PDA

View Full Version : G$$, I am completely turning my face on Gary Darnell

AggieJohn
11-08-2006, 01:34 PM
from the "what were you thinking fran in hiring him" camp to "this guys a good coach, a sleeper"

Macarthur
11-08-2006, 02:35 PM
I think he has done a very good job with the defense. He clearly makes adjustments evidence by his defense getting better as the game goes on. I feel bad for them because the two games they lost, the defense played well enough to win; the offense let them down by not converting in the red zone.

AggieJohn
11-08-2006, 02:43 PM
i like his comments about Nebraska this week......

"they've got more shifts than a mack truck hauling a load through the rockies"

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-08-2006, 02:47 PM
I like Coach Darnell. He was upfront and real to me, and very encouraging. The defense is a lot better this year than it was in the years before, so I think it will be okay.

g$$
11-08-2006, 04:13 PM
I will say he has done a "good" job, esp. w/ in-game adjustments. Van Malone & Bill Clay also deserve mention too. I am still not a fan of the 4-2-5 against power running teams, & he has changed his look when they have been gutted vs. the run by bringing Melvin Bullitt down into the box. Bullitt cannot cover at all but is a solid run support guy. I did not agree with the 2 blitz calls vs. Tech that yielded a 1st down & then TD on their final drive after we had success with lots of zone in the 2nd half.

It will be interesting to see what he does if & when he gets more athletes, specifically blitizing more. Right now he plays it pretty safe. But I give him credit. We need more playmakers & athletes on defense.

Chris Harrington is our best defensive player & has been for 2 years IMO. Yes, better than Warren too. Chris makes more plays & should get some All Big 12 run after the season. Solid kid too.

AggieJohn
11-08-2006, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by g$$
I will say he has done a "good" job, esp. w/ in-game adjustments. Van Malone & Bill Clay also deserve mention too. I am still not a fan of the 4-2-5 against power running teams, & he has changed his look when they have been gutted vs. the run by bringing Melvin Bullitt down into the box. Bullitt cannot cover at all but is a solid run support guy. I did not agree with the 2 blitz calls vs. Tech that yielded a 1st down & then TD on their final drive after we had success with lots of zone in the 2nd half.

It will be interesting to see what he does if & when he gets more athletes, specifically blitizing more. Right now he plays it pretty safe. But I give him credit. We need more playmakers & athletes on defense.

Chris Harrington is our best defensive player & has been for 2 years IMO. Yes, better than Warren too. Chris makes more plays & should get some All Big 12 run after the season. Solid kid too. Harrington is getting a lot of Pub right now

And i do still hold that tech call on him

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-08-2006, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by g$$

Chris Harrington is our best defensive player & has been for 2 years IMO. Yes, better than Warren too. Chris makes more plays & should get some All Big 12 run after the season. Solid kid too.

Let me tell you about Chris Harrington...The absolute biggest player as far as complete muscle mass goes. Man, that guy is HUGE.

g$$
11-08-2006, 05:33 PM
Chris Harrington came in after I left, so I do not know him. My buddy was the football academics guy & told me lots of good things about him. Solid kid, really good player, & great genetics. Comes from family of Aggies & nephew of former Aggie All American Dave Elmendorf (football, baseball, & academics). Then Elmendorf was an All Pro DB for the Rams.

AggieJohn
11-08-2006, 06:08 PM
yeah apparently he puts a ton of pressure on himself to perform