PDA

View Full Version : Tech wins...Knight "touches" a kid

Adidas410s
11-14-2006, 08:14 AM
LUBBOCK, Texas (AP) -- As Bob Knight moved one win closer to catching Dean Smith, his temper flared once again, when he used his hand to push a player's chin during a timeout, as if to make him look the coach in the eye.

With more than 4 minutes to go in Texas Tech's 86-74 victory over Gardner-Webb on Monday night, Red Raiders forward Michael Prince was called for a foul. During the ensuing timeout, Knight approached Prince, and as the player lowered his head, the coach made contact with his chin.

Knight gave a brief statement at the postgame news conference then answered one question before exiting the room. The incident with Prince was never addressed.

It was win No. 871 for Knight, who is five away from passing Adolph Rupp for second place on the all-time list. He needs nine more victories to surpass Smith for the most wins in Division I history.

Knight's career has featured three national championships, all at Indiana, and plenty of temper outbursts, including run-ins with players.

In 1992, Knight kicked a chair on the bench while son Pat, then a player for him at Indiana and now his assistant and successor-to-be at Texas Tech, was sitting in it. When fans behind the team bench booed, Knight turned and responded with an obscenity.

He was accused of grabbing a player by the throat during a practice in 1997, an episode that was caught on videotape and created the whirlwind that eventually led to his firing from Indiana in September 2000.

Knight was fired for what Indiana officials called a violation of a zero-tolerance behavior policy shortly after he grabbed the arm of a student who greeted him on campus by saying "Hey, what's up, Knight?"

His most infamous moment came in a game against Purdue in 1985, when he threw a chair across the court after being assessed a technical foul.

Jarrius Jackson led Texas Tech with 22 points in the first-round victory over Gardner-Webb in the College Basketball Experience Classic. The Red Raiders (2-0) will play Arkansas-Little Rock, an 81-79 winner over Akron, in the second round on Tuesday night.

Texas Tech led throughout after taking a 13-0 lead. Martin Zeno had 19 points and Esmir Rizvic notched 17 in his first start for the Red Raiders. Prince, a 6-foot-7 sophomore who averaged 2.7 points per game last season, finished with two points.

Ricky McPhee led Gardner-Webb (0-1) with 22 points.

Texas Tech led 34-27 at halftime, then hit 11 of its first 16 shots to open the second half, extending the lead to 61-48 with more than 9 minutes to go.

Gardner-Webb never got closer than eight points the rest of the way.

injuredinmelee
11-14-2006, 08:28 AM
I havent seen this videotape yet and not sure if it even exists but I will reserve judgement until then. I know how bad the media wants Knight to fail and how they will unethically magnify any type of situation involving anyone in the public eye in order to get a story.

Phil C
11-14-2006, 09:07 AM
Sounds like much ado about nothing.

Adidas410s
11-14-2006, 09:10 AM
I saw the video on ESPN...it's nothing.

- The player said it's nothing and he deserved it for looking down while Knight was talking to him.

- The player's mother said she was ok with what Knight did.

- Fran Frascilla, Gene Keaty, and Jay Bilas all said they were ok with what night did. Heck Keaty said he had done similar things with his players in the past when they didn't pay attention.

What's funny is keep track of how many times you hear this talked about today and how many analysts say "this is a non-issue" yet it will continue to be talked about all day. :(

kaorder1999
11-14-2006, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s

- The player said it's nothing and he deserved it for looking down while Knight was talking to him.

- The player's mother said she was ok with what Knight did.

- Fran Frascilla, Gene Keaty, and Jay Bilas all said they were ok with what night did. Heck Keaty said he had done similar things with his players in the past when they didn't pay attention.

What's funny is keep track of how many times you hear this talked about today and how many analysts say "this is a non-issue" yet it will continue to be talked about all day. :(

hes an adult...who cares what the mom thinks:D

3afan
11-14-2006, 09:21 AM

agree, but the media will run with it ..........

