PDA

View Full Version : Cuero vs Sinton

44INAROW
11-17-2006, 02:37 PM
From www.victoriaadvocate.com

Second-ranked Gobblers Not Looking Past Sinton
November 17, 2006 - Posted at 12:00 a.m.
BY MIKE FORMAN - ADVOCATE SPORTS WRITER
Cuero would like nothing better than to start the playoffs the same way the regular season began.

The Gobblers (10-0) opened the season with a 29-0 win over Sinton (4-6) and the teams are set for rematch in a Class 3A, Division II bi-district game today at 7:30 p.m. at Victoria's Memorial Stadium.

"They've improved," Cuero coach Mark Reeve said. "They're a better team and so are we. That first game seems like an ice age ago. Both teams are a lot better."

Cuero and Sinton went in different directions after playing each other. The Gobblers overcame a number of injuries to get through a difficult non-district schedule and breezed to the District 29-3A championship, while running its regular-season winning streak to 38 games.

Cuero held the No. 1 ranking in the Associated Press' state poll until this week when it fell to No. 2, one point behind Gilmer, which will compete in the Division I playoffs.

"I don't think it's a big deal," Reeve said. "The poll sure doesn't matter this week. I sense a lot of excitement, this being playoff time. Every game is a big ballgame. But our approach is never different. We approach every game pretty much the same."

Sinton was also hit hard by injuries, losing 12 starters, including five for the season. The Pirates bounced back from their loss to Cuero and defeated Gregory-Portland, but then lost four straight before winning three of their final four games to finish third in District 30-3A.

"We've had a rough one," Sinton coach Jimmie Mitchell said. "It's one of the roughest I've ever experienced. I guess if you're around long enough years like this are going to happen. I think our boys have shown a lot of character to get into this position. We were 1-5 and they could have quit. Instead, they reached down and won the games they needed to win."

Cuero and Sinton are no strangers when it comes to the regular season or the playoffs having met five times in the four years Reeve has been at Cuero, including the Gobblers' 31-0 win in the 2004 Division I quarterfinals.

"We put a bunch a stuff in during our open week that was pretty specific for the things we were going to run in the playoffs," Reeve said. "We put some different things in for Sinton because they've seen what we do and I'm sure they'll do the same for us."

Cuero has been balanced on offense with quarterback Kyle Noack passing for 2,103 yards and 27 touchdowns, and running back Fabian Olguin rushing for 1.081 yards and 10 touchdowns. Receivers Corey Scott and Tre Gray have combined for 93 receptions for 1,530 yards and 19 touchdowns.

"They are extremely talented, they really are," Mitchell said. "It's a big challenge and we're looking at it that way. It's another opportunity for us to make the most of it."

Sinton quarterback Wes Ring has passed for 499 yards and three touchdowns and rushed for 385 yards and four touchdowns in seven games.

"Sinton is always well-coached and its kids play hard," Reeve said. "It's been a good opponent for us."

The Gobblers have learned to get where they want to go, in this case the area playoffs against the winner of tonight's Rio Hondo-Raymondville game in Raymondville, they have to take every opponent seriously.

"This is my senior year and a bunch of us are seniors," Cuero linebacker Bo Pargmann said. "This is the time of year where you want to play harder and be really ready. You never know when you're last game is going to be."

NOTES: Tickets at the gate will be $8...Sinton will be the home team...The game will be broadcast on KEPG, 100.9 FM...Former Van Vleck athletic director and head football coach David Patterson is the principal at Sinton.

gobbler grad
11-17-2006, 02:42 PM
good article...hey, everyone driving up from Sinton, be careful and bring plenty of blankets ...it's gonna be kinda cool tonight...

pirate4state
11-17-2006, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by gobbler grad
good article...hey, everyone driving up from Sinton, be careful and bring plenty of blankets ...it's gonna be kinda cool tonight... thanks!! I know your drive is short, but be careful!!

I'll have the shirt with me, AGAIN :D so if anyone still hasn't signed it that wants to sign it I'll be haning around some where near the end zone at half time!! :)

jason
11-17-2006, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
thanks!! I know your drive is short, but be careful!!

I'll have the shirt with me, AGAIN :D so if anyone still hasn't signed it that wants to sign it I'll be haning around some where near the end zone at half time!! :) another sinton game ??

gobbler grad
11-17-2006, 02:46 PM

I'll have the shirt with me, AGAIN :D so if anyone still hasn't signed it that wants to sign it I'll be haning around some where near the end zone at half time!! :)

sure i've signed that one, but maybe we'll get a pic...

pirate4state
11-17-2006, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by jason
another sinton game ?? Well, it isn't as popular as when you and Kellye were in charge. It's no big deal to me. I'll be going to at least ONE game each weekend this playoff season.

Gobbla2001
11-17-2006, 03:15 PM

Not for me, gotta drive up to SA after the game tonight...

oh wellll

44INAROW
11-17-2006, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Not for me, gotta drive up to SA after the game tonight...

oh wellll

watch out for the deer between Mustang Mott and the bridge - I've done 3 deer claims this week out there :eek:

Gobbla2001
11-17-2006, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
watch out for the deer between Mustang Mott and the bridge - I've done 3 deer claims this week out there :eek:

no joke?

I would say "I'll just take the back-ways" but then you're talkin' about even more deer...

ugh...

thanks for the tip

pirate4state
11-17-2006, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
watch out for the deer between Mustang Mott and the bridge - I've done 3 deer claims this week out there :eek: I don't think I have to take that road, but that's what I hate about driving this time of year at night! :( Stupid deer, don't they know to stay off the roads??

Gobbla2001
11-17-2006, 03:54 PM
I don't think I have to take that road, but that's what I hate about driving this time of year at night! :( Stupid deer, don't they know to stay off the roads??

either go on the road or go about 200 yards infront of a deer-blind...

'round here the drought is what's gettin' 'em moving around so much... they're relying on corn and protien-feeders and those don't feed all day so they're doing some serious moving around to locate a good amount of food near water sources etc...