PDA

View Full Version : Best High School Game You Witnessed

bandera7
11-07-2006, 09:31 PM
I have to be a homer here. All through the playoffs, we played in good games, but the State Championship...after a great game by both teams, it went into double OT, and we won it on a 37 yard field goal I believe it was...absolutely an amazing game by both teams. The most nervous I have ever been watching high school football, because they took it to the house on their first play on offense.

awizzy
11-07-2006, 09:45 PM
2002 abilene high abilene cooper

ahigh was number 3 in the state cooper was 5 both teams were 9-0 for the first time ever i think...game was back and forth the whole game cooper had a goal line stand to prevent high taking the lead with a few seconds left in the game went into over time ahigh went three in out cooper scored in four plays...great game

Crimestick
11-07-2006, 09:49 PM
WO-S vs. Calallen in the state semifinals in 2000. One of the state's all-time best defenses against one of the state's all-time best rushing attacks. WO-S wins it with just over a minute left.

IHStangFan
11-07-2006, 09:53 PM
heck, I saw a pretty good one a few weeks ago. Wharton -vs- West Columbia in an amazing come from behind win from Wharton. I believe Wharton was down 27-6 and came back and won it in OT 33-27. Was pretty wild to watch!

awizzy
11-07-2006, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
heck, I saw a pretty good one a few weeks ago. Wharton -vs- West Columbia in an amazing come from behind win from Wharton. I believe Wharton was down 27-6 and came back and won it in OT 33-27. Was pretty wild to watch!
that game sucked...to me it did...but really that was a good football game even tho we lost

IHStangFan
11-07-2006, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by awizzy
that game sucked...to me it did...but really that was a good football game even tho we lost yup.....i almost left at halftime thinking "WC owns Wharton" WC totally dominated in the first half....the second was all Wharton. Was really an exciting game w/ many turns and twists. We're moving to Needville soon more than likely, so I'm trying to get around and see the area teams play and see who's who.

awizzy
11-07-2006, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by IHStangFan
yup.....i almost left at halftime thinking "WC owns Wharton" WC totally dominated in the first half....the second was all Wharton. Was really an exciting game w/ many turns and twists. We're moving to Needville soon more than likely, so I'm trying to get around and see the area teams play and see who's who.

yea the footballs not bad around here..but just u wait until softball starts man there really are some good games...but yea wharton wc needville and sweeny usally have the best teams in just about everything

carter08
11-07-2006, 10:21 PM
2004 Barbers Hill at Columbia

BH won on a last second hail mary

Rabbit'93
11-07-2006, 10:39 PM
01 everman v forney

Matthew328
11-07-2006, 10:43 PM
2002 Coverse Judson vs. Midland...

Easy there...

wedo
11-07-2006, 10:44 PM
Wharton vs. Cuero in 2003 bi-district round, Wharton's Kellens Heards blocks a field goal with just seconds left that would have sent the game to over time.

Bay City vs. Nederland 2000 3rd round- Mainly a defensive game. Bay City was winning 7-0 with 6 seconds left Nederland had the ball on the Bay City one yard line 4th and goal ! Nederland runs a fullback dive and Bay City's middle linbacker Nurada Manning jumps over the o-line to stop Nederlands full back short of the goal line! This was the 2nd biggest crowd at a high school game i've ever seen and it was in the Dome, it looked like the Oilers were player there were so many people there!

Lufkin vs. Austin Westlake 2001 5a state title game- This was the biggest crowd i've ever seen. Reggie McNeal brings Lufkin back for the win.

Wharton vs. Sweeny 2006- Wow Tank Carder!! Sweeny leading most of the game but wharton fights back and take the lead by three with like 1:00 left in the game. Sweeny drives and Tank Carder kicks a 42yd field goal to send it to overtime. Wharton scores first in OT but missed the PAT. Tank Carder scores on Sweeny's possession and kicks the PAT for the win. Great Game, even thought Sweeny won!

Bay City vs. El Campo 2004- El Campo basically dominated the whole game. Bay City found some offense in the 4th quarter to get within a 4 points. But a late interception just about put the game away for El Campo. El Campo's band even started to play that one song you know Na na na na hey hey hey good bye. But has El Campo is trying to run the clock out they fumble and Bay City gets the ball back with less than a min. left , they get a couple of pass interference calls and they get in the redzone and with just a few seconds left , Bay City score a TD with just seconds left and Bay City Wins 24-21. O yeah and there was a huge fight during this game. Not as bad a Miami and FIU but almost! Heated rivalry!

mac77
11-07-2006, 11:19 PM
1998 Playoff game between Sweeny and Aransas Pass. Sweeny lost on a last second field goal from 48 yards. Coach Davenport had that South Texas Wing-T thumpin that night and Sweeny couldn't stop it in the 2nd half.

