PDA

View Full Version : Dodge To UNT?

setxsports
11-14-2006, 11:39 AM
Todd Dodge to UNT?

SL Carroll's Dodge open to collegiate return

03:40 AM CST on Tuesday, November 14, 2006
By BRETT VITO / Denton Record-Chronicle

DENTON – Southlake Carroll coach and former UNT assistant Todd Dodge said Monday he would consider taking a college coaching job after the current season.

Riley Dodge, a junior quarterback at Carroll, has thrown for 2,628 yards and 36 touchdowns this season.

Southlake Carroll coach Todd Dodge said he hasn't been contacted by UNT officials, but he would be willing to talk at season's end. "Riley and I are looking forward to this window of opportunity, but it is not set in stone that I won't leave before he graduates," Dodge said. "I look at it as pouring myself into each season. If an opportunity comes after the season, then I will look at it."

Dodge has been mentioned as a potential candidate to become the next coach at UNT, which fired Darrell Dickey on Wednesday with three games left in his ninth season. Dodge said he hasn't been contacted by UNT officials, but he would be willing to talk after Carroll's season is over.

Dodge, who was UNT's offensive coordinator from 1992-93, said he would like to get back into college coaching at some point.

Phil C
11-14-2006, 11:56 AM
What a hugh mistake to leave a great high school just to try to coach college football.

3afan
11-14-2006, 12:26 PM
cant understand why he would leave SLC for UNT ..... maybe after UNT has their new stadium

but then again they are D-I

Boosty_Hondo
11-14-2006, 12:31 PM
SLC could possibaly beat UNT lol so he souldnt leave

injuredinmelee
11-14-2006, 12:45 PM
It is my opinion (therefore not worth much to some) that he would be out of his mind to take that job. It could be a career killer for him or he might be successful enough at it to use UNT as a spring board to the next tier of college football. He probably has as big a budget at SLC as he would hae at UNT.

Old Tiger
11-14-2006, 12:47 PM
Intersting...:thinking:

HM33
11-14-2006, 01:34 PM
I would say it would be a great thing that he took the Job. He has already established that is he an amazing High School football coach. He has won numorous State Championships. Why not try and go for the Bigger wins and turn a D-I college program around. I'm sure he also would get paid more at UNT so whats their to lose?

luvhoops34
11-14-2006, 01:53 PM
I hate to sound jaded here, but didn't he threaten to take a new job a couple of years ago only to get a big pay raise from SLC?

Maybe he's doing the same thing now???

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-14-2006, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by HM33
I would say it would be a great thing that he took the Job. He has already established that is he an amazing High School football coach. He has won numorous State Championships. Why not try and go for the Bigger wins and turn a D-I college program around. I'm sure he also would get paid more at UNT so whats their to lose?

Football games...Look at Art Briles at U of H.

mwynn05
11-14-2006, 02:38 PM
Well think about this he can use us as a springboard and has an inside tack on recruiting in DFW....that's UNT's big problem is recruiting (and Darrell Dickey and Ramon Fannigan) he will help that a lot and it will be a more exciting product so more people will come....and i hear rumors about big news regarding the new stadium coming in the spring

HM33
11-14-2006, 04:40 PM
Yes, he can lose football games but thats what it takes to turn a down program around.

g$$
11-14-2006, 06:16 PM
I don't see Dodge leaving SLC for UNT. I do think after Riley graduates he may explore some college options bigger than UNT.

He has a gold mine at SLC & the backing, $$, resources, etc. to get it done every year. Maybe alma mater Texas in due time?

mwynn05
11-14-2006, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by g$$
I don't see Dodge leaving SLC for UNT. I do think after Riley graduates he may explore some college options bigger than UNT.

He has a gold mine at SLC & the backing, $$, resources, etc. to get it done every year. Maybe alma mater Texas in due time? He's not gonna be able to get a major college coaching job fomr hs he is going to have to take baby steps...If i were a betting man...wait i am but anyways i bet if unt offers Dodge he will take it

g$$
11-14-2006, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by mwynn05
He's not gonna be able to get a major college coaching job fomr hs he is going to have to take baby steps...If i were a betting man...wait i am but anyways i bet if unt offers Dodge he will take it

I was referring to Dodge taking an OC job or Receivers/QBs Coach & then moving up from there. Not saying he would go straight to the top from hs ball. He did talk with Parcells last year & decided to stay at SLC from what I read. Charlie Weis came to the pros from a NJ hs & worked his way up to OC later (Jets, Pats, ND). Now look where he is now as HC at Notre Dame & owner of a bunch of Super Bowl rings.

mrescape43
11-14-2006, 08:26 PM
Timing seems wrong with his son being the starting QB and only a jr unless he knows that they have nothing returning next year and wants to leave on a positive note.