PDA

View Full Version : Famous people that you've met

RMAC
11-15-2006, 04:36 AM
One weekend my parents and I stayed at the Westin in Dallas. I talked to Stevo and Johny Knoxville, didn't even know it was them as Jackass had just started getting big. They asked me if I watched it, and I was like 12, so I said, not wanting to look like a loser b/c I didn't watch MTV, that I did, and they said well yeah, you'll see us on there. Then there was this big guy standing in the lobby talking to some people and my dad asked me if I knew who it was and he told me it was Rocket Ismail. Any others you guys?

bulldogman06
11-15-2006, 05:05 AM
I met Robert Gates, soon to be U.S. Secretary of Defense and Alan Pinkett, great running back for ND back in the day. I also talked to Kinky Freidman for 35-40 minutes, just me and some buddies, talkin about guy stuff, which was hilarious..........
And Ive seen and or just said hello to George W. Bush, David Robinson, Tim Duncan, Sean Elliot, Rasho Nesterovich, Tom Benson (Saints Owner).

RMAC
11-15-2006, 05:09 AM
Originally posted by bulldogman06
I met Robert Gates, soon to be U.S. Secretary of Defense and Alan Pinkett, great running back for ND back in the day. I also talked to Kinky Freidman for 35-40 minutes, just me and some buddies, talkin about guy stuff, which was hilarious..........
And Ive seen and or just said hello to George W. Bush, David Robinson, Tim Duncan, Sean Elliot, Rasho Nesterovich, Tom Benson (Saints Owner).

That's cool. I'd like to meet some of those mentioned.

DU_stud04
11-15-2006, 06:06 AM
ive met danny and melissa from the real world austin, ive met kinky freedmen as he was hitting on my friend, paubo francisco, bono from u2, ruben ramos(tejano legend), carlos mencia ( i drove him around in a security golf cart on campus with his guard), ron jermey (the sex king), the indian dude from harold and kumar the other night, 6pac the wrestler,

few others i cant remember from the top of my head

lostaussie
11-15-2006, 07:08 AM
I met DU Stud, Mwynn, Gsquared and PPHS:D

LHMom
11-15-2006, 07:37 AM
My brother is good friends w/ Terry Bradshaw. He threw a surprise birthday party for my brother at his house. Needless to say it is beautiful. And he is crazy.

g$$
11-15-2006, 07:47 AM
Rocket Ismail is a little guy! Very fast in his day, but not big at all.

Met:
- George H.W. Bush in the Rec Center at A&M
- Rick Perry in Kyle Field suite one year vs. Notre Dame
- Earl Campbell when he was at Texas & I was a kid (my dad knew people & got us in the locker room)
- Shaquille O'Neal in hs basketball game in Kerrville
- worked for Astros so knew Bagwell, Biggio, Caminiti, Gonzo, D. Kile, Drabek, Hudek, Dierker, etc. (all good guys)
- worked at A&M in Athletics so knew RC Slocum & all the guys in mid 90s thru 2001 (Dat, Dante' Hall, Ty Warren, etc.)
- Ray Childress (big dude not fat) at a function once
- former Longhorn Roy Williams on his recruiting trip to A&M
- met Roger Clemens, Giff Nielsen & Drabek (again) as all had sons on my nephew's select baseball team in Houston
- Nolan Ryan once at his daughter's basketball game
- Troy Aikman, Bill Bates, & few others at Cowboys training camp in Austin one year when my brother-in-law's company was a big sponsor
- Spike Dykes at an SWC function in Dallas (great guy & so funny)
- Joe Morgan (HOF player) & Jon Miller from ESPN when I was with the Astros
- also Barry Bonds (jerk), Matt Williams, & Darryl Strawberry during that time (Straw was really a good guy I must say)

...probably more but I have never been an autograph guy or awestruck kind of person. I just take people as human beings & go from there. I HATE cleat chasers/jock sniffers or those of the like personally. We are all just people, some just may be more talented at one particular thing in life. Good for them.

99IHSMustang
11-15-2006, 08:15 AM
My Girlfriend and I had brunch with Jayne Seymour (well known for her role in Dr. Quinn medicine woman) and her husband who I believe directed "Walk the Line".

