PDA

View Full Version : Sweeny v La Grange DII Round 1

Pudlugger
11-11-2006, 01:39 PM
Sweeny has won 8 straight and is red hot going into the playoffs as d24 champs. The Leps are 8-2 with losses to #2 Giddings and #11 Bellville in d23, one of the toughest districts in 3a. This will be a tough match-up with teams pretty equal in talent. Which team will step up to advance to round two?

Antec
11-11-2006, 04:34 PM
Believe this game will be played at Strake Jesuit in Houston

Pudlugger
11-11-2006, 11:51 PM
Friday night 7:30 Strake Jesuit

scrub c
11-12-2006, 09:06 AM
Sweeny wins.

Sweeny wins BIG if you turn the ball over.

sabre1
11-12-2006, 09:12 AM
I have seen Sweeny, and they are good. Don't know if the Leps can hang.

Pudlugger
11-12-2006, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by sabre1
I have seen Sweeny, and they are good. Don't know if the Leps can hang.

Did you see the Leps play Giddings? They came within a possession of beating the Buffs and you don't know they can "hang" with Sweeny? If the Leps play their A game they should win. If they don't Sweeny will roll. No room for error in the playoffs especially when evenly matched teams like these two meet in the first round.

gobbler grad
11-12-2006, 10:35 AM
LaGrange in a close one...Ball control could be key issue...the Leps have much improved throughout the season...will be a good game, so don't miss it...:thinking:

Darren
11-12-2006, 12:26 PM
Lets go La Grange. Represent the district well.

Keep going until Giddings and La Grange met again.

Pudlugger
11-12-2006, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Darren

That would be awesome, but for the Leps there are some steep steps to climb. Right now Sweeny is number one.

Pudlugger
11-12-2006, 10:36 PM
ttt

3afan
11-13-2006, 08:01 AM
GO LEPS !!!

LaGrange wins a close one !!!

pancho villa
11-13-2006, 08:52 AM
Sweeny 17-14 just cause they have Uncle Buck.

cdlvj
11-13-2006, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Darren

They would have to beat Liberty Hill to get to Giddings, no small feat.

IHStangFan
11-13-2006, 10:06 AM
I'm gonna take Sweeny, they came out of a pretty tough district as the champs.

Pudlugger
11-13-2006, 10:10 AM
The Leps will need to get their offense going again to beat Sweeny. The Lep D will do their job but the O must put up some big points. The Strake field is artificial turfgrass and should be a fast surface. Callis didn't play much last week, only kicked and some D late in the game. The Coach probably wanted to give his hamstrings a little more rest after the cramping the week before. #12 Amos mlb was suited up but I didn't see him go in on D. He should be ready to play Friday and that will help the defense especially against the run. On offense I would expect the Leps to throw the ball more early on to open the running game up. Good luck Leps! Keep winning!:D

g$$
11-13-2006, 03:38 PM
Sweeny wins a close one, say 24-17 Final.

LG comes out of a tough district, but Sweeny won a tough district unbeaten too. Coach Walker has done some good things since he came from Ennis at LG. Now it's playoff time.

Coach Zajicek has restored the Pride in Sweeny & made the playoffs both years since his return. The man wins around 70% of his games for a reason (109-45-7). They will be ready.

Sweeny has a pretty big O-line & Coach Scarborough does a great job with them. He's one of the best around. Coach Stewart leads a fast defense. Good skill kids, steady qb, & maybe the best player in the district in Tank Carder #14. Kid is legit, plays both ways, & does all the kicking. He is a weapon & plays hard all the time. Sweeny does NOT beat WC or Wharton without him.

Good luck to all...

big daddy russ
11-13-2006, 04:09 PM
I haven't seen Sweeny, but I'm high on LaGrange. One of my postseason sleepers.

LG makes it though Sweeny, Coldspring (two tough games) before squaring off against Liberty Hill.

g$$
11-13-2006, 04:15 PM
Always respect your opinion Russ, but I sure hope you are wrong on this one! Should be a tough game.

Gotta go with Sweeny in a close one. LG will battle no doubt.

big daddy russ
11-13-2006, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Always respect your opinion Russ, but I sure hope you are wrong on this one! Should be a tough game.

