PDA

View Full Version : Friday Night Lights

44INAROW
11-10-2006, 09:24 AM
My mom saw this article in the Houston Press and sent to me - it is pretty long....... but I enjoyed reading it........

From houstonpress.com
Originally published by Houston Press 2006-11-09
©2005 New Times, Inc. All rights reserved.

Lights On or Off?
The fight for a TV show about truth, justice and high school football
By RUTH SAMUELSON

Lights On or Off? The fight for a TV show about truth, justice and high school football

Courtesy Pflugerville High School

In the center are real-life principals Larry Bradley and David Wuest -- surrounded by (left to right) actors Scott Porter, Aimee Teegarden, Jesse Plemons and Taylor Kitsch (#33).

Prep Sports Online

This is a real cheerleader for Pflugerville High School...

Michael Muller

...and actress Minka Kelly playing Lyla Garrity.

Da Capo Press

Friday Night Lights author H.G. "Buzz" Bissinger was fascinated by high school football.

Who / What:
Friday Night Lights

What does it feel like to be under those lights? What does it feel like to have everyone watching you and expecting gold? At Kuempel Stadium outside Austin, dreams are either realized or crushed. This football field usually belongs to Pflugerville High School. But last February, a different team walked onto the grass in the same blue jerseys and helmets glaring under the lights. They had aspirations and expectations, too -- but not the same ones.
The Dillon Panthers are the fictional team on NBC's Friday Night Lights. The actors are from New Jersey, Illinois, Florida and Canada. But when they step onto the field to film their game scenes, they look exactly like their Pflugerville counterparts. Their cheerleaders match Pflugerville's, too. This is not a coincidence; the show's producers use Pflugerville's uniforms and tape Pflugerville's games, splicing in the real footage with shots of the actors doing choreographed plays.

Pflugerville's ninth grade principal, David Wuest, says that the show's actors seem exactly like the kids in his school.

"It's almost like they could pick any high school, walk down the hallways and just fit in."

After producers shot the pilot last February, NBC picked up the show, ordering 13 episodes to run this fall. The first season follows Coach Taylor, played by Kyle Chandler, during his first year as the leader of a high school football team somewhere in West Texas -- but not Odessa. Unlike the 1990 book Friday Night Lights: A Town, a Team, and a Dream by H.G. 'Buzz' Bissinger, and the 2004 movie Friday Night Lights, directed by Peter Berg, the television series does not follow the Permian High School Panthers through their 1988 season. The show takes place today. One character has a father in Iraq; another is a Katrina refugee who shops around for a team and eventually settles at Dillon High School. Topics and themes from the original work -- racism, the local oil economy and educational issues -- permeate the show. The series has also retained another crucial element: Peter Berg, who developed the show for TV and remains an executive producer, visiting Austin between other projects.

go to the link for the conclusion......... too long to post............... Friday Night Lights (http://houstonpress.com/Issues/2006-11-09/news/feature2.html)

pirate4state
11-10-2006, 10:13 AM
I hope NBC doesn't pull the trigger too fast. They are the worst in giving up on shows. Freaks & Geeks anyone?? Good that show was the best thing on TV and the ratings were awful and they pulled the plug! :rolleyes: Surface was fun to watch too and that is gone too. :hairpunk:

I like FNL and hope it can survive the "low ratings". :)

Thanks for the story Lorey!!

Adidas410s
11-10-2006, 10:14 AM
hey they are going to keep Studio 60 around for a full season too so they are getting better at NBC.

44INAROW
11-10-2006, 10:31 AM
I agree - the 1st few times I watched Two and Half Men, I didn't care for it, my husband continued to watch it, so I gave it another shot. - same as Boston Legal - I didn't like it at first, then it grew on me - Now I have them both on Season Pass on our TIVO..

Adidas410s
11-10-2006, 10:33 AM
have you watched How I Met Your Mother yet??? I picked it up last month and it's one of my must watch shows now. Plus...nothing else is on TV on Mondays at 7PM.

44INAROW
11-10-2006, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
have you watched How I Met Your Mother yet??? I picked it up last month and it's one of my must watch shows now. Plus...nothing else is on TV on Mondays at 7PM.
Oh yes - I have all of Monday night (CBS) on Season Pass - the jury is still out on "The Class" ;)

Adidas410s
11-10-2006, 10:40 AM
I made it through 1 episode of the class...thank God it was only 30 minutes cuz I might have jumped off my balcony if it was any longer.