PDA

View Full Version : Sweetwater's "unusual" halftime adjustment pays off

Phantom Stang
11-18-2006, 05:08 PM
Halftime adjustment leaves Eagles feeling blue
Written by Ben Barkley
At halftime, football coaches make the adjustments which should lead their team to a win.
But an unusually halftime adjustment for Sweetwater was one of the keys to victory over Argyle Friday night in the bi-district round of the Class 3A, Division II playoffs.
You see, the Argyle Eagles are one of those teams which line up at the ball and call plays on offense. And they loved to throw the football down the field.
So Sweetwater defensive coordinator Shane Mobley was on his toes all night — especially during the first half.
He was calling the plays for his unit and was wat-ching his team give up the short pass during the first half.
There was one problem. The defensive unit could not see Mobley on the sidelines calling the plays. Why?
Shane was wearing his light-colored sweatshirt. Okay, he was staying warm. But what was the problem.
“They couldn’t see me,” Mobley said at halftime.
So what did the coach do? He came out in the second half wearing a blue dress shirt.
Say What?!
That’s right, Shane was wearing a blue dress shirt.
“I was running around the lockerroom looking asking everyone and looking everywhere for a red shirt. I could not find one,” he said.
So what to do for a coach who has to be on his toes?
Mobley was searching for a shirt — anything he could find.
He said he went into the lockers where the players had changed and found a blue shirt belonging to Rufus McCann.
He put it on and the defense was able to see their coach calling the plays.
Did it help? Of course it did as Sweetwater won the game 20-14.
So instead of looking for Waldo in the mix, the Sweetwater defense saw their coach and rose to the challenge.

Copyright © 2006 Sweetwater Reporter

howboutthat
11-18-2006, 05:11 PM
And I thought it was because of my wearing red superstition.

DU_stud04
11-18-2006, 05:23 PM
i saw that, the only thing i could think of is so the could see him outta everyone else

Phantom Stang
11-18-2006, 05:27 PM
I'm glad it worked.
They were eating us alive with the screen pass.