CHS_CG
11-14-2006, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
Sounds like much ado about nothing.

love that movie!

lostaussie
11-14-2006, 10:07 AM
he punched him in the freakin mouth:doh:

J/K you go Bobby Knight. Don't let that biased media tell you how to coach!!!!!!

District303aPastPlayer
11-14-2006, 10:19 AM
i saw the report on ESPN last night... Media has a field day... Bob Knight is tryin to teach the kid a lesson in life, not just on the basketball court. Looking a man in his eye when he is talking to you shows respect, IMO, and i believe thats what he was tryin to show.

kaorder1999
11-14-2006, 10:21 AM
amen....kids nowadays wont look their coach in the eye because parents arent making their kids look them in the eye!

DUKE22
11-14-2006, 10:28 AM
I think it is pretty simple with Bobby Knight. Yeah he has done things that are not right I think everyone will agree to that. The bottom line, 90% of the kids that play for him love him and are better men because they played for him. The other 10% is what everyone focuses on. The media only focuses on those 10%. He is one of the best coaches ever, and he graduates kids. He teaches the game of life as well as basketball.

kaorder1999
11-14-2006, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by DUKE22
I think it is pretty simple with Bobby Knight. Yeah he has done things that are not right I think everyone will agree to that. The bottom line, 90% of the kids that play for him love him and are better men because they played for him. The other 10% is what everyone focuses on. The media only focuses on those 10%. He is one of the best coaches ever, and he graduates kids. He teaches the game of life as well as basketball.

very well said!!!

Pudlugger
11-14-2006, 10:44 AM
More evidence of the pc wuzzification of the American male. Poor little baby his mean old coach touched him and violated his personal space. I'm sure his self-esteem has been damaged. Imagine how many hours in group therapy he will need to recover. He should sue Knight for this. If only there were less emphasis on winning and more emphasis on co-operation our boys would learn to get along and there would be no more war and world peace! Oh the humanity!!!! /s:D :D :D

wyliegrad04
11-14-2006, 10:48 AM

I couldn't have said it better ... As a good friend of someone who played bball for Knight at Indiana, I've seen it firsthand. Great teacher of the game but also an excellent teacher of just life in general. I know of several times where Andre was in Knight's office late hours talking about life issues and stuff, not bball ...

I don't think Tech will, or should, do anything. I heard on ESPN this morning people calling for like 6 game suspensions and stuff, thats crazy. Maybe he'll donate his salary to charity or something!! haha

Phil C
11-14-2006, 11:45 AM
I still think it is nothing major but what a hugh mistake that Coach Knight made in doing this action.

Phil C
11-14-2006, 11:49 AM
Regarding the kid that called him Knight.

What a sorry example of disrespect and foolishness by that kid who should have known better.

Phil C
11-14-2006, 11:50 AM
Regarding when Coach Knight threw the chair on the court.

What a terrible example of Blowing Your Cool.

Old Tiger
11-14-2006, 02:48 PM
non-issue

injuredinmelee
11-14-2006, 03:30 PM
I have now seen the video and anyone on here that participated in sport you know that stuff happens. I think it looks a lot worse on tv than it really was. It looks like the kid lowered his head and started speaking when Knight got his attention.

Adidas410s
11-14-2006, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
More evidence of the pc wuzzification of the American male. Poor little baby his mean old coach touched him and violated his personal space. I'm sure his self-esteem has been damaged. Imagine how many hours in group therapy he will need to recover. He should sue Knight for this. If only there were less emphasis on winning and more emphasis on co-operation our boys would learn to get along and there would be no more war and world peace! Oh the humanity!!!! /s:D :D :D

The kid didn't complain about it at all. He said he was ok with it...his parents are ok with it...it's just the media trying to create something out of nothing.

Old Tiger
11-14-2006, 03:52 PM
The kid didn't complain about it at all. He said he was ok with it...his parents are ok with it...it's just the media trying to create something out of nothing. Yup they're so good at it too

big daddy russ
11-14-2006, 04:44 PM
Keep it coming, Coach Knight.

