PDA

View Full Version : Wal-Mart is "Bringin' Christmas Back!"

Adidas410s
11-14-2006, 09:46 AM
It's beginning to look and sound a lot like the holidays at Wal-Mart, except this year the word "holiday" is out.

The retail giant decided they're not only going to rollback prices, but slogans as well.

This season no more "Happy Holidays" instead expect to see Christmas bows, Christmas bells and signs reminding customers how many days they have left to shop.

Here in Roanoke, people couldn't be happier to see Christmas make a comeback.

Wal-Mart hopes their decision to reintroduce Christmas will help them cash in on a profitable season, and stay below the radar.

Wal-Mart isn't the only retailer getting into the Christmas Spirit.

Business Reports show Walgreens and Macy's Department stores will also be using Christmas in their advertising.

But not everyone is jumping on the bandwagon, Best Buy is sticking with Happy Holidays.

GreenMonster
11-14-2006, 09:48 AM
It's about time someone had the balls to put "Christ" back in Christmas.

Ranger Mom
11-14-2006, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster

Amen and AMEN!!

vet93
11-14-2006, 09:54 AM
While I applaud the move...I don't think that they are as greatly interested in putting Christ back in Christmas as they are in putting $$$ back in Christmas...call me a synic...

Ranger Mom
11-14-2006, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by vet93
While I applaud the move...I don't think that they are as greatly interested in putting Christ back in Christmas as they are in putting $$$ back in Christmas...call me a synic...

You are probably right on the money there (no pun intended)!!:)

lepfan
11-14-2006, 10:49 AM
It's about time someone had the balls to put "Christ" back in Christmas. True...but it is the retailers who sometimes sway the true meaning! Focusing so much on material things instead of the true meaning.

*Oops, I just read vet's post....I basically just repeated what he said. :)

jason
11-14-2006, 10:54 AM
It's about time someone had the balls to put "Christ" back in Christmas. haha you cant use balls and Christ in the same sentence...can you ???? lol

spiveyrat
11-14-2006, 11:19 AM
Merry Christmas, Wal Mart! :)

injuredinmelee
11-14-2006, 12:56 PM
I saw soem email last week that my mother forwarded to me about a boycott of Wally World on thanksgiving weekend because they are donating a percentage of sales that weekend to a Gay/Lesbian alliance organization out of Washington D.C.

I wouldnt normally step foot any where close to wal mart that weekend anyhow so it really doesnt matter to me. There are so many people that are so against the success of Wal Mart and adamantly oppose everything they do or oppose new stores coming into their city or neighborhood. I cant figure it out. I ahve watched doucmentaries for and opposed to Waltons self created empire and I cant understand what so many peopel have against it. Is it jealousy? What is it?

KUDOS to any corporation putting religion back into Christmas!

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-14-2006, 01:05 PM

Yep, you're right...It's unfortunate that you are, too.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-14-2006, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
I saw soem email last week that my mother forwarded to me about a boycott of Wally World on thanksgiving weekend because they are donating a percentage of sales that weekend to a Gay/Lesbian alliance organization out of Washington D.C.

I wouldnt normally step foot any where close to wal mart that weekend anyhow so it really doesnt matter to me. There are so many people that are so against the success of Wal Mart and adamantly oppose everything they do or oppose new stores coming into their city or neighborhood. I cant figure it out. I ahve watched doucmentaries for and opposed to Waltons self created empire and I cant understand what so many peopel have against it. Is it jealousy? What is it?

KUDOS to any corporation putting religion back into Christmas!

Wal-Mart is anti-union, and that's enough reason for me to not like them.

spiveyrat
11-14-2006, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
Wal-Mart is anti-union, and that's enough reason for me to not like them.

NO business is pro-union. Unions, for the most part, are just big 'ol parasites. They are hindrances to corporations making it harder to compete.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-14-2006, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
NO business is pro-union. Unions, for the most part, are just big 'ol parasites. They are hindrances to corporations making it harder to compete.

Really? I always saw them as a way to protect the rights of workers. You know, keep companies from taking advantage of their employees to make a quick buck, or do you think they actually won't do that? Wal-Mart would just assume to close down a store than let a union be formed. It has happened before, too..

injuredinmelee
11-14-2006, 01:36 PM
Unions were formed as a type of legalized strong arming. Unions have only served to drive up the cost of items and to drive up the cost of manufacturing.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-14-2006, 01:38 PM
Unions were formed as a type of legalized strong arming. Unions have only served to drive up the cost of items and to drive up the cost of manufacturing.

So you want to do away with them in favor of unfair contracts, the taking away of employee benefits, and worker protection?