Gotta go with Sweeny in a close one. LG will battle no doubt.
They're tough. They blew the doors off a couple of 3A playoff teams before losing a tight one to Giddings. Also played Bellville tough, and IMHO those are easily two of the ten best teams in Texas. I have Giddings winning R3, D2 and Bellville going to the R3, D1 Quarterfinals.

Like I said, though, R3 will be extremely tough this year. Sweeny looks solid, and Coldspring has an alright squad, too.

g$$
11-13-2006, 04:27 PM
Solid picks all.

Playoff time is great. Gotta play the games now...

nexfan
11-13-2006, 05:12 PM
I have Giddings winning R3, D2 and Bellville going to the R3, D1 Quarterfinals.

][/QUOTE]

Isnt Bellville already in the region 3 division 1 Quarterfinals? Does that mean you have them losing to Columbia in the first round?

DaHop72
11-13-2006, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by nexfan
I have Giddings winning R3, D2 and Bellville going to the R3, D1 Quarterfinals.

]

Isnt Bellville already in the region 3 division 1 Quarterfinals? Does that mean you have them losing to Columbia in the first round? [/QUOTE] Maybe you need to look at this bracket.
http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54141

Boosty_Hondo
11-13-2006, 05:20 PM
im pullin for La Grange in this one

Gobbla2001
11-13-2006, 05:43 PM
Haven't seen Sweeny this year, but they did impress me last year with a lot of quality underclassmen... those guys are older now with more experience and this is a VERY dangerous game...

All we need to do is look at how close La Grange played two of the top teams in the state to know they're no pushover... I saw these guys scrimmage Cuero and though they're not gunna blow people out by scoring 50 points, they're gunna smother the hell out of you with a great defense...

I'm going with La Grange because I'm on the backer-list (until/if they meet Cuero)...

No injuries and stuff folks... have fun watching this game...

nexfan
11-13-2006, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by DaHop72
Isnt Bellville already in the region 3 division 1 Quarterfinals? Does that mean you have them losing to Columbia in the first round? Maybe you need to look at this bracket.
http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54141 [/B][/QUOTE]

That bracket pretty much solidifies the fact that Bellville is in the Region 3 division 1 quarterfinals!! If they win they will be in the region 3 division 1 semi-finals and if they win that game they will be in the region 3 division 1 final!! Tough math!!

Pudlugger
11-13-2006, 06:43 PM
Maybe you need to look at this bracket.
http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=54141

That bracket pretty much solidifies the fact that Bellville is in the Region 3 division 1 quarterfinals!! If they win they will be in the region 3 division 1 semi-finals and if they win that game they will be in the region 3 division 1 final!! Tough math!!

A simple misunderstanding here. By Quarterfinals he means the state quarterfinals when there are 8 teams left in the tourney. So that would be round 3 in DI when there are only 2 teams left in each region. Got it?

:)

Pudlugger
11-13-2006, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Haven't seen Sweeny this year, but they did impress me last year with a lot of quality underclassmen... those guys are older now with more experience and this is a VERY dangerous game...

All we need to do is look at how close La Grange played two of the top teams in the state to know they're no pushover... I saw these guys scrimmage Cuero and though they're not gunna blow people out by scoring 50 points, they're gunna smother the hell out of you with a great defense...

I'm going with La Grange because I'm on the backer-list (until/if they meet Cuero)...

No injuries and stuff folks... have fun watching this game...

Thanks Gobbla for backin' us up here. The Leps are strongest on defense. They
are particularly good at stopping the run. Sweeny has an outstanding rb in Tank Carder and it will be up to the D to keep the Bulldogs from running up big points. If the Leps keep Sweeny under 21 points then they should win this one.

Gobbla2001
11-13-2006, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
Thanks Gobbla for backin' us up here. The Leps are strongest on defense. They
are particularly good at stopping the run. Sweeny has an outstanding rb in Tank Carder and it will be up to the D to keep the Bulldogs from running up big points. If the Leps keep Sweeny under 21 points then they should win this one.

so are you gunna be on the Cuero backer-list until maybe the semi's? ;)

Pudlugger
11-13-2006, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
so are you gunna be on the Cuero backer-list until maybe the semi's? ;)

You bet! Always have been a Cuero fan ever since they showed up with cheerleaders and noisemakers to a La Grange Saturday scrimmage! That's fan support, and I like it!
I missed the Lep/Gobbler scrimmage this year but heard that we did pretty well. This team has 29 seniors all of whom have played against top teams in Cuero, Giddings, Cameron and Hutto since their sophomore year so they are a seasoned bunch. I think they will surprise folks Friday. Hope I'm right.:D

nexfan
11-13-2006, 07:16 PM
You bet! Always have been a Cuero fan ever since they showed up with cheerleaders and noisemakers to a La Grange Saturday scrimmage! That's fan support, and I like it!
I missed the Lep/Gobbler scrimmage this year but heard that we did pretty well. This team has 29 seniors all of whom have played against top teams in Cuero, Giddings, Cameron and Hutto since their sophomore year so they are a seasoned bunch. I think they will surprise folks Friday. Hope I'm right.:D

I dont think it will be that big of a surprise if La Grange wins!! Not bashing Sweeny but I dont think there as cracked up as everybody makes em out to be. They won an 8 team district, albeit not that daunting of a feat. Sweeny, Columbia and Wharton were pretty much the only three teams that are playoff caliber. (Some would say Needville is but I was never on that bandwagon.) Sweeny beat the roughnecks by 3 at home and they beat Wharton in OT! Other than that they beat the cellar dwellars of the district and I think Sante Fe. La Grange played a tougher schedule and shouldnt be to weary of the Bulldogs... all that being said is why I dont see any La Grange win being called an upset!!

tigerpride_08
11-13-2006, 07:47 PM
i think sweeny pulls it out in a close one...

nexfan
11-13-2006, 08:05 PM
Sweeny's opponents record = 32-68

La Grange's opponents record = 50-50

Pudlugger
11-13-2006, 08:28 PM
Sweeny's opponents record = 32-68

La Grange's opponents record = 50-50

Five of the Leps opponents are in the playoffs: Yoakum; Gonzales; Luling; Giddings; Bellville

Caldwell went 5-5 losing only to Robinson, Hutto, La Grange, Giddings and Bellville. Robinson would have won several districts outright had they not been in 23a.

Some interesting stats from Massey Rating as of Nov 3:

Sweeny:
Overall Ranking 56th
Defense 92nd
Offense 28th
Strength of Schedule 98th

La Grange:
Overall Ranking 23rd
Defense 11th
Offense 58th
Strength of Schedule 39th

nexfan
11-13-2006, 09:54 PM
Sweeny lost to two 4A teams that were each 2-8. (Brazosport and Sante Fe) Brazosport's other win was against Sante Fe. There only non district win was against 2A Van Vleck who was 1-9. Van Vleck's lone win was against a team who just snapped the longest district losing streak in the state. They also beat.......
Brookshire Royal 2-8
Stafford 2-8
Sealy 2-8
Columbus 2-8
Needville 7-3
Columbia 6-4
Wharton 6-4

wannabgobbler08
11-13-2006, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by gobbler grad
LaGrange in a close one...Ball control could be key issue...the Leps have much improved throughout the season...will be a good game, so don't miss it...:thinking:

I agree... La Grange has improved a lot!

g$$
11-14-2006, 02:15 AM
Sweeny lost to two 4A teams that were each 2-8. (Brazosport and Sante Fe) Brazosport's other win was against Sante Fe. There only non district win was against 2A Van Vleck who was 1-9. Van Vleck's lone win was against a team who just snapped the longest district losing streak in the state. They also beat.......
Brookshire Royal 2-8
Stafford 2-8
Sealy 2-8
Columbus 2-8
Needville 7-3
Columbia 6-4
Wharton 6-4

All of that is nice, but that & 2 quarters will get you a cup of coffee too! Remember, Sweeny's QB got hurt in the 1st game & did not return until the 3rd game. Sweeny lost 2 close games (1 in OT) without him. They have not lost since either.

Playoffs are a whole new season. Teams improve & make changes during the season. And winning an 8 team district is not too shabby IMO. There were 4 playoff caliber teams in that district, & 4 not so good teams.

