PDA

View Full Version : Wimberley wins Regional Volleyball Title

wimbo_pro
11-11-2006, 09:42 PM
For the 5th time in the last 8 years, the Lady Texans have made it to the final 4 in Volleyball with a win over a scrappy La Vernia team. It's been since 2003 that we have been there, which was the last time we won a title. We plan to change that this year!! Great work Ladies!!!

luvhoops34
11-11-2006, 10:08 PM
Congrats to the Wimberley girls. Last time I saw them play, they won state and prolly could have beat the 5A champs that year.

Poth won Reg IV-2A and is headed back to defend last years state championship.

wimbo_pro
11-11-2006, 10:17 PM
Yes Luhoops...Poth did win!! I was there, were you?

luvhoops34
11-11-2006, 10:52 PM
Nada, had to work.

gobbler grad
11-11-2006, 10:53 PM
congrats, but you got a few more...good luck...:D

wimbo_pro
11-11-2006, 11:06 PM
Oh yes gobbler...a few more very tough matches. But I am not even thinking about that tonight. All I am thinking about is how sweet it is to win the regionals again after losing it in the final game the last THREE YEARS IN A ROW! My oldest neice on the team is a senior, the youngest is a sophmore. This is big for us...and we wont let the fear of the competition bother us tonight ...maybe tomorrow....but not tonight!

crzyjournalist03
11-11-2006, 11:07 PM
congrats to wimberly! I was a big volleyball fan when I was in HS!

coach_in_red
11-11-2006, 11:56 PM
Seems like a few old faces will be back in Austin this next weekend with some 'big dogs' losing out at their regional tournament. State will be seeing some new faces and some from long ago. Good Luck to the final four in each class.

Antec
11-11-2006, 11:57 PM
Poth is just as good as Wimberely. They always have a lot of heigth

In the 80s they had sisters 6'5" if not taller

coach_in_red
11-12-2006, 12:01 AM
My sister played against the team that year with those TALL sisters.....it didn't help--they couldn't get past a tough--SHORT East Bernard team that year in state.

Antec
11-12-2006, 12:03 AM
Yep I was at that match and EB won

Gillinghams

Hedi played basketball at Vanderbilt

coach_in_red
11-12-2006, 12:06 AM
She did---
it was a great match.....everyone thought that POTH had the easy win over East Bernard that year....tradition was behind them and heart too. A lot like what POTH has these days....it is expected from everyone including the players to be at the state tournament in November.......
I wish POTH the best--I had a few friends who went through the program there in 95-97 *honor team members for this year!!!

Antec
11-12-2006, 12:09 AM
It was a shock that Round Top Carmine lost to Woodsboro last Tuesday in Boling in a 5 game match

coach_in_red
11-12-2006, 09:49 AM
RTC had been up and down since winning against Winthorst early on......RTC still had a nice team and I won't take anything from them, but I think we all get comfortable with seeing the same teams in Austin----
I know it was hard back in the day when EB went every year and then it just came to an end----it happens. Kids change, coaches change, and we all know the GAME has changed.......

luvhoops34
11-12-2006, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Antec
Yep I was at that match and EB won

Gillinghams

Hedi played basketball at Vanderbilt

Heidi taught my daughter swimming lessons one summer. She had to get down on her knees in the shallow end of the pool bc she was so tall.

Heidi's sister, Gwendolyn, played basketabll at the University of Virginia. She was taller than Heidi. I think Heidi was 6'7" and Gwendoly was 6'8".

wimbo_pro
11-12-2006, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by coach_in_red
Seems like a few old faces will be back in Austin this next weekend with some 'big dogs' losing out at their regional tournament. State will be seeing some new faces and some from long ago. Good Luck to the final four in each class.

They wont be in Austin, they'll be in San Marcos, which is only 12 miles from our school!

luvhoops34
11-12-2006, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
They wont be in Austin, they'll be in San Marcos, which is only 12 miles from our school!

It's so much nicer having the tournament in San Marcos. The venue at Texas State, just has a state championship feel.

luvhoops34
11-12-2006, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by coach_in_red
She did---
it was a great match.....everyone thought that POTH had the easy win over East Bernard that year....tradition was behind them and heart too. A lot like what POTH has these days....it is expected from everyone including the players to be at the state tournament in November.......
I wish POTH the best--I had a few friends who went through the program there in 95-97 *honor team members for this year!!!

Quite a few of those girls on the 95, 96, and 97 teams had younger sisters who played volleyball for Poth, also. Some of the younger sisters played on the last two state championship teams. If we win this year it will be the third consecutive year in a row for us to win the 2A state championship.

pirate4state
11-12-2006, 12:16 PM
Good Luck Wimberley!!! :clap:

It sucks that the state game is on a Wednesday. :( I would have loved to go watch.

justlikesports
11-12-2006, 01:41 PM
State Tourney is Thursday, Friday and Saturday. 2A and 4A semis are Thursday with 1A,3A, and 5A's on Friday. All finals are Saturday, starting with 1A at 9am, then 2a at 11am, 3a at 1pm, 4a at 3pm and finishing with 5a at 5pm. Good Luck to all the teams and everyone attending travel safely.

pirate4state
11-12-2006, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by justlikesports
State Tourney is Thursday, Friday and Saturday. 2A and 4A semis are Thursday with 1A,3A, and 5A's on Friday. All finals are Saturday, starting with 1A at 9am, then 2a at 11am, 3a at 1pm, 4a at 3pm and finishing with 5a at 5pm. Good Luck to all the teams and everyone attending travel safely. Really? I must have been half asleep when looking at the brackets!! LMAO!! All day Saturday? :thinking: hmmmmm.....