One of my modern-day heroes.

g$$
11-14-2006, 05:40 PM

Well said & I agree.

But with Bobby, you get the good & the bad. I like & respect him, but he has a terrible temper that sometimes gets the best of him. Extremely intelligent & articulate man too. Graduates kids, teaches life lessons, etc. Bobby has trouble getting the top kids anymore because they resist structure & his discipline, basically a reflection of our society. He may be nearing the end soon after he gets the record.

(**He did sign a good class this year though last week.)

kaorder1999
11-15-2006, 09:17 AM
ill tell you what....after seeing the video I am changing my mind. Totally uncalled for. Tech and the player and his family can spin it all they want to but that was totally rediculous. It was FAR more then just pulling his chin towards him.

handNthedirt
11-15-2006, 09:27 AM
while in my opinion it's a non-issue...I'm interested to read that ol' Butkus feller's take on it.

kaorder1999
11-15-2006, 09:37 AM
He slapped him. There's no way around it.

Butkus
11-15-2006, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by handNthedirt
while in my opinion it's a non-issue...I'm interested to read that ol' Butkus feller's take on it. Well ask and ya shall receive youngun. Robert Montgomery Knight is withouta doubt ona tha greatest basketball coachs thar is. Great teacher of tha game and insist on tha academic side of tha game. That being said i think he has a problem with controlin his temper to tha point of being violent. Ifin a young man has his chin down and isnt listenin to ya you could jus put yur hand under his chin and raise it a bit since he probably couldnt hear over tha crowd. Ole Butkus really dont think a slap that snaps tha head is exactly tha best way ta handle it. Ifin tha lad and his folks got no problem with it then i guess i havfta agree with ya that its a non issue fur them. Ifin it were my son that he did it to then thats a whole different story. Me and old Bob might be goin out back if ya know what I mean.

handNthedirt
11-15-2006, 11:18 AM
sending your son off to play for coach knight and then getting upset when lil' johnny is yelled and screamed at, yanked around by his arm, or whatever, is the same as jumping in the lake and getting all bent outta shape cause you're now wet. unfortunately, coach knight is a dying breed...and I blame that on the parents of today's kids...making sure the kid feels all warm and fuzzy inside vs. teaching the little people responsibility for their own actions...while respecting others and themselves at the same time.

Butkus
11-15-2006, 11:23 AM
sending your son off to play for coach knight and then getting upset when lil' johnny is yelled and screamed at, yanked around by his arm, or whatever, is the same as jumping in the lake and getting all bent outta shape cause you're now wet. unfortunately, coach knight is a dying breed...and I blame that on the parents of today's kids...making sure the kid feels all warm and fuzzy inside vs. teaching the little people responsibility for their own actions...while respecting others and themselves at the same time. Dont disagree with the discipline part dirt. You wont win at any level without discipline. Discipline comes in many forms that dont involve violence. Ifin discipline is taught in the home where it should start then ya dont have the problems in the school. Otherwise ya see the crazies runnin the asylum to many times like ya see today.

kaorder1999
11-15-2006, 11:25 AM
of course they shouldnt complain because "they knew what they were getting themselves into." BUT...does it make it right to put your hands on a person like that? Of course not. What he did was more then just pulling his chin down to make sure he was looking him in the eye. He violently slapped him.

kaorder1999
11-15-2006, 11:27 AM
This Dallas Morning News Columnist says it best...in my opinion

BOBBY KNIGHT ARTICLE (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/111506dnspotaylor.847950c.html)

handNthedirt
11-15-2006, 11:29 AM
it shows the incident on espn.com at the speed that it happened at and then they slow it down...at normal speed it looks as if he slapped him but when it's slowed down it's obvious that knight gets the kid with the index finger side of his hand...no slap...just an attention getter.

kaorder1999
11-15-2006, 11:30 AM
SUPPORTERS DONT MAKE KNIGHT RIGHT

LUBBOCK – Bob Knight is a hypocrite surrounded by enablers like his good buddy and boss, Gerald Myers.

Knight holds everyone in his basketball program accountable for their actions, which is how he built Indiana into a dynasty and why he's eight wins shy of becoming the NCAA's all-time leader. It's the reason Knight recently kicked leading scorer Jarrius Jackson off the team for several days after some spotty classroom work threatened his eligibility.

So when he whacks Michael Prince on the chin during the second half of a Texas Tech win Monday night, all those who idolize Knight rush to defend him.

Myers said Knight did nothing wrong. University president Jon Whitmore said nothing at all. A legion of Knight's former players, assistants and cronies say he's just an old-school coach who believes in discipline.

Now you know why they're called enablers.

They refuse to even admit Knight forcefully smacked Prince on the jaw. Like a lot of folks, I've seen the replay more than a dozen times. Let's be clear: Knight did not redirect Prince's chin. Or lift it. Or flip it. And you can ignore any other euphemism his enablers have created to divert attention from Knight's act.

The coach delivered a short, quick blow to Prince's chin with his right hand, jerking the player's head back. Moments later, Prince sat on the bench rubbing his jaw as though trying to erase the discomfort.

We all know Knight is incapable of saying, "I'm sorry," or "I was wrong," or, "I should've found another way to make my point."

His enablers say Prince has no problem with what happened, so why should anyone else. They say his parents support Knight.

Who cares? Their support doesn't make Knight right.

Besides, what is Prince supposed to say? If the university leaders are too intimidated to confront Knight, why would a sophomore who averaged 2.7 points per game as a freshman say anything?

Knight's apologists will tell you the 66-year-old coach didn't do anything a hundred other coaches haven't done. Then why don't we ever hear about the others? Why is Knight the only coach constantly caught on tape putting his hands on players?

The cameras never seem to catch Coach K doing it. Or Tom Izzo. Or Roy Williams. Each runs disciplined, winning programs.

There's no problem if Knight wants to yank Prince's jersey or get in his face and yell at him, but you don't pop a grown man in the face before an arena full of fans. Knight gets away with his boorish behavior because he wins basketball games and generates revenue for the university.

Tech had a solid basketball program before Knight arrived, but Dickie V wasn't screaming about it. And companies weren't spending money to put their logos on Knight's sweater, and ESPN had no interest in shooting a reality show about Tech hoops.

Red Raider faithful have no intentions of criticizing Knight. They're simply delighted anytime their isolated West Texas campus is in the news.

Knight has done wonderful things for many of his former players during a career that has spanned five decades.

This incident has nothing to do with that.

Jabbing Prince on the chin is simply one more in a litany of violent incidents by an old man who can't control his temper any better now than he did as a young man.

That's part of the reason most of the nation's top recruits have zero interest in playing for a coach with three NCAA titles and 27 NCAA Tournament berths. Kids appreciate discipline and standards for behavior; they don't like abuse.

If this were another coach without a history of violence, perhaps we could ignore this incident. This, however, is a pattern with Knight.

In many ways, it's sad.

We should be celebrating Knight's greatness as he nears one of college basketball's hallowed records. Instead we focus – once again – on his anger-management issues. Knight won't admit he has a problem and needs help, and his enablers continue to ignore it.

JasperDog94
11-15-2006, 12:06 PM
Some people say that you should never touch a kid. Now how many of you out there had your football coach grab you by the facemask to get your attention? I know I did. It's called coaching.

kaorder1999
11-15-2006, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Some people say that you should never touch a kid. Now how many of you out there had your football coach grab you by the facemask to get your attention? I know I did. It's called coaching.

I agree but times have changed....you grab the wrong facemask now and you are out of a job.

JasperDog94
11-15-2006, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
I agree but times have changed....you grab the wrong facemask now and you are out of a job. Thank you ACLU.:rolleyes:

kaorder1999
11-15-2006, 12:14 PM
my opinion...a good coach can get his players attention and respect without ever laying a hand on them! Not saying that Bobby Knight isn't a good coach of course, but nowadays in HS sports you have to get their attention without touching them!

