PDA

View Full Version : Final:Sweeny 31 La Grange 7

CHEERDAD
11-17-2006, 11:16 PM
NM

IHStangFan
11-17-2006, 11:17 PM
dang, hate to say I called it....but I did.

hutex04
11-17-2006, 11:18 PM
gosh and i had la grange as my surprise team in the playoffs

Bull19
11-18-2006, 12:21 AM
CONGRATS LA GRANGE ON A FINE SEASON.

gobbler grad
11-18-2006, 12:25 AM
hated to see this happen...keep your heads up guys...you had a great season...:clap:

TAMUGRAD
11-18-2006, 12:25 AM
I had them making it another game or two.
Did not expect this.

IHStangFan
11-18-2006, 12:32 AM
been watching District 24 all year.....Sweeny is my sleeper team to take it all.

pirate4state
11-18-2006, 01:11 AM
Well, I didn't think it'd be this bad, but us girls picked Sweeny to win!! :D :thumbsup:

wedo
11-18-2006, 01:20 AM
I picked Sweeny to win!

What was Tank Carder's Stats?

Pudlugger
11-18-2006, 01:23 AM
First let me say that I sure underestimated that Sweeny team. They were very good and even though they made some mental errors early on they never really allowed the Leps to capitalize. Everything that was said about Tank Carder was true and the tailback #22 was outstanding for the Bulldogs. The Sweeny D pass coverage was excellent.

As for the Leps I think this loss goes to the coaches. When Callis reinjured his hamstring after the first offensive series when the Leps scored the coach just threw out the game plan and benched Callis until late in the 4th when the game was already lost. With the score tied 7-7 the Leps just kept throwing the football even though they were having some success in running with the rock. They ran two sucessive passing series 3 and out 5 minutes before the half when down by only a td. Not a single running play? Play calling was really atrocious. Somebody once defined insanity as doing the same thing over and over despite the fact that it fails. Oh well, no one really expected this team to go 8-3 and make the playoffs. Great season for the Leps. :(

Next year will be a difficult one as we have only a couple of starters back. Thanks for all the great positive support for the Leps from 3aDownlow. Time to move to my adopted team Cuero. Go Gobblers!:)

Dogs_21
11-18-2006, 01:47 AM
How about Them Bulldogs!!!! Tank Carder was just to much for La Grange in this one...Their offense just wasnt a good fit for them against that sweeny defense...Sweeny should win next week and battle it out with Liberty Hill in the 3rd Round...

Good Job Dogs..!!!!

Bull's-eye
11-18-2006, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
Well, no one really expected this team to go 8-3 and make the playoffs. Great season for the Leps. :(

Congratulations to LG on a fine season, they proved most of the experts wrong and gained the respect of many posters on this board. Good luck to Sweeny!

g$$
11-18-2006, 02:16 AM
Congrats to the Leps on a fine season & all the sportsmanship showed throughout the week & at the game tonight. Good people & fine community. Good luck in the future too.

Sweeny 31
La Grange 7

Game:
- LG took opening kick & scored (aided by Sweeny penalties & DB fell down on pass to the goal line on 4th & 9)
- Sweeny responded w/ a scoring drive capped by 31 yard run by Tank Carder
- from then on Sweeny dominated & I also questioned the play calling by LG (lots of QB draws & little else, occasional heave down the field, few short tosses here & there, no rhythm at all)
- LG fans: fake punt down 14-7 right before the half at around midfield? Sweeny missed FG anyway but that was a risky move & possible momentum shift before the half (of course if it works you look like a genius)
- Sweeny defense was outstanding & made some adjustments, O-line blocked well all night, total team effort by all players & coaches
- Sweeny's sweeps, counters, & fullback G plays gutted the Leps all night; LG had a big front 7 too
- Sweeny forced 4 turnovers (2 fumbles, 2 picks)
- all phases of the game were solid for Sweeny after the early penalties & jitters
- LG fought hard, but to me Sweeny just had more athletes & a solid game plan for the Leps.