Tank Carder is a 2 way player, not just a FB, & does all the kicking too. He's the ringleader on defense at LB. Smith is the leading rusher for Sweeny. Sweeny will be ready I promise you that. Should be a good game. LG will come ready to play as well.

Dogs in a close one... 24-17 Final.

LogieJoeBean001
11-14-2006, 06:10 AM
Brookshire Royal 2-8
Stafford 2-8
Sealy 2-8
Columbus 2-8
Needville 7-3
Columbia 6-4
Wharton 6-4

Correction, Wharton 7-3, losses to Barbers Hill, El Campo and Sweeny. Sorry, just needed to set the record straight.

3afan
11-14-2006, 07:36 AM
no question, Leps move on to round 2 ........

Pudlugger
11-14-2006, 11:18 AM
Voting results thus far 26 Sweeny 19 La Grange. Looks like the Leps are the underdogs at this point. Being third in district 23 might have fooled some folks into thinking the Leps are soft. This is a salty team with 29 seniors who have played against the best in the state since they were sophomores. They will come prepared.

pancho villa
11-14-2006, 12:06 PM
Be careful Uncle Buck. I use to coach O-line with one of the LaGrange coaches and taught him everything I know about holding.

Pudlugger
11-14-2006, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by pancho villa
Be careful Uncle Buck. I use to coach O-line with one of the LaGrange coaches and taught him everything I know about holding.

I hope you taught him how to not get caught! LOL :D

Old Tiger
11-14-2006, 02:47 PM
La Grange

g$$
11-14-2006, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by pancho villa

Funny stuff Pancho! Good luck to the Necks too.

scrub c
11-14-2006, 07:47 PM
Dogs win...

good luck sweeny(dont need it) but beat the heck out of em.

Pudlugger
11-15-2006, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by scrub c
Dogs win...

good luck sweeny(dont need it) but beat the heck out of em.

Well not even Giddings or Bellville could "beat the heck" out of the Leps so Sweeny must be dang good.

Go Leps!!! Get some!!!:D

g$$
11-15-2006, 07:46 PM
Showing the way

By Joel Luna
The Facts

Published November 14, 2006

SWEENY — Battle tested and anxious to start the postseason, the Sweeny Bulldogs are full of role models and leaders.

In all, 15 seniors have contributed as the Bulldogs enjoyed an unbeaten run to the top of the District 24-3A standings. The Bulldogs (8-2) clinched their first district championship since 2000 and the first unbeaten title since 1995.

“This is the first time that I can remember where I have a group of seniors where each one plays a key position on our football team,” Sweeny coach Tommy Zajicek said. “It is because of these players helping lead our team into every Friday night that helped us achieve our goals this year.”

Sweeny claimed the title after a weather-delayed 28-7 win at Columbus on Friday night.

After an 0-2 start — with losses to Class 4A schools Santa Fe and Brazosport — the Bulldogs hung in hoping things might turn around for them.

“We just stayed in line and kept our heads up,” offensive/defensive tackle J.B. Gutierrez said. “We kept pushing and just got better every week.”

The Bulldogs defeated Columbia 17-14 in the first district game of the year and followed that with a 19-6 win over Needville. Eventually they went on to upend Wharton 33-32 in overtime, in what many have called the game of the year in district play.

“There were a lot of teams that underestimated us and didn’t expect us to do much this year, but I think we surprised everybody,” fullback/ defensive tackle Josh Fields said.

At the end of the regular season, the Bulldogs had rattled off eight consecutive victories.

Though there are many reasons the Bulldogs turned themselves around after the slow start, Brandon Smith played a big part. The 5-foot-9 tailback rushed for 1,332 yards behind the likes of fellow seniors Gutierrez (6-0, 295), Colbie Lowric (6-3, 275) and tight end Jason Higgins (6-5, 210).

“My line just puts up some great blocks and all I had to do was just follow behind them,” Smith said.

“We couldn’t take anyone lightly this year, and just tried playing everyone hard.”

Another key contributor during the season was Tra’Micah Young, a speedy wideout, defensive back and return man. Young kept defenses honest with his ability to go for the long ball. On defense, he covered some tough wide receivers and came up with some defensive gems.

