PDA

View Full Version : Troy Smith = great NFL qb

football4life
11-16-2006, 11:37 PM
agree? disagree? i give him a year or so learning an NFL system, then i would expect him to flourish, he has incredible athletic ability obviously, and no doubt the guy can throw the ball. pocket presence has improved a lot as well.

Chris Hart
11-16-2006, 11:38 PM
Better than Vince in the NFL, but never a superstar...

Old Tiger
11-16-2006, 11:41 PM
http://dvdmg.com/superstar.jpg

big daddy russ
11-16-2006, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by football4life
agree? disagree? i give him a year or so learning an NFL system, then i would expect him to flourish, he has incredible athletic ability obviously, and no doubt the guy can throw the ball. pocket presence has improved a lot as well.
He's one of those Mike Vick/Vince Young-types. They're so used to relying on their athletic ability in college that when they get to the pros they take a little while to adjust. Some (Donovan McNabb, Daunte Culpepper, Vick) learn how to succeed while others (Andre Ware, Akili Smith, Kordell Stewart) never quite "get" it.

It's so tough to project the QB position that we won't know until two to five years down the road. I do know that his size hurts him (he's pushing 6'1" and is nowhere near as athletic as Vick) and isn't projected to go until the second, third, or fourth round. But who knows, someone may take a flyer on him in the first.

football4life
11-16-2006, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
He's one of those Mike Vick/Vince Young-types. They're so used to relying on their athletic ability in college that when they get to the pros they take a little while to adjust. Some (Donovan McNabb, Daunte Culpepper, Vick) learn how to succeed while others (Andre Ware, Akili Smith, Kordell Stewart) never quite "get" it.

i agree, but i really don't get that Vick/vince feel when i watch troy smith play, it's more like i'm watching a pure qb with great ability, like a mcNabb.

Old Tiger
11-16-2006, 11:49 PM
i agree, but i really don't get that Vick/vince feel when i watch troy smith play, it's more like i'm watching a pure qb with great ability, like a mcNabb. Vince will be great :):cool:

big daddy russ
11-16-2006, 11:54 PM
i agree, but i really don't get that Vick/vince feel when i watch troy smith play, it's more like i'm watching a pure qb with great ability, like a mcNabb.
He does remind me more of McNabb or a Culpepper than anyone else, but he's also not as athletic as Young, Vick, Joe Hamilton, etc. He's already a better pocket passer than Vince, but his height hurts him there. He's going to have to learn to use his speed more in the NFL and go to a system where they can get him outside the pocket (Denver, maybe? Green Bay, as some competition with Aaron Rogers?). He can throw fairly well on the run, but still needs more work in that department.

McNabb is what, a legit 6'3" or 6'4"? I think Smith's a little taller than 6.' As silly as it sounds, that's a huge difference in the NFL. Not only with your line of sight, but also with your release point. McNabb's release point is probably 5-6 inches higher than Smith's, and when the defensive and offensive linemen are 6-6, 300 lbs, and have a 35-inch vert, every inch matters.

Not saying he won't be great. He has all the tools and already has a better knack for the pocket than Vince as of right now or Vick as of two years ago, just pointing out that he has more limitations than those two.

But then again, Seneca Wallace is what, 5'11"?