PDA

View Full Version : Aggy's I have a Question

Old Tiger
11-09-2006, 01:01 AM
I read somewhere that Fran may be out if he doesn't win these next two games and that Mike Sherman OC for the Green Bay Packers is a likely candidate for the job. Any truth or have yall heard this same rumor?

GreenMonster
11-09-2006, 01:21 AM
I certainly hope not.

handNthedirt
11-09-2006, 01:35 AM
news to me...hopefully that's off the front page of the enquirer...he's not the guy for the job. I want Jerry Glanville and his House of Pain to revamp the Wrecking Crew! Hell Yeah! Farmers Fight!

Old Tiger
11-09-2006, 01:50 AM
On his blog, Sporting News' Tom Dienhart has some interesting news involving Fran and former UT coach Tim Brewster to Iowa State.

A nail in Franchione's coffin
A source told me Texas A&M's Dennis Franchione isn't out of the woods. He failed his first test of a big November, losing at home to Oklahoma. Let's just say it would be advisable to win out over Nebraska at home and at Texas. If Fran doesn't, a source tells me the winds of change could blow in College Station. A source told me a good fit to take over is former Green Bay Packers coach Mike Sherman, who's the current assistant head coach/offense of the Houston Texans. Sherman hasn't coached in college since leaving A&M following a two-year stint in 1995-96 as the offensive line coach. He also coached the line in College Station from 1989-93.

Update
A source just told me that a big-time candidate for the ISU job is Denver Broncos tight ends coach Tim Brewster. He has extensive college experience, including ultra-successful stints at North Carolina and Texas. Brewster was in the running for the job at Illinois, his alma mater, that went to Ron Zook. Also, Brewster would be a viable candidate for the Stanford job, if the school opts to dump Walt Harris.

All remains quiet on the Michigan State front. A source told me recently that Steve Mariucci was offered the gig. But, the longer MSU goes without getting an answer, the more it appears the job will remain open. I just had a source call to tell that Philadelphia Eagles quarterbacks coach Pat Shurmur is "very much a candidate" for the MSU job, lending more credence to the notion Mariucci won't be the Spartans' next coach. Another source told me that LSU defensive coordinator Bo Pelini wants the MSU position, moreso than the Iowa State job.

kepdawg
11-09-2006, 01:51 AM
I heard some talk about this on the radio today.

GreenMonster
11-09-2006, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by handNthedirt
he's not the guy for the job. I can't believe that I actually agree with handNthedirt on this. If it's really time for Fran to go (quite possibly) then I'd like to see the Ags throw a huge pile of cash down in front of Rich Rodriguez at West Virginia and see what happens. I think he's the real deal. West Virginia has been a pretender for years. Bobby Bowden was smart enough to realize it in the 70's and hopefully Rich Rodriguez will be smart enough to realize it now.

g$$
11-09-2006, 05:15 AM
I like Mike Sherman. He had one bad year in Green Bay with a decaying roster. He has A&M ties too, so maybe it is a possibility. I just wish Kubiak had gotten a chance at it before he took the woe-begone Texans rebuilding job. I did not know Sherman at A&M, but I spoke with him a few times & he is a sharp man, very articulate.

But, Fran is owed lots of $$ & I don't think he's going anywhere.

Mike Sherman is with the Texans by the way as Associate Head Coach/Offensive Line (not Green Bay).

And "Aggy" is not a word Tiger WR. Quit trying to be cute like your predecessor West Tx. You look stupid too when you do that. That would be like me typing "whorn". Both dumb.

HPLJ6L
11-09-2006, 09:48 AM
Let's be real here. I know it hurts but, Fran is gone. Gates is moving up to the pentagon and whoever comes after him will surely need to have a good relationship with Alumni. Alumni want to return to the glory days of a monster defense and at least wondering what will happen when you put the two best teams in Texas head to head (UT and aTm). They used to have something to be proud of. Now the two best teams with texas players are Texas and Oklahoma. Anyway, let's keep checking the Century21 website for the lastest.
And you know A&M will pay him the money like it's pocket change, that's never been a problem up there.