JasperDog94
11-15-2006, 12:27 PM
my opinion...a good coach can get his players attention and respect without ever laying a hand on them! Not saying that Bobby Knight isn't a good coach of course, but nowadays in HS sports you have to get their attention without touching them! I guess I'm just real "touchy" (no pun intended) on this subject. A close friend of mine was running a band rehearsal and had a student that was not doing what he asked her to do. He told her to fall out of formation and she refused to move. She was interupting a rehearsal for 150 other students by refusing to move, so my friend grabbed her by the arm and moved her himself. Her dad was at rehearsal and has filed charges against my friend. (This isn't the first time this has happened with this family)

I know this isn't the same situation, but I don't believe that you should "never" touch a kid.

Old Tiger
11-15-2006, 12:28 PM
:mad:IT IS ALL PART OF THE WUSSIFICATION OF AMERICA!!!!:mad:

JasperDog94
11-15-2006, 12:29 PM
Another time the choir teacher had his van around the back of the school where the field was. A group of students were hanging around his van and he asked them to move. One of the students then jumped up on the bumper of his van and started jumping up and down on it. He told the student to stop, but the kid didn't. So he grabbed the kid and pulled him off HIS van. The choir director got a personal reprimand placed in his file for protecting his own property.:mad: :mad: :mad:

pirate4state
11-15-2006, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
:mad:IT IS ALL PART OF THE WUSSIFICATION OF AMERICA!!!!:mad:

AGREED!!! :foul:

handNthedirt
11-15-2006, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Another time the choir teacher had his van around the back of the school where the field was. A group of students were hanging around his van and he asked them to move. One of the students then jumped up on the bumper of his van and started jumping up and down on it. He told the student to stop, but the kid didn't. So he grabbed the kid and pulled him off HIS van. The choir director got a personal reprimand placed in his file for protecting his own property.:mad: :mad: :mad:

Words can't express how glad I am that I don't have to deal with crap like this day in and day out any longer...and 99% of teachers in public schools, especially high schools, have to deal with these classless, disrespectful turds and their actions daily...and their sorry-ass parents. I couldn't agree more, the wussification of this Great Land is definitely underway. John Wayne, Tom Landry, Bear Bryant...all 3 are looking down on us from Heaven...and they're reeeeeeal dissappointed in the direction this country is heading.

Butkus
11-15-2006, 01:00 PM
and 99% of teachers in public schools, especially high schools, have to deal with these classless, disrespectful turds and their actions daily...and their sorry-ass parents. Whoa thar ya go again ole dirt man makin a blanket statement. Sur hope God forbid ya dont have kids someday cus tha above statement would then apply ta u and ur kids too.

JasperDog94
11-15-2006, 01:08 PM
He didn't say "all" kids are turds.;)

handNthedirt
11-15-2006, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Butkus
Whoa thar ya go again ole dirt man makin a blanket statement. Sur hope God forbid ya dont have kids someday cus tha above statement would then apply ta u and ur kids too.

blanket statement? are you kidding me? maybe you should put your ol' readin glasses on and read it again, ol' feller. I said 99% of TEACHERS in public schools, especially at the H.S. level, must deal with punk kids daily. I am a parent, and I guarantee my kid's teachers won't have to put up with any disrespect from my kids more than once...if that.

football4life
11-15-2006, 03:22 PM
This Dallas Morning News Columnist says it best...in my opinion

BOBBY KNIGHT ARTICLE (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/111506dnspotaylor.847950c.html)

we get the point, you're with the media-blow it up, it is such a HUGE deal. he practically smacked the kid. anyone with any close connection to the incident has been fine with it, in case you haven't read that in any articles.

DaHop72
11-15-2006, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by football4life
we get the point, you're with the media-blow it up If this is pointed at kaorder1999, you missed his profession.:thinking:

big daddy russ
11-15-2006, 04:21 PM
I was raised by a pretty mean man, one who probably has a worse temper than Bobby Knight, but one that had all of our best interests at heart. He wasn't afraid to lay the wood to me or my bro if we cut up, but would do just about anything for his family.

Case in point: He's 57 years old and works in construction (well, fabrication... works all over the US). Probably walks five to six miles a day. Does a lot of crawling, bending over, etc.

This summer, he tore up one of his knees while doing a job in Massachussetts. He finished the job (six weeks walking around on a torn meniscus and some torn ligaments) because my brother and I were both hurting for money.

My bro doesn't have a job during the school year and is a senior at A&M, but doesn't get a lot of help from the government because my parents make too much. So my dad kept trucking, made the money, then came back down to Corpus and had surgery.

Two months later (September), his knees hadn't recovered at all (they're thinking about knee replacements right now), but he went back to work anyways because my sister lost her job. As of yesterday, he took a job offshore and will be there for a while.

That's who Bobby Knight is. He isn't afraid to tell these guys what they need to hear or to teach them lessons that other coaches won't teach, but would go to the ends of the Earth for each and every one of his kids. Why do you think that there are more Bobby Knight disciples in the college coaching ranks than Dean Smith, Roy Williams, and Mike K disciples combined?

Nowadays, people don't like the idea of "hurting" kids, but what they don't realize is that by not toughening them up you're turning them into softees when they get into the real world. Licks (spankings) aren't politically correct anymore, and neither is something as silly (yes, I said it, silly) as this.

Michael Prince is no longer a kid, no matter what anyone tells you. At 20 years old, you're a man by my standards. Prince said it was OK. His parents said it was OK. Just because a bunch of progressive wack-jobs in the media (and yes, that's my profession, I know they're wack jobs because I've worked around hundreds of them... there aren't very many people in this profession who would agree with Knight's way bringing up a kid) don't agree with it ---like that annoying college hoops analyst on ESPN--- doesn't make it wrong.

These are the simple facts: American society today no longer has a place for the old school, no matter how much they glorify it. In the old days, coaches were much worse than that and nobody cared. In the old days, discipline and structure within a team were valued. In the old days, you did whatever was necessary to make a kid listen and a lot of times, that involved physically forcing a kid to do what you're telling them to do.

Nowadays (and this has happened just in the eight years since I graduated HS), you have to get a signed, frickin' permission slip to give a student licks. Nowadays, kids are given the option of not listening. And many choose not to because they're given that option. Discipline is being lost every day and all we're hearing is that we have to find a way to make it work without "touching" them.

It's not working, and it never will. Why? Because it's wrong. Period. Political correctness is wrong, and it's one of the worst things to ever happen to our nation.

What it boils down to is that he he slapped a 20-year old man, and it obviously didn't hurt that bad. It got Prince's attention, and he went back out and did exactly what Knight asked of him. EXACTLY WHAT KNIGHT ASKED OF HIM. He didn't go to the hospital. He didn't have to get his jaw wired shut. Therefore, it's neither battery or abuse. It's discipline.

big daddy russ
11-15-2006, 04:28 PM
Double Post

handNthedirt
11-15-2006, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I was raised by a pretty mean man, one who probably has a worse temper than Bobby Knight, but one that had all of our best interests at heart. He wasn't afraid to lay the wood to me or my bro if we cut up, but would do just about anything for his family.

Case in point: He's 57 years old and works in construction (well, fabrication... works all over the US). Probably walks five to six miles a day. Does a lot of crawling, bending over, etc.

This summer, he tore up one of his knees while doing a job in Massachussetts. He finished the job (six weeks walking around on a torn meniscus and some torn ligaments) because my brother and I were both hurting for money.

My bro doesn't have a job during the school year and is a senior at A&M, but doesn't get a lot of help from the government because my parents make too much. So my dad kept trucking, made the money, then came back down to Corpus and had surgery.

Two months later (September), his knees hadn't recovered at all (they're thinking about knee replacements right now), but he went back to work anyways because my sister lost her job. As of yesterday, he took a job offshore and will be there for a while.

That's who Bobby Knight is. He isn't afraid to tell these guys what they need to hear or to teach them lessons that other coaches won't teach, but would go to the ends of the Earth for each and every one of his kids. Why do you think that there are more Bobby Knight disciples in the college coaching ranks than Dean Smith, Roy Williams, and Mike K disciples combined?

Nowadays, people don't like the idea of "hurting" kids, but what they don't realize is that by not toughening them up you're turning them into softees when they get into the real world. Licks (spankings) aren't politically correct anymore, and neither is something as silly (yes, I said it, silly) as this.

Michael Prince is no longer a kid, no matter what anyone tells you. At 20 years old, you're a man by my standards. Prince said it was OK. His parents said it was OK. Just because a bunch of progressive wack-jobs in the media (and yes, that's my profession, I know they're wack jobs because I've worked around hundreds of them... there aren't very many people in this profession who would agree with Knight's way bringing up a kid) like that annoying college hoops analyst on ESPN doesn't make it wrong.

These are the simple facts: American society today no longer has a place for the old school, no matter how much they glorify it. In the old days, coaches were much worse than that and nobody cared. In the old days, discipline and structure within a team were valued. In the old days, you did whatever was necessary to make a kid listen and a lot of times, that involved physically forcing a kid to do what you're telling them to do.

Nowadays (and this has happened just in the eight years since I graduated HS), you have to get a signed, frickin' permission slip to give a student licks. Nowadays, kids are given the option of not listening. And many don't. Discipline is being lost every day and all we're hearing is that we have to find a way to make it work without "touching" them.

It's not working, and it never will. Why? Because it's wrong. Period. Political correctness is wrong, and it's one of the worst things to ever happen to our nation.

What it boils down to is that he he slapped a 20-year old man, and it obviously didn't hurt that bad. It got Prince's attention, and he went back out and did exactly what Knight asked of him. EXACTLY WHAT KNIGHT ASKED OF HIM. He didn't go to the hospital. He didn't have to get his jaw wired shut. Therefore, it's neither battery or abuse. It's discipline.

Thatta Kid!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Macarthur
11-15-2006, 06:03 PM
Well, I'm going to be in the minority here, but I don't like Knight. I think he is a jerk. He's an awful human being to other people. There are numerous accounts of people he has verbally assualted during his career. He's simply an a-hole.

Now, I don't have a problem with discipline. I've had coaches hit my helmet, grab my facemask, even kick me in the ass. Don't have a problem with any of that.

However, I have a thing about people touching my face or head. Let me just say that if a coach ever slapped me in the face, we would go to the dirt. I can't stand anyone "messing" with my head or face.

So I guess if the kid and his family are okay with it, I could care less. But no child of mine would play for a jackass like Bobby Knight.

kaorder1999
11-15-2006, 06:59 PM
if I were to do what Bobby Knight did to a high schooler I would be fired. If Bill Parcells were to do that to one of his professional athletes he would have either gotten his butt kicked or he would have been fired. If a little league or peewee coach would have done it to a child he would have been prosecuted or fired.

g$$
11-15-2006, 07:13 PM
Parcells & Knight are big buddies. I have seen Bill grab people & do some things over the years. You are still inherently right though in what you said. Most people would have gotten into trouble.

Bobby's not changing people, he is who he is. Coack K is a Knight disciple Russ (West Point), but Roy Williams comes from the Dean Smith chain. Lots of Coach K disciples out there now, more so than Bobby anymore. I respect Bobby a lot, but he does have temper issues & this is a different time & age. His time is drawing near IMO.

handNthedirt
11-17-2006, 09:39 AM
this is classic Knight...maybe even more fired up than usual cause he's on the golf course.....hilarious! (language)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WPqcnbGEUE

handNthedirt
11-17-2006, 11:27 AM
try this one...golf lessons with bob knight. (language)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IwxgfDhUa8

kaorder1999
11-17-2006, 11:29 AM
I downloaded a Bobby Knight halftime speech that one of his players recorded on their cell phone and he dropped the F Bomb 27 times in a minute and a half.

handNthedirt
11-17-2006, 11:36 AM
he's at the top of my list of people I'd like to drink with.