PDA

View Full Version : Region IV GotW (Round 1): Raymondville vs Rio Hondo

LH Panther Mom
11-13-2006, 01:55 PM
Raymondville Bearkats (31-3A) and Rio Hondo Bobcats (32-3A) will meet Friday, 7:30, Burnett Stadium, Raymondville, in this D1 first round matchup.

The Bearkats ended the season in 2nd place in their district, with an overall record of 6-4. They were 3-1 in district, with the loss to district champs, Zapata.

The Bobcats finished in 2nd place in district as well. Their overall record was 9-1, district record 3-1. Their only loss came to district champ Port Isabel.

The teams met earlier in the season, with Rio Hondo winning 42-7.

Thoughts? Predictions?

ol country boy
11-13-2006, 03:27 PM
There are better games in this region than this.

Bandera vs. La Vernia
Medina Valley vs. Devine
Zapata vs. La Feria

This game was played earlier in the year and was a blow out.

LH Panther Mom
11-13-2006, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by ol country boy

Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Maybe so, but it's neither here nor there to me. :)

JT44
11-13-2006, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by ol country boy

Bandera vs. La Vernia
Medina Valley vs. Devine
Zapata vs. La Feria

This game was played earlier in the year and was a blow out.

Why always question the gotw?
I dont mind giving the valley some love

44INAROW
11-13-2006, 03:49 PM
:bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry:

Anyone have the words to the song "Cry me a river?"

Ray_BearKat
11-13-2006, 04:53 PM
wow, i had no idea that this game was even nominated...

I'll be there on friday, and the last time we played the score really doesn't exemplify the entire game...until about the 3rd it was a 1 touchdown game and Raymondville really made a lot of mental mistakes in the 4th which lead to countless touchdowns in the 4th...not an excuse but I do hope the Kats perform better this time around. RH will be without its top running back Robbie Mesa...heard doctor will clear him on Saturday to prepare for the Cuero game in week 2.

And those of yall that are crying cause their are better games...think of it this way, we're getting this first round game cause most of yall expect us "Valley" teams to be out in 1 or 2 rounds anyways...

Boosty_Hondo
11-13-2006, 05:13 PM
im going with rio hondo on this one but i think this game will be closer than it was the first time

Gobbla2001
11-13-2006, 05:17 PM
One of the mods, picking a game from the VALLEY???

This throws a wrench in that whole conspiracy...

LH Panther Mom
11-13-2006, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Ray_BearKat
wow, i had no idea that this game was even nominated...
I didn't ask for suggestions for this round. I just decided. :)

Good luck to both teams - may there be no injuries!

Boosty_Hondo
11-13-2006, 05:18 PM

you should do that all the time because u are taking time out of your day to make the thread and do the research on the teams so u should get to pick

LH Panther Mom
11-13-2006, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Boosty_Hondo
you should do that all the time because u are taking time out of your day to make the thread and do the research on the teams so u should get to pick
Sometimes I do.....sometimes I ask for suggestions, then ignore them anyway. :devil: :devil: :devil: ;)

Boosty_Hondo
11-13-2006, 05:21 PM
Sometimes I do.....sometimes I ask for suggestions, then ignore them anyway. :devil: :devil: :devil: ;)

haha that is always fun to do make people waste there time thinking of a game and then dont use it muhahaha :devil: :devil: :devil:

Gobbla2001
11-13-2006, 05:26 PM
HEy, you know what would have been HALARIOUS LHPM??? If you had titled the thread:

Region IV GotW (Round 1): Raymondville vs Rio Hondo

but made the options:

Sinton

Cuero

bwahahahaha...

44INAROW
11-13-2006, 05:40 PM

it's all a part of that conspiracy, isn't it? :)

11TARPON
11-13-2006, 10:22 PM
I see a possible repeat of 1994. Cuero (highly ranked) gets ousted from play-off by Valley team. Rio Hondo has a solid team and will probably face Cuero in the second round.

Gobbler Fan
11-13-2006, 10:37 PM
Sorry but the rules have changed , you actually have to score more point's now .;)

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-13-2006, 11:05 PM
PFFT...

All we needed was 20 to show the 1994 Gobblers the exit....and a couple of extra penetrations helped too. :D

Old Tiger
11-14-2006, 02:26 PM
Rio Hondo

Gobbla2001
11-14-2006, 03:23 PM
What's the Region IV game of the week got to do with Cuero losing to Port Isabel in '94...

I just think you guys have to remind yourselves and everyone else of it every once in a while because that's the biggest thing that ever happened in PI history (besides spring break every year at SPI)... :D :p

Gobbla2001
11-14-2006, 03:25 PM
(oh, we didn't lose we tied, sorry)

And didn't Raymondville and Rio Hondo play a regular season game this year?

footballgal
11-14-2006, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
What's the Region IV game of the week got to do with Cuero losing to Port Isabel in '94...

I just think you guys have to remind yourselves and everyone else of it every once in a while because that's the biggest thing that ever happened in PI history (besides spring break every year at SPI)... :D :p No that's not the biggest thing, maybe one of the biggest things. :D Another good thing was the Rice vs PI game, the current winning streak, 1981-1983 and making the semis in '81 and '94 & '04. BTW, thanks Cuero, for Coach Stumbaugh, he sure is loved in PI land :) BTW, we didn't bring it up first it was a Sinton poster, we just rolled with it. :D

Gobbla2001
11-14-2006, 03:42 PM
11TARPON's from Sinton???

Coach Stumbaugh's awesome...

footballgal
11-14-2006, 03:53 PM
11TARPON's from Sinton???

Coach Stumbaugh's awesome...

Opps, you're right (went back and re-read thread, wrong thread) I was thinking about, the Sinton/Cuero thread.

Yeah Stump is awesome! He is so cool, plus he is one of those offensive minds geniuses. I am surprised, he is still in PI and not back in college coaching .

44INAROW
11-14-2006, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by footballgal
Another good thing was the Rice vs PI game,

I remember Gobbler Grad was at that game, calling me with updates - that must have been an awesome game.

Gobbla2001
11-14-2006, 04:11 PM
Opps, you're right (went back and re-read thread, wrong thread) I was thinking about, the Sinton/Cuero thread.

Yeah Stump is awesome! He is so cool, plus he is one of those offensive minds geniuses. I am surprised, he is still in PI and not back in college coaching .

I think his strategy could do very well in college, but I think he's just built to coach 14-18 year olds, he just has a way with 'em, a great coach...

footballgal
11-14-2006, 04:35 PM
Couldn't agree with you more, he's a big kid himself. :D Loves his wrestling.

Gobbla2001
11-14-2006, 04:39 PM
Couldn't agree with you more, he's a big kid himself. :D Loves his wrestling.

it's all in the elbow drops... the most effective ones I've ever seen come from that man's elbows...

Ray_BearKat
11-14-2006, 05:36 PM
I was looking at the playoff locations...is this the only 3A game being played at a home field? Everyone else seems to be playing in stadiums other than their own...

Gobbla2001
11-14-2006, 05:49 PM
I was looking at the playoff locations...is this the only 3A game being played at a home field? Everyone else seems to be playing in stadiums other than their own...

I think Medina Valley and Devine play AT Devine???

gobbler grad
11-14-2006, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by 11TARPON
I see a possible repeat of 1994. Cuero (highly ranked) gets ousted from play-off by Valley team. Rio Hondo has a solid team and will probably face Cuero in the second round.

anybody know where they could play next week...:thinking:

gobblerfan02
11-15-2006, 12:33 AM

Watch out everyone, this is turning into the LHPM Dictatorship!!!

SintonFan
11-15-2006, 12:39 AM
BTW, we didn't bring it up first it was a Sinton poster, we just rolled with it. :D
That's alright fbg. We get blamed for everything anyway.:( :D

footballgal
11-15-2006, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
That's alright fbg. We get blamed for everything anyway.:( :D :D Sorry!

footballgal
11-15-2006, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by gobbler grad
anybody know where they could play next week...:thinking: Coach Cavazos of RH seems to like to play at Boggus Stadium (Harlingen - 5A stadium) Raymondville I would venture to say that they could do the same, or at the new stadium in San Benito. But it would be interesting to see where they end up playing if it's a neutral site.

Gobbla2001
11-15-2006, 02:37 PM
The Cuero Record reports that the game would most likely be in the SA or CC area... dunno if they just pooped that one out of their brains or what...

In '98 Cuero and Raymondville met in CC... I remember that very well, their first year down in 3A from 4A... the coach said in an interview something along these lines "It feels good, we just dropped down from 4A, time to go in there and show them who the big dogs are"...

ha

35-6...

footballgal
11-15-2006, 03:21 PM
Ha! foot in mouth

Ray_BearKat
11-15-2006, 03:34 PM
lol, thats what coach hite said...:rolleyes:

isn't he at weslaco now, footballgal?

Cats Fan
11-15-2006, 03:47 PM
theres a rumor floating around that if Cuero does play Rio Hondo that it would be at the Alamodome in San Antonio.

footballgal
11-15-2006, 03:55 PM
lol, thats what coach hite said...:rolleyes:

isn't he at weslaco now, footballgal?
Oh Yeah, that's who that was, he was a very... what do you call him? Was in Weslaco or is he at Wesalco east now. I don't know but he was quite the character.

JT44
11-15-2006, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Cats Fan
theres a rumor floating around that if Cuero does play Rio Hondo that it would be at the Alamodome in San Antonio.
that's what I hear in Cuero, next weeks game may be at the dome, but we gotta get past sinton

44INAROW
11-16-2006, 12:29 AM

In '98 Cuero and Raymondville met in CC...

was that the year we played at Cannibas Field in CC?

big daddy russ
11-16-2006, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
Back in my wilder days, I used to dream of finding one of those fields. ;)

Old Tiger
11-16-2006, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Back in my wilder days, I used to dream of finding one of those fields. ;) Why not anymore?:confused:

Ray_BearKat
11-16-2006, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW

I can't remember which fields we played at that year at thats cause I was there :D

I know we played twice at Cannibas and once at Buccaneer Stadium...