AggieBob
11-09-2006, 09:57 AM
Fran Gone=Lots of money to pay off his contract,also=lots of money to get another coach in, also=terrible senior year for me because we would have to start over agian as a program, also=many drunken nights due to terrible losses by our team =loss of gf due to drunkeness= drop in grades by 83.5%= no job offering out of college= working at Mcdonalds...=me getting fat from fries....

tiger_94
11-09-2006, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
I read somewhere that Fran may be out if he doesn't win these next two games and that Mike Sherman OC for the Green Bay Packers is a likely candidate for the job. Any truth or have yall heard this same rumor?

All of us non aggy fans can just hope that this is not true, it would be terrible to see fran leave cs

crabman
11-09-2006, 10:21 AM
The rumor I heard yesterday was Steve Spurrier. I hate that guy but he recruits like a mother.

raider red 2000
11-09-2006, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
I can't believe that I actually agree with handNthedirt on this. If it's really time for Fran to go (quite possibly) then I'd like to see the Ags throw a huge pile of cash down in front of Rich Rodriguez at West Virginia and see what happens. I think he's the real deal. West Virginia has been a pretender for years. Bobby Bowden was smart enough to realize it in the 70's and hopefully Rich Rodriguez will be smart enough to realize it now.

I dont see Rodriguez leaving WV any time soon. That is hi Alma Mater.

I know that TECH isnt ATM, but Rodriguez turned down TECH in order to wait for the WV job.

I would hate for him to leave WV for ATM...I like Rodriguez and I think that he would make ATM respectable again.

GreenMonster
11-09-2006, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by raider red 2000
I dont see Rodriguez leaving WV any time soon. That is hi Alma Mater.

Yeah, I forgot about him being a WVU grad. It would be hard to get him out of there. Petrino doesn't want to leave at Louisville either. Butch Davis is set to sign on with North Carolina. Spurrier is NOT going to leave South Carolina, whoever's lame idea that is needs to re-evaluate the Bryan-College Station golf course situation. Urban Meyer would be a great choice but he turned down Notre Dame to go to Florida so he ain't coming to Texas either. Which direction should they go? Heck, I don't know.

To be continued after many DEEP thoughts.

IHStangFan
11-09-2006, 10:47 AM
hell, get Applewhite out of Rice and get him up to CS! Look what hes down down at Rice so far!

A Texas Ex coaching the Ags......that'd be interesting!

raider red 2000
11-09-2006, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
hell, get Applewhite out of Rice and get him up to CS! Look what hes down down at Rice so far!

I dont think that ATM wants to take a chance on a young coach like that....although I think that he would be fine there.

I like AppleSauce....had he played mroe his sr year in austin they might have won a national championship sooner.....that kid wasnt flashy but got the job done.

Adidas410s
11-09-2006, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by AggieBob
Fran Gone=Lots of money to pay off his contract,also=lots of money to get another coach in, also=terrible senior year for me because we would have to start over agian as a program, also=many drunken nights due to terrible losses by our team =loss of gf due to drunkeness= drop in grades by 83.5%= no job offering out of college= working at Mcdonalds...=me getting fat from fries....

:clap: :clap: :clap:

IHStangFan
11-09-2006, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by raider red 2000
I dont think that ATM wants to take a chance on a young coach like that....although I think that he would be fine there.

I like AppleSauce....had he played mroe his sr year in austin they might have won a national championship sooner.....that kid wasnt flashy but got the job done. yup, he was a winner as a QB and he is evidently a winner as a coach as well.

Considering this is RICE, the dont look to shabby this year.

