PDA

View Full Version : Buying A New Camera

Adidas410s
11-16-2006, 09:41 AM
So after 10 or so days of searching...my camera still hasn't shown up so it looks like I will have to purchase a new one. I have a basic understanding of what to look for in a camera but was wondering if anybody had any specific camera recommendations. I would love to buy an SLR but right now I don't have the money for it and for Adobe Photoshop. My only request is that it still be a camera that takes SD cards as I already have 3 cards and don't care to buy a new type of card for my camera.

wyliegrad04
11-16-2006, 10:06 AM
Adidas, besides my DSLR I also have a Nikon S6. I got it in May before I left for Califoria because it is very slim and I didn't want to lug around my DSLR.

Might want to look into the Nikon cameras, very good camers and hold up well. I shot about 2500 pictures this summer on the S6 and it's scratched up and beat up pretty good but still the same great quality pics ... It also has a huge screen, something like 2.5 inches or maybe 2.7

And then save up some money and get a DSLR and you'll go crazy with it :) I've had mine for a little over two years and shot 15,000 pictures ...

Nikon | Products (http://nikonimaging.com/global/products/digitalcamera/coolpix/index.htm)

wyliegrad04
11-16-2006, 10:09 AM
something else too ... the S6 connects to your computer wirelessly (is that a word??) ... it's pretty cool. Also can connect to your wireless printer if you have one (I don't).

the whole coolpix line is good, even some of the older ones are still very good. The L4 is one of my favorites, mom used that for tennis for a couple of years. maybe get an L4 on eBay?

BrahmaDAD70
11-16-2006, 11:05 AM
I am a huge Photo freak.
I take 600 shots per game.
What are you going to use the camera for?
Sports, fast action? Stills?
Or just point & shoot
looking for zoom type?
I can really help if I know what type of shot your looking for.
bellvillebrahmas.com
is where I post my pics
Thanks

Adidas410s
11-16-2006, 11:16 AM
right now I'm looking at the Canon PS S3 IS and the Kodak Z612. I'll take a look at that Nikon though. I'm like you with my phototaking. In the 18 months or so that I've had my camera, I've taken about 8,500 photos. I really need to start cleaning those off my computer now that I think about it...:thinking: I'm ready to progress from point & shoot to a "super zoom" type camera so that I can become more familiar with the basic manual adjustments that can be made. I want to learn more about the finer points of photography before taking the big plunge into the dSLR world and loading myself down with lenses and equipment.

You gonna be in Southlake tomorrow?

Adidas410s
11-16-2006, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by BrahmaDAD70
I am a huge Photo freak.
Or just point & shoot
looking for zoom type?
bellvillebrahmas.com
is where I post my pics
Thanks

Here is what I just posted over on a photo website that I was referred to:

A couple of thoughts on my experiences and constraints:

- Most of my experience has been using regular point & shoot cameras. Easy, fun...but nothing special. I have friends that have Digital SLR's and I have used them some though right now I'm not quite ready to invest the time and money needed to maximize the benefits of a dSLR.
- Most of my shooting is at sporting events (mainly football but some basketball/hockey) with some wildlife and indoor events (family related) mixed in. I can sacrifice quality indoors if I have a camera that can improve my quality of pictures at sporting events.
- Also, I like to use the video options at concerts (I attend 2-3 per month) but my previous cameras had very poor sound quality in anything but acoustic environments. Again, this is a secondary feature I would like to be able to use.
- I have 3 or 4 SD cards ranging from 128MB to 1GB and I want to continue to use these so buying a Sony camera is not an option here.

Price isn't too big of an issue, though as I stated previously I'm not wanting to jump into the dSLR realm just yet so for purposes of this discussion I'll set a price cap of $500.

Currently, I've been looking at the Canon PS S3 IS and the Kodak Z612. I am willing to consider other models if they would be a better fit for my needs. Thanks in advance for your help.

wyliegrad04
11-16-2006, 11:29 AM
both of the cameras you mentioned are good ... I just like Nikon ...

they both have really good zooms, about as good as you will get in a point & shoot digital.

i'm not sure how good the video quality/sound quality would be, but I would bet it would be decent to good.

the best place to read reviews/comments about cameras is DPReview (http://www.dpreview.com) They have pretty much every camera/lens there is.

And then of course the best thing to do is to go down to a local camera shop and try them out. Try them out in the store and then buy from where ever you want.

When you get around to looking at DSLR, let me know. I had Wayne Henington help me pick mine out ... It's a Nikon. I don't have the ultra expensive lenses, I don't really need them right now.

As far as storing pics on your computer, get an external hard drive ... I have a 170 gb external that I use only for music and pics. I have about 140 gigs used ... I will soon be looking for something new.

Yes, I will be in Southlake, with my camera. I have been averaging around 400-600 pics for each game. I took about 1100 pics at Region marching in October.

wyliegrad04
11-16-2006, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by BrahmaDAD70
I am a huge Photo freak.
Or just point & shoot
looking for zoom type?
bellvillebrahmas.com
is where I post my pics
Thanks

what cam/lens do you mostly use for the pics on bellvillebrahmas.com??

BrahmaDAD70
11-16-2006, 10:13 PM
I have a Olympus Evolt
It came with 2 lenses
I mostly use the 40-150 mm Zoom lens
I works great. I can shoot 3.5 fps
and completly adjustable.
I will be at the Bellville game with camera in hand
I will post pics the next day on the website

big daddy russ
11-16-2006, 10:18 PM
Out of my experiences (Kodak, Canon, Nikon, and currently have a Konica/Minolta), Canon and Nikon bring out the best colors. I used to shoot for the paper I worked for, and did some stuff on the side. The Konica we (Amanda and me) own right now is an 8 megapixel point and shoot, but looking back on it I wish I had gone with the 5-megapixel Canon I was looking at. The Konica and Kodak kind of washed everything out, but my best friend got the Canon and his pictures turned out much better than mine.