PDA

View Full Version : Fran's Comments about Lane & Game...

g$$
11-08-2006, 04:33 AM
**Fran's comments about Lane & other calls in the game below. Note his sarcastic tone at times with the media. He specifically mentions the issue with Lane at the bottom. Spin control if I ever heard it! He knows he needs him to have a chance in the coming weeks.

THE QUESTION: Third and 2?

COACH FRAN: We talked it over as a staff and yards were hard to come by. We had worked really hard on red zone and goal line thoughts on the week. We felt like we had a good play called. It was very much like the play that we had hit earlier to Chris Alexander for a big first down. You know, it didn’t work out. We thought it was going to be a good call or we wouldn’t have called it. You have got to make a decision then if you can go for it or do you get points. As hard as yards had been to come by and Layne (Neumann) was kicking good, I felt like we get the three our defense is playing good, we kick it out of the endzone which we did pin them on the 20. We stop them we are going to get the ball back with a minute 20, minute 25 somewhere in there I think. Short field. I mean, you have to think you’re going to get it around the 40 maybe and we’ve been really good in the last couple of minutes of halves in games of moving the ball down the field and in this case we don’t have to have a touchdown we just need about 25 or 30 yards of offense to be in fieldgoal range and Layne has kicked the ball good. So that was the choice that we made.

THE QUESTION: With the great numbers that (Jorvorskie) Lane has in these situations is it hard not to give him a chance or is it almost to obvious to give him the ball?

COACH FRAN: It’s a little of both, Jeff. Hindsight is always easy and you certainly rethink everything that you do in situations. We wouldn’t have called the play on third down that we called if we didn’t think it was going to work. Jorvorskie was another option in that situation and we chose our direction and went that way and it didn’t work out. If it works out then all is good. So again, it’s something that we have to execute and make it right when we make that decision.

THE QUESTION: I looked it up and I think Jorvorskie has converted on 15 straight third our fourth down plays. As long as it’s working, why change something that simply has worked all year long?

COACH FRAN: Well, a lot of those are not on the 2-yard line where defenses are bunched down as close as they are. A lot of them are in the field in a little bit different situations. Now there’s nothing wrong with that call, I’m not saying there is.

THE QUESTION: Did you already know that you were going to kick the fieldgoal if you didn’t convert on third down?

COACH FRAN: No. There was a chance for Stephen (McGee) to run that in, there was Chris (Alexander) in the flat, there was Martellus (Bennett); and that was kind of the option we were looking for in that situation. That play was the high low with those two guys that had been very good to us.

THE QUESTION: Is that one draw back to throwing in that situation is that if you don’t score you are probably not going to get any closer for fourth down.

COACH FRAN: Well, there’s no guarantee if you run it you’re going to get closer either. Last I looked nothing’s a guarantee there. It was tough sledding and if I had had any guarantees, I would have probably been real interested in those.

THE QUESTION: Coach, there was some stuff being made of Jorvorskie’s demeanor coming off the field after that. Did you hear any of that?

COACH FRAN: No, but guys want to win. You want players that want the ball and want players that want to win. There’s nothing wrong with guys being like that. I didn’t talk to him.

**& a little more to chew on (Houston Chronicle):

But third downs have been almost automatic for Lane this season. He has converted 15 straight third and fourth downs for a first down or touchdown. He's 24 of 27 on the season. Even better, all eight of his touchdowns in Big 12 play this season have come from one or two yards out.

Franchione was obviously unaware of this fact when answering reporters' questions Tuesday.

Lane was not made available for comment Tuesday after he appeared to exit the field upset after the failed third-and-2 play Saturday.

Macarthur
11-08-2006, 11:12 AM
i doubt that he was unaware.

i would question some of fran's decisions, but he and his staff work very hard and have a reputation of leaving no stone unturned.

it's easy to second guess him not giving lane the ball, but it's also not a bad decision to use him as a decoy because OU is a very good defense and you know they were going to gang up to stop him. So the pass to a FB in the flat is not a bad decision.

What I would have done (i think the stats would show they are more successful in this scenario) is have McGee in the gun with Lane and Goodson and run the option. Not only does the defense have to worry about Lane, but they have to contain a good running QB and a speedy TB. I think that's more difficult for the defense to stop than Lane 7 yards deep in the I.

Phil C
11-08-2006, 11:15 AM
The only thing with kicking the field goal and giving Oklahoma the ball is that Oklahoma was running the ball well. Plus your defense is tired after being in the game so much. I think he should have gone for the td but then I am not paid even 2 cents to coach so what do I know?

AggieJohn
11-08-2006, 11:26 AM
i'm listening to martellus and you can tell he's been coached

wedo
11-08-2006, 02:07 PM
i would still take my chance and give the ball to lane on 3rd and 4th down. b/c even if you don't get it OU has the ball on the three, and with them pinned back even if they get a first down or two and then punt thats still excellent field position.

Macarthur
11-08-2006, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
The only thing with kicking the field goal and giving Oklahoma the ball is that Oklahoma was running the ball well. Plus your defense is tired after being in the game so much. I think he should have gone for the td but then I am not paid even 2 cents to coach so what do I know?

Did you watch the game?

A&M's defense handled OU's offense in the 2nd half quite well.

wedo
11-08-2006, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
Did you watch the game?

A&M's defense handled OU's offense in the 2nd half quite well.