99IHSMustang
11-15-2006, 08:16 AM
oops double post

CenTexSports
11-15-2006, 09:05 AM
Larry Hagman
Roger Staubach
Patrick Smith (current world champion team roper)
Drayton McLean

underware
11-15-2006, 09:06 AM
Bum Phillips at the Dentist office in Victoria and Kevin James from the King of Queens in Chicago this past summer.

handNthedirt
11-15-2006, 09:15 AM
Willie Nelson
Bucky Richardson
Chuck Norris
Warren Moon
Ricky Williams
Darryl Hannah
Moose Johnston
AJ Foyt
Emmanuel Lewis
Pat Green
Fred Durst

Adidas410s
11-15-2006, 09:21 AM
Umm..too early in the morning to think about this but last week I met Troy Aikman at a Mavs game and a month or so ago I met Darryl Johnston at a Stars game as his seats are right next to my company's seats.

handNthedirt
11-15-2006, 09:36 AM
I'm not sure if he's "famous"...yet...but he's a heck of a football player, and he's one of my boys, great guy...Dominic Rhodes.

Funk-d-fied
11-15-2006, 09:40 AM
Just met Dat Nguyen this past saturday, Bucky Richardson, R.C. Slocum, Troy Aikman, Micheal Sinclair, and Dr. Gates...

injuredinmelee
11-15-2006, 09:42 AM
We had this discussion back in the summer. But great stories Ross. I bet when anyone was 12 Rocket looked huge.

Famous people you have met (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46261&highlight=Famous)

downey1547
11-15-2006, 11:04 AM
I met Rafael Septian when i was a kid. then about 4 yrs. ago, i met Vinny Paul of Pantera at the Clubhouse in Dallas.

coach
11-15-2006, 11:17 AM
earl cambell, darrell k royal, mike madano, brett hull, michael finley, president bush, cal ripken jr., gene stallings, grant taeff, r.c. slocum, the coors light twins, dale henson, rusty greer, nolan ryan, pudge rodriguez, thats all i can think of right now

vet93
11-15-2006, 11:35 AM
Robert McNamara (Secretary of Defense for JFK) at A&M for the MSC Wiley lecture series. Also met Ed Bradley from CBS (deceased) at the same function.

Jackie Sherril in an elevator on Rudder tower (Lot taller than he looks on the sidelines). Wasn't real happy that monday...they had just lost to LSU 28-0 (He was cordial to me though).

Rod Bernstein, Basil Jackson and several other Aggie players that I can't think of right now when I was at A&M.

Met the guys who played Festus and Newlie on Gunsmoke.

DU_stud04
11-15-2006, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
I met DU Stud, Mwynn, Gsquared and PPHS:D

im kind of a big deal,.....people know me ;) :evil:

DaHop72
11-15-2006, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
im kind of a big deal,.....people know me ;) :evil:
:evillol: :evillol: :evillol: :evillol:

Old Tiger
11-15-2006, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
im kind of a big deal,.....people know me ;) :evil: ha

Boosty_Hondo
11-15-2006, 04:33 PM
Kinky Freedman
Shawn Micheals
The band The Used
Cross Canadian Ragweed
Kevin Fowler
for you ladies ive met Matthew McConehey
Booker T(the wrestler)

ive also met countless bands that i cant rmemebr them all i gues its a plus having a friend that is in a band that is getting pretty big

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-15-2006, 05:01 PM
The entire A&M football team and coaching staff, if that is famous to any of ya'll.

eagles_victory
11-15-2006, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
The entire A&M football team and coaching staff, if that is famous to any of ya'll. no its not lol jk but u were almost on the team so of course you met them

westtxfballfan
11-15-2006, 05:56 PM
Former Attorney General John Ashcroft
Current Attorney General Alberto Gonzales
First Lady Laura Bush
2-Time Daytona 500 winner Sterling Marlin
World Boxing Champ Floyd Mayweather, Jr.

footballgal
11-15-2006, 05:58 PM
oh boy, that's a long list for me... but wait,
I thought it was "Famous people that you haven't met" :D

stxfootballfan
11-15-2006, 06:10 PM
Back in early '90s i spent the weekend with my best friend in New Orleans and we stayed with his cousin IronHead Hayward. We went to the game when they played the Buffalo Bills. After the game we met Rickey Jackson, Pat Swilling, Bobby Hebert. Then we had dinner with IronHead, Derick Kennard, and numerous other Saint players. While we were eating Marshall Faulk showed up along with a few of his brothers. I believe it was Marshalls last year in college. IronHead introduced us to Marshall and we took some pics with him. I also met Cameroon Hayward(IronHeads son) at the time I think he was about 5 but was as big as about a 10yr old. Cameroon is now in his Senior yr of high school and getting looked at by some big time colleges.

RMAC
11-15-2006, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
We had this discussion back in the summer. But great stories Ross. I bet when anyone was 12 Rocket looked huge.

Famous people you have met (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=46261&highlight=Famous)

Exactly, he did look huge. It might have been Joey Galloway. One of the 2. Plus, it was about 3 this morning and I was bored waiting for some glue to dry on this project.

KingRob
11-15-2006, 06:58 PM
I met Tony Dorsett at a trade show in Dallas. He was very chillaxed.

Pudlugger
11-15-2006, 07:11 PM
Okay, I'm 60 and have been around a little:

Merv Griffin, Gene McDaniels (sang A Hundred Pounds of Clay big hit in 1964), and Lucille Ball- when my three friends and I managed to sneak backstage of the Merv Griffin Show at CBS in Los Angeles in 1964.

Bobby Bonds, father of Barry Bonds and famous outfielder for the Oakland A's. Played against him in high school football in 1963.

Telly Savalas (Kojack)- sold him and Kynan Wynn cigars once in the Rexall on Hollywood and Vine in LA summer of 1965. Also saw Lenna Horn at the soda fountain there. Great summer job behind the liquor and ciqarette counter there thanks to my best friend who's dad managed the company.

Steve Buerline- my 6 year old son at the time got his autograph at a Hudson's Grill in Oxnard CA when the Raiders worked out there.

Roscoe Tanner at the Cabrillo Raquet Club when I played the Pro-Am tourney.

Bobby and Mikey Bryan ( #1 in the World in Tennis Doubles) when they were kids at Cabrillo Racquet Club where they grew up (their folks owned the club). Hit with them when they were 9 years old and they were gooood!

V J Armitage tennis pro am at Cabrillo.

Sir Richard Branson, billionaire entrepeneur. Met him, his lovely wife and baby daughter in 1983 (or was it 1981?). My dear wife and I were on a sailing holiday in the British Virgin Islands aboard our Morgan 46 Ketch the Silverheels. We were tied up in the Marina at Virgin Gorda Yacht Harbor. We hung out at the marina watering hole "The Bath and Turtle". One hot muggy afternoon a young couple walked in with a very small baby- almost newborn size. The wife was thin, blond and sunburned with mesquito bits. The husband was tall thin and had a full blond beard wearing red shorts and a white T shirt. My wife and I felt sorry for them because they looked so exhausted and had this little baby. I, being an obstetrician, asked them if the baby was a newborn. Richard replied "Funny you should ask because she was born prematurely and would be a newborn if she had made her due date.". We asked them to join us for a while and I ordered Heinekens all around. They told us they had come from Britain to see the new Island Richard had purchased from the Queen. Necker Island. I inquired as to why they bought this island and Richard explained that his record company, Virgin Records, was his breakthrough into the recording scene with artists like Boy George etc. When he heard that the Queen was selling a Virgin Island he was interested and bought it sight unseen. He said he planned to build a recording studio on the island and maybe a resort. I thought to myself, what is this guy smoking! Yeah right, I'm Prince Albert too! LOL. He was very gracious and gave us an open invitation to visit Necker Island but we never followed up on it.

Gobbla2001
11-15-2006, 07:12 PM
Bum Phillips said "How are you doin'" to me in the Lowe's parking lot in Victoria once...

Showed Cedric Benson how to get to the lobby elevators of the Dobie Dorms at UT... super nice guy...

Walked by Mike Dunleavy (sp?, former coach of Portland Trailblazers) and his son (think he's in the NBA, played at DUKE) on 5th avenue in NYC back in '03...

there's more I forget...

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-15-2006, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
no its not lol jk but u were almost on the team so of course you met them

Actually, I'm on the team starting in the spring....So yeah, I'm going to get to know pretty much all of them.

Pudlugger
11-15-2006, 07:32 PM
Actually, I'm on the team starting in the spring....So yeah, I'm going to get to know pretty much all of them.

Great news BBDE! Show them how 3A plays tough football man. It shows some stones to walk on and make the team. Good for you.

handNthedirt
11-15-2006, 07:37 PM

that kicks much ass, man! congrats! work your tail off and you'll be rewarded.

eagles_victory
11-15-2006, 07:38 PM

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-15-2006, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
thats cool at what pos.?

