11-11-2006, 09:42 PM
Columbus started tearing down home side of stands in stadium today

When finished home side will seat 2,600

Will put in new press box, with of course mandatory elevator

School is spending big bucks to renovate

Will be ready by next August.

Gobbla2001
11-11-2006, 09:43 PM
What are they doing with the Visitors side?

mac77
11-11-2006, 09:48 PM
Vistors side has already been redone. I understand the rennovations are courtesy of a donor. If they do the home side like the vistors it'll be nice!

Gobbla2001
11-11-2006, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by mac77
Vistors side has already been redone. I understand the rennovations are courtesy of a donor. If they do the home side like the vistors it'll be nice!

The visitor side donor was most-likely from a visiting team... I'da done it...

no, in all seriousness, congrats on a new stadium Columbus, I always enjoyed playing there...

carter08
11-11-2006, 09:50 PM
Columbia needs to redo the home stands

mac77
11-11-2006, 10:10 PM
Step up Carter and pull out that pocket book!

carter08
11-11-2006, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by mac77
Step up Carter and pull out that pocket book!

Yea
That would probably buy a few nails

KennedaleFaN
11-11-2006, 10:46 PM
kennedale needs a new stadium ....

gobbler grad
11-11-2006, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by carter08

i'm sure it will be state of the art...:)

CheerMom
11-11-2006, 10:58 PM
I know ours could use a major facelift.

18handicap
11-11-2006, 11:57 PM
West Columbia had a chance last week to approve bond issue to renovate the stadium and add field turf, but it was voted down. Way to go CBISD voters!! You had a chance to make the place nice, but you couldn't do it. You should be ashamed of the facilities that your kids play sports in. Maybe it's about time that Brazoria and WC split and stop the bickering between the two towns.

Antec
11-12-2006, 12:08 AM
Bay City turned it down in vote a few years ago after a separate bond election after high school was bilt

For some reason Visitors sit on press box side.

Its in bad shape

Pudlugger
11-12-2006, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by 18handicap
West Columbia had a chance last week to approve bond issue to renovate the stadium and add field turf, but it was voted down. Way to go CBISD voters!! You had a chance to make the place nice, but you couldn't do it. You should be ashamed of the facilities that your kids play sports in. Maybe it's about time that Brazoria and WC split and stop the bickering between the two towns.

Maybe the schools should charge an extra couple of bucks for the games and put the money into a trust to maintain and upgrade the facilities over the years instead of always laying the cost off on the homeowners and spending the receipts from the gate for every other pet program!
Heaven forbid this great industry of Texas High School Football should be run like any other successful business instead of a revenue generator bled dry for the school districts. Oh I'm sorry," it's for the children" so poor management is excused.

Gobbla2001
11-12-2006, 12:31 AM
West Columbia had a chance last week to approve bond issue to renovate the stadium and add field turf, but it was voted down. Way to go CBISD voters!! You had a chance to make the place nice, but you couldn't do it.

yah, I drove by it once... I wouldn't even take my dog there to take a crap it's so bad....

I kid I kid...

Pudlugger
11-12-2006, 12:37 AM
If managed correctly a good program should be able to amortize a new facility every 40 years without taxpayer funds. If your community doesn't want to float bonds and burden themselves with ever more taxes look for alternative ways to fund this great revenue generating engine called Texas High School Football. Commercialize football? Can't have that, but let's not keep sticking it to the homeowners for the costs and look for alternative sources of revenue.
Meanwhile, a great opportunity to open new resources of funds goes to the wayside. Remember the 1984 Olympics in Los Angeles? Peter Uberoth revolutionized the funding of the Olympics through private sponsorship and marketing. There also are many private giving instruments like living trusts, wills etc. where people can donate to charitable school stadium funds and benefit on their taxes. Churches do a lot of this sort of thing very well.This sort of approach should be applied to local programs that enjoy almost universal support from the citizenry like hs football in Texas.

Gobbla2001
11-12-2006, 12:51 AM
You can easily get a new stadium

get everyone who knows how to bbq half-way decent, someone who can make okay potato salad, someone who can make some decent beans, a person who can cut onions, someone who can open up a pickle jar and someone who can pour some KC into those little 5 oz cups and say someone needs to cover their medical expences because they suffer from turf-toe...

LogieJoeBean001
11-12-2006, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by carter08

It's definitely one of the hardest fields for the boys to play on. It's not easy for an o-line to set and remain still when they are getting eaten up by fire ants!!

scrub c
11-12-2006, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by LogieJoeBean001
It's definitely one of the hardest fields for the boys to play on. It's not easy for an o-line to set and remain still when they are getting eaten up by fire ants!!

lol, no beenie, you have mistaken our pasture for stafford's.
ask any of the kids... NOTHING lives on our field. Neither ants nor GRASS for that matter... But I will say this for our field, it must be hard for visitors to play at, cause we dont lose many at home.

and yes, our home side stands need an upgrade BAD.
the part you sit your rear on is aluminum but everything else is wood. Visitors stands are 100% aluminum... go figure.

I personally say who gives a poop about the visitors, they can sit in the mud for all I care...

LogieJoeBean001
11-12-2006, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by scrub c
lol, no beenie, you have mistaken our pasture for stafford's.
ask any of the kids... NOTHING lives on our field. Neither ants not GRASS for that matter... But I will say this for our field, it must be hard for visitors to play at, cause we dont lose many at home.

and yes, our home side stands need an upgrade BAD.
the part you sit your rear on is aluminum but everything else is wood. Visitors stands are 100% aluminum... go figure.

I personally say who gives a poop about the visitors, they can sit in the mud for all I care...

Yes, you are right scrub...I extend my apologies to all of Columbia for my error!! I hope you accept my apology. I do not want to make that kind of mistake...

Now, think we can set up a fund for Stafford to buy several drums of Ant-Be-Gone!

Antec
11-12-2006, 10:25 AM
Sources say El Campo will be adding field turf in the near future

The Rig At Pearland, where El Campo will play on Thursday, is one of the best in The Greater Houston area

BrahmaDAD70
11-12-2006, 10:39 AM

I traveled to WC earler this year and did'nt find the Vis side to
be poor shape. I've been to many fields within past few years
and all are about the same. No offense CheerMom but Rice's
Vis side faces direct into the sunlight and of course its 100 degrees w/ 100 percent humidity. Must be some kind of
tactic to keep the opp. side quiet and blind. Worked for me.
Im sorry that Rice is not in our district but My eyes are
still healing from the last Rice trip.

BrahmaDAD70
11-12-2006, 10:43 AM
Yes, you are right scrub...I extend my apologies to all of Columbia for my error!! I hope you accept my apology. I do not want to make that kind of mistake...

Now, think we can set up a fund for Stafford to buy several drums of Ant-Be-Gone!

LMAO

Specklebelly
11-12-2006, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by BrahmaDAD70
No offense CheerMom but Rice's Vis side faces direct into the sunlight

Im not sure what stadium you are confusing with Rice but the above statement couldn't be further from the truth. Our visitor's stands face east and we don't play football games at 7:30 am. The sun was not in your eyes at our field unless you sat on the home side.

BrahmaDAD70
11-12-2006, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Specklebelly
Im not sure what stadium you are confusing with Rice but the above statement couldn't be further from the truth. Our visitor's stands face east and we don't play football games at 7:30 am. The sun was not in your eyes at our field unless you sat on the home side.

Same Stadium Wrong side
Mia Culpa
You are right. My Bad.
I remember now I did sit on the Home side and my son
is a underclassman and has been playing at 5 pm
and 6:30 before the DST.
SORRY

Bull19
11-12-2006, 12:44 PM
COLUMBUS SHOULDNT MAKE THAT HOME SIDE TO BIG. I WAS THERE WHEN THEY PLAYED NEEDVILLE AND THEY WERE LUCKY IF THEY HAD 200 PEOPLE IN THEIR STANDS. I THINK MORE PEOPLE GO TO PEE WEE GAMES

scrub c
11-12-2006, 01:05 PM
West Columbia had a chance last week to approve bond issue to renovate the stadium and add field turf, but it was voted down. Way to go CBISD voters!!

yup...

why did it fail? Neither Brazoria nor WC wanted to spend twenty something million on a elementary in wildpeach... I think both communities would rather have bigger elementaries their town and split wildpeach half to WC 1/2 to brazoria...
and since it was an all or none ballot including the athletic upgrades, it all went down.

you're correct though, too bad for cbisd kiddos

Specklebelly
11-12-2006, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Bull19
COLUMBUS SHOULDNT MAKE THAT HOME SIDE TO BIG. I WAS THERE WHEN THEY PLAYED NEEDVILLE AND THEY WERE LUCKY IF THEY HAD 200 PEOPLE IN THEIR STANDS. I THINK MORE PEOPLE GO TO PEE WEE GAMES

You're completely right, they don't need bleachers that big. Anyone with common sense could see that. You have to realize though that you have to throw your common sense out the window when you enter the Columbus city limits.

Bull19
11-12-2006, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Specklebelly
You have to realize though that you have to throw your common sense out the window when you enter the Columbus city limits.

VERY WELL PUT:thumbsup: