PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Classics List of Best top 20 Teams to never get a title.

Phil C
11-12-2006, 01:00 PM
I saw this the other day and will give you there list. Overall they did a great job on the list. Remember though the list was made in 2005. No doubt had it been made a year later the 2005 USC Trojan football team that UT beat in the Rose Bowl would be at or near the top of this list. Here they are in reverse order.

20. 1972 USA Olympic Team. That was when the officials kept giving the Soviet team several chances in the last few seconds until they made the winning shot at the buzzer. This was indeed a robbery and controversial even today but it showed that the world was slowly catching up to us in basketball.

19. 2001 Seatle in Pro Baseball.

18. 1979-80 Philadelphia Flyers in pro hockey.

17. 1986 Miami College football team.

16. 1998-99 Duke in College Basketball

15. 1946 Army in College Football. Definitely belongs on the list and may have been a robbery. The 1946 Army team only had one tie with Notre Dame 0 - 0. Army had been national championships the prior years. In the game with Notre Dame, Army had actually outplayed ND and except for a shoe string tackle Army would have scored. But as Coach Royal once said "As long as Notre Dame or a Big Team is undefeated and untied there is no hope for the rest of us to get rated No. 1." Unfortunately that was the case that year and Army got cheated as the AP gave ND the national championship.

14. 1998 Oakland As in pro baseball.

13. 1998 Minnesota Vikings in pro football.

12. 1969 Baltimore in pro baseball. The Amazing Mets pulled a stunning upset in the world series.

11. 1954 Cleveland Indians

10. 1969 Penn State in College football. You should have chosen to go to the Cotton Bowl Nitany Lions and Coach Paterno.

09. 1974-75 Indiana college basketball team.

08. 1990 San Francisco in pro football.

07. 1983 Nebraska football team.

06. 1990 Bufalo Bills in pro football.

05. 1968 Baltimore Colts. Joe Namath and Jets pull big upset in the Super Bowl.

04. 1984-85 Georgetown college basketball.

03. 1982-83 Houston College Basketball team. They probably would have easily won a lot of other years but they lost to North Carolina at the buzzer. North Carolina at the time unknown to everyone had what many would later consider the greatest basketball player ever M.J.

02. 1990-91 University of Nevada at Las Vegas College Basketball team.

01. 1980 USSR Hockey Team at the winder olympics. This was a great team beaten by a young USA team at the olympics. A miracle. It would be like taking a group of 18 - 22 year old basketball players from a country such as Bolivia and beating the Miami Heat. I can't argue with No. 1 on this list.

A team that I thought should have been included was the 1964 Baltimore Colts. This team was considered by many as one of the best teams ever. It had a great defense and a great offense led by QB Johnny Unitas. It had the best winning record during the year at 12 - 2 in a tough western division conference with Green bay, Detroit, and Chicago. Cleveland had the great RB Jimmy Brown and QB Frank Ryan but their defense wasn't near the team that Baltimore's was. They barely won their division with a 10 - 3 - 1 in what was considered a weak conference.
Cleveland not only won which would have been a big upset but they did it by 27 to 0. They scored their points after a scoreless first half. The announcer said at halftime the first five minutes of the third quarter would be very important and that was when Cleveland got their first points. The Cleveland Defense surprised everyone by playing great and getting the shutout.
Frank Ryan the QB of Cleveland played great. What was funny was when he heard of the big signing bonus that Joe Namath got said "If he's worth $400,00 then I'm worth a million!" Not true evidently but a great quote anyway. :)

JR2004
11-12-2006, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Phil C

I'm going to guess you mean to type the 1988 Athletics and not the 1998 version. Gosh that loss to the Dodgers was tough. I'm an A's fan so winning the next season in the World Series against the Giants made it not feel quite so bad. I get a reminder though every day during baseball season of "The Time Since the Last Great Dodgers Moment" when I read Dodgerblues.com. (Very funny website for adult baseball fans to check out. They have a running clock that's down to the minute since Kirk Gibson hit that homer.) It sucks that my guys had to provide the Dodgers with that moment. :(

KTA
11-12-2006, 04:43 PM

What about the 94 Cowboys!!!!

AggiesAreWe
11-12-2006, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
I saw this the other day and will give you there list. Overall they did a great job on the list. Remember though the list was made in 2005. No doubt had it been made a year later the 2005 USC Trojan football team that UT beat in the Rose Bowl would be at or near the top of this list. Here they are in reverse order.