Thats why i say keep giving it to lane until he got in even on 4th down! It was definetly 4 down territory, the d was playin good but the offense couldn't move the ball that good in the 2nd half. So go for it IMO!

handNthedirt
11-08-2006, 02:50 PM
pin your ears back and give it to the J-Train! 3 yards and a cloud of dust...that's football!

Band, baby, Band!!!

HPLJ6L
11-08-2006, 03:36 PM
Well that explains it, so the only questions now are U-haul or Ryder, I hear Bekins is pretty good.

Either you don't have the brain to use your best weapon in his element, or you don't have the nads. Either way, Coach Fran has officially left the building. Sorry Ags you are now rebuilding. Good luck with your recruiting.

g$$
11-08-2006, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Phil C

Phil C, with all due respect, OU had 98 yds. TOTAL after the 1st quarter. That was 4 down territory, period.

Macarthur: you make some good points, & I am usually a fan of play action too, but right then & there I am going to my best weapon Lane or naked boot keep w/ McGee if they sell out to stop him in the middle. I will take my chances with that over an ineffective passing game. If it had worked, Fran's a genius. But it did not & now his guts have come into question. Option was a possibility, but so tough to run that in limited space against a very fast defense. Good conversation.

Old Tiger
11-08-2006, 04:02 PM
As I said in the other post if the defense held on 4th down that they would of been put in range enough to kick a field goal with 1:30 or so remaining. But that stop would be negated by illegal participation on Shroeder(spelling)

Macarthur
11-08-2006, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Phil C, with all due respect, OU had 98 yds. TOTAL after the 1st quarter. That was 4 down territory, period.

Macarthur: you make some good points, & I am usually a fan of play action too, but right then & there I am going to my best weapon Lane or naked boot keep w/ McGee if they sell out to stop him in the middle. I will take my chances with that over an ineffective passing game. If it had worked, Fran's a genius. But it did not & now his guts have come into question. Option was a possibility, but so tough to run that in limited space against a very fast defense. Good conversation.

I agree that the play action pass was not the right call there. I just think the gun with Lane and Goodson on each side of McGee would have not allowed OU to gang up on the run, especially with 3 WRs & Tellus. I haven't seen it yet, but you would think they have a pass to tellus out of that formation...

g$$
11-08-2006, 04:23 PM
We think a lot alike, don't know if that's good or bad! On the play action, Alexander was the 1st read & Tellus the 2nd in a high low deal. OU had it covered up pretty well. I watched it again. McGee running it was the 3rd option. None of it worked.

Tiger WR: I know what you are saying, but that is a big gamble to even get the ball back esp. w/ 1 timeout left. Here's my deal on the FG w/ the score 17-10. You still need a TD to win it if you kick it (17-13) or 2 more FGs. That is a lot to ask late 4th quarter. That was our best chance to get a TD from the 2 w/ the best short yardage back in the country. Fran did not play his best card IMO.

Shotgun, 2 backs: I have no problem w/ that either. I am running it there one way or another due to the state of our passing game.

HPLJ6L
11-08-2006, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by g$$
We think a lot alike, don't know if that's good or bad! On the play action, Alexander was the 1st read & Tellus the 2nd in a high low deal. OU had it covered up pretty well. I watched it again. McGee running it was the 3rd option. None of it worked.

Tiger WR: I know what you are saying, but that is a big gamble to even get the ball back esp. w/ 1 timeout left. Here's my deal on the FG w/ the score 17-10. You still need a TD to win it if you kick it (17-13) or 2 more FGs. That is a lot to ask late 4th quarter. That was our best chance to get a TD from the 2 w/ the best short yardage back in the country. Fran did not play his best card IMO.

Shotgun, 2 backs: I have no problem w/ that either. I am running it there one way or another due to the state of our passing game.

Play Action?

Dude weighs 280. Nifty enough to run around people, Mean enough to run through them. The game is on the line, why else would you have him here if not for this situation. You get horses so you can ride when it counts. Fran has a Thouroughbred (speed back Goodson), a Clydesdale (Lane) and a Mule (the kicker). Play Action? How about Smash Action. Who cares if everyone on the planet knows what play is coming next. Stop it and we will pick another play. This was the wrong time to get cute and we'll see you later Fran.

Play Action?

g$$
11-08-2006, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by HPLJ6L
Play Action?

Dude weighs 280. Nifty enough to run around people, Mean enough to run through them. The game is on the line, why else would you have him here if not for this situation. You get horses so you can ride when it counts. Fran has a Thouroughbred (speed back Goodson), a Clydesdale (Lane) and a Mule (the kicker). Play Action? How about Smash Action. Who cares if everyone on the planet knows what play is coming next. Stop it and we will pick another play. This was the wrong time to get cute and we'll see you later Fran.

Play Action?

I have said repeatedly I was NOT in favor of the play action pass in that situation. I would have pounded it too, come hell or high water. I saddle the big boy up & get him more carries than 13 too, & Goodson should get more than 10 as well. McGee had more carries than both of them.

Fran showed no guts & now the faithful (like me) can't stand him. For the record, I have not liked him since his 1st year! He does not fit at A&M & never will.

Boosty_Hondo
11-08-2006, 05:08 PM
hey my cousin is mentioned in this article awesome(Layne Nueman)

AggieJohn
11-08-2006, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Boosty_Hondo
hey my cousin is mentioned in this article awesome(Layne Nueman) your cousin was an inadvertant reason for all this drama...if he wouldn't be so good at what he does we would have all this controversy this week