PDA

View Full Version : Gary Sheffield traded to Tigers

kepdawg
11-10-2006, 04:00 PM
For 3 pitching prospects.

Adidas410s
11-10-2006, 04:01 PM
The Detroit Tigers have acquired Gary Sheffield from the New York Yankees for three righthanded pitching prospects, the Tigers announced Friday.

Gary Sheffield
Right Field
New York Yankees

2006 SEASON STATISTICS
GM HR RBI R OBP AVG
39 6 25 22 .355 .298

In return for Sheffield, the Tigers sent Humberto Sanchez, Kevin Whelan and Anthony Claggett to New York. Detroit agreed to a two-year contract extension with Sheffield through the 2009 season.

The moves comes a day after Sheffield angrily blasted Yankees management and said Bobby Abreu, the player who took his place in New York's lineup, isn't a good a player as he is.

He'll have the chance to prove the Yankees wrong by moving to the Tigers, who stunned the Yankees in the American League Divisional Series on the way to the AL pennant.

Sheffield, a 19-year veteran and nine-time All-Star who has played for Milwaukee, San Diego, Florida, the L.A. Dodgers, Braves and Yankees, has a .297 career batting average, 455 home runs and 1,501 RBI in 2,229 games. He's sixth among active players in RBI and seventh in home runs.

"We have been able to add one of the biggest bats in baseball," said Tigers manager Jim Leyland, who managed Sheffield in Florida. "I have a great relationship with Gary Sheffield and I have the utmost respect for him. I'm happy to add a bat of this magnitude and that he'll be a Tiger."

Sanchez, who went a combined 10-6 with a 2.63 ERA over 20 starts in Double-A and Triple-A, will join the Yankees' 40-man roster. Whelan, who had 27 saves, will report to Double-A Trenton while Claggett will report to Class-A Tampa.

Sweetwater Red
11-10-2006, 04:14 PM
Boy, I didn't see this coming. I should have with the Leyland/Marlin
connection. Better than Abreu....not hardly.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-10-2006, 04:16 PM
Just for all of you who might be confused, my last name is NOT Sheffield. ;) :D

injuredinmelee
11-10-2006, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
Just for all of you who might be confused, my last name is NOT Sheffield. ;) :D

But is your first name Frank?

injuredinmelee
11-10-2006, 04:22 PM
My name isnt Frank but people call me weiner a lot.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-10-2006, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
But is your first name Frank?

Maybe.....?

g$$
11-10-2006, 04:45 PM
Kevin Whelan above in the deal is from Texas A&M. Kerrville boy I believe too.

Old Tiger
11-10-2006, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
Maybe.....? I thought your name was Tyrone? :confused:

nexfan
11-10-2006, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Kevin Whelan above in the deal is from Texas A&M. Kerrville boy I believe too.

Right again there g$$!! I have a good friend that plays Basketball at HBU that went to school with Kevin and he is a fighting Antler!! Sounds intimidating... go Tivy!!

g$$
11-10-2006, 07:30 PM
Off the top of my head too! Good stuff buddy.

Will Reid from Sweeny coaches at Kerrville Tivy. Will's dad is longtime Sweeny football/track coach Doug Reid (now retired). The Reid's are fine people & Doug was a heck of a good coach too. Another son James coaches at San Angelo State.

g$$
11-10-2006, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by nexfan
Right again there g$$!! I have a good friend that plays Basketball at HBU that went to school with Kevin and he is a fighting Antler!! Sounds intimidating... go Tivy!!

Is that the Autenreith kid at HBU? What happened to the Igo boys too?

nexfan
11-10-2006, 07:49 PM
Matt is a 5th year senior and one of my closest friends! It seems like yesterday I watched his first game at HBU and now its his last year! Time flies when youre having fun. He was the first HBU basketball player to graduate before using all of his eligibility.He is now doing the MBA thing! He had 5 blocks and 6 rebounds the other day against SMU. His older brother josh, who I graduated with played at A&M Kingsville as well!

g$$
11-10-2006, 07:57 PM
Thanks, good info. & appreciated. Glad they are doing well, nice people. Take care.

SWMustang
11-10-2006, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Off the top of my head too! Good stuff buddy.

Will Reid from Sweeny coaches at Kerrville Tivy. Will's dad is longtime Sweeny football/track coach Doug Reid (now retired). The Reid's are fine people & Doug was a heck of a good coach too. Another son James coaches at San Angelo State.

gonna have to call you out G$$ - it's just Angelo State - sans SAN