PDA

View Full Version : Giddings Buffaloes and my Opinion

bigman33
06-29-2002, 10:39 PM
Giddings Buffaloes 2002

ROCKDALE - 1st game, very decent chance of winning, maybe.

Columbus - away, I think Columbus will be improved, Giddings has chance for victory, maybe. This will be a low scoring game.

Yoakum - away, this is a rout, Yoakum beats Giddings by 20. G-Town's O-Line can not block Yoakums confusing defensive scheme.

Cameron - away, Cameron wins by 30 or more. Cameron is looking for blood and is smelling it. After Giddings won district last year and stormed the field and did not shake there hands, Cameron is looking to kill G-Town. Ross Watson will be in the backfield all night long.

CALDWELL - home, Good chance of a victory, but I see a improved Caldwell team, but Giddings may win.

Smithville - away, If they do not crash the bus on the way to the game, Giddings will win. The battle of the shits. Giddings by 25.

MANOR - Manor will be improved but, Giddings has very good chance of winning, if they play smart ball and its at home.

La Grange - away, LG will be young on defense, but, I see a game of about 24 - 7 or so. Rival game, scoring will be close for a little while. LG wins though, maybe worse than I think.

Hutto - away, To me, this is the pivotal game of the season for both teams, to see if either team can make the playoffs. Since Hutto was 2A, it gives the Buffs the edge, but Hutto may pull of the upset and go to the playoffs, you never know.

ELGIN - home, Last home game for the Buffs, and I see revenge in the eyes of the Wildcats. Elgin returns a lot of great players and I see Elgin winning district. Elgin wins this game by 30 or more.

Final Prediction - Giddings' Record 4-6
3 wins in district, if they beat Hutto. A play off shot and I give them the Caldwell game for their only win in pre-district. Tough times will occur with Odell running the option, the ball will be flying around everywhere. The key is the defense and a lot depends on who the d-coordinator is. A crapy defense, means a crapy season for the Buffs.

I know these predictions sound bad on my part and I am Buff fan. But, this new coach has no clue in my opinion and has torn down this program, not built it up. Good Luck, they will need it.

yoefan2002
06-29-2002, 11:20 PM
i;ll see you in cameron on sept 9 at yoe field cause the YOEMAN dont forget anysways good luck to yall all

QBKilla
06-29-2002, 11:33 PM
Kind of pessimistic views of your own team, though most of your points are well made. I see the Buffs maybe going 5-5. But who knows maybe this post will piss em off enough to prove us wrong. Good luck to the Buffs anyways. Oh and just a hint, don't go and tick off power houses like Cameron unless you got alot coming back next year http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/smile.gif.

[This message has been edited by QBKilla (edited June 29, 2002).]

bigman33
06-29-2002, 11:37 PM
Giddings lost 23 seniors.

bigman33
06-29-2002, 11:39 PM
And, in Texas football it says that Odell was from the Giddings staff last year and was hired. He only wishes he was apart of that team.

Swarm 51
06-30-2002, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by bigman33:
Giddings lost 23 seniors.

Gatesville lost 23 seniors after they won the Div. 1 state championship in 2000. DCTF nor did anyone else give them a ghost of a chance in 2001. Yet, with great work ethics, hard work, determination and superior coaching they went 9-3 and two deep into the playoffs. So, don't write off your Buffalos as they might surprise you. Your post indicated some negativism towards your new head coach. I do not know anything about him, but hopefully, when the pads are put on and the season starts the team will jell.

bigman33
06-30-2002, 11:58 PM
Gatesville might have been wrote off before te 2001 season. But, they also returned most of there coaching staff from the year before. Giddings lost all there coaches and this coach they brought in, ...we will just see how well he does.

Swarm 51
07-01-2002, 12:36 AM
Have to agree with you Bigman33 that the 2001 Gatesville team had an advantage in that an assistant was promoted to AD/HC and all of the other assistants remained on his staff. The supt. and school board realized this and made a great decision when they promoted from within the system. Will be hoping for the best for the Giddings team in their up and coming season.

bigcat8
07-01-2002, 11:32 AM
didn't an assistant coach on staff originally get offered the job and turned it down??

bigman33
07-01-2002, 07:59 PM
Yes, our Offensive coordinator was offered the AD/HC. He turned the job, no one really knows the reason and there is always rumors on the reasons why he did not take the job. Coach Price, his name, took a 5A OC job somewhere in San Antonio. Hey, I have a question for the Gatesville people. Yall had a All - State offensive linemen the past two years, I believe he was a black kid, I am not forsure. I remember watching him on film against Lorena, boy did he come off the football. I was just wondering where he went to school, thats all.