Linebacker. Not sure if I will be inside or outside, though.

Ranger Mom
11-15-2006, 08:23 PM
My son just got home and told me he met EJ Hollub today.....I had no clue who he was....but my husband assured me was a legend back in the day.

I guess he played in 2 superbowls at some point?

DUKE22
11-15-2006, 08:30 PM
I met Black Magic at the VFW.

CelinaCatFan
11-15-2006, 08:56 PM
I met the following during the filiming of Necessary Roughness in 1991 at UNT. I also had a small part in the film.

Scott Bakula
Hector Elizondo
Robert Loggia
Larry Miller
Sinbad
Rob Schneider
Justin Bateman
Kathy Ireland
Chris Berman
Dick Butkus
Earl Campbell
Roger Craig
Ben Davidson
Tony Dorsett
Evander Holyfield
Ed "Too Tall" Jones
Jim Kelly
Jerry Rice
Herschel Walker
Randy White

I've also met the following at various times:

Nolan Ryan
Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez
Dat Ngyen
Dan Campbell
Juan Gonzalez
Rusty Greer
Drew Pearson
Pat Green
Charlie Robinson
Cross Canadian Ragweed
Dierks Bentley
Craig James
Deion Sanders
Bob Hope
Reggie Miller
Derek Harper

infamous
11-15-2006, 09:01 PM
DJ Qualls
Eliza Dusku
Jay Hernandez
-the guys from "The Rookie" but the only two who made it from that movie was Jay Hernandez and that little fat boy--minus Dennis Quaid...oh yeah, I met Dennis Quaid too, he was in my way when I was getting a cup of tea
Amer Barkley--some suppose to be "break-out" actor who didn't go far--but he's in that movie The New Guy and he gave me a kiss on the cheek--he's a tru playa
Dennis Hopper when I was little--he was filming some movie in Taylor new the BBQ place
I've met a lot of random actors and stuff--my cousin mickey does the art direction for various movies such as How The Grinch Stole Christmas with Jim Carey and The Alamo--which was a lame movie--also, Apollo 13

recently I sort of met/talked to that one guy...something scott patrick--that one dude who played that guy in that movie--c'mon ya'll know what I'm talking about--stifler or whatever...anyways, I met him at a light in Taylor he was asking where the nearest 7-11 was, and I gave him directions to the McDonalds that was over near us.

Dominic Monaghan is my buddy :D
but other than that I dont remember nor really care who has met me.

Pudlugger
11-15-2006, 09:12 PM
Infamous you mean Stiffler from American Pie! Yeah I know him, LOL!!!

infamous
11-15-2006, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
Infamous you mean Stiffler from American Pie! Yeah I know him, LOL!!!

yes!!! that guy!

it was a little awkward cuz he told me sort of who he was, I was just like are you that guy and he was like YEAH!!! *insert name here* and I was like, oh uh..oook...

why cant I meet cool people? Like Chris Cornell???

oh, I've also met the entire band of weezer and the foo fighters on their last tour last year--and bobby schneck--but they're musicians not celebrities...but today, whats the difference?

Pudlugger
11-15-2006, 09:27 PM
Favorite quote from American Pie:
Stiffler's mom when the kid asks her what she wants to drink: "scotch, like I like my men, 18 years old and straight up!" LOL

District303aPastPlayer
11-15-2006, 10:09 PM
met Tony Parker, he was an a--

Terry Cummin although, was a great guy with a good family, a killer house, and a great set of rides...

RMAC
11-15-2006, 10:58 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot about a few more. If any of you DFW area posters know about the TCL, the collegiate wooden bat league here in Texas, Graham has a team, the Roughnecks conincidentally, that a good friend of mine's mother manages. The first 2 summers we swapped out being the mascot. If you ever get a chance to do that, don't, it sucks. But to the point; at the end of the year, there's a banquet in some fancy hotel down in the Ft. Worth Stockyards. Me and like 8 guys get all the mascot suits from around the league and walk around and mingle w/ all the millionaires that own the teams. There's always a guest speaker, and the 1st year I met Nolan and the 2nd year I got to meet Roger Clemens. Both really nice guys to talk to.

firstcat
11-16-2006, 10:08 AM
Randy Rogers and all of his band - they spent the night with my family at the Lee County BBQ Cookoff.
Webb Pierce (country music), Hadley Barrett (PRCA announcer), Cliff Staudt (former Steeler), Steve Young (QB) he actually tossed a football to me.
Rick Neuheisel (pro coach), Jim Bates (pro coach), Don Hawser (Grand ole Opry announcer), Charlie Dick (Patsy Cline's husband), Steve Wariner (country singer) a friend and I got to go on his bus and hang out, George Strait, Jim Acker (pro baseball), Steve Acker (pro football), Steve McMichael (Chicago Bear turned pro-wrestler-once carried me around on his shoulders),.
I sang with Johnny Rodriguez, Dave & Sugar, Charlie Pride Band, Darryl McCall. Lots of Texas local musicians! Ann Richards, Dan Morales (sorry to say I danced with him at a Fairgrounds dance!), George & Barbara Bush, Kool & the Gang (when I was little!).
I had lunch with the Chief of the Los Angeles Police Department who was in during the OJ case...he was definitely guilty, hands down, just couldn't present all of the evidence due to technicalities....ANYWAY!....I met all of the Gunslingers (USFL- I wrote the themesong when I was 16), have met many songwriters who aren't famous, but their songs are...
AND President Jimmy Carter called me at home when I was 9 years old. I didn't actually get to talk to him because I wasn't home, but my older brother did....so I guess that is a near miss!

AND BEST OF ALL I KNOW ALL OF THE LIBERTY HILL PANTHERS!!!
:inlove:

piratebg
11-16-2006, 10:11 AM
Well, I don't know if you'd call them famous, but I have met the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus at the mall a couple of times.

BTEXDAD
11-16-2006, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Rocket Ismail is a little guy! Very fast in his day, but not big at all.

Met:
- George H.W. Bush in the Rec Center at A&M
- Rick Perry in Kyle Field suite one year vs. Notre Dame
- Earl Campbell when he was at Texas & I was a kid (my dad knew people & got us in the locker room)
- Shaquille O'Neal in hs basketball game in Kerrville
- worked for Astros so knew Bagwell, Biggio, Caminiti, Gonzo, D. Kile, Drabek, Hudek, Dierker, etc. (all good guys)
- worked at A&M in Athletics so knew RC Slocum & all the guys in mid 90s thru 2001 (Dat, Dante' Hall, Ty Warren, etc.)
- Ray Childress (big dude not fat) at a function once
- former Longhorn Roy Williams on his recruiting trip to A&M
- met Roger Clemens, Giff Nielsen & Drabek (again) as all had sons on my nephew's select baseball team in Houston
- Nolan Ryan once at his daughter's basketball game
- Troy Aikman, Bill Bates, & few others at Cowboys training camp in Austin one year when my brother-in-law's company was a big sponsor
- Spike Dykes at an SWC function in Dallas (great guy & so funny)
- Joe Morgan (HOF player) & Jon Miller from ESPN when I was with the Astros
- also Barry Bonds (jerk), Matt Williams, & Darryl Strawberry during that time (Straw was really a good guy I must say)

Cool, G$$.
I was a little ahead of your time with Astros. I used to have astro season tickets back in early and mid 80's along with buddies (b4 I got married). We met some of the guys back then. Joe Niekro (good guy, just passed away other week), Enos Cabell, Nolan Ryan, Joe Sambito, Jose Cruz.
Was at conference with company I worked with back in early 1997 in New Orleans. It was the year Green Bay played New England in the Super bowl there. We left on the Monday before super bowl. I met Joe Theismann and James Lofton, both with ESPN (I think) at that time. I got their autographs for my kids.
When I got back home, my son and daughter weren't real impressed. Both Theismann and lofton played before kids got real interested in pro football. Daughter, who was about seven at the time asked why I didn't get Brett Favre's autograph. (another unappreciated dad)

I saw a lot of big guys on Bourbon street, but wasn't sure if they were football players or not, and didn't really want to ask.
I was like you though. Never much on autographs. Theismann and Lofton were only ones I ever got. They probably thought I was pretty pathetic being an almost middle aged man asking for autographs.

maroonpirate04
11-16-2006, 11:41 AM
Met Rising Pop Star Paula Deanda at Sinton High School when she gave a concert for the Junior High Kids during Red Ribbon Week. A month ago she ate during B Lunch before going on stage