“It was good to have team work with a lot of fight and a lot of heart,” Young said. “For this team, team work has taken it a long way and heart has taken us a long way.”

Tank Carder came up big against Wharton.

In a sterling performance by both teams, the Bulldogs stood out at the end thanks in part to Carder’s leg. The second-team, all-state kicker from last season booted a 42-yard tying field goal with five seconds remaining in the fourth quarter. Then the fullback, linebacker, punter and kicker added an extra point in overtime to assure the Bulldogs of a playoff spot with two games remaining.

“It feels good to come in as the class after 11 years and go unbeaten in district,” Carder said. “All we tried to do is lead the underclassmen the right way by letting them finish.”

Sweeny opens the postseason Friday with La Grange.

“I think all the seniors, they took the role and responsibility of this football team and they spiffed it up,” Lowric said. “They’ve helped all the underclassmen and continued to play football at the same time.”

Other seniors on this year’s Sweeny squad are Paul Brunner, Marquise Flores, James Spriggs, Lucas Andrews, Marlon Smith, Rob Woodard, Chris Thompson and Chris Becerra.

Sweeny and La Grange will tangle at 7:30 p.m. Friday at Strake Jesuit in a Class 3A, Division II bi-district matchup.

g$$
11-15-2006, 07:49 PM
LG fans: Please tell me more about your team. Team strengths/weaknesses, offense/defense, key players, kicking game, who to watch, key injuries, experience, etc.

Just hoping to know more before game time Friday as a fan.

Thanks.

Pudlugger
11-15-2006, 07:51 PM
A very good write up and a great bunch of kids. It is going to be a terrific game Friday. Go Leps. Beat the Bulldogs!!!:D

Pudlugger
11-15-2006, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by g$$
LG fans: Please tell me more about your team. Team strengths/weaknesses, offense/defense, key players, kicking game, who to watch, key injuries, experience, etc.

Just hoping to know more before game time Friday as a fan.

Thanks.

I posted on the districts thread a while back about Tank Carder, what type of runner is he, physical, fast and shifty, physical and shifty etc. Nobody responded. I'll tell you what you want to know, but first answer me this: describe Tank Carder's running style. Thanks. Pud

wedo
11-15-2006, 08:03 PM
I say Sweeny wins by 1 point with 2 seconds left on a Tank Carder 70 yard field goal ;)

g$$
11-15-2006, 08:15 PM
I posted on the districts thread a while back about Tank Carder, what type of runner is he, physical, fast and shifty, physical and shifty etc. Nobody responded. I'll tell you what you want to know, but first answer me this: describe Tank Carder's running style. Thanks. Pud

Sure thing. Ricky "Tank" Carder is all-out in everything he does. There is no 1/2 way with him. Heck of an athlete in football, basketball, & baseball (all county & all district in each, all state in football as junior). Plays FB, LB, K, & P for Sweeny. Occasionally TE & QB too, some would say drives the bus as well!! Being recruited by many D1 schools as an ATH/LB currently. He is fun to watch, high motor sideline to sideline & loves to hit people in the mouth. Punishing, physical runner w/ 4.6 speed. He loves contact. 6'3" 205 lbs. Great kid, know him well. (Josh Fields will also get some time at FB as both go both ways. Another thumper but Tank is faster.)

Brandon Smith is the shifty runner & leading rusher. QB Marsh Zajicek is very steady, not the flashy type (son of coach). Receiving corps is decent. O-line is pretty big. Defense is fast & aggressive. Kicking game is big weapon for Sweeny w/ Carder.

Multiple on offense, will throw it some. QB is still not 100% from injury. They will go I, split backs, pro, slot, twins, etc. Sweeny wants to run the football but can pass it enough to keep you honest.

Coach Zajicek in Sweeny has brought the program back after a down few years when he was in administration. Overall coaching record is 109-45-7 (around 70%). He & staff do a great job & we are lucky to have him back. Hope that helps. Your turn...

(Pud: I responded to you in our discussion on the other thread for Columbia / Bellville. Check it out).

