PDA

View Full Version : Forty Years Ago on 10-15-66

Phil C
11-14-2006, 12:52 PM
I went with some friends who invited me to go to the game between Texas and Arkansas. One of their sons who was my age had something going on that day so he couldn't go and they invited me to go. It was a great expereince being at a home UT game in Austin. UT lost a close one 12 to 7. I remember Arkansas scored first and missed the extra point and later UT scored and was ahead 7 to 6 but Arkansas got another td and went ahead 12 to 7 but missed on the extra point. UT had several chances afterward but couldn't get a td. Both teams did lots of fumbling back and forth in that game. But it was still a great expereince.
The UT QB was Bill Bradley and he was a sophomore and was coming back from an injury. UT had lots of injured players that year. The similar thing to the A&M game is that we have a sophomore Qb coming back from injury and we have had lots of injuries this year. Also in 1966 we had just lost a big game to Oklahoma the week before. Similar this year we have lost to Kansas State.
Hopefully, the main part of history that won't be repeated is that we lose to the Aggies. :)

Aesculus gilmus
11-14-2006, 01:56 PM
I barely remember those years. We used to lose to Arkansas EVERY year during the mid-1960s. A very exciting game was the one in 1965 when Texas lost, 24-20.

In 1964, Arkansas won 14-13. But then the 'Horns went on to the Orange Bowl as the SWC runners-up and upset Joe Namath's Alabama Crimson Tide, 21-17.
http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/pages/winningtrads/bowlgames/65orange.html

Old Tiger
11-14-2006, 01:57 PM
great story Phil