PDA

View Full Version : Write in me for

injuredinmelee
11-07-2006, 09:44 AM
Governor today. I will abolish the UIL as my first act.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-07-2006, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee

And the TTC? Please?

piratebg
11-07-2006, 09:46 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

You got my vote injured :)

CenTexSports
11-07-2006, 10:02 AM
The only people who should be against the TTC are farmers who don't want to lose land and people who have businesses near the current interstate. Otherwise it is STUPID to oppose the TTC or something similar. The uninformed that opose the TTC are the same people that fought hard to keep the interstate system out of Texas. The same arguement and everything.

Growth and change demand an infrastructure that can accomodate both. Opposing this infrastructure is both short sighted and dangerous. It pushes improvement to other southern states more willing to be competitive.

bullfrog_alumni_02
11-07-2006, 10:03 AM
just so i mark my ballot correctly..thats with just two "e's" at the end correct? i might have to get a monkey to come in and write your name down for me when im in the booth...they might think i voted for someone else...like aggiejohn or jason....hahahaha

3afan
11-07-2006, 10:03 AM

why? what's your beef? what would you replace the UIL with?

raider red 2000
11-07-2006, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by 3afan

i am not always a fan of the UIL....but it is the best system that we have.

I doubt that we could do a better job.

RMAC
11-07-2006, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
The only people who should be against the TTC are farmers who don't want to lose land and people who have businesses near the current interstate. Otherwise it is STUPID to oppose the TTC or something similar. The uninformed that opose the TTC are the same people that fought hard to keep the interstate system out of Texas. The same arguement and everything.

Growth and change demand an infrastructure that can accomodate both. Opposing this infrastructure is both short sighted and dangerous. It pushes improvement to other southern states more willing to be competitive.

I worked for TxDOT this summer and talked w/ my boss about this a few times. If memory serves me correctly, another thing that those opposed to this are arguing is that the state wants to hire contractors out of Mexico that will receive the toll $ for I don't remember how many years until they get their payment for the whole thing. I'm not talking like 30% or something like that, but ALL of the revenue until they've received full payment. Then after that, I think the contractors were wanting a percentage of the tolls from then on out. Don't quote me though, I might be totally off on my figures.

CHS_Grad '85
11-07-2006, 10:40 AM
Governor today. I will abolish the UIL as my first act. Darn! Wish I would have read this before I voted this morning...

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-07-2006, 11:01 AM

Would you want to lose your land? Think about the whole idea of imminent domain. This isn't a school or something that we need, there are plenty of interstates going across Texas and studies have shown that these are sufficient to meet the demands of travelers. The company that is building it is a foreign company, meaning that they will pay nothing in taxes back to the state. That is on top of the fact that the government will decide what is fair market value for your piece of property, not taking into consideration the sentimental value. The bottom line is that imminent domain is unfair to landowners and makes the title and our rights to the land worthless in the end. The idea of a toll road is ridiculous as well, because why should taxpayers pay to build a road, and then keep paying to drive on it? It is easy for you to say that this is a great idea if you have nothing to lose out of the situation. You need to stop being blinded by the idea that just because it won't affect you means that it won't affect someone else. A sidenote, the TTC will allow only access and exit on major highways across the state, which means that it hinders the positive effects on the economy by preventing businesses from building along the highway. Also, the taxpayers will have to pay to have railroad tracks to be built alongside the highway, as voted on in elections a few years ago. I simply see no benefit to this project.

big daddy russ
11-07-2006, 11:39 AM
As much as hell as it gets, the UIL is probably the best governing body in the nation. If you got rid of it, it would be replaced with a government-run organization much like many of the others. Many of those state congressmen's kids go to private schools (that's actually how Strake and Dallas Jesuit got forced into the UIL) and would politic their way into getting all the private schools to join with the public schools.

I never want the UIL to leave, no matter what gripes I have. At least they'll listen to our gripes.

