PDA

View Full Version : Farmers Branch Passes 3 Anti-Illegal Immigration Ordinances

Adidas410s
11-13-2006, 11:02 PM
http://www.myfoxdfw.com/myfox/pages/News/Detail?contentId=1476223&version=8&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1

luvhoops34
11-14-2006, 12:15 AM
Good for them, maybe more cities will follow suite.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-14-2006, 01:32 AM
Great idea in my opinion. I really don't think that ordinances should have to be passed to hold up the current state and federal laws, however....

Adidas410s
11-14-2006, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
Great idea in my opinion. I really don't think that ordinances should have to be passed to hold up the current state and federal laws, however....

I think they did it since they don't feel like the state and federal laws are being properly enforced. This gives the community an additional measure to ensure their enforcement.

kaorder1999
11-14-2006, 09:15 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

3afan
11-14-2006, 09:25 AM
I have mixed emotions about this

of course I am all for LEGAL immigration ..... but what would the city of FB do if all the folks who spoke spanish suddenly left town? they would be hurting for sure, as any city would that had a large population of spanish speaking residents ....

its tough subject ... its easy to sit on the sidelines and say yes we are in the USA so speak English, but there is so much more to it than that

IMO

luvhoops34
11-14-2006, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by 3afan

of course I am all for LEGAL immigration ..... but what would the city of FB do if all the folks who spoke spanish suddenly left town? they would be hurting for sure, as any city would that had a large population of spanish speaking residents ....

its tough subject ... its easy to sit on the sidelines and say yes we are in the USA so speak English, but there is so much more to it than that

IMO

Lots of "legal" immigrants and citizens speak Spanish. There would be some adjustment, but in the long run, things would work out fine. If every city would do this, it would go a long way in solving the problem of illegal immigration, that for some reason the federal government refuses to deal with.

Phil C
11-14-2006, 11:55 AM
What an example of trying to superceed federal and possible state law.

pancho villa
11-14-2006, 11:57 AM
We are taking over Texas.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-14-2006, 11:57 AM

IMO

America was based on the English language, and English has been our language for over 200 years. Immigrants before the current ones had to learn English in order to sustain, so why should we cater to a group of people who aren't willing to learn our language. American babies have been learning English for decades, so shouldn't it be self-evident that an adult or a teenage child can also learn the language, since they have a broader mental capacity? There is no excuse for lack of effort or being content in hopes of someone giving you something.

Adidas410s
11-14-2006, 11:58 AM
America was based on the English language, and English has been our language for over 200 years. Immigrants before the current ones had to learn English in order to sustain, so why should we cater to a group of people who aren't willing to learn our language. American babies have been learning English for decades, so shouldn't it be self-evident that an adult or a teenage child can also learn the language, since they have a broader mental capacity? There is no excuse for lack of effort or being content in hopes of someone giving you something.

THERE IS NO OFFICIAL LANGUAGE!!! :mad:

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-14-2006, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
THERE IS NO OFFICIAL LANGUAGE!!! :mad:

I never said there was, but I will say it (English) should be.

Blastoderm55
11-14-2006, 12:03 PM
So what good does naming an official language do? They gonna arrest people for speaking Spanish, or use it for profiling suspected illegals? Will it no longer be taught in schools? This is just baffling.

Illegal immigration, itself, isn't as tricky. Sure, we'll be fine without them. We'll just pay more for our produce and for any work that requires a contractor. My whole view on this from the beginning has been to punish those who exploit illegals. Slaps on the wrist are not an option. Fines must be levied against businesses that continue to employ illegals. If the fines don't scare them away, take away their business license. If the illegals have no work to come here for, they'll stop coming. Prosecute the coyotes (smugglers) to the fullest extent of the law. Make them pay for the atrocities they've committed. This bogus fence is nothing more than a bandage. The real problem is the fact that far too many companies and individuals actually want illegals here. Being a Hispanic, I feel for those who come here in search of something better, but our country has its own problems. The road to citizenship is long and expensive, but do it the right way so you don't have to live life on the run, worried about La Migra and whatnot.

And for pete's sake, people need to stop confusing Hispanics with illegals. :mad: Good freaking lord. Just keep on breeding the racial tensions and bigotry, why don't you?

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-14-2006, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
So what good does naming an official language do? They gonna arrest people for speaking Spanish, or use it for profiling suspected illegals? Will it no longer be taught in schools? This is just baffling.

Illegal immigration, itself, isn't as tricky. Sure, we'll be fine without them. We'll just pay more for our produce and for any work that requires a contractor. My whole view on this from the beginning has been to punish those who exploit illegals. Slaps on the wrist are not an option. Fines must be levied against businesses that continue to employ illegals. If the fines don't scare them away, take away their business license. If the illegals have no work to come here for, they'll stop coming. Prosecute the coyotes (smugglers) to the fullest extent of the law. Make them pay for the atrocities they've committed. This bogus fence is nothing more than a bandage. The real problem is the fact that far too many companies and individuals actually want illegals here. Being a Hispanic, I feel for those who come here in search of something better, but our country has its own problems. The road to citizenship is long and expensive, but do it the right way so you don't have to live life on the run, worried about La Migra and whatnot.

And for pete's sake, people need to stop confusing Hispanics with illegals. :mad: Good freaking lord. Just keep on breeding the racial tensions and bigotry, why don't you?

Nobody said anything about Hispanics. You have been the first to mention it on this thread. If you have ever been to Canada, you will see that there are street signs in both English and French. I simply think that making English the national language will prevent things like this from happening. I'm not for the use of our tax money to go into putting up signs in another language because people are too lazy to learn English.

Blastoderm55
11-14-2006, 12:07 PM
As for English/Spanish, look at it this way. English is an extremely difficult language to master. We spend the first 18 years of our lives trying to develop an understanding of its fundamentals, and look at how stupid some of us still are. Spanish, on the other hand, is learned in about 3 classes during high school and can often prepare you for a trip abroad. Yes, immigrants, both legal and illegal need to learn basic English, but don't knock them for having a tough time doing so. Young Mexican kids speak Spanish early in their childhood while we Americans are still making our goo-goos and ga-gas.

pancho villa
11-14-2006, 12:10 PM
Estoy aquí para todas las mujeres blancas y la cerveza fría.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-14-2006, 12:10 PM
As for English/Spanish, look at it this way. English is an extremely difficult language to master. We spend the first 18 years of our lives trying to develop an understanding of its fundamentals, and look at how stupid some of us still are. Spanish, on the other hand, is learned in about 3 classes during high school and can often prepare you for a trip abroad. Yes, immigrants, both legal and illegal need to learn basic English, but don't knock them for having a tough time doing so. Young Mexican kids speak Spanish early in their childhood while we Americans are still making our goo-goos and ga-gas.

I knew how to comprehend and speak English before I was 3, and could read just about anything by the time I was 5. Don't tell me that English is too hard to master.

Blastoderm55
11-14-2006, 12:14 PM
I knew how to comprehend and speak English before I was 3, and could read just about anything by the time I was 5. Don't tell me that English is too hard to master.

You know you're a bit brighter than the average person. :p There are guys I went to high school who couldn't read Charlotte' Web. :eek: Weren't immigrants either.

Blastoderm55
11-14-2006, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by pancho villa
Estoy aquí para todas las mujeres blancas y la cerveza fría.

:cool:

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-14-2006, 12:15 PM
You know you're a bit brighter than the average person. :p There are guys I went to high school who couldn't read Charlotte' Web. :eek: Weren't immigrants either.

Trust me, it's not that hard to learn English, or any other language, if you're willing to devote the time necessary.

BULLDAWG-MOM
11-14-2006, 12:17 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbsup: :D

3afan
11-14-2006, 12:25 PM
... English is an extremely difficult language to master. ...

yeah, just ask AJ :D

Boosty_Hondo
11-14-2006, 12:25 PM
woot good choice

Blastoderm55
11-14-2006, 12:26 PM
yeah, just ask AJ :D

EXACTLY! And he's gonna be teaching! :p

Old Tiger
11-14-2006, 02:45 PM
Send the damn illegal immigrants back to their country!!!:mad:

Why should we have to speak spanish?:mad:

JR2004
11-14-2006, 03:37 PM
I applaud Farmer's Branch for doing this. The federal government couldn't care less about ILLEGAL immigration so it's good to see at least one city here in Texas that's going to do something about it. There's nothing racist about what they're doing despite what LULAC and the ACLU seem to think about this. I'd be hacked off about this if they were targeting legal immigrants, but they're just going after the ones who aren't here legally.

I got an interesting perspective from my dad about this earlier today and he felt like they're doing the right thing. Few things get him as mad as illegal immigration because my dad immigrated here LEGALLY from Germany in the 1960's. He came here speaking almost not a single word of English, but he was determined to learn the language and he said he would just read the newspaper everyday to help him learn English. My dad went through the proper procedures on becoming an American citizen and so should anyone else that wants to come live here.