PDA

View Full Version : Wylie/Decatur Preview

Adidas410s
11-17-2006, 07:58 AM
Familiar faces await Bulldogs
Fourth meeting of Wylie-Decatur in 2-year span

By Nathan Sanders / sandersn@reporternews.com
November 17, 2006

A November playoff game against an undefeated and state-ranked team from Decatur. The Wylie football team has seen this scenario before, and the Bulldogs would be more than happy if this sequel is a rerun.

The fourth meeting in the past 25 months between the Eagles (10-0) and Bulldogs (8-2) takes place tonight in the Class 3A Division I bi-district round in Southlake. Wylie has won two of the previous three encounters, including a 14-13 upset of second-ranked Decatur in the regional final on its way to the 2004 state title. Now the bracket brings them together again.

''I think it's a complement to both programs that we have a rivalry in the playoffs,'' Wylie coach Hugh Sandifer said. ''They have a lot of history and tradition, and I'm sure that they haven't forgotten that defeat in 2004 when they were 12-0 and ranked No. 2.

''I think this has got to be one of those games that will be getting attention state-wide.''

Making the game even more intriguing are the similarities the teams share.

Dual threats at quarterback. Senior Gary Edwards has been the catalyst for the Wylie offense, averaging 7.9 yards per rush in addition to being a 1,000-yard passer. But the Eagles feature a playmaker of their own in 6-foot-2 senior Brandon Cobb, who has thrown for 1,575 yards and 18 touchdowns and rushed for 1,032 yards and 18 more scores.
Both players were at their game-breaking best in their last regular-season meeting on Sept. 30, 2005. Cobb threw for 272 yards and rushed for 132, but Edwards stole the show with 214 all-purpose yards and three touchdowns in Wylie's 43-33 home victory.

''He makes them go,'' Sandifer said of Cobb. ''He's a threat to run with it and take it to the end zone, but he's also a very accurate passer. He's one of the best football players that we have played against this year.''

Sweet success. Wylie and Decatur share one common opponent: the Sweetwater Mustangs.
Both had to rally from 10-point halftime deficits to survive. Cobb rushed for 151 yards and three touchdowns as the Eagles outscored Sweetwater 30-6 after halftime for a 40-26 victory at the Gordon Wood Classic in Brownwood. Wylie turned a 17-7 halftime hole into a 31-24 home triumph thanks to 80 second-half rushing yards by Edwards and two critical Sweetwater miscues.

Sweetwater rushed for 304 yards against Decatur and 271 against Wylie. Mustangs tailback Joseph Banyard topped 170 yards rushing and scored twice against both defenses.

Late-season letdown. Decatur led 21-7 at the half against a 2-8 Bowie squad last week, then did just enough to hang on for a 28-20 victory. Wylie can identify. The Bulldogs led last-place Comanche 24-0 six seconds into the second quarter last week, then sleepwalked to a 24-14 final. Now both teams will try to snap back into championship form.
''I think we grew a little bit complacent and just played not to lose in that game against Comanche,'' senior offensive lineman Zach Overbey said. ''That was one of the biggest mistakes we made all year. But like Coach Sandifer told us, one half out of 10 games, that's not bad. We're working hard this week to correct that problem, and I think we'll be ready to go (tonight).''

Sandifer isn't worried about his team's intensity level.

''If you have to worry about your team being fired up for the playoffs, you're in trouble,'' he said.

Especially when it's Wylie-Decatur IV.

If You Go ...

Wylie (8-2) vs. Decatur (10-0), 7:30 p.m., Dragon Stadium, Southlake

VWG
11-17-2006, 08:06 AM
The name of this game... stop the QB's. Both are such high impact players that whoever shuts down the opposing QB will have the upper hand. Another piece of the puzzle.... missed tackles. Watch in this game which defense doesn't make the mistake of missing tackles.