Pudlugger
11-15-2006, 08:55 PM
Great synopsis. The Leps are a very seasoned team with 29 seniors. The Leps are strong on defense, ranked 8th in state by Massey. They have a very big and physical o line averaging 250 +. They run the no huddle spread offense. The qb Woods is a senior having started since his sophomore year. He has a strong arm and is dangerous on the qb draw. The rb Hunter Callis is also the kicker coincidently. He has about 900 yards rushing in the season. He sat out last week's game except for kicking and a little d in the 4th 'cause of some hamstring cramps he had from smithville when he burst a 98 yard td run. He is 180 lb 6' very explosive running back at #22. #27 Janca a senior 170 lb rb alternates with Callis and has a more powerful head down into the line style if not quite as quick as Callis. At WR a very athletic Terrence Hunt #8 6'4'' 215 lb 4.6 runs routes well and #83 6'3'' Brady Goehring holds down the opposite side of the field. The O line is solid from tackle to tackle with 6'3' 265 lb #68 Wolfe at rg
6'2" 230 lb Olenick at center, 6'3' 314 lb Rabb at lg anchoring the interior line (all seniors). The defense is fast and the down men are big. The dbs are led by #5
6'2' Daniels senior db, Callis, and #7 5'10 4.6 Neiser in the secondary, #13 6' 0" 200 lb Thornton at mlb, #12 & #11 Amos twins at lbs. The D line is anchored by #99 6'2" de Gillespie, 6'0" #74 Morgan Johnson dt, 6'0" 250 lb Eldridge Johnson ng, and 5'9" 165 lb de Filla.

Pudlugger
11-15-2006, 09:01 PM
.opps

g$$
11-15-2006, 09:16 PM
Great preview as well, much appreciated.

Sounds like both teams have big lines. Sweeny has #71 Lowrie (275 lbs.), #78 Gutierrez (295 lbs.), #50 Woodard (240 lbs.) & 2 others around 215+ lbs. up front.

I think LG's big WRs could give Sweeny some problems. But, I hear LG runs more out of their spread than pass it. Guess we'll find out. LG's QB struggled last game I was told.

#s to watch for Sweeny:

#14 Tank Carder
#22 Brandon Smith
#15 Paul Brunner (steady player both ways)
#9 Josh Fields
#6 Jammer, #4 Zajicek, #5 T. Young, #88 Higgins (TE), #51 M. Smith are others to check out...#71 Lowrie is best OL, scrappy kid #24 Moore has done some good things lately on defense.

Should be fun, be safe.

Uncle Buck
11-16-2006, 12:30 AM
La Grange 20
Sealy 13

Sweeny 21
Sealy 3

And that means what......................Not a Dang thang. Both are good teams, from two good districts. Have some class.

g$$
11-16-2006, 12:38 AM
Tell 'em Buck. Coach those boys up. Good luck to all.

Should be a fun game & 2 good communities going at it.

cdlvj
11-16-2006, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by g$$

I think LG's big WRs could give Sweeny some problems. But, I hear LG runs more out of their spread than pass it. Guess we'll find out. LG's QB struggled last game I was told.

Last year Woods had twice as many yards passing, and LG passed a lot more that ran. He really has not had a great game this year.

Gsquared
11-16-2006, 08:50 AM
Sweeny has won 8 straight and is red hot going into the playoffs as d24 champs. The Leps are 8-2 with losses to #2 Giddings and #11 Bellville in d23, one of the toughest districts in 3a. This will be a tough match-up with teams pretty equal in talent. Which team will step up to advance to round two?
One of the toughest districts?? How about THE toughest? No better top 3 teams in any district that I can think of.

pancho villa
11-16-2006, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Uncle Buck
La Grange 20
Sealy 13

Sweeny 21
Sealy 3

And that means what......................Not a Dang thang. Both are good teams, from two good districts. Have some class.

Better watch them boys holding Buck! I taught my boy good over there.

Pudlugger
11-16-2006, 10:17 AM
Yeah know, the Leps don't get called for holding more than usual, about once a game. That is probably average. Maybe you taught them too well.:D

Pudlugger
11-16-2006, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by Gsquared
One of the toughest districts?? How about THE toughest? No better top 3 teams in any district that I can think of.

Well I'm not going to argue that but there is D18: Liberty Hill; Hutto; Cameron; Taylor and Rockdale.