1979 Semi-final between Lewisville and Temple. Temple won a great defensive game 3-0, then went on to win the title the next week. One of the best ever.

tiger_94
11-07-2006, 11:27 PM
Stephenville vs Aledo this year was a great game

NDFootball
11-07-2006, 11:28 PM
'03 -Everman vs. Wylie

'04- Cuero vs. Wylie, or S'water vs. Wylie

'05 Gainesville or Canyon vs. Wylie (even though we lost to Gainesville)

injuredinmelee
11-07-2006, 11:47 PM
2002 abilene high abilene cooper

ahigh was number 3 in the state cooper was 5 both teams were 9-0 for the first time ever i think...game was back and forth the whole game cooper had a goal line stand to prevent high taking the lead with a few seconds left in the game went into over time ahigh went three in out cooper scored in four plays...great game
that was a great game. Was that the one where it was raining or the one that the Gov did the Coin Toss?

injuredinmelee
11-07-2006, 11:48 PM
Wylie vs. Decatur in Stephenville was as good as a game can get.

big daddy russ
11-08-2006, 12:08 AM
Had to go back on Collier-Sharp to remember some of them. The top ten really stood out and weren't taht hard to remember, but the others were a little tougher.

'00 Calallen/WO-S (4A State Semis) is definitely tops
'99 Aransas Pass/Bishop (Area Rd.) is a close second... the 100-point game
'00 Refugio/Mart (2A State Semis) is a close third
'01 Austin Westlake/SA Madison (5A Quarterfinals)
'96 Calallen/LaMarque (4A State Semis)
'01 Ingleside/Aransas Pass
'00 Mart/Celina (2A State Finals)
'98 Aransas Pass/Sweeny (3A Quarterfinals)
'04 Marlin/Bellville (3A Quarterfinals)
'97 Ingleside/Aransas Pass
'01 Everman/Forney (Area Rd.)
'00 Mathis/Hondo (Regionals)
'97 Calallen/LaMarque (4A State Semis)
'00 CC Carroll/Donna (Can't remember if it was Bi-District or Area)
'02 Aransas Pass/Port Isabel (Area Rd.)

I'm sure there are others, I just can't remember any of them. I'm way too absent-minded.

catman
11-08-2006, 12:29 AM
I have seen about 800 games in the last 20 years. I have seen many great ones across the state. The best games I have ever witnessed were the ones that were won by points scored on the very last play of the game. I have seen several of these. It is always pure jubilation for one team and heartbreak for the other. What a contrast of emotions!

pololdb
11-08-2006, 02:12 AM
1998 Playoff game between Sweeny and Aransas Pass. Sweeny lost on a last second field goal from 48 yards. Coach Davenport had that South Texas Wing-T thumpin that night and Sweeny couldn't stop it in the 2nd half.

That was one of the best games I ever saw, but if Sweeny coaches didn't pull the running back that got them to the game, for his favorite, he could have one.

g$$
11-08-2006, 02:51 AM
1984 Playoff Game
Sweeny vs. Hempstead in Katy

Sweeny beat Hempstead in a thriller...

2 good teams: Hempstead was led by former LSU/NFL RB Harvey Williams & Sweeny by former TCU/NFL LB Tracy Simien (now Asst. D-Line Coach Houston Texans)

Game was voted one of the 10 best games of the '80s by Dave Campbell's Texas Football Magazine in all classifications.

Sweeny scored 2 late TDs after Hempstead looked to have the game in hand. People were leaving left & right, including my aunt & uncle from Louisiana! Hempstead crowd held up a sign that read "Sweeny starts basketball Monday". Sweeny went to its 2 minute offense & Greg Mitchell & David McQuinn caught passes to win the game from QB Brett Simpson on wheel routes up the sideline. After the 1st score, Sweeny onsides kicked & got the ball back. This all happened in far less than 2 minutes. Fantastic football game. I was in junior high at the time.

We had to call my aunt & uncle the next day (way before cell phones). They could not believe it. And Hempstead was stunned too, then THEY started basketball that coming Monday!

**(1984-1985 was undoubtedly the best all-around sports year in Sweeny's history: football lost in quarter finals, boys basketball won state, girls basketball blew 16 pt. lead & lost in state finals, baseball won state, boys track won state, & a girl named Kelly McGraw won tennis singles state).**

District303aPastPlayer
11-08-2006, 05:11 AM
Originally posted by Matthew328
2002 Coverse Judson vs. Midland...

Easy there...

:) me too

Darren
11-08-2006, 07:49 AM
The best I have ever witnessed was the 98' playoff game of Llano vs Giddings. Llano had a chance to beat Giddings with seconds left in the game they tried to kick a field goal but couldn't get the play off in time. That was a great game.

Llano's running back (I think was named Granthum or something like that) was a beast.

awizzy
11-08-2006, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
that was a great game. Was that the one where it was raining or the one that the Gov did the Coin Toss?
thats the one..when ahigh had johnson at qb

injuredinmelee
11-08-2006, 08:11 AM
thats the one..when ahigh had johnson at qb

packed house that night but a great game. People that had parked in the grass parking lots were getting stuck and had to abandon cars or call tow trucks to get out. IT was crazy all around.

westcoast54
11-08-2006, 08:45 AM
1992 Southlake Carrol vs. Vernon at Pennington Field. Has to be one of the best ever. 2003 Gainesville vs. Forney for the Regional Championship wasn't too bad either.
1987 Odessa Permian vs. Arlington High. This was the year before "Friday Night Lights." Arlington advanced on penetrations or first downs. Who can forget the Tyler John Tyler/Plano East game either.
Almost forgot, not sure of the year, 78 or 79, Plano vs. Highland Park. Hp was up at halftime 21-0 and then went up 28-0. Plano came back and won 29-28.
Denton Ryan LaMarque State Championship game in 2003

whtfbplaya
11-08-2006, 09:10 AM
Don't even remember the teams anymore, but I think it was the 5a championship in 2003. Three scores in the last 45 sec.

Adidas410s
11-08-2006, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by whtfbplaya
Don't even remember the teams anymore, but I think it was the 5a championship in 2003. Three scores in the last 45 sec.

that is the Judson/Midland High game that others have referenced.

Adidas410s
11-08-2006, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by catman
I have seen about 800 games in the last 20 years. I have seen many great ones across the state. The best games I have ever witnessed were the ones that were won by points scored on the very last play of the game. I have seen several of these. It is always pure jubilation for one team and heartbreak for the other. What a contrast of emotions!

While I haven't seen that many games...I definitely agree. What is interesting is how many different ways the two teams can wind up in those situations. You have close games all the way, games where the lead goes back and forthk, and the games where a team gets out early and the other team makes a 4th quarter charge to setup the climactic ending.

Maroon87
11-08-2006, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Had to go back on Collier-Sharp to remember some of them. The top ten really stood out and weren't taht hard to remember, but the others were a little tougher.

'00 Calallen/WO-S (4A State Semis) is definitely tops
'99 Aransas Pass/Bishop (Area Rd.) is a close second... the 100-point game
'00 Refugio/Mart (2A State Semis) is a close third
'01 Austin Westlake/SA Madison (5A Quarterfinals)
'96 Calallen/LaMarque (4A State Semis)
'01 Ingleside/Aransas Pass
'00 Mart/Celina (2A State Finals)
'98 Aransas Pass/Sweeny (3A Quarterfinals)
'04 Marlin/Bellville (3A Quarterfinals)
'97 Ingleside/Aransas Pass
'01 Everman/Forney (Area Rd.)
'00 Mathis/Hondo (Regionals)
'97 Calallen/LaMarque (4A State Semis)
'00 CC Carroll/Donna (Can't remember if it was Bi-District or Area)
'02 Aransas Pass/Port Isabel (Area Rd.)

I'm sure there are others, I just can't remember any of them. I'm way too absent-minded.

I think the 1993 Calallen/La Marque game was better than the '97 game. Actually I think it was better than Calallen/WOS and I was at both games.

halfnhalf
11-08-2006, 10:22 AM
2000 State Championship, LaGrange vs. Forney. Game went back and forth the whole game and with La Grange up 20-17 and only a few minutes to play Forney completed like a 60 yard pass, but like 2 plays later LaGrange's Justin Jasek forces Forney's DaBryan Blanton to fumble and it was recovered by LaGrange and LaGrange wins the championship.

downey1547
11-08-2006, 10:52 AM
i take it none of you witnessed the John Tyler / Plano East game.

awizzy
11-08-2006, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by downey1547
i take it none of you witnessed the John Tyler / Plano East game.
cant tell u the number of times i have seen the clips but didnt see it in real life

District303aPastPlayer
11-08-2006, 11:00 AM
cant tell u the number of times i have seen the clips but didnt see it in real life

there were no TV cameras there, though so i wanna know who you know... there was a huge write up in a dave campbells... 2-3 years ago... i believe... the split Vince/ReggieMac cover...

awizzy
11-08-2006, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
there were no TV cameras there, though so i wanna know who you know... there was a huge write up in a dave campbells... 2-3 years ago... i believe... the split Vince/ReggieMac cover...
nah they have clips of the plano game..acuallly the best damn sport show had the best damn 50 games or somthing ang this game was on the list and they had clips and everything

awizzy
11-08-2006, 11:04 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZHkABO0VwCg

big daddy russ
11-08-2006, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
I think the 1993 Calallen/La Marque game was better than the '97 game. Actually I think it was better than Calallen/WOS and I was at both games.
I never saw it. My first Cal/LM game was the '94 game. I was on the sidelines for the '00 game against WO-S. I couldn't help but get excited when you guys scored with a couple of minutes left, but when WO-S marched right back down the field I was completely deflated.

Man, my boss was pissed. We're never supposed to root for one team or the other, but I couldn't help it.

District303aPastPlayer
11-08-2006, 11:08 AM
nah they have clips of the plano game..acuallly the best damn sport show had the best damn 50 games or somthing ang this game was on the list and they had clips and everything

i stand corrected

coach
11-08-2006, 11:21 AM
lewisville vs converse judson state championship 1996

Maroon87
11-08-2006, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I never saw it. My first Cal/LM game was the '94 game. I was on the sidelines for the '00 game against WO-S. I couldn't help but get excited when you guys scored with a couple of minutes left, but when WO-S marched right back down the field I was completely deflated.

Man, my boss was pissed. We're never supposed to root for one team or the other, but I couldn't help it.

In '93 we went ahead with about 1:30 left but LM drove down and scored the game winning TD with 5 seconds left. Talk about a kick in the gut...:mad:

Bull19
11-08-2006, 05:41 PM
02' BELLVILLE VS. MARLIN

3 OVERTIMES. WHAT A THRILLER

pirate4state
11-08-2006, 05:53 PM
Sinton vs. Hitchcock (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36897&highlight=hitchcock)

Originally posted by Sinton Fan
The Sinton/Hitchcock regional semifinal game in 1991. Here's a good description of it originally posted by robbo93(5/25/05):
Sinton 19, Hitchcock 19
Date: Nov. 29, 1991
Site: El Campo High School Stadium
The Story: This Class 3A regional semifinal will go down as one of the area's greatest playoff games, mostly because of one brilliant decision by then Sinton coach Gary Davenport. Hitchcock went ahead, 13-12, with 3:50 left in the game. Sinton then turned the ball over on downs, giving the Bulldogs the ball back at their own 38-yard line. On second down on the Sinton 45-yard line, however, Davenport called timeout and told his startled defense: "Let them score." The Pirates did, and ended up on top. Here's how they did it: R.A. Winston scored - just as Davenport instructed - from 55 yards out with 46 seconds left. The Pirates stopped the Hitchcock 2-point try, making the score 19-12. The Bulldogs had a 3-2 advantage in penetrations, but Sinton led in first downs (the second tiebreak method used), 18-12. Albert Longoria returned the kickoff to the 48, and with 41 seconds left, Sinton drove to the Hitchcock 20. Then, with 14 seconds left on fourth-and-4, quarterback Ruben Trigo hit David Seago for the touchdown. The extra point tied the game, 19-19, to end regulation. To settle the tiebreak, officials first looked at penetrations, which now were tied, 3-3. Next came first downs, which went to Sinton, 20-12. Thus, the Pirates were able to advance in the playoffs because of one coach's gutsy call.
They Said It: "I knew if it didn't work, I would have a lot of explaining to do." - Gary Davenport, Sinton coach
This game made Sports Illustrated that year

Great game!!!

44INAROW
11-08-2006, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by catman
I have seen about 800 games in the last 20 years. I have seen many great ones across the state. The best games I have ever witnessed were the ones that were won by points scored on the very last play of the game. I have seen several of these. It is always pure jubilation for one team and heartbreak for the other. What a contrast of emotions! Been there, done that (2 years in a row) and don't wanna do that again :(

wedo
11-08-2006, 06:07 PM
Ya bandera i agree, i played for greenwood in that game and it was a very good game for both teams.

g$$
11-08-2006, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Sinton vs. Hitchcock (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36897&highlight=hitchcock)

Great game!!!

Why did Hitchcock not kick the PAT to make it an 8 point game? No faith in kicker? 20-12 is way different than 19-12. Any insight? Great game & gutsy move, but the right one to give his team a chance to win.

LHMom
11-08-2006, 11:22 PM
Hard to say this since LH did not win, but I'd have to go with LH vs. Jasper in the semi-finals in '04.

pirate4state
11-09-2006, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Why did Hitchcock not kick the PAT to make it an 8 point game? No faith in kicker? 20-12 is way different than 19-12. Any insight? Great game & gutsy move, but the right one to give his team a chance to win. I don't know. Guess you'd have to ask their coach. I don't remember anything but the end result. I remember the feeling of WTH when we let them score. I remember being so excited I thought I was gonna throw up when Albert had that big return after the kickoff. After David made that catch in the corner of the endzone it is all a blur!! :D

Gotta love HS football!!! :inlove:

SintonFan
11-09-2006, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by g$$
Why did Hitchcock not kick the PAT to make it an 8 point game? No faith in kicker? 20-12 is way different than 19-12. Any insight? Great game & gutsy move, but the right one to give his team a chance to win.
I'd say they wanted to put it out of reach. Who knows, but I copied that description from a post from over a year ago. I had one I wrote up a few years ago, but the search engine doesn't let me past 2004. That description is about as good as it gets though. This question has now been asked about 20 times.:D

GreenGobbla
11-09-2006, 03:34 AM
Originally posted by NDFootball

'04- Cuero vs. Wylie, or S'water vs. Wylie

same here...

g$$
11-09-2006, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan
I'd say they wanted to put it out of reach. Who knows, but I copied that description from a post from over a year ago. I had one I wrote up a few years ago, but the search engine doesn't let me past 2004. That description is about as good as it gets though. This question has now been asked about 20 times.:D

Nobody's ever confused anything or anybody in Hitchcock with intelligent (used to be in our district before they went down to 2A). The only thing he put out of reach was a win! Take every point you can & don't get cute. Sorry if my ?? was repetitive, honestly did not know.

BullFrog Dad
11-09-2006, 10:20 AM
2002 playoff game Decatur vs. Sweetwater @ Stephenville the day after Thanksgiving. Seven lead changes and the game ended with a Decatur pass caught on the one yard line. Final: Sweetwater 24 Decatur 21.

JR2004
11-09-2006, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by halfnhalf
2000 State Championship, LaGrange vs. Forney. Game went back and forth the whole game and with La Grange up 20-17 and only a few minutes to play Forney completed like a 60 yard pass, but like 2 plays later LaGrange's Justin Jasek forces Forney's DaBryan Blanton to fumble and it was recovered by LaGrange and LaGrange wins the championship.

I know a guy that played for Forney that year. I believe he started at linebacker for the Jackrabbits and later played some D1 ball. He brought that game up awhile back and had to stop himself when he mentioned the fumble by Blanton. That play still brings up a sore spot for him it seems.

bandera7
11-09-2006, 06:27 PM
I am speechless about the Plano-John Tyler game. That has to got to be the craziest thing I have ever seen on film. What an incredible comeback by Plano, and what a way to end the game. Man, it hurts to thinking about how those Plano guys must have felt.

Specklebelly
11-09-2006, 06:44 PM
2003 Port Isabel 63 - Rice Consolidated 61 in the Regional Finals. The longest, highest scoring playoff game in Texas High School Football history.

It was like nothing I have ever seen. It stings to have been on the wrong end of the outcome but awesome to have witnessed one of those games that will still be talked about 20 years from now.

SintonFan
11-09-2006, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Nobody's ever confused anything or anybody in Hitchcock with intelligent (used to be in our district before they went down to 2A). The only thing he put out of reach was a win! Take every point you can & don't get cute. Sorry if my ?? was repetitive, honestly did not know.
lol
Don't worry. I can just say I've seen it all... about 20 times. These things are cyclical.:)

olddawggreen
11-09-2006, 07:44 PM
The best highschool game I've personally witnessed was the 2004 four overtime game in which Burnet beat New Braunfels Canyon. They were the big guys on the block and Burnet knocked them off their first year up in 4A. I yelled so much that my voice was gone the next week.

The second best HS game I've seen was the 2002 Burnet-Jasper game at Kyle Field. Nuff said.:D

SintonFan
11-09-2006, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by olddawggreen
The best highschool game I've personally witnessed was the 2004 four overtime game in which Burnet beat New Braunfels Canyon. They were the big guys on the block and Burnet knocked them off their first year up in 4A. I yelled so much that my voice was gone the next week.

The second best HS game I've seen was the 2002 Burnet-Jasper game at Kyle Field. Nuff said.:D
Aww come on. Your 3rd best game must have been the '02 Sinton-Burnet game(which set attendance records for a HS game there in San Marcus). It was my 3rd worst.:D j/k