2006 SCHEDULE
( Click on an event for complete event information )

Date Opponent / Event Location Time / Result

09/02/06 vs. Houston * Rice Stadium L, 31-30
09/09/06 at UCLA Pasadena, Calif. L, 26-16
09/16/06 vs. Texas Reliant Stadium L, 52-7
09/23/06 at Florida State Tallahassee, Fla. L, 55-7
09/30/06 at Army West Point, N.Y. W, 48-14
10/07/06 at Tulane * New Orleans, La. L, 38-24
10/14/06 vs. UAB * Rice Stadium W, 34-33
10/21/06 at UCF * Orlando, Fla. W, 40-29
11/04/06 at UTEP * El Paso W, 37-31
11/11/06 at Tulsa * Tulsa, Okla. 2:00 p.m. CT
11/18/06 vs. East Carolina * Rice Stadium 2:00 p.m. CT
11/25/06 vs. SMU

GreenMonster
11-09-2006, 11:02 AM

Indeed it would. Probably a good choice as well. The Major would be a very good decision, for a I-AA school. He needs at least one Head coaching gig under his belt before he gets thrown to the wolves. I can't seem to get past one name in particular, Bob Davie. He was the last man to lead a true "Wrecking Crew" defense. He has major college football experience at Notre Dame so he knows what it's like to dance in the fire. He has great memories of College Station per this past Saturday's broadcast. He has A&M roots, which the Aggies love. My only question is has he been out of the game too long now or at least will the search commitee feel that way. His teams at Notre Dame weren't THAT bad. I don't think they left him alone long enough to prove what he was/is capable of. The more I think about it, Bob Davie would be a good fit for the job.

raider red 2000
11-09-2006, 11:04 AM
09/30/06 at Army West Point, N.Y. W, 48-14
11/04/06 at UTEP * El Paso W, 37-31

heck he is doing good.

ARMY played closer to the AGS
and UTEP almost beat TECH.

injuredinmelee
11-09-2006, 11:06 AM
The more i listen to Daive talk the more I do not like him. I am not a aggie fan but man I had bad feelings about Fran from the get go. He just didnt seem to be that good of a coach, Patterson was the brains behind Fran just like Mike Stoops was the man that made OU what it was not so much Bob.

injuredinmelee
11-09-2006, 11:07 AM
what about Chizik? I hear his name alot this season for openings.

raider red 2000
11-09-2006, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
The more i listen to Daive talk the more I do not like him. I am not a aggie fan but man I had bad feelings about Fran from the get go. He just didnt seem to be that good of a coach, Patterson was the brains behind Fran just like Mike Stoops was the man that made OU what it was not so much Bob.

I think that the stoops Bros worked really well together. i would tend to think that BOB was more important than Mike.

Bob got it done at K state and at Florida.

Mike has yet to show too much at U of A.

GreenMonster
11-09-2006, 11:10 AM
what about Chizik? I hear his name alot this season for openings. I don't think he'd get out of Austin alive if he agreed to go to A&M.

Old Tiger
11-09-2006, 11:35 AM
He is still under contract. I don't think Mack would give him rights to talk to A&M about a job.

Old Tiger
11-09-2006, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by g$$
And "Aggy" is not a word Tiger WR. Quit trying to be cute like your predecessor West Tx. You look stupid too when you do that. That would be like me typing "whorn". Both dumb. TU isn't University of Texas either the same could be said for you guys :p Just playing with ya G$$

big daddy russ
11-09-2006, 01:17 PM
what about Chizik? I hear his name alot this season for openings.
I don't think A&M has enough money to throw around to pick up a guy like Chizik. He's in high demand even on an NFL level, so it would have to be a big money job. A&M would not only have to pay Fran the $10 million they owe him, but also the buyout on Chizik's contract plus the $1 million-plus yearly (my guess is that the bidding starts there) to get Chizik to College Station.

Adidas was on the right track with Chris Ault from Nevada. He's not too old (he's what, 60 or so?), wouldn't demand a lot of money, and would already have many of the pieces in place to run his offense. I'd also look around at I-AA. Guys like Northern Iowa's Mark Farley, North Dakota State's Craig Bohl (IMO the best fit for the talent in CS... doesn't run his offense out of the shotgun as much), Cal Poly's Rich Ellerson, and Texas State's David Bailiff would all be good choices at a bargain price.

