PDA

View Full Version : REALIGNMENT QUESTION

callandraise
10-18-2003, 08:56 AM
When the UIL makes their count in OCT for realignment do they count this years senior class or do they drop back and count 8th,9th,10th and 11th grades since these are the kids who be in school next year?

Adidas410s
10-18-2003, 08:52 PM
The number that is derived is using the kids that are currently enrolled in the high school, including the seniors that will graduate.

Here is the wording out of the UIL handbook:
Section 351: CONFERENCE BASED ON ENROLLMENT

ENROLLMENT. Participant schools and charter schools shall be assigned to a conference on the basis of enrollment on a date from the previous October. Schools will include all resident students including those in alternative settings. The formulas used to determine enrollment shall be:
Schools with four high school grades (9-12), and three year high schools (grades 10-12) which will receive incoming tenth graders from specific, identifiable feeder schools: Grades 9, 10, 11, 12 = Enrollment
Schools with only grades 10, 11, 12 when it cannot easily be determined which schools the ninth graders will attend as tenth graders:
Grades 10, 11, 12 x 1.33 = Enrollment

Just as a side note, the schools DO NOT know which day their enrollment number will be determined as well as what the cutoff will be so there is no way for them to "cheat the system." The UIL receives all of the enrollment numbers, decides how many schools they want in each conference, and then assign a school a category based on its statewide attendance rank. After they determine this they will then consider appeals by schools to be moved into a different conference. I just wanted to add this in because I am really tired of reading all of the moronic posts talking about how certain schools "know the number" and tell kids to stay home on a certain day. There is a little bit more that goes into determining the number than what is described above but I wont bother getting into because it involves averaging and can be confusing when you start talking about schools with only 3 grades in the HS (i.e Odessa/Midland/San Angelo schools). I hope that this answers your question!

callandraise
10-18-2003, 10:20 PM
That was an exceptionally good explanation.

Thank You
CALLANDRAISE

3afan
10-18-2003, 11:38 PM
Adidas410s:
The number that is derived is using the kids that are currently enrolled in the high school, including the seniors that will graduate.

Here is the wording out of the UIL handbook:
Section 351: CONFERENCE BASED ON ENROLLMENT

ENROLLMENT. Participant schools and charter schools shall be assigned to a conference on the basis of enrollment on a date from the previous October. Schools will include all resident students including those in alternative settings. The formulas used to determine enrollment shall be:
Schools with four high school grades (9-12), and three year high schools (grades 10-12) which will receive incoming tenth graders from specific, identifiable feeder schools: Grades 9, 10, 11, 12 = Enrollment
Schools with only grades 10, 11, 12 when it cannot easily be determined which schools the ninth graders will attend as tenth graders:
Grades 10, 11, 12 x 1.33 = Enrollment

Just as a side note, the schools DO NOT know which day their enrollment number will be determined as well as what the cutoff will be so there is no way for them to "cheat the system." The UIL receives all of the enrollment numbers, decides how many schools they want in each conference, and then assign a school a category based on its statewide attendance rank. After they determine this they will then consider appeals by schools to be moved into a different conference. I just wanted to add this in because I am really tired of reading all of the moronic posts talking about how certain schools "know the number" and tell kids to stay home on a certain day. There is a little bit more that goes into determining the number than what is described above but I wont bother getting into because it involves averaging and can be confusing when you start talking about schools with only 3 grades in the HS (i.e Odessa/Midland/San Angelo schools). I hope that this answers your question!.
THANK YOU !!!!!!!!