Pudlugger
11-16-2006, 10:39 AM
nota bene
Senior La Grange rb and kicker Hunter Callis #22 kicked the winning field goal from the 1 with 1 second left in the second round of the 2003 DII playoff game against Orangefield. Leps won 17-14 to advance to the third round. The Bobcats called two timeouts to try to ice him. He kicked it through the middle of the uprights. He was a freshman playing his first varsity game.

whtfbplaya
11-16-2006, 12:43 PM
Yeah know, the Leps don't get called for holding more than usual, about once a game. That is probably average. Maybe you taught them too well.:D

Unlucky for you Pudlugger I will be at this game to.:D

Pudlugger
11-16-2006, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by whtfbplaya

Hey, I'm cool with that. There is a fine line between staying on a block legitimately and holding. When that line is crossed it ought to be called. If it is unclear most refs let it go. It tends to balance out in most games.:)

Old Tiger
11-16-2006, 02:59 PM
go la grange

Pudlugger
11-16-2006, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
go la grange

Thanks, Tiger WR.We need the support.:D

Gobbla2001
11-16-2006, 04:53 PM
Good Luck LG...

g$$
11-16-2006, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by whtfbplaya

Something to watch for maybe...

Let's have a good, clean football game & may the best team win & move on to the 2nd round. Looking forward to it.

strosfan
11-16-2006, 06:24 PM
good luck La Grange!!! I haven't seen Sweeny play this year, but one thing I can definitely say about La Grange is they can hang with the best of teams. If their competition is better or more talented than them, they can still find a way to keep it close. Should be a great game. But I think La Grange will win.

Pudlugger
11-17-2006, 01:55 AM
18 hours untill kick-off. Can't sleep. This is going to be a great game with two well matched teams going head to head.

cropduster
11-17-2006, 08:09 AM
This should be a great game. Sweeny is very well coached. TZ has done a great job getting those boys ready and the staff should be complimented as well. Stew really has the defense playing great.

Good luck dogs...

grunter
11-17-2006, 08:48 AM
SWEENY FTW!!!

pancho villa
11-17-2006, 08:51 AM
Go Bulldogs!!!!!!!!!!!!

"If lineman ain't holding they ain't trying hard enough"
Pancho Villa

necks_c/09
11-17-2006, 08:56 AM
i have to represent D-24.......go bulldogs!

Pudlugger
11-17-2006, 09:18 AM
I think whoever controls the ground game wins it tonight. The Lep O line will have to step up and own the line of scrimmage. Go Leps, get some Bulldog tonight!!!:D

gobbler grad
11-17-2006, 09:20 AM
this is gonna be a good one...wouldn't mind seeing this one...good luck and let's go Leps...:clap:

necks_c/09
11-17-2006, 09:33 AM
Im pulling for sweeny, even though they are our biggest rival,
from what I have read, la grange is HUGE but runs the spread offense. In my opinion, this gives sweeny an advantage.

If la grange were to get in two tights and ram it down their throat, they would have the upper hand.

and no, im not a sweeny jock-rider.

Pudlugger
11-17-2006, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by necks_c/09
Im pulling for sweeny, even though they are our biggest rival,
from what I have read, la grange is HUGE but runs the spread offense. In my opinion, this gives sweeny an advantage.

If la grange were to get in two tights and ram it down their throat, they would have the upper hand.

and no, im not a sweeny jock-rider.

Yes and no. When the Leps run the play action and burn the Bulldog D over the middle a couple of times the running game will open up. Also, the big Lep receivers will be hard to cover one on one. The spread wears down defenses especially the secondary who have to go deep on coverage every play. The Leps have been very effective off the run with the spread.

Pudlugger
11-17-2006, 12:31 PM
I'm planning on leaving early around 3pm to avoid the traffic and have time to eat dinner. Any good restaurants near Strake?

oh btw, is La Grange home or visitor tonight?

whtfbplaya
11-17-2006, 01:24 PM
I'm planning on leaving early around 3pm to avoid the traffic and have time to eat dinner. Any good restaurants near Strake?

oh btw, is La Grange home or visitor tonight?

Fri 11/17/2006 7:30 PM Sweeny-Home LaGrange-Visitor 3A P Playoff Strake Jesuit HS - Houston 3A Bi-District