PDA

View Full Version : 20 years Ago--November 14,1986

maroonpirate04
11-15-2006, 01:44 AM
Check out these playoff contenders back in 1986 in the Bi-District Round. When Class 3A was only a one divison. Here are the scores

Friona 14..Perryton 10
Kermit 7..Lubbock Roosevelt 0
Iowa Park 27..Ballinger 12
Waco Robinson 34..Marble Falls 6
Childress 22..Littlefield 21
Crane 15..Denver City 8
Breckenridge 21..Clyde 7
Lampasas 32..Waco Connally 0
Springtown 45..Glen Rose 0
Wylie 33..Mabank 0
Daingerfield 60..Mineola 0
Gladewater 34..Hooks 13
Southlake Carroll 27..Kennedale 0
Bonham 20..Kaufman 13
Pittsburg 19..Lindale 9
Jefferson 26..DeKalb 14
Groesbeck 13..San Augustine 6
Kirbyville 27..Orangefield 0
Cameron 35..Splendora 14
Bellville 27..Sweeny 15
Crockett 24..Diboll 2
Port Arthur Austin 31..Newton 12
Madisonville 21..Montgomery 0
Needville 38..Altair Rice Consolidated 25
Giddings 27..Edna 0
Devine 20..Universal City Randolph 9
Sinton 21..Corpus Christi West Oso 0 (Buc Stadium @C.C.)
Hebbronville 23..Port Isabel 0
Cuero 35.. La Grange 10
Hondo 45.. Pearsall 12
Taft 28.. Kenedy 0
Mission Sharyland 7.. Premont 7

At the movies while most of us were supporting our teams on a Friday Night the films were released Slaugther High, The Mission, Streets Of Gold, and The Wraith

And the sounds of trendy music were climbing the charts "Control" by Janet Jackson, "Land Of Confusion" by Genesis, and "Notorious" by Duran Duran while "Amanda" by Boston remained at #1 for the second week in a row

Txbroadcaster
11-15-2006, 03:05 AM
ah yes the Year of The Jefferson Bulldogs...When all the talk of the best team in 3A history comes up, people forget Jefferson..They were a force that year. Beat play-off powers Pittsburg, D-Field, and Cuero and they dominated Cuero down in College Station.

That Bulldog team had 6 DI and a host of other players go to all different levels of college ball, and they had a 10 year NFL pro as well. That was a GREAT team.

Dennis Alexander once told me that the 86 Jefferson team wasthe only team he has seen in 3A that would have consistenly score on his 83 D-Field Defense.

Old Green
11-15-2006, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
ah yes the Year of The Jefferson Bulldogs...When all the talk of the best team in 3A history comes up, people forget Jefferson..They were a force that year. Beat play-off powers Pittsburg, D-Field, and Cuero and they dominated Cuero down in College Station.

That Bulldog team had 6 DI and a host of other players go to all different levels of college ball, and they had a 10 year NFL pro as well. That was a GREAT team.

Dennis Alexander once told me that the 86 Jefferson team wasthe only team he has seen in 3A that would have consistenly score on his 83 D-Field Defense. That Jefferson Team was great. Beat Cuero 24-0 and the only team to hold Robert Strait in Check.

KL3
11-15-2006, 09:53 AM
How can one of the greatest teams in the history of 3A only win their opening round playoff game 26-14? I know the playoffs were a lot less watered down back then, but that still makes me wonder.

pirate4state
11-15-2006, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by KL3
How can one of the greatest teams in the history of 3A only win their opening round playoff game 26-14? I know the playoffs were a lot less watered down back then, but that still makes me wonder. Nerves?

piratebg
11-15-2006, 10:06 AM
I remember the "The Wraith" with Charlie Sheen. I remember I used to want the car that he drove in that movie.

Txbroadcaster
11-15-2006, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by KL3
How can one of the greatest teams in the history of 3A only win their opening round playoff game 26-14? I know the playoffs were a lot less watered down back then, but that still makes me wonder.

Wow so a team must rout every opponent in the playoffs to be called one of the greatest teams?

Sorry I dont buy that, sometimes you learn more about the talent and grit of your team in a close win than in a rout.

KL3
11-15-2006, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Wow so a team must rout every opponent in the playoffs to be called one of the greatest teams?

Actually yes, I think the truly "great" teams are able to dominate almost all of their playoff opponents, especially their 1st round opponents.

Txbroadcaster
11-15-2006, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by KL3
Actually yes, I think the truly "great" teams are able to dominate almost all of their playoff opponents, especially their 1st round opponents.

Well seeing that at one point it was 23-0 I hope that counts as on the way to dominating the competition.

But I still dont think a team has to dominate all their opponents in the play-offs to be considered great..I cant remember but I think Dekalb was 8-2 with only loss in district to state ranked power Daingerfield or something like that. First Round does not always mean easier

footballgal
11-15-2006, 12:11 PM
Dang, PI got shut out by Hebbronville? How far did Hebbron go that year? Wait a minute..... I remember that game, that was my 1st PI game I ever attended. I remember PIs RB breaking his leg, the game was in PI.

maroonpirate04
11-15-2006, 03:18 PM
This must be a joyous occasion for the Taft Greyhounds they finally made the playoffs in 2006 after having struggling seasons over the past years. Except they are now Class 2A