20. 1972 USA Olympic Team. That was when the officials kept giving the Soviet team several chances in the last few seconds until they made the winning shot at the buzzer. This was indeed a robbery and controversial even today but it showed that the world was slowly catching up to us in basketball.

19. 2001 Seatle in Pro Baseball.

18. 1979-80 Philadelphia Flyers in pro hockey.

17. 1986 Miami College football team.

16. 1998-99 Duke in College Basketball

15. 1946 Army in College Football. Definitely belongs on the list and may have been a robbery. The 1946 Army team only had one tie with Notre Dame 0 - 0. Army had been national championships the prior years. In the game with Notre Dame, Army had actually outplayed ND and except for a shoe string tackle Army would have scored. But as Coach Royal once said "As long as Notre Dame or a Big Team is undefeated and untied there is no hope for the rest of us to get rated No. 1." Unfortunately that was the case that year and Army got cheated as the AP gave ND the national championship.

13. 1998 Minnesota Vikings in pro football.

12. 1969 Baltimore in pro baseball. The Amazing Mets pulled a stunning upset in the world series.

11. 1954 Cleveland Indians

10. 1969 Penn State in College football. You should have chosen to go to the Cotton Bowl Nitany Lions and Coach Paterno.

09. 1974-75 Indiana college basketball team.

07. 1983 Nebraska football team.

06. 1990 Bufalo Bills in pro football.

05. 1968 Baltimore Colts. Joe Namath and Jets pull big upset in the Super Bowl.

04. 1984-85 Georgetown college basketball.

03. 1982-83 Houston College Basketball team. They probably would have easily won a lot of other years but they lost to North Carolina at the buzzer. North Carolina at the time unknown to everyone had what many would later consider the greatest basketball player ever M.J.

02. 1990-91 University of Nevada at Las Vegas College Basketball team.

01. 1980 USSR Hockey Team at the winder olympics. This was a great team beaten by a young USA team at the olympics. A miracle. It would be like taking a group of 18 - 22 year old basketball players from a country such as Bolivia and beating the Miami Heat. I can't argue with No. 1 on this list.

A team that I thought should have been included was the 1964 Baltimore Colts. This team was considered by many as one of the best teams ever. It had a great defense and a great offense led by QB Johnny Unitas. It had the best winning record during the year at 12 - 2 in a tough western division conference with Green bay, Detroit, and Chicago. Cleveland had the great RB Jimmy Brown and QB Frank Ryan but their defense wasn't near the team that Baltimore's was. They barely won their division with a 10 - 3 - 1 in what was considered a weak conference.
Cleveland not only won which would have been a big upset but they did it by 27 to 0. They scored their points after a scoreless first half. The announcer said at halftime the first five minutes of the third quarter would be very important and that was when Cleveland got their first points. The Cleveland Defense surprised everyone by playing great and getting the shutout.
Frank Ryan the QB of Cleveland played great. What was funny was when he heard of the big signing bonus that Joe Namath got said "If he's worth $400,00 then I'm worth a million!" Not true evidently but a great quote anyway. :)

#3 is wrong, at least the commentary part of it. University of Houston lost to North Carolina State that year, not North Carolina. NC State was coached by the late Jim Valvano, and yes they beat the Cougars on a last second dunk off of a " hail mary" attempt at a shot at the buzzer. Charles Jones made the dunk with an " assist " from Derrick Whitenburg.

Yes MJ played for North Carolina, but they did not play in that game.

Phil C
11-12-2006, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by AggiesAreWe
#3 is wrong, at least the commentary part of it. University of Houston lost to North Carolina State that year, not North Carolina. NC State was coached by the late Jim Valvano, and yes they beat the Cougars on a last second dunk off of a " hail mary" attempt at a shot at the buzzer. Charles Jones made the dunk with an " assist " from Derrick Whitenburg.

Yes MJ played for North Carolina, but they did not play in that game.

Thanks for the correction. Remember this is ESPN's opinion. As they say: "Let the debate begin."

I think 1964 Arkansas in football should have made this list. Remember the National Championship was decided based on the regular season. That year Arkansas had a perfect record including a 14 to 13 over the defending National Champions UT. But Alabama finished perfect and was voted No. 1. At the bowls UT beat Alabama in the Orange Bowl 21 to 17 while Arkansas finished perfect overall with a win over Nebraskas (I think 14 to 10) in the Cotton Bowl.