STANG RED
11-07-2006, 11:40 AM
I wouldnt abolish the UIL or the TTC, but I'd dang sure clean house, and get all the politicians and other idiots out of both, and put in some people with a little common sense in their place.
Also, I'm not a fan of toll roads, but if were gonna have them, at least let Texas companies build them, and let Texas recieve nothing less than 100% of all revenues. Then when its paid for, open it up as a reguar interstate, without the tolls. This isnt brain surgery people! Oh, and dont cheat people out of their land. Not only is it just flat out wrong, but in this country, it shouldnt even be possible.

big daddy russ
11-07-2006, 11:41 AM

My biggest problem is with toll roads, period. Let's forget the fact that they're cutting farmers out of the equation for a minute... I don't think toll roads are the answer and I think we're setting a dangerous precedent for the future by building one that runs clean across the state.

big daddy russ
11-07-2006, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I wouldnt abolish the UIL or the TTC, but I'd dang sure clean house, and get all the politicians and other idiots out of both, and put in some people with a little common sense in their place.
Also, I'm not a fan of toll roads, but if were gonna have them, at least let Texas companies build them, and let Texas recieve nothing less than 100% of all revenues. Then when its paid for, open it up as a reguar interstate, without the tolls. This isnt brain surgery people! Oh, and dont cheat people out of their land. Not only is it just flat out wrong, but in this country, it shouldnt even be possible.
What's wrong with this picture? Oh yeah, Red's making complete sense while talking about agendas. You don't belong in politics, Red.;)

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-07-2006, 11:43 AM

Well, until some of those things are met, then why support the TTC?

STANG RED
11-07-2006, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
Well, until some of those things are met, then why support the TTC?
Agreed! And you can bet their's alot of decision makers in there that are lining their own pockets with Texas tax payers dollars.
Heres an idea.
Shoot em all, let God sort em out.:D

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-07-2006, 11:56 AM
Agreed! And you can bet their's alot of decision makers in there that are lining their own pockets with Texas tax payers dollars.
Heres an idea.
Shoot em all, let God sort em out.:D
:thumbsup:

Butkus
11-07-2006, 11:58 AM
Heres an idea.
Shoot em all, let God sort em out.:D Thar ya go agin ole brother tryin ta use ya gun instead of ya head.

3afan
11-07-2006, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by 3afan

eh?

STANG RED
11-07-2006, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Butkus
Thar ya go agin ole brother tryin ta use ya gun instead of ya head.

Maybe so lil bro but ya no i kin shoot tha pupil outa fleas eye at a hunderd paces.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-07-2006, 12:41 PM
Maybe so lil bro but ya no i kin shoot tha pupil outa fleas eye at a hunderd paces.

With what?

Adidas410s
11-07-2006, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I don't think toll roads are the answer and I think we're setting a dangerous precedent for the future by building one that runs clean across the state.

Then we could rename Texas "South Oklahoma" :(

STANG RED
11-07-2006, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
With what?

My trusty ole 30-30 of course. Youll just have to trust me on this one though, cause a 30 cal bullet plays hell with the rest of the flea. :D

Butkus
11-07-2006, 05:00 PM
Maybe so lil bro but ya no i kin shoot tha pupil outa fleas eye at a hunderd paces. Never doubted that a bit. Seen it wif my own eyes.:D

GreenMonster
11-07-2006, 05:14 PM
I don't recall seeing anything on my ballot about the TTC. I'm all for a REAL solution to the problem, but I don't think the TTC is it. Why not widen 281 and just make it more accesible from I-35. It is already in place and it makes a whole lot more sense to adapt what you have than to try to reinvent the wheel.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-07-2006, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
I don't recall seeing anything on my ballot about the TTC. I'm all for a REAL solution to the problem, but I don't think the TTC is it. Why not widen 281 and just make it more accesible from I-35. It is already in place and it makes a whole lot more sense to adapt what you have than to try to reinvent the wheel.

Well, it is Perry's idea, so yeah...Not saying anything bad, but the only way you can stop this one is from the source...