Tank Carder was his usual self. Kid just brings it every snap & every week. If he is not All-State & a Division 1-A kid, then they ought to stop handing out accolades (he will play on Saturdays, only question is where at this point).
- scored 25 of Sweeny's 31 points (3 TDs, 4 PATs, 1 FG)
- 161 yds. rushing w/ 3 TDs on 18 carries
- solid LB play all night sideline to sideline
- exceptional kick-offs & punting too (only one kick-off did not land in end zone or beyond & it landed at the 1 yd. line, another kid did kick-off once too to give him a breather in 2nd half)
- team leader & absolute hoss.

Way to go Dogs! Total team effort, heck of a job.

**Sweeny plays Kirbyville next Saturday @ 1:00 PM in Conroe (Moorhead Stadium) as announced after game. GATA Dogs.

Pudlugger
11-18-2006, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Congrats to the Leps on a fine season & all the sportsmanship showed throughout the week & at the game tonight. Good people & fine community. Good luck in the future too.

Sweeny 31
La Grange 7

Game:
- LG took opening kick & scored (aided by Sweeny penalties & DB fell down on pass to the goal line on 4th & 9)
- Sweeny responded w/ a scoring drive capped by 31 yard run by Tank Carder
- from then on Sweeny dominated & I also questioned the play calling by LG (lots of QB draws & little else, occasional heave down the field, few short tosses here & there, no rhythm at all)
- LG fans: fake punt down 14-7 right before the half at around midfield? Sweeny missed FG anyway but that was a risky move & possible momentum shift before the half (of course if it works you look like a genius)
- Sweeny defense was outstanding & made some adjustments, O-line blocked well all night, total team effort by all players & coaches
- Sweeny's sweeps, counters, & fullback G plays gutted the Leps all night; LG had a big front 7 too
- Sweeny forced 4 turnovers (2 fumbles, 2 picks)
- all phases of the game were solid for Sweeny after the early penalties & jitters
- LG fought hard, but to me Sweeny just had more athletes & a solid game plan for LG.

Tank Carder was his usual self. Kid just brings it every snap & every week. If he is not All-State & a Division 1-A kid, then they ought to stop handing out accolades (he will play on Saturdays, only question is where at this point).
- scored 25 of Sweeny's 31 points (3 TDs, 4 PATs, 1 FG)
- 161 yds. rushing w/ 3 TDs
- solid LB play all night sideline to sideline
- exceptional kick-offs & punting too (only one kick-off did not land in end zone or beyond & it landed at the 1 yd. line, another kid did kick-off once too to give him a breather in 2nd half)
- team leader & absolute hoss.

Way to go Dogs! Total team effort, heck of a job.

Sweeny next plays Kirbyville next Saturday @ 1:00PM in Conroe (Moorhead Stadium)

Yep, that about sum's it up! Good luck the rest of the way Bulldogs!:)

scrub c
11-18-2006, 02:32 AM
congrats sweeny

(as we are in a weak district and all...)

Uncle Buck
11-18-2006, 02:53 AM
Hats off to La Grange they played a great game and had a great year. Congrats on your season.

g$$
11-18-2006, 03:23 AM
**They announced at conclusion of game Sweeny would play Saturday in Conroe; this article says Friday? Anyone know for sure the day & time for Sweeny's game?

Carder, Smith smash through La Grange

By Joel Luna
The Facts

Published November 18, 2006

HOUSTON — Sweeny running backs Tank Carder and Brandon Smith combined to lead Sweeny to a 31-7 Class 3A, Region III, Division II bi-district win over La Grange at Strake Jesuit’s Crusader Stadium on Friday night.

Carder and Smith lugged the ball for 244 yards on the ground, continuously punishing the Leopard defense.

“This was a hard fought 31-7. I’m telling you they have a good ball club,” Sweeny head coach Tommy Zajicek said. “We got some breaks in the second half and capitalized, which kind of put the thing out of reach. It kind of made them play a different game.”

Sweeny now moves on to the area round, where it will face Kirbyville at 1 p.m. Friday at Moorehead Stadium in Conroe.

Down 7-0, the Bulldogs (9-2) scored 31 unanswered points as the running of Carder and Smith softened the Leopard defense. In eight plays that covered 65 yards, Sweeny answered the Leopard touchdown as Carder eluded tacklers and romped in from 32 yards out to knot the game at 7 with 4:02 remaining.