Swarm 51
07-02-2002, 01:00 AM
Bigman, the offensive lineman you asked about is Darion Roberts, who made allstate guard both his junior and senior year. Unfortunately, Darion will not be playing football in college, but not because no one wanted him. Many college recuiters were knocking on his door, TCU being one doing most of the knocking. But, Darion has chosen to stay close to home and attend MCC in Waco. He was raised by his grandmother from the time he was born. Her eye sight is becoming very bad to the point she can not drive. Therefore, because of his love for his grandmother he has decided to stay close to home to look after her. She strongly encouraged him to go to college and play football, but Darion refused to leave her because of her failing eyesight. He is admired by all of the community for his unselfishness and desire to give back to the woman who raised him to be a fine, well mannered and caring young man. We all love the kid.

SintonFan
07-02-2002, 03:46 AM
Swarm 51, if you see this young man, shake his hand for me. Now that's maturity!

bigcat8
07-02-2002, 09:24 AM
Price seemed to be a great guy. Ya'll were lucky to have Ivie and that staff. How are the players taking to the new coach? Will they all play this year??
Yes, our Offensive coordinator was offered the AD/HC. He turned the job, no one really knows the reason and there is always rumors on the reasons why he did not take the job. Coach Price, his name, took a 5A OC job somewhere in San Antonio. Hey, I have a question for the Gatesville people. Yall had a All - State offensive linemen the past two years, I believe he was a black kid, I am not forsure. I remember watching him on film against Lorena, boy did he come off the football. I was just wondering where he went to school, thats all.

bigcat8
07-02-2002, 11:54 AM
Hey bigman, How good will Elgin and LaGrange be in 2002?
Giddings Buffaloes 2002

ROCKDALE - 1st game, very decent chance of winning, maybe.

Columbus - away, I think Columbus will be improved, Giddings has chance for victory, maybe. This will be a low scoring game.

Yoakum - away, this is a rout, Yoakum beats Giddings by 20. G-Town's O-Line can not block Yoakums confusing defensive scheme.

Cameron - away, Cameron wins by 30 or more. Cameron is looking for blood and is smelling it. After Giddings won district last year and stormed the field and did not shake there hands, Cameron is looking to kill G-Town. Ross Watson will be in the backfield all night long.

CALDWELL - home, Good chance of a victory, but I see a improved Caldwell team, but Giddings may win.

Smithville - away, If they do not crash the bus on the way to the game, Giddings will win. The battle of the shits. Giddings by 25.

MANOR - Manor will be improved but, Giddings has very good chance of winning, if they play smart ball and its at home.

La Grange - away, LG will be young on defense, but, I see a game of about 24 - 7 or so. Rival game, scoring will be close for a little while. LG wins though, maybe worse than I think.

Hutto - away, To me, this is the pivotal game of the season for both teams, to see if either team can make the playoffs. Since Hutto was 2A, it gives the Buffs the edge, but Hutto may pull of the upset and go to the playoffs, you never know.

ELGIN - home, Last home game for the Buffs, and I see revenge in the eyes of the Wildcats. Elgin returns a lot of great players and I see Elgin winning district. Elgin wins this game by 30 or more.

Final Prediction - Giddings' Record 4-6
3 wins in district, if they beat Hutto. A play off shot and I give them the Caldwell game for their only win in pre-district. Tough times will occur with Odell running the option, the ball will be flying around everywhere. The key is the defense and a lot depends on who the d-coordinator is. A crapy defense, means a crapy season for the Buffs.

I know these predictions sound bad on my part and I am Buff fan. But, this new coach has no clue in my opinion and has torn down this program, not built it up. Good Luck, they will need it.

bigman33
07-02-2002, 02:58 PM
Elgin and La Grange will be very tough in my opinion. Elgin, though, they might be a sleeper. With good coaching and lots of experience returning, they could win district easily. LG, on the other hand, has a great program, with a good running quarterback, his arm to me needs to improve, but he is gamer. LG will be young, but I believe they have a good of chance as anybody right now. Giddings will young and some players are thinking about not playing. A few of them being starters on last years Semi's team. But, that is just speculation. I heard that Giddings will practice two a days at what we in Giddings call the city park, so they can use the city swimmming pool to condition in. I guess swimming lessons start in August. I was wondering what happened to the young man in Gatesville, he was a heck a player and sounds like a great young man.

buffalo booster
07-03-2002, 05:26 PM
Not everybody in Giddings has the same opinions of the football team and the new coach.

