-18-2006, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by carter08
Port Isabel is quite possibly the best team in the Valley. They will win this one over OG I agree, they are the best team in the valley this year.....my question is...does the phrase "best team in the valley" MEAN anything this particular year? I have my doubts..but then again, I know PI's history and tradition, and they MAY just be as good as advertised. BUT...I'm not going to jump on that wagon until it's proven w/a win over OG. :thinking:

IHStangFan
11-18-2006, 10:44 AM
P.S.

Orange Grove only lost to Ingleside by a point. :doh:

carter08
11-18-2006, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
P.S.

Orange Grove only lost to Ingleside by a point. :doh:

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades

IHStangFan
11-18-2006, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by carter08
Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades true...but I saw you said you have Ingleside picked to take the region....my biggest fear is that we may have to face OG again. I think they are way under-rated.

stxfootballfan
11-18-2006, 11:22 AM
true...but I saw you said you have Ingleside picked to take the region....my biggest fear is that we may have to face OG again. I think they are way under-rated.

Can't face OG again they are DII, Ingleside is DI

pirate4state
11-18-2006, 11:25 AM
....my biggest fear is that we may have to face OG again. I think they are way under-rated. :doh: :doh: DUDE!! :doh: :D

See above post!! :p

44INAROW
11-18-2006, 11:28 AM
Gotta go with the Tarpons by 10 in this one :)

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-18-2006, 11:31 AM
Port Isabel played a very sloppy game vs. Lyford. 100+ yards in penalties, although they did a good job and kept turnovers to a minimum with 1 fumble.

Defensively, PI kept pressure on Lyford's QB all night long. Great job. Lyford's defense was pretty stout too and kept PI's ground game in check for a good chunk of the game.

IF Port Isabel can get those stupid penalties down and play mistake free football, I don't see why they can't win this game. Give me PI by 6.

sinton66
11-18-2006, 11:50 AM
I think I'll go with OG, no point prediction.

IHStangFan
11-18-2006, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by stxfootballfan
Can't face OG again they are DII, Ingleside is DI DOH...ive done that twice now!! :doh:

SintonFan
11-18-2006, 12:02 PM
This OG team is quite possibly the best they have had in generations. Their quickness is very very good. Fundamentally sound in all aspects of the game, not many weaknesses. It's gonna be a close game I bet.

Old Tiger
11-18-2006, 12:02 PM
PI

99IHSMustang
11-18-2006, 12:05 PM
I think OG has a really good team this year. They are fast, strong, and quick to the ball on defense. I think they probably the underdogs on this one, but I see an upset in the making. OG pulls out the win.

IHStangFan
11-18-2006, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by 99IHSMustang
I think OG has a really good team this year. They are fast, strong, and quick to the ball on defense. I think they probably the underdogs on this one, but I see an upset in the making. OG pulls out the win. "right you are Ken!" :D

AP Panther Fan
11-18-2006, 01:37 PM
OG by 2 TD's

footballgal
11-18-2006, 02:21 PM
PI minimizes penalties, they pull out the W. If it stays close, PI also has a good chance winning, as PI has several playmakers, that can quickly score and change the momentum of the game fast. With that said I pick my beloved Tarpons by 7

Plus, add the 12th man, to the mix (Tarpon Fans):D

Mustangpride09
11-18-2006, 02:24 PM
PI takes it.

sotxrat
11-18-2006, 02:25 PM
The matchup with PI will be interesting. PI will be good, period. They are well coached and have plenty of tradition going for them. OG has had no success the previous two meetings in the playoffs against PI. OG has the talent and the coaching to win, but mentally can the kids from OG win. This OG team has really been a pleasure to watch because they seem to really play as a team, there are no individual egos on the playing field. Sad to say but this is a little different than past OG teams. Therefore, I think that the OG kids will mentally feel like that they can win and with that mindset, they will be playing probably Hondo the next week. Game will be in Alice at 8 next Friday. Should be a good one. Good luck to both teams and have an injury free game.

SintonFan_inAustin
11-18-2006, 02:26 PM
PI by 3 td's. PI put this game away early. Good experience game for OG in making it to second round.

footballgal
11-18-2006, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
PI by 3 td's. PI put this game away early. Good experience game for OG in making it to second round. Are you serious? I see a close game, if in fact OG is that much better than last year.