If nothing else, they could take a flyer like Auburn DC Will Muschamp (he's had great defenses the last two years, but hasn't been there long enough to become a hot commodity like Chizik was) or OC Al Borges. Tuberville has some of the best assistants in the biz and Borges' offense (run happy, pass when you have to) would fit A&M's personnel great.

g$$
11-09-2006, 04:37 PM
No way on David Bailiff from SWT ( I still call it that). Bailiff is a Fran clone & worked under him for years at multiple stops. If A&M makes a change, he will not be the guy due to the stigma attached.

Still say, unfortunately, that no change will be made. A&M lost $6 million last year in Athletics due to facilities upgrades & paying coaches. They still owe Fran around $10 million. That is not chump change.

The only caveat: if Fran tanks the final 2 games plus a bowl, then MAYBE, but a big alum will have to step up & buy him out. I mean big alum, & Bernard Richardson just died this week. Bum Bright is dead too. There are others, but it will take a big one.

g$$
11-09-2006, 04:41 PM
Indeed it would. Probably a good choice as well. The Major would be a very good decision, for a I-AA school. He needs at least one Head coaching gig under his belt before he gets thrown to the wolves. I can't seem to get past one name in particular, Bob Davie. He was the last man to lead a true "Wrecking Crew" defense. He has major college football experience at Notre Dame so he knows what it's like to dance in the fire. He has great memories of College Station per this past Saturday's broadcast. He has A&M roots, which the Aggies love. My only question is has he been out of the game too long now or at least will the search commitee feel that way. His teams at Notre Dame weren't THAT bad. I don't think they left him alone long enough to prove what he was/is capable of. The more I think about it, Bob Davie would be a good fit for the job.

I have said Bob Davie for years, even wrote about it on here too. He knows A&M, great recruiter, talks A&M, had success at A&M, etc. He got into a bad deal at Notre Dame & everything snowballed on him. I would love to have Bob Davie.

But, he's an RC guy, & that is not gonna happen due to that stigma too. They moved away from the RC regime, Fran has failed, now you go back to an RC guy? I don't think it happens.

big daddy russ
11-09-2006, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by g$$
No way on David Bailiff from SWT ( I still call it that). Bailiff is a Fran clone & worked under him for years at multiple stops. If A&M makes a change, he will not be the guy due to the stigma attached...
I didn't know that. He has a crazy little offense down there in San Marcos. Didn't know whether or not it would fit at A&M, but it's effective for the Bobcats.

IF a big alum steps up to buy Frannie's contract out, who do you see A&M trying to get?

Old Tiger
11-09-2006, 04:42 PM
Isn't Davie a commentator?

g$$
11-09-2006, 04:45 PM
Yeah, I forgot about him being a WVU grad. It would be hard to get him out of there. Petrino doesn't want to leave at Louisville either. Butch Davis is set to sign on with North Carolina. Spurrier is NOT going to leave South Carolina, whoever's lame idea that is needs to re-evaluate the Bryan-College Station golf course situation. Urban Meyer would be a great choice but he turned down Notre Dame to go to Florida so he ain't coming to Texas either. Which direction should they go? Heck, I don't know.

To be continued after many DEEP thoughts.

B/CS & A&M have 2 of the best NEW golf courses in the state right now. Jack Nicklaus was involved, the whole deal. Miramount & the other one escapes me. They are 1st class courses, all the bells & whistles.

Spurrier is not leaving South Carolina though, IMO.

g$$
11-09-2006, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
Isn't Davie a commentator?

Yes, now but a very successful coach in his day, & he is not old. He & Slocum were the Wrecking Crew architects. Speed & athletes all over the place. Worked for Sherrill at Pitt too.

Who would we get if Fran is Canned? I would not rule out Chizik (Emory Bellard & others have made the switch). Greg Davis coached at A&M too. Bo Pelini is another name. I think it would be a young, up & comer who can recruit & revitalize the program. Chris Ault is not leaving Nevada - he returned from retirement to coach there again.

So...
Gene Chizik
Bo Pelini
Randy Shannon
Muschamp from Auburn
Steve Kragthorpe (former OC at A&M)
wild card Bob Davie (but probably not)
etc.

That's a good start...

Phil C
11-09-2006, 05:01 PM
Hey Tiger isn't the UT record now 809-311-33? :)

Old Tiger
11-09-2006, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Hey Tiger isn't the UT record now 809-311-33? :) Haven't had time to change it :D

big daddy russ
11-09-2006, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Yes, now but a very successful coach in his day, & he is not old. He & Slocum were the Wrecking Crew architects. Speed & athletes all over the place. Worked for Sherrill at Pitt too.

Who would we get if Fran is Canned? I would not rule out Chizik (Emory Bellard & others have made the switch). Greg Davis coached at A&M too. Bo Pelini is another name. I think it would be a young, up & comer who can recruit & revitalize the program. Chris Ault is not leaving Nevada - he returned from retirement to coach there again.

So...
Gene Chizik
Bo Pelini
Randy Shannon
Muschamp from Auburn
Steve Kragthorpe (former OC at A&M)
wild card Bob Davie (but probably not)
etc.

That's a good start...
All good names. I'd hate to lose a guy like Muschamp at Auburn, but if he goes anywhere I'd like to see him wind up in CS. Chizik would be my number one choice, just because of his Auburn ties and the fact that he may be the best defensive mind in the game today.

g$$
11-09-2006, 05:16 PM
Chizik would be on my speed dial buddy! I would not rule it out if things go way south the next few weeks.

My order right now:

Chizik
Davie
Muschamp
Pelini
Kragthorpe
Shannon (stock has fallen a little but probably not his fault)

big daddy russ
11-09-2006, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Chizik would be on my speed dial buddy! I would not rule it out if things go way south the next few weeks.

My order right now:

Chizik
Davie
Muschamp
Pelini
Kragthorpe
Shannon (stock has fallen a little but probably not his fault)
Any word on where the bidding would start for Chizik, Pelini or Shannon?

Phil C
11-09-2006, 05:20 PM
What about Bob Stoops at Oklahoma?

GreenMonster
11-09-2006, 05:28 PM
What about Bob Stoops at Oklahoma? Stoops only leaves Oklahoma for the NFL or Iowa if Ferentz ever leaves or dies suddenly.

big daddy russ
11-09-2006, 05:28 PM
What about Bob Stoops at Oklahoma?
Doubt he'd leave what he's built in Norman to come to A&M. Besides, I don't know if A&M could afford him right now.

g$$
11-09-2006, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Any word on where the bidding would start for Chizik, Pelini or Shannon?

I think you were right on track earlier with the $$ figures. Sometimes Assts. have buyouts, but rarely in college football. Most have a clause saying they will not be restricted from a promotion (i.e. head coaching job).

That is why you see titles like "Asst. Head Coach" or "Associate Head Coach" (like Chizik has too). That keeps them from leaving for another DC or OC position.

Bob Stoops is not leaving OU for A&M. If anything, maybe pro ball or Iowa his alma mater. I just don't see it. He loves the college game too much, & remember he can look to Spurrier for reference in how that deal went for him.

You know OU did it right with him: he started out around $500K & moved up with success & raises to close to $3 million per year. He earned it, unlike A&M where we rewarded mediocrity in Fran. Simply unbelievable how bad that contract & buyout is for him.

Adidas410s
11-09-2006, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Greg Davis coached at A&M too.

move him to the top of the list! ;)

Old Tiger
11-09-2006, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
move him to the top of the list! ;) lol

g$$
11-09-2006, 05:52 PM
You Longhorns are too tough on Greg Davis IMO. Just look what he has done with QBs at Texas (most recently Colt McCoy). VY made tremendous progress. Granted sometimes his play-calling is questionable, but his overall body of work is darn good.

Davis is from Port Neches & his brother Gary is a cop there. My cousin knows him well. Good family.

TMer25
11-09-2006, 06:12 PM
Surprised no one has mentioned Ron English from Michigan.

coach
11-09-2006, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
move him to the top of the list! ;)

he is an idiot i cant stand him