Coach Odell hasn't had the opportunity to coach one game yet and he is already being criticized in some circles. Still don't understand exactly why this happens in some communities.

I understand that he is trying to put in a new offense. Seems logical. He lost almost all of his offensive starters to graduation this year.

We may run the ball more. That seems logical as well. We lost Derryk Blasig, the all-district QB, and John Ray and Chris Daniels, who were both all-district receivers. QB for next year is still a question. Degerolami, who was 2nd string QB last year, probably has the best arm of the kids who are competing, but he doesn't have the size to be a drop-back passer. He'd do better running the option. Johnathan Green, who is also trying out for the position, has played tailback since the 7th grade and will probably be all-district at running back if he does not QB. Passing is not his strength...

Regardless of who is throwing the ball, though, there has to be somebody to catch it. We lost Ray and Daniels, and also Meyer (2nd team all district) and Mitschke (honorable mention all-district). According to DCTF, Degerolami has the most returning experience at receiver, yet he may well be the QB.

The strength of this year's team will be in running the ball. There are quite a few kids who are capable running backs -- Green, Nicks, Alexander, Rodea. You've got to go with your strength, and I believe that Odell sees that and is changing the offensive scheme to fit this year's talents, rather than trying to make last year's scheme work with kids that have different abilities.

I'm willing to give the guy a chance.

The 4-6 and 5-5 predictions are more than a little pessimistic. Cameron and La Grange are definitely the two tuffest teams on the schedule. Both games are away, and both may well end in losses. But, these are the only two games I can "concede" at this point. I predict an 8-2 record, possibly 7-3 with an away game at Yoakum as another possible loss. (But, then again, they were supposed to beat us last year, too, and the game was a fairly one-sided victory for Giddings.)

Bottom line - the Buffs will be better than some folks are predicting. They won't be 13-2 and regional champs again but they'll make the playoffs and make a few folks eat crow.

bigman33
07-03-2002, 05:31 PM
Well, you better get those kids in the weight room. And you are saying that Giddings did not run the ball last year. We rushed for 3,600 yards and passed for over 1,500 yards. Lets see if Odell can do that. We will see what he does, but I just have too much inside information, and I do not see a 8 - 2 season. I see a 6 - 5 or 5 - 5 season. I also believe this might be the best season Odell has in Giddings. Mark my words on that.

bigcat8
07-03-2002, 06:47 PM
I understand your devotion to Giddings but 8-2. I do not see it. Good lineman and super skill kids walked across the stage.That coupled with the fact that practically the whole coaching staff has left. The key was Ivey and his defense. They were stingy. Good luck to Coach Odell and the buffaloes. I just do not agree with the 8-2 deal....

buffalo booster
07-03-2002, 07:25 PM
Didn't mean to slight last year's rushing offense. No argument here. Chris Winn, Corey Moore, and Mike Jones were all outstanding running backs. They will be difficult to replace. But, we've got some kids coming up that are good and are capable of putting up some decent numbers. Passing game is what concerns me more than anything at this point.

Hope you're wrong about your prediction, bigman. Guess we'll know which way the season is headed after the Rockdale game...

Swarm 51
07-04-2002, 12:50 AM
A good coach will usually use an offense that best suits the talent he has available. Because Gatesville had Taurean Henderson for 4 years the one back set was used and Henderson broke all types of records for the Hornets. But, when Henderson graduated in 2001 there was no one on the roster to equal him on the 2002 team. With that in mind the coaching staff went to a two back set which worked well for the talent they had. And, then I have seen coaches run only one type of offense whether they have the personnel for it or not. Can't see the forest for the trees I guess.

oldbuff78
07-05-2002, 09:13 AM
Good luck Buffs, I hope that they do at least a 5-6 season.

Chris Hart
07-05-2002, 11:00 AM
Giddings limps into playoffs after 6-4 regular season.

------------------
Big Green Dawg