Old Tiger
11-14-2006, 02:11 PM
When I first read the title I thought they got Justin Timberlake in their advertising

greenwitchll
11-15-2006, 12:48 AM

Amen... Amen...Amen

sahen
11-15-2006, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by jason
haha you cant use balls and Christ in the same sentence...can you ???? lol
We call those ornaments that are in the shape of a ball Christmas Balls....Atleast in my family, mabye other people dont say that...

sahen
11-15-2006, 01:01 AM

Wal Mart comes into a lot of small towns and has extremely low prices when they open that will drive the mom and pop shops outa buisness then they raise their prices....That is why a lot of towns dont like them, especially smaller towns....The stores that have been there forever have no way to compete against them, whether this is right or wrong I am not saying because with our capitalist economy its the way to go, but Wal Mart has gotten so big now they can literally put a whole town out of buisness where they are the only store left...

RMAC
11-15-2006, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by sahen
Wal Mart comes into a lot of small towns and has extremely low prices when they open that will drive the mom and pop shops outa buisness then they raise their prices....That is why a lot of towns dont like them, especially smaller towns....The stores that have been there forever have no way to compete against them, whether this is right or wrong I am not saying because with our capitalist economy its the way to go, but Wal Mart has gotten so big now they can literally put a whole town out of buisness where they are the only store left...

Yeah, we got a Wal-Mart in Graham in October of '05. It was a huge deal. Me and my friends actually left class at 10:00 in the morning to go see it. But I don't see that happening in Graham, a town of 8,000, due to the company(s) of Southern Bleacher and Steel Stadiums. They build all over the country and I think they built the bleachers at the new Cardinals Stadium in Arizona. They used to be one, then the owners, a married couple, got divorced and one of them started another. Between these 2 , I don't think there's any way that Wal-Mart will ever ruin Graham because of the influence that the Pettis' have in the town. Personally, I'm suprised they even let one be built. I've heard estimates that they have a 2 year waiting list for bleachers, both of the companies.

sahen
11-15-2006, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by RMAC
Yeah, we got a Wal-Mart in Graham in October of '05. It was a huge deal. Me and my friends actually left class at 10:00 in the morning to go see it. But I don't see that happening in Graham, a town of 8,000, due to the company(s) of Southern Bleacher and Steel Stadiums. They build all over the country and I think they built the bleachers at the new Cardinals Stadium in Arizona. They used to be one, then the owners, a married couple, got divorced and one of them started another. Between these 2 , I don't think there's any way that Wal-Mart will ever ruin Graham because of the influence that the Pettis' have in the town. Personally, I'm suprised they even let one be built. I've heard estimates that they have a 2 year waiting list for bleachers, both of the companies.
well ok, i guess i should have specified, I meant with Wal Mart they can put out all the Grocery/General Stores in an area...for now Wal Mart hasnt tried to make bleachers but if they do watch out....

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-15-2006, 02:34 AM

You are 100% correct, Shane.....It's really unfortunate the way that it happens....There was supposed to be a safeguard against monopolies, but you really can't do much about it because competition does have to exist, and that is just part of running a business. Not saying I like it, but it happens all the time.

Old Tiger
11-15-2006, 02:35 AM
Wal-mart the place where being white trash is cool:cool:

RMAC
11-15-2006, 02:46 AM
well ok, i guess i should have specified, I meant with Wal Mart they can put out all the Grocery/General Stores in an area...for now Wal Mart hasnt tried to make bleachers but if they do watch out....

Oh, I know what you were saying. I was just pointing out that unlike a lot of small towns, Graham is fortunate enough to have a large corporation like those 2 bleacher companies. It's kinda sad to me though, that you can build a Wal-Mart in the middle of nowhere practically, and a town would form.

Go Cuero
11-15-2006, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
When I first read the title I thought they got Justin Timberlake in their advertising

I was thinking the same thing!! LOL But I am glad they are doing it.

Go Cuero
11-15-2006, 09:49 AM
Really? I always saw them as a way to protect the rights of workers. You know, keep companies from taking advantage of their employees to make a quick buck, or do you think they actually won't do that? Wal-Mart would just assume to close down a store than let a union be formed. It has happened before, too..

I guess I don't see them as protecting the rights of workers. To me it comes across as just another "big business" coming in telling other people how to run their corporation. And yes Wal-Mart will close down a store so the union can't form. Can't say that I blame them. If you came into my store and told me what I had to pay people and what benefits I had to offer them and oh by the way they are not going to work until you agree to this, I'd hire other people who would work or close the store if noone wanted to work. If you don't like what you are getting paid or need better benefits, go somewhere else and work. The people I know who have or do work at Wal-Mart feel like they are getting the best benefits they can get. Sure there are some who don't think that but you find that at every place.

