PDA

View Full Version : Wow...Texas teens among..... (NF)

lepfan
11-17-2006, 11:47 AM
....the worse------

Texas teens among 'nation's worst'
They're drinking, having sex at rates higher than U.S. average, report says
By Corrie MacLaggan

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Friday, November 17, 2006

Texas teens are significantly more likely to have sex, drink alcohol and drive drunk than their peers nationwide, according to a report being released today.

The report, Kids Count, a national and state-by-state effort to track children's well-being, does show some improvements for Texas teens: Fewer students are dropping out of school, for example.

MOST POPULAR STORIES
Mack names a quarterback
Texas teens among 'nation's worst'
Snead is ready when needed
11 accused in 4-county meth distribution ring
3 Jolie Bodyguards Arrested in India

But "when it comes to risky behaviors, Texas teens are among the nation's worst," said Frances Deviney, Texas director for Kids Count, which corrals data collected by various groups.

The Kids Count report, citing a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention survey, says that in 2005:

•52.5 percent of Texas high schoolers had sexual intercourse, compared with 46.8 percent nationwide.

•29.6 percent of Texas youth engaged in "episodic heavy drinking," compared with 25.5 percent nationwide.

•15.4 percent of Texas youth drove a car under the influence of alcohol, compared with 9.9 percent nationwide.

•37 percent of Texas youth rode with someone who had been drinking, compared with 28.5 percent nationwide.

A survey done four years earlier found similar results in Texas. But in the ensuing years, teens across the country became less likely to drink heavily and drive under the influence of alcohol, while Texas rates stayed about the same.

Susan McDowell, executive director of LifeWorks, which provides a network of services to youth and families in Austin, said that Texas' high child poverty rate and an education system that lags behind other states' contribute to problems as children become teenagers.

"We're investing less in children in Texas," she said. "We shouldn't be surprised that as they grow up, they're more prone to risky behavior."

The study did not show how Central Texas teens compared to the state data. But Tracy Lunoff, coordinator of health for the Austin Independent School District, said surveys show the district's "students aren't engaging in such risky behaviors." For example, pregnancy rates decreased last year, compared with the previous school year, as did the number of middle school and high school students disciplined for tobacco, drug and alcohol use, she said.

However, a 2006 report on the district's Web site shows that since 1996, the district's eighth, 10th- and 12-graders have used alcohol as much or more than their peers statewide and have used marijuana more.

Reagan High School sophomore Jesse Martinez, 15, said fellow classmates often give in to peer pressure.

"They don't want to seem like a punk around their friends, so they do something to fit in," he said. "People try so hard to fit in that it's not surprising that people want to get in cars with people who have been drinking or drink just to seem cool."

Since last year, Martinez has participated in a support program for teenage boys called XY-Zone, which is run by Communities in Schools-Central Texas Inc. at five Austin high schools, one Austin middle school and Georgetown High School. Through the program, he said he's learned it's important to say no to drugs and to avoid having sex until later in life. He said he's not participating in risky behaviors now. Before the program, he was "so-so" at avoiding such behaviors.

Communities in Schools-Central Texas CEO Suki Steinhauser said the nearly eight-year-old program, which has expanded beyond its original mission of pregnancy prevention, is working. Last school year, 69 percent of participants in the XY-Zone decreased their participation in sexual activity, fighting, drug and alcohol use and riding in a vehicle with someone under the influence, according to an independent evaluation, she said.

"They begin to see themselves as leaders with something to contribute rather than kids who are always getting into trouble," said Mike Hurewitz, senior program coordinator at Communities in Schools.

McDowell of LifeWorks said it's important to invest early and substantially in the overall health of children in order for them to avoid risky behaviors as they become teenagers. She said many of the teens LifeWorks meets didn't have a consistent, responsible adult in their childhood who made sure they were making healthy choices.

"The question we have to ask ourselves in Texas is: 'Are we providing kids the tools that they need to avoid risky behaviors?' " McDowell said. "In many cases in Texas, we struggle with that."

Other findings

•The high school dropout rate in Travis County declined 58.6 percent from 2000 to 2005. In the class of 2005, 354 teens in the county (4.8 percent) dropped out between ninth grade and graduation. The dropout rate in Texas declined by 40 percent in the same period.

•Child poverty in Texas has increased for the fourth straight year. That means there are more Texas children living in families below the federal poverty threshold ($19,971 for a family of four in 2005).

•Texas continues to have the highest rate of uninsured children in the nation.

Source: Kids Count State of Texas Children 2006

cmaclaggan@statesman.com; 445-3548

injuredinmelee
11-17-2006, 11:54 AM
I think there are two reasons it might be higher:

More rural areas of Texas. There isnt that much to do. Kids will turn to drinking etc and that can lead to the sex and the driving under the influence

or

OUR KIDS ARE MORE HONEST WITH THE POLLSTERS

lepfan
11-17-2006, 03:18 PM
You can't get more rural than where I am at today! And I will say the kids don't START drinking at as an early age as they did when we lived in LG. Up here they usually don't start their party mode until they are 17 or 18...in LG they started around 13 or 14. That is only my experience and I can not speak for any others.

Personally I don't think Texas teens are that much ahead than most...if any at all. I just live on the edge of hell right now and they don't see the trends until about 30 years later.

Gobbla2001
11-17-2006, 03:30 PM
I was thinking the same as injured, more honest with the pollsters...

plus that's just Texas, drinking is a very large part of the culture here... not an excuse, just and honest reason as to why this may be so...

as for sex, the kids are so happy livining here because it's the best state ever that they are in a world of their own, they're carefree, wild at heart, let their feelings fly, take off their clothes and do mommy-daddy stuff... you know how it is...

pirate4state
11-17-2006, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
I was thinking the same as injured, more honest with the pollsters...

plus that's just Texas, drinking is a very large part of the culture here... not an excuse, just and honest reason as to why this may be so...

as for sex, the kids are so happy livining here because it's the best state ever that they are in a world of their own, they're carefree, wild at heart, let their feelings fly, take off their clothes and do mommy-daddy stuff... you know how it is... :eek: :eek: ROFLMAO!!

AP Panther Fan
11-17-2006, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
I was thinking the same as injured, more honest with the pollsters....

My thoughts exactly when I read it.....

gobbler grad
11-17-2006, 04:33 PM
dang, and I thought we were bad...:thinking:

44INAROW
11-17-2006, 04:42 PM
Teens have sex and drink alcohol? :confused:

well, I never...............:devil: :eek: :p

pirate4state
11-17-2006, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
Teens have sex and drink alcohol? :confused:

well, I never...............:devil: :eek: :p

:evillol: :evillol: RIGHT

jlwzz
11-17-2006, 06:18 PM
OUR KIDS ARE MORE HONEST WITH THE POLLSTERS

you got that right, injured

SWMustang
11-17-2006, 06:53 PM
The problem with any survey is that if the organization performing the study has something to gain, the results can be skewed. What if the organization "Kids Count" can get more government funding by showing a problem?

This tactic was employed masterfully by the AIDS research funding folks - especially during the early years. The message sent was that everyone was at risk of contracting AIDS. To some degree we are, but statistics from the CDC clearly show that gay men and IV drug users are affected disproportionately from the population. The thinking was if we convince everyone that we're all at risk - more money can be raised for research.

bandera7
11-17-2006, 07:16 PM
You talked about Drinking being part of the culture, Gobbla...I agree with that one completely. And I also agree with the fact that teens in Texas are more honest, because in Texas, we have been raised to kind of always be honest, and not really care what the nation thinks of our culture. I know that is how I feel about Texas. And just as SWMustang said, this survey is probably skewed. In all likelihood, this organization is a northern organization, and they helped the numbers out by finding a percentage of honest, troublesome teens here in Texas...teens that dont do much other than drink and have sex. Therefore, it not only messes up the results, it gives the Yankees something to feel good about, a kind of ignorant self assurance that their kids are being so good. They probably picked Mr. and Mrs. America from up north, just so that they could be sure that their results would be lower.