PDA

View Full Version : Texas vs Rice in 2003 College Baseball World Series

Phil C
06-16-2003, 08:33 PM
Rice is ahead of Texas 11 - 2 in the seventh inning and has control of this game. No way Texas can come back against Rice's outstanding pitchers. Texas fell apart in the sixth inning just trailing by one run with two outs but bases loaded and Rice poured it on. The defending champions will not make it this year. Tomorrow they will have to face Miami again but even if Texas wins that which they should they would still have to beat Rice two straight times and that just isn't going to happen. Rice may be the new national champions this year. Bye bye Longhorns.

3afan
06-16-2003, 10:00 PM
well if Texas is not gonna win it guess I'll pull for Rice ...

Jimbotex40
06-17-2003, 12:01 AM
a jackrabbit drove in the only 2 runs for the horns

Phil C
06-17-2003, 08:37 AM
Rice did make one serious mistake in the game at the end. It was inadvertent but when Wade Townsend came to the bench after the 8th inning the 6ft9in pitcher from Rice was smiling and did a down with the horns sign on national tv. This is not just celebrating a victory but a put down. He probably wasn't aware that the ESPN camera was on him but if anyone from Texas was recording the game the danger is that it might be photographed and sent to the team to fire them up for when Texas plays Rice in the two games (I am assuming Texas will beat Miami). I can't think of anything that would fire the team up any more. Rice has given Texas something to fire them up not just for the CWS but for next year when the two teams meet. Rice may have awakened a sleeping giant.

rholl
06-17-2003, 09:03 AM
I think its classic when a player from another team flashes an "upside down" hook 'em
rather than a display for their own team. Having a choice between doing something that represents their team or one that represents the Horns and they choose something that represents the Horns!

Old Cardinal
06-17-2003, 09:57 AM
I personally think that the Rice team is a class act. They have to be Scholars first, because the grades are not given away to the athletes--in weak Degree plans. I support them all the way, and am glad that all the Texas teams were so prevailent in the Series.

shellman54
06-17-2003, 10:11 AM
well, being an avid aggie fan, my opinion may be biased, but i see nothing wrong with what the guy from rice did. i mean, he didn't yell obscenities at the camera in reference to t.u., he was having fun, like most college students do. and if not getting beat by 10 runs in the college world series doesn't wake you up, then some little hand gesture on tv won't do it either.

rholl
06-17-2003, 10:17 AM
shellman...College is about having fun and there is nothing wrong with that......if your are doing the tomahawk chop.....doing some little dance in the dugout fun is fun.......I just think its funny when the other team shows a sign that represents another team even if they think its a putdown....they are still doing something that represents another school...instead of doing something that represents their school!

shellman54
06-17-2003, 11:10 AM
ok, so what is rice's hand gesture again? do you lock your thumbs together and wiggle your fingers? or is that there third base coaches hand signal for suicide squeeze bunt?

rholl
06-17-2003, 11:15 AM
thats up to Rice to come up with....those guys are smart..they can figure something out!! but if nothing else maybe point to school logo on cap....hold up a #1...something...but represent your school...not the opponents! I would rather see an A&M RB giving a "Gig 'em after crossing the goal line rather than an upside down Hook 'em
at least he is demonstrating something that represents his school instead of an opponents!

<small>[ June 17, 2003, 11:20 AM: Message edited by: rholl ]</small>