PDA

View Full Version : BCS: What Happens...

g$$
11-10-2006, 03:15 PM
Ohio State/Michigan winner plays ??

--Texas has the poll #s, computers hate them (Big 12 not helping them or weak non-conference schedule other than tOSU)
--USC has the strongest schedule remaining (Oregon, Cal, Notre Dame, & UCLA). Will they jump up in the BCS?
--SEC battles to come for Florida & Auburn (LSU is not in hunt w/ 2 losses but probably the most talented team in SEC)
--Arkansas has 1 loss to USC (this will help USC if both run the table & win out)
--Cal is very talented so don't sleep on them

What happens?

I say Ohio State vs. USC unfortunately due to computer geeks & name appeal. Texas' schedule is killing them & beating Nebraska again will not help (USC already beat them handily). BCS is just nuts IMO.

Adidas410s
11-10-2006, 03:32 PM
I agree that if USC gets through their schedule unscathed that they will play the OSU/Michigan for the championship. It's not unlikely to think that we could see an OSU/Michigan rematch if the 1st game is close. The only way this will happen though is if the humans don't drop the loser below #3 or in the human polls. A drop down to 4 or 5 (especially for Michigan) and the computers won't be able to save them. Texas needs to root for 4 things at this point:

1. Texas A&M needs to beat Nebraska.
2. Ohio State beats Michigan.
3. USC loses one of it's remaining games.
4. Florida or Auburn loses another game.

#1 - a win over a 9-2 Texas A&M team that will be ranked in the Top 20 is better than win vs an 8-3 team that won't be ranked.

#2 - If Michigan beats Ohio State, there is a good chance that the Buckeyes wouldn't fall any further than #3 in the human polls unless the game was a blowout. Granted, a close loss by Michigan may still keep them in the favor of the computers as they are #1 and OSU is #2. Either way...this game needs to be a double digit victory...and preferably for the Buckeyes.

#3 - If USC can beat 3 BCS Top 20 (and 2 Top 10) teams 3 weeks in a row...the computers will love this and likely move them into the Top 2 in the computers. They would then need to be a solid #3 in the polls (not unreasonable to think about) and they could likely grab the #2 spot. Also, the Oregon State loss isn't a "bad loss" if the Beavers win out. The Beavers would finish 9-3 and be in the Top 20 (they are currently #24).

#4 - Florida has a big advantage over Texas in the computers...and Auburn's advantage isn't too shabby either. If one of these teams finishes the year with just 1 loss then I don't see Texas jumping over both of them based on their remaining schedule and current deficit in the computers.

zeke
11-10-2006, 03:59 PM
From what I've observed, USC is not the powerhouse they were last year. I don't think they can win out with 4 solid above average teams back to back. I bet the fatigue factor sets in on one of those games.

Ohio State beats Michigan by at least 14, which makes the Texas early season loss by 17 more palateable especially with a rookie redshirt freshman QB.

Florida, I'm afraid, is the team that probably spoils Texas chance for another NC opportunity. Florida has 2 easy games left and then the SEC Championship with probably Arkansas, which Florida likely wins. Florida at #4 in last weeks BCS ranking moves to #3 after the Louisville loss, and eventially to #2 after the Ohio St./Michigan game.

Texas, I believe, will hammer their final 3 opponents but will not get to the National Championship game without an upset win by Arkansas in the SEC championship.

Gsquared
11-10-2006, 04:04 PM
Im telling ya, the way this BCS works, Floridas hopes hinge on Tennessee, LSU, Alabama all winning. Those three teams loose a combined two games and Texas jumps Florida in the BCS by next week. That is concrete, its the numbers.

Old Tiger
11-10-2006, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by zeke
From what I've observed, USC is not the powerhouse they were last year. I don't think they can win out with 4 solid above average teams back to back. I bet the fatigue factor sets in on one of those games.

Tell that to the media

Sweetwater Red
11-10-2006, 04:10 PM
Texas doesn't want any of the Maize n' Blue....:D .

But, Michigan would like a little retribution for that Rose Bowl
a few years ago.:(

Whatever happened to Dusty Mangum?:mad:

Adidas4I0s
11-10-2006, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red

Was it this Dusty Mangum???

http://www3.lehigh.edu/activecampus/images/News/1053_2.jpg

Adidas4I0s
11-10-2006, 04:13 PM

Maybe you meant this one...

http://www.chieftain.com/archive/2005/jan/2/sptPRB137ROSEBOWL.jpg

Adidas4I0s
11-10-2006, 04:14 PM

Wait...I think it was this one...

http://www.gohorns.com/MangumCele.jpg

Sweetwater Red
11-10-2006, 04:15 PM
GO COMANCHE !!!!!!!

BEAT THE BULLDOGS !!!!!!!

:D :D :D

Adidas4I0s
11-10-2006, 04:15 PM

Nevermind on that last one...I believe you were looking for this one...

http://www.dallasnews.com/img/photo/01-05/rosebowl6.jpg

Adidas4I0s
11-10-2006, 04:16 PM

Alas...I finally found what you were looking for. Sorry that took so long! ;)

http://mirrorimageorigin.collegepublisher.com/media/paper410/stills/gd5gb7j8.jpg

mrescape43
11-10-2006, 09:56 PM
If major college football had a playoff system like any other sport on the planet this would never be an issue.