“They kind of caught us off guard at the beginning and came out with what you call a poll cat offense,” Zajicek said. “We hadn’t seen that on the films and kind of had us off guard and off balance.”

After the defense stopped La Grange with constant pressure on quarterback Matt Woods the Bulldogs took over at their own 44-yard line.

After a 10 yard reception by Lucas Andrews and a 22 yard run by Smith, the Bulldogs were in business again at the Leopard 26-yard line.

Smith broke several tackles for a 23 yard run to set the ball up at the 3-yard line. Quarterback Marsh Zajicek then found Jeremy Johnson in the corner of the end zone for a 14-7 advantage, a lead Sweeny would keep into the half.

Offensively, the Bulldogs had more than 200 yards of offense in the first half, but more importantly the defense held La Grange to 105 yards in total offense. Leopard running back Hunter Callis, who had more than 1,000 yards in the season, was held to five in the first half.

Sweeny came out of the locker room and kept the ball for six minutes on its first drive. Carder connected on a 25-yard field goal to put Sweeny up 17-7.

On the ensuing kickoff, the Leopards (8-3) fumbled and Sweeny’s Jesse Alvarez recovered. It set up the Bulldogs at the 16-yard line.

Carder bulled his way in from eight yards out to extend the lead to 24-7.

“When Tank got running, they kind of shut down Brandon,” Zajicek said. “Tank really opened it up in the second half and we mixed up some passes to keep them honest.”

Carder gained 90 punishing yards in the second half, most coming between tackles. Carder scored three touchdowns, kicked a field goal and had four extra points. Carder finished with 161 yards on 18 carries and Smith had 83 on 21 totes.

“This is a good, hard-fought win,” Zajicek said.

The Sweeny defense held La Grange to 155 total offensive yards. Eighty-three of those yards came in the opening drive.

Old Tiger
11-18-2006, 03:30 AM
Good year La Grange huge improvement from the past two years! Good job sweeny on the W.

g$$
11-18-2006, 03:34 AM
Sweeny - is the next game Friday or Saturday? The Facts is reporting Friday & they announced Saturday at game.

Help please for family plans...

Pudlugger
11-18-2006, 10:53 AM
Just for the record the article states that Callis was held to 5 yards in the first half. Callis was benched with a hamstring injury after two carries in the first series of the game. Coach only put him in as a rb in the last series of the game after it was out of reach as he is a senior. He carried once for 12 yards and fumbled after his knees were down. The refs turned the ball over anyway. Made absolutely no difference but felt bad for Hunter to end his career like that. Basically Callis only kicked off for the Lepsafter that first series and #27 Janca was the rb last night. I guess that was why coach abandoned a good running game for the pass even though Janca is a solid runner. Play calling was not impressive. Sweeny dbs did a tremendous job on coverage.

carter08
11-18-2006, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Sweeny - is the next game Friday or Saturday? The Facts is reporting Friday & they announced Saturday at game.

Help please for family plans...

I'm hearing 2pm Friday in Conroe
Columbia will play at 7:30
Great chance to see 2 great teams on the same day

cropduster
11-18-2006, 12:39 PM
Great job dogs. Way tor represent our weak sidtrict. Buck, ya'll are doing a great job. Good luck next week.

Uncle Buck
11-19-2006, 01:31 PM
Sweeny will play at 1:00 in Conroe Friday

Thanks Crop, You guys Are doing great, keep it up.

carter08
11-19-2006, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Uncle Buck

Will they be Home or Visitors?

gato 76
11-20-2006, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by carter08
I'm hearing 2pm Friday in Conroe
Columbia will play at 7:30
Great chance to see 2 great teams on the same day

Hey Carter08,what type of offense& defense does sweeny run?

carter08
11-20-2006, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by gato 76
Hey Carter08,what type of offense& defense does sweeny run?

The Tank Carder offense. Give him the ball up the middle and ket him kick a field goal

g$$
11-20-2006, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Uncle Buck

Thanks Coach, much appreciated on the info. Great job by all & let's keep the train rolling. Take care.