But that's just the little version of my view on unions. And I'm suppose to be talking about football!! LOL;)

Ranger Mom
11-15-2006, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
Wal-mart the place where being white trash is cool:cool:

That reminded me of this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/BlackFridayRuler/walmart.jpg

Go Cuero
11-15-2006, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
That reminded me of this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/BlackFridayRuler/walmart.jpg

LOL - I have to send that to my dad!!

JasperDog94
11-15-2006, 12:11 PM
Unions had a place in our country at one time. They did a great job of improving worker safety. Unfortunately that time has passed now. Just look at what the unions have done in professional sports. Enough said.

JasperDog94
11-15-2006, 12:12 PM
While I applaud the move...I don't think that they are as greatly interested in putting Christ back in Christmas as they are in putting $$$ back in Christmas...call me a synic... Not only that, but Wal-Mart just gave 60,000 to a pro gay magazine to promote homosexuals in the workplace. Thanks Wal-Mart.:rolleyes:

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-15-2006, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Not only that, but Wal-Mart just gave 60,000 to a pro gay magazine to promote homosexuals in the workplace. Thanks Wal-Mart.:rolleyes:

I thought that we had looked past discrimination in the late 1960s. It's funny how history has a way of repeating itself. First, it was the black community, now, it is the homosexual community. I'm not saying that it is morally right, but has it not crossed your mind that it is a person's individual right to chose what they do with their lives and not yours? Who are you to judge anyone else? I think that homosexuals should be granted the same rights under the law as heterosexual people, the same employment opportunities, and the right to marriage. All men are created equally, and are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights....Where in our Constitution does it say gay men and women are not allowed these same rights?

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-15-2006, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Go Cuero
I guess I don't see them as protecting the rights of workers. To me it comes across as just another "big business" coming in telling other people how to run their corporation. And yes Wal-Mart will close down a store so the union can't form. Can't say that I blame them. If you came into my store and told me what I had to pay people and what benefits I had to offer them and oh by the way they are not going to work until you agree to this, I'd hire other people who would work or close the store if noone wanted to work. If you don't like what you are getting paid or need better benefits, go somewhere else and work. The people I know who have or do work at Wal-Mart feel like they are getting the best benefits they can get. Sure there are some who don't think that but you find that at every place.

But that's just the little version of my view on unions. And I'm suppose to be talking about football!! LOL;)

Actually, labor unions still are in place to protect workers's rights. If a worker is told to do a job that he deams as unsafe, and/or is against OSHA requirements, that person can report it to the labor union and they can protect their right of employment. I don't think that it is right that a business can take away benefits from its employees just as a way to cut back prices and increase profit. This idea can extend to the decreasing of wages. What is right is right and what is fair is fair, there is no middle ground, and if you were in a workforce such as an aluminim smelter, you would understand the necessity of a labor union. You would want fair pay and benefits, the same ones or better than the ones that you were assigned when you started the job. And yes, in history, labor unions were not just for the protection of unsafe work practices, but also the fight against unfair wages.

sahen
11-15-2006, 03:37 PM
this thread is heading towards political and religious fast.....

cant we just all agree to hate wal mart?? haha j/k

pirate4state
11-15-2006, 04:02 PM

cant we just all agree to hate wal mart?? haha j/k

I LOVE to HATE Wal Mart. ;)

JasperDog94
11-16-2006, 10:37 AM
Unions are the reason that you can't even pump your own gas in New Jersey. Gas station attendants formed a union.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

JasperDog94
11-16-2006, 10:39 AM
I thought that we had looked past discrimination in the late 1960s. It's funny how history has a way of repeating itself. First, it was the black community, now, it is the homosexual community. I'm not saying that it is morally right, but has it not crossed your mind that it is a person's individual right to chose what they do with their lives and not yours? Who are you to judge anyone else? I think that homosexuals should be granted the same rights under the law as heterosexual people, the same employment opportunities, and the right to marriage. All men are created equally, and are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights....Where in our Constitution does it say gay men and women are not allowed these same rights? This country was founded on Christian principles and values. I feel it should stay that way. You can be gay if you like, but don't ask me to accept it. I'll just leave it at that.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-16-2006, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
This country was founded on Christian principles and values. I feel it should stay that way. You can be gay if you like, but don't ask me to accept it. I'll just leave it at that.

Maybe I should remind you that there is freedom of religion in America. The United States was founded on morals and values that are Christian, but that does not mean that everyone in here is Christian. I for one am not gay, but I'm not going to let my beliefs or feelings on the matter force me to take away the rights of others just because I don't believe that it is morally right. Remember what happened to the entire black race in America? It wasn't that long ago when it wasn't morally right to be black and be an American citizen....

LH Panther Mom
11-16-2006, 11:10 AM

:thumbsup: