PDA

View Full Version : Taking A Knee When A Player Gets Hurt???

Curly
11-16-2006, 01:50 PM
Taking a knee when a player is injured?
Where and when did it become common practice for teams to “Take a Knee” or to kneel down when a player got hurt in a game?
I have a theory that this a little league soccer,peewee (popwarner football) or little league baseball tradition that has filtered it’s way into High School football.

My Theory goes like this:
Theory: In a little league soccer game some child gets tripped and a time out is called. Little league soccer coaches would tell the 3,4& 5 year old to take a knee while they checked on the injured child. The reason was, you have to give the little rug rats something to do so that while you checked on little jimmy who got tripped and bruised his leg, (cause he can’t walk and chew gum at the same time)- you can’t very well wrangle 15 other little children.
So 10-11 years latter when the little darlings are playing High School Football and someone gets the crap knocked out of em, the players revert back to what their little league coach taught them, because he happened so often in pee wee soccer or pop warner football, the kids think they have to “Take a Knee”- Don’t give me that line about- Well it just shows respect for the injured party” Crap Defensive Linemen and Linebacker are trying their best to knock a Running back or QB out of the game.
Football is a collision sport – not contact- not physical – AN ALL OUT COLLISION SPORT.

And that brings up another gripe,
Players that get the wind knocked out of em’ laying on the field, while every trainer on the field checks em’. And then 2 plays later they are back at full speed.
What ever happened to the days of –If your hurt crawl to the sidelines, but don’t lay on the field?

DaHop72
11-16-2006, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Curly
Taking a knee when a player is injured?
Where and when did it become common practice for teams to “Take a Knee” or to kneel down when a player got hurt in a game?
I have a theory that this a little league soccer,peewee (popwarner football) or little league baseball tradition that has filtered it’s way into High School football.

My Theory goes like this:
Theory: In a little league soccer game some child gets tripped and a time out is called. Little league soccer coaches would tell the 3,4& 5 year old to take a knee while they checked on the injured child. The reason was, you have to give the little rug rats something to do so that while you checked on little jimmy who got tripped and bruised his leg, (cause he can’t walk and chew gum at the same time)- you can’t very well wrangle 15 other little children.
So 10-11 years latter when the little darlings are playing High School Football and someone gets the crap knocked out of em, the players revert back to what their little league coach taught them, because he happened so often in pee wee soccer or pop warner football, the kids think they have to “Take a Knee”- Don’t give me that line about- Well it just shows respect for the injured party” Crap Defensive Linemen and Linebacker are trying their best to knock a Running back or QB out of the game.
Football is a collision sport – not contact- not physical – AN ALL OUT COLLISION SPORT.

And that brings up another gripe,
Players that get the wind knocked out of em’ laying on the field, while every trainer on the field checks em’. And then 2 plays later they are back at full speed.
What ever happened to the days of –If your hurt crawl to the sidelines, but don’t lay on the field? Possibly going to a knee comes from taking a moment to pray for the injured player?

Curly
11-16-2006, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
Possibly going to a knee comes from taking a moment to pray for the injured player?

HOP you know Baptist don't pray that long
we got to beat the Methodist and Campbellites to Mrs. Allens for Sunday Lunch

Seriously I understand being quiet and all
but if a coach needs to get another player ready to go in
or if the team inflicting the injury wants to deal with a cheap shot
being on the ground aint gettin either of those things done

DaHop72
11-16-2006, 02:03 PM

http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/9392/hystericalmh2.gif (http://imageshack.us)http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/9392/hystericalmh2.gif (http://imageshack.us)http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/9392/hystericalmh2.gif (http://imageshack.us)http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/9392/hystericalmh2.gif (http://imageshack.us)

Okay, let me clean my screen and I'll try again.:D

SWMustang
11-16-2006, 02:04 PM

Seriously I understand being quiet and all
but if a coach needs to get another player ready to go in
or if the team inflicting the injury wants to deal with a cheap shot
being on the ground aint gettin either of those things done

campbellites...:doh: LOL - I always thought they were saying Camelites - as in they won't smoke camels but they will smoke camel lights. Sorry to get off topic...:doh:

handNthedirt
11-16-2006, 02:17 PM
energy saver...nothing more.

Old Tiger
11-16-2006, 02:18 PM
I always went to the sideline to get my checks and what not from the coach and get a squirt of water since I didn't go to the sideline much.

handNthedirt
11-16-2006, 02:23 PM
they brought water to us.....they tend to come to you when you're ballin' outta control.

Old Tiger
11-16-2006, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by handNthedirt
they brought water to us.....they tend to come to you when you're ballin' outta control. They brought water to us also but they didn't bring the checks that the guys who just played defense got. :)

Curly
11-16-2006, 02:43 PM
See that's what I mean - making adjustments ect.....
but then you got these fools in the stands hollarin for the other team "Take and Knee whaaaa whaaaa whaaaaaa"
Sit down
Shut up
and let the players play and the coaches coach

whtfbplaya
11-16-2006, 02:54 PM
energy saver...nothing more.

I thought everyone knew that?:confused:

Old Tiger
11-16-2006, 02:56 PM
energy saver...nothing more. Doesn't it take more energy to take a knee then get back up from it?;) :confused:

Boosty_Hondo
11-16-2006, 03:22 PM
i think its to pray for the person that is hurt well that is what i did most of the time atleast

Ranger Mom
11-16-2006, 03:26 PM
I'm sorry curly, I have to disagree with you.

I think it's done out of pure respect for the player that is hurt.

I don't think it makes you a sissy or any less of a player either.

It's just respect, which you just don't see a whole lot of these days!

Curly
11-16-2006, 03:31 PM
Well I will always respect a mothers point of view
sooooooooo
I better shut up
I still think ---
oh whats the use momma's allway right

Ranger Mom
11-16-2006, 03:37 PM
Well I will always respect a mothers point of view
sooooooooo
I better shut up
I still think ---
oh whats the use momma's allway right

LOL! I realize it doesn't make the player any less hurt if the teams are on their knees, standing up, or dancing around!

But, I have to admit that it does my heart good to see both teams immediately take a knee and the crowd become hushed!!

I guess that's just the "girl" in me!!:)

STANG RED
11-16-2006, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
LOL! I realize it doesn't make the player any less hurt if the teams are on their knees, standing up, or dancing around!

But, I have to admit that it does my heart good to see both teams immediately take a knee and the crowd become hushed!!

I guess that's just the "girl" in me!!:)

SISSY!:p

coach
11-16-2006, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I'm sorry curly, I have to disagree with you.

I think it's done out of pure respect for the player that is hurt.

I don't think it makes you a sissy or any less of a player either.

It's just respect, which you just don't see a whole lot of these days!

she is exactly right.....its not to pray or rest or w/e else you dou it is to show respect to the injured person. now if you want to pray be my guest...but what i dont like is when the players are out there talking and grab a$$in around.....show respect do what you would want to be down if that was you on the ground.

CenTexSports
11-16-2006, 06:51 PM
The players are instructed to take a knee by the officials and water is allowed to be brought on the field. No coaching is allowed. This would give an advantage to the team that does not have an injured player. They can lay down, sit down or stand as long as they give plenty of room to the injured player and are not coached by their respective sideline.

LHMom
11-16-2006, 07:28 PM
I agree that it is respect/concern for that player, and if nothing else, it keeps the crowd from continuing to "cheer" when a kid is out there hurt. You won't likely know just how much that means until it is your kid laying on the field.

Pudlugger
11-16-2006, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by LHMom
I agree that it is respect/concern for that player, and if nothing else, it keeps the crowd from continuing to "cheer" when a kid is out there hurt. You won't likely know just how much that means until it is your kid laying on the field.

Right!

Ranger Mom
11-16-2006, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
SISSY!:p

I'm glad you think that!! I have always been somewhat of a "tomboy"...so it's nice to see you have seen my "girlish" charms!!:inlove: :kiss: :inlove:

CenTexSports
11-16-2006, 07:37 PM
HELLO!!! Did you not read my post? Taking a knee is a field mechanic dictated by the OFFICIALS to keep one team from getting an advantage over a team with an injury. Many coaches still try to coach during injury time outs. They don't care about the playeer except to hope it is not a devasting injury.

Ranger Mom
11-16-2006, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
HELLO!!! Did you not read my post? Taking a knee is a field mechanic dictated by the OFFICIALS to keep one team from getting an advantage over a team with an injury. Many coaches still try to coach during injury time outs. They don't care about the playeer except to hope it is not a devasting injury.

Who are you talking too?

CenTexSports
11-16-2006, 07:49 PM
Obviously nobody.

Gobbla2001
11-16-2006, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
HELLO!!! Did you not read my post?

DAMNNNN man chill...

but I've seen it where the teams were allowed to go back to their sideline as the coach talked to 'em, but they were still on a knee...

CenTexSports
11-16-2006, 08:14 PM
Just kidding around. BUT if you have a CHILL pill, I could use one.

bandera7
11-16-2006, 08:23 PM
Ive always wondered why players HAD to take a knee as well...I mean you can still be respectful while standing, just dont talk crap and run around. Thanks for clearing that up Centex, I never got it, and I think its ridiculous

Pudlugger
11-16-2006, 08:32 PM
It's not ridiculous. When a player is down one of your own is hurt. You show respect for him regardless of what team he is on. You also show respect for his parents who are holding their breath in the stands. Anything less is like a turd in the punch bowl. Got it Buttercup?:mad:

Rabbit'93
11-16-2006, 09:14 PM
Interesting subject. Haven't really thought about it because We didn't do it 12-13 years ago.

I do think you're right on though Curly. Taking a knee was probably used to keep youths together.

This respect thing every one keeps throwing around puzzles me. I'm a linebacker who wants nothing more than to light a RB up. When I do we all have to "honor" a player who did nothing more than get his bell rung. That's not football to me. I have more respect for someone that actually get up after a hit.

As far as prayer goes we'll do that before the game and pray for no injuries and we'll do it after on the 50 for those who didn't participate the first time we did it.:D

LH panthers
11-16-2006, 09:19 PM
its showing respect, and good sportsmanship

Ranger Mom
11-16-2006, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by LH panthers
its showing respect, and good sportsmanship

If I am not mistaken, I think someone told me you are player...so I certainly respect your opinion on this....and I agree 100%.

I hope coaches have a little more class than to "not care about the player laying on the field".

If they don't, I don't even wanna hear about it.......because I know I am always worried about them...no matter what team they play for. It's just human kindness as far as I am concerned!