SintonFan
11-18-2006, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by footballgal
Are you serious? I see a close game, if in fact OG is that much better than last year.
He forgot to add a smilie face at the end of his post.:D

SintonFan_inAustin
11-18-2006, 02:39 PM
yep but not to take anything away from OG but more to give credit to PI for their big win over RH:thumbsup: i think OG will have problems playing at this level of play that i think PI can bring.

IHStangFan
11-18-2006, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
yep but not to take anything away from OG but more to give credit to PI for their big win over RH:thumbsup: i think OG will have problems playing at this level of play that i think PI can bring. it will be interesting to see, but I must say I disagree w/ you. I picked OG to win, but even if they lose this one, there is no way it will be by 3TDs......just my opinion. I feel OG is being grossly underestimated. good luck to both teams.

pirate4state
11-18-2006, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by footballgal
Plus, add the 12th man, to the mix (Tarpon Fans):D

No kidding!! You guys get ROWDY!! Still trying to decide which game to go to on Friday! I just hope I feel better by then.

Ingleside Fan
11-19-2006, 10:52 AM
Orange Grove, there will be a herd of Mustangs there to support you. Gone Fishin' for Tarpon!

Go Bulldogs!:clap:

Maroon87
11-19-2006, 11:04 AM
Nice double header in Alice on Friday...Calallen/Beeville at 2pm, PI/OG at 7pm. Gotta love the playoffs!:cool:

TxStBobcat
11-19-2006, 04:14 PM
I would actually like to see PI win this one so that theres a chance they will face hondo. I remember the '03 game against PI, and I couldnt hardly walk afterwards. If they play again this year, should be an excellent game.

LH Panther Mom
11-19-2006, 10:59 PM
Orange Grove Bulldogs and Port Isabel Tarpons will play Friday, 8 pm, Alice, in this D2 round 2 game.

Orange Grove defeated Yoakum 42-14 and Port Isabel won over Lyford, 34-6, to get to the second round.

Thoughts? Predictions?

Boosty_Hondo
11-19-2006, 11:04 PM
i say PI on this one but i hope not cause i dont want to see a Hondo Vs. PI game because hondo has never beaten PI

TxStBobcat
11-19-2006, 11:06 PM
Im goin w/ PI. Plus I would LOVE to see this years team play PI, because i think they have what it takes to win. Plus, it would be one heck of a game. A lil revenge for the '03 game(j/k)

Boosty_Hondo
11-19-2006, 11:07 PM
lol matt wernt u on the 03 team?

TxStBobcat
11-19-2006, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Boosty_Hondo
lol matt wernt u on the 03 team?

exactly, thought it was one of the most tiring games i have ever played in. Couldnt even walk afterwards. In every meeting, these 2 teams leave everything out on the field. Hondo just hasnt finished on top, but this year is different.

Boosty_Hondo
11-19-2006, 11:12 PM
ya that game sucked we could have won it too many mistakes and middle of the day on the sat ... hot as hell

Old Tiger
11-19-2006, 11:43 PM
PI

footballgal
11-20-2006, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Nice double header in Alice on Friday...Calallen/Beeville at 2pm, PI/OG at 7pm. Gotta love the playoffs!:cool:
Actually it's PI Vs Orange Grove at 8:00pm

piratebg
11-20-2006, 08:29 AM
I'm gonna say OG wins in a shootout. :)

carter08
11-20-2006, 09:23 AM
Port Isabel

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-20-2006, 09:41 AM
If Port Isabel can minimize the silly/stupid penalties, I don't see why they can't win this game. However, if they play like they did against Lyford, a GOOD team like Orange Grove WILL take advantage of that, which would mean a LONG night for PI.

But I gotta be a homer here, picking my Tarpons to win. Give me Tarpons by 6.

11TARPON
11-20-2006, 11:47 AM
PI in a close one.

44INAROW
11-20-2006, 12:13 PM
I think it is close until the 3rd quarter - Port Isabel busts loose - to win by 10

IHStangFan
11-20-2006, 12:31 PM
I'm taking OG, and I'm taking OG because of their ability to play clean, team football w/ minimal penalties and very few mistakes.

gobbler grad
11-20-2006, 12:34 PM
Port Isabel pulls this out in the 4th qtr...
Orange Grove just runs out of gas...:(and throw in a couple of fumbles, too...

chito
11-21-2006, 02:07 PM
Tarpons by 7

footballgal
11-21-2006, 06:05 PM
GO Tarpons :clap:Go Tarpons Go!!! :clap:

NewYorkYankee
11-22-2006, 01:30 AM
PI 28
OG 14

pirate4state
11-22-2006, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by NewYorkYankee
PI 28
OG 14

Hey stranger!! Will you be at the game??? I plan on being there!! Let me know!

NewYorkYankee
11-22-2006, 01:51 AM
Hey long time no see!:D Yeah im going to try my hardest to be at the game and if I do go I'll definitely let you know.

pirate4state
11-22-2006, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by NewYorkYankee
Hey long time no see!:D Yeah im going to try my hardest to be at the game and if I do go I'll definitely let you know. Cool beans!! :)

SintonFan_inAustin
11-22-2006, 01:15 PM
PI 34-13 :cool:

Boosty_Hondo
11-22-2006, 04:12 PM
PI 42-21

pirate4state
11-23-2006, 11:13 AM
How far did PI go last year and how many starters returned from that team??

I'm thinking depth might pose a problem for OG, but ya never know.

footballgal
11-23-2006, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
How far did PI go last year and how many starters returned from that team?? ... We didn't do very well last year, had a subpar year. We beat West Oso in round one and lost to Devine in the 2nd round. We had several starters back, but the real talent, lies in the very new future. As an example, the Tarpons, have like 5 sophomores, as starters right now. Three on the O line, including the center and on defense, a linebacker and a RB, that has great speed. This RB btw, reminds me of Misael "Missile" Iracheta #21. It will be interesting, to see how far, we can go this year. Our QB (David Alaniz)is a Junior and one of our best recievers and DB (James Delgado) is also a Junior, oh and another RB, Nolan Nunez. But, starting next year, I expect great things. And hopefully a state championship in the near future. Our 8th grade to Varsity were all district champs, which is great but the best part of it is there is some good talent.

Originally posted by pirate4state
...I'm thinking depth might pose a problem for OG, but ya never know.
If that's the case, and if it's close by the 4th, Tarpons should have an advantage in that dept. There is some good depth on the team. In the regular season, we had 45-46 players, and now there is close to 80, for the playoffs. One thing I have noticed is that for the first time since I can remember, we actually have maybe one or two players, playing both ways. This use to be a common thing for PI. Our all-district LB from last year, Ralph Valdez, has been playing offense only, he is one of the primier running backs now, matter fact he was 2nd in district behind Rio Hondo's Robbie Mesa, by like less than 50yards. This has really helped them, as I see them finishing strong, in almost all their games.

sotxrat
11-23-2006, 07:06 PM
From reading the valley forum and looking at stats, it looks like PI offense is a mirror image of OG's, many different offensive contributors. Not just one or two person team by both teams. This game may turn out to be a shoot out. And by the way OG should be decent if not better the next couple of years. As far as depth goes, plenty of depth at all skill positions but as with most schools of OG's enrollment, they do have a few kids going both ways.

IHStangFan
11-23-2006, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by sotxrat
From reading the valley forum and looking at stats, it looks like PI offense is a mirror image of OG's, many different offensive contributors. Not just one or two person team by both teams. This game may turn out to be a shoot out. And by the way OG should be decent if not better the next couple of years. As far as depth goes, plenty of depth at all skill positions but as with most schools of OG's enrollment, they do have a few kids going both ways. yeah, I dont see it being the lop-sided blowout some are predicting here.

SintonFan_inAustin
11-23-2006, 08:01 PM
yeah, I dont see it being the lop-sided blowout some are predicting here. :nerd: look thru these glasses:)

footballgal
11-23-2006, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by sotxrat
From reading the valley forum and looking at stats, it looks like PI offense is a mirror image of OG's, many different offensive contributors. Not just one or two person team by both teams. This game may turn out to be a shoot out. And by the way OG should be decent if not better the next couple of years. As far as depth goes, plenty of depth at all skill positions but as with most schools of OG's enrollment, they do have a few kids going both ways.

I agree, from reading the CC caller article, it might be a shootout and it will depend on who stops who last.

Sounds like a making of a great game, I can't wait till tomrrow.

Go Tarpons!

footballgal
11-24-2006, 09:55 AM
Tarps set for showdown with OG

BY PETER RASMUSSEN The Monitor

ALICE

— As difficult as it might be to compare the 2003 state semifinalist Port Isabel Tarpons to the current crop of players, there is one glaring similarity.
Sixth-year Tarpons coach Monty Stumbaugh is quick to point out that the two teams are different, but he can’t ignore that both had uneven beginnings to their respective seasons before steamrolling through the season.
“Every team is different,” Stumbaugh said. “The 2003 team, they were tough. This team, they have come a long way. To start off 0-2 and then come back and win district says a lot about this team.
“I think they are confident like they were in 2003. Both teams played with confidence at the right time.”
Of course, the ‘03 Tarpons, who started their season 1-2, had a deep postseason run. The ‘06 Tarpons are still taking steps to get as far as their predecessors.
The next step in PI’s journey is a Class 3A Division II Area Round meeting with Orange Grove (10-1) at 8 tonight in Alice.
The Bulldogs and their high-powered running game will be a difficult step to overcome for the 9-2 Tarpons. Orange Grove, which is in the playoffs for the first time in four years, is deep in the backfield similar to Port Isabel.
“They are a good football team,” Stumbaugh said. “They are not 10-1 for nothing. They are quick. I can tell you that I was impressed with their speed. They do run a lot”
Stumbaugh also had praise for Bulldogs fullback Oscar Rodriguez, who led the team with 946 yards rushing on 134 carries and 16 TDs.
“He is a tough runner,” Stumbaugh said.
Rodriguez is only one of four Bulldogs backs with more than 300 yards rushing. The Tarpons have three backs that have rushed for more than 300 yards, led by senior running back Ralph Valdez (144-1,410, 14 TDs).
The Tarpons are guilty of running a lot too. They have 3,163 yards rushing to their 630 yards passing.
“Our team is not just happy to be here,” Stumbaugh said. “We are here and the kids want to go out there and win this thing.”

footballgal
11-24-2006, 09:58 AM
Fri Nov 24, 2006
PI looks to make it 10 straight
BY MIKE GONZALEZ
The Brownsville Herald

Monty Stumbaugh feels like he’s going to see a mirror image of his own team tonight.

While his Port Isabel Tarpons prep for their Class 3A Division II area round match with Orange Grove, Stumbaugh believes the Bulldogs play a similar style to his Tarpons.

“They do a good job of executing on offense, don’t make a lot of mistakes,” Stumbaugh said.

The contest marks the third time in the last four years PI has faced Orange Grove in the playoffs. The Tarpons (9-2 overall) have been fortunate to come out on top the first two times, but this Bulldog team enters the contest with a mark of 10-1. Stumbaugh said the Bulldogs have a new look to their scheme and a potent offense, which has averaged 354.8 yards per game. In addition to the yards per game, Orange Grove averages 35 points per contest and allows only 12. That’s why Stumbaugh hopes his offense shows up after racking up 395 yards against Lyford in last week’s bi-district match.

“We need to move the ball and play good defense,” Stumbaugh said.

Port Isabel enters the contest going for 10 wins in-a-row. An impressive feat considering the Tarpons started the season 0-2 with the last loss coming against Raymondville way back in September. Red-hot PI has been doing it the traditional way— running the ball and playing sound defense. But in the win over Lyford, the Tarpons and quarterback David Alaniz had a few surprises for that Bulldog team. Port Isabel ended the night with 216 yards passing, which included a 71-yard pass on a trick play from Rolando Grienier to James Delgado. Lyford at times had nine men on the box, so that’s the reason Stumbaugh confidently went to the air assult.

“We feel like we can throw if we have to,” Stumbaugh said. “We threw it caught them off guard a little bit. We hadn’t showed them that. David (Alaniz) made some good plays.”

The sixth-year coach also would love for PI to play defense just like it did the second half of the Lyford game where the Bulldogs were held in check. The “Seawall Defense” only gave up 191 yards total to the Willacy County school and Stumbaugh is crossing his fingers for that kind of performance tonight.

“That would be fantastic,” Stumbaugh said. “In the second half, we were able to some three-and-outs and some turnovers. You get some of those and you have a short field to work with.”

The winner of tonight’s game faces the winner of the Llano-Hondo contest also played tonight at Texas State University in San Marcos.

mgonzalez@brownsvilleherald.com

Posted on Nov 24, 06 | 12:00 am |

Darren
11-24-2006, 10:06 AM
I know that this is terrible reasoning but I am taking PI by 10 because I am a Giddings fan and we are playing West Orange Stark and I am routing against team this week with Orange in their names.

Good luck to both teams

footballgal
11-24-2006, 10:23 AM
lol, Thanks

11TARPON
11-24-2006, 11:17 AM
Tarpons by 10. I am hoping for a rematch with Hondo. I believe this is 6 straight area playoff games for the Tarpons. Go Tarpons!! Make the RGV proud.