PDA

View Full Version : G$$, a final look back at running lane

AggieJohn
11-10-2006, 03:33 PM
Would I have run Lane? Probably. I'm a gambler who plays the odds, and Lane's as close to a sure bet to pick up 2 yards as anybody or anything else.

But with everyone throwing statistics around, chew on these:

• Lane's last carry against OU in the red zone went for minus 1 yard.

• Lane has been tackled for a loss in the red zone at least once in three straight games - this streak comes after Lane opened the first three Big 12 games with 15 straight red-zone carries without a loss.

• Against Baylor with the score tied at 21, Lane was tackled for a 1-yard loss on first-and-goal from the 3, then stopped for no gain on the next play. The Aggies settled for a field goal.

These numbers are not meant as a defense of Saturday's Lane-less third-down call, but they do suggest two things:

1. Lane is not the sure goal-line deal everybody's making him out to be.

2. The Big 12 is keying on Lane in the red zone.

Yes, I might've gambled on Lane. But I might've lost. Fran knew they would stack the box and tried something else. Don't get pissed about one play call. Get pissed about the passive gameplan early in the game and our inability to stop the run in the first half.

g$$
11-10-2006, 03:45 PM
Lane is 89%, or 24/27 on the year on 3rd or 4th down runs resulting in a 1st down or TD including 15 straight. I like those odds. 13/13 in Big 12 play. Or, naked boot keep with McGee off the play fake.

My problem was with the play calling starting with 1st & 7. I normally like play action, but not when McGee struggled all night throwing the ball. I blame scheme & coaching for that.

Go down swinging using your best weapon.

BTW, OU had 98 yds. after the 1st quarter. Hope that answered it for you.

AggieJohn
11-10-2006, 03:49 PM
i'm just saying maybe fran does have a brain, however, I still am not liking him as a coach.

g$$
11-10-2006, 03:54 PM
Have you forgotten Clemson? You are back-tracking big-time AJ. Fran is not the answer & never will be.

Stick to your guns. Flip-flop, etc.

My #s above say it all IMO. Best weapon not used with a chance to win the game.

aggie09
11-10-2006, 04:28 PM
Had Fran run lane, all of the hate toward him would not be the way it is now. He should have given the ball to lane hands down.

Fran did not play the odds, he went with McGee's 8/18 passing (44%) rather than lane's 89% in short yardage. And then play calling just went on a downward sprial from there.