Ray_BearKat
11-16-2006, 09:57 AM
The Rematch

The first time was for pride, this time it’s for survival

RAYMONDVILLE — Alex Leal knows the task at hand. The veteran coach has seen his share of big games, and Friday’s Class 3A Division II bi-district game against Rio Hondo at Burnett Stadium is no different.

To top it off, the young Bearkats (6-4) have already faced Rio Hondo during Week Four, a 42-7 Bobcat win.

“We played them (Rio Hondo) one time and we came out on the very short end of the stick,” said Leal, who returned to coaching this season after a brief retirement. “So it hasn’t been hard for us to get motivated. That part is OK.

“But the other thing is they (Rio Hondo) have a good ballclub and we’re gonna have to play our best (to win), no doubt.”

The winner of this game will face the Cuero-Sinton winner in the area round next week.

As for this week, Rio Hondo head coach Gus Cavazos said he expects everything his club can handle from the Bearkats this time around.

“I’m expecting a lot more physical ballgame and I would imagine a lot closer ballgame,” Cavazos said.

The Bearkats have had two weeks to prepare for the Bobcats after losing the district title at Zapata in Week Nine.

“The first time around, it was a real good game for two and a half quarters,” Leal said of the first meeting. “But we had a fumble that turned the whole thing around and then it was all over.”

Leading the way for Raymondville all season has been quarterback Carlo Dominguez, who combined for more than 2,000 yards through nine games (1,379 passing, 629 rushing). Plus, the senior has accounted for 28 touchdowns (16 passing, 12 rushing).

Cavazos said the Bobcats are well aware of what Dominguez can do.

“He’s a good athlete and he’s got a lot of ability. He’s very elusive,” Cavazos said. “We’re just gonna have to find a way to contain him.”

On the ground, Andrew Hernandez led District 31-3A in rushing with 716 yards and nine touchdowns through nine games.

Wideouts Eric Conde (22 catches, 416 yards, 2 TDs) and Jake Garcia (22-332 yards, five TDs) have proven to be dangerous targets in the Bearkat passing game as well.

Defensively, the Kats surrender 265 yards per outing and DL Tyson Delgado is a force on the Bearkats’ D-line.

On the other side, Raymondville’s tough draw in the first round, 9-1 Rio Hondo, comes into the postseason back on a high after thrashing La Feria 47-14 last week.

The week prior, the Cats fell to Port Isabel at home as the Tarpons claimed the 32-3A championship. To make matters worse, they lost 1,425-yard running back Robbie Mesa to an injury and he did not play last week against the Lions.

Cavazos said his close-knit team took the news of Mesa’s absence roughly, but they have maintained their level of play heading into the playoffs.

“It’s a big blow to us,” Cavazos said of Mesa’s injury. “But we’ve got some kids that are capable, and we’re very confident. We beat a great team last week.”

Against La Feria, standout quarterback Aaron Garza showed his athleticism and pinpoint accuracy through the air. Garza went 9-of-13 passing for 165 yards and three TDs, upping his totals to a league leading 924 yards passing and 11 scores. On the ground, he’s added another 868 yards and 17 scores.

Stepping up in Mesa’s absence was sophomore Jacob Martinez, who had 90 yards rushing against La Feria.

As most know, however, the Bobcats are not all offense. They boast the district’s top defense, allowing a paltry 186 yards per game.

Linebacker Eric Gantt and the rest of the crew have wreaked havoc on their opponents. Gantt notched 18 sacks during the regular season, while fellow linebacker Eric Jaime led Rio Hondo with 123.5 tackles.

Meanwhile, with the playoffs making a return to Raymondville for the first time since 1999, Leal said Willacy County is definitely abuzz.

“The community is very excited,” Leal said. “It’s been a while. But this is our first year here, but we’re learning and we’re gonna have a lot of kids back next year. But right now, we’re trying to take it one step at a time and see what develops.”

http://www.valleystar.com/content/articles/2006/11/16/sports/sports1.jpg
The Class 3A playoffs kick off Friday when former district foes Rio Hondo and Raymondville face off in the bi-district round. Rio Hondo, the runner-up in District 32-3A, is led by quarterback Aaron Garza.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-17-2006, 09:18 AM
Give me Rio Hondo in this one.

The bobcats did lose Robbie Mesa to injury but apparently haven't missed a beat with the Soph. backup RB. Hopefully Mesa can be back for the Cuero game because they'll need him.

Or is Mesa lost for the season?

footballgal
11-17-2006, 09:51 AM
No acutally, he is expected to play next week, if the Bobcats win tonight.

Ray_BearKat
11-17-2006, 07:04 PM
Good Luck to both teams but especially my Kats :D

Hope everyone has a safe and fun night at their respective games...

Ray_BearKat
11-17-2006, 11:06 PM
RH 38 Ray'ville 0

Congrats to the Cats, my Kats couldn't get nothing going on offense...good luck against Cuero next week, your gonna need it.:(

11TARPON
11-18-2006, 01:08 AM
I was surprised by the score. Playing for the second time and at home I expected a better performance from Ray. That just showes how weak District 31 is this year. They got swept by District 32.