PDA

View Full Version : The Accidental Graduates

PPHSfan
04-12-2003, 11:16 PM
Here is a new one that I have not seen yet in the past year.

Question? What is the drop-out rate at your school?

Pilot Point has not had a student drop out of highschool for three years in a row. Virtually every student in the student body is involved in athletics in one form or another. Our kids spend four years battling the NO PASS-NO PLAY rule so they can get on the field, and before you know it.....they have been making the grade for four years. :p

It may be a novel idea...but hey...it seems to be working.

Click on the link below and then click on the drop-out rates in the left column. :D

web page (http://www.pilotpointisd.com/PPISD/Pphs/data/2002%20Accountability%20Rating_files/frame.htm)

Jacket2000
04-13-2003, 12:50 AM
That's not entirely accurate. What most schools do, in order to get that Exemplary rating <cough>JOKE<cough>, is instead of counting a student as a "drop-out", they call them "homeschooled". It makes no difference whether they complete it or not, as long as they havent filled out withdraw papers and no truancy charges have been filed, then it doesn't go down as a drop-out.
J2K

Old Cardinal
04-13-2003, 03:52 AM
Tragically Jacket 2000, you are right....It is easy to get around the system. I do agree with PPHS, however, that a few kids remain in school, only to participate in athletics. That may not be the best reason, but some times they become literate enough to be able to hold some menial job in life....The real homeschooling issue is more complex, many folks that are scientifically trained would rather home school their children because of the decline in public education standards and performance, that plagues America... These "real homeschooled" kids are tending to do much better in College: along with the Private school children who are specifically there-because they really want to learn. Stats show, they do quite well later on in life. These are the real contributers to the great American standard of living; as responsible contributing adults.

<small>[ April 13, 2003, 03:56 AM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

PPHSfan
04-13-2003, 11:06 AM
Maybe you two should spend a little more time at that website and look at the SAT and ACT scores as well as attendance records before you downplay our exemplary rating. I am sorry if you have a problem with the fact that "Maybe" just "Maybe" we have a zero drop out record because of a great system and a great community. 1100 average on the sat across the entire student population is not to shabby for a bunch of hicks that are barely big enough to compete in the mighty 3A. :p

Jacket2000
04-13-2003, 01:46 PM
PPHS, I know nothing about Pilot Point, but I do know something about teenagers, and yes, I refuse to believe that out of 300+ kids, there isnt one single bad apple that decides that school isn't for him or her. Im not saying that it is a bad school or a bad community. On the contrary, it seems like a great place to raise a family. Im just being realistic.
As for the exemplary rating...it's a joke all across the board. There are too many ways to play with the numbers and far too many schools that I know have no business being said in the same breath with schools like Pilot Point.
J2K

bearcat1
04-16-2003, 12:04 AM
actually j2k that is not correct...filling out withdrawal papers is what keeps them from being considered a dropout. Withdrawal papers are a MUST, b/c when they have officially withdrawn from your school, they can't be considered a dropout. (dropouts don't withdraw) Papers must be signed by parent, noting where they are going (new town, homeschool, etc). Now, if this is not done, then they are in fact a dropout. For example, let's say student A doesn't show up for school for 2 weeks, and you can't reach a parent. Sooner or later the district will withdraw them (so as to not hurt their ADA), but unless they find out where that kid is and document it on the withdrawal form, that stays as a dropout. So the school will exhaust all means to find that student and put down where they went to get it off their back. IF they are going to homeschool, they must meet with the Superintendent of the district they reside in and fill out the necessary paperwork so it's on file for audit purposes, and sent in to the state. A school can't just put down "homeschooled" and go on. Just as a parent can't just say "I'm home-schooling" and go on. The parent is legally required to fill out forms, on an ongoing basis. Documentation is required. Just wanted to clear that up. Personally I don't believe school districts could manipulate the system enough to obtain exemplary status.
bc

<small>[ April 16, 2003, 12:15 AM: Message edited by: bearcat1 ]</small>