PI 28 - RH 21

10-145 yards rushing and 2 TD
47 yards receiving 1 TD

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-07-2006, 09:32 AM
Noack for President.

footballgal
11-07-2006, 09:37 AM
http://epaper.valleystar.com/Repository/getimage.dll?path=VMS/2006/11/07/9/Img/Pc0091000.jpg

Nolan's Pix
http://epaper.valleystar.com/Repository/getimage.dll?path=VMS/2006/11/07/9/Img/Pc0090700.jpg
Joe Hermosa/Valley Morning Star Port Isabel running back Nolan Nunez follows his line blocking through a huge hole during Friday night’s game against Rio Hondo. PI won 28-21 to clinch the District 32-3A title.

PI rides Nunez Express

By ARMANDO GARZA
armandog@valleystar.com 956-421-9874

PORT ISABEL

— If there were any doubts that this week’s player of the week would come out of last Friday’s big Port Isabel-Rio Hondo matchup, the Tarpons’ Nolan Nuñez made sure they were erased rather quickly.
The shifty junior took a handoff on the Tarpons’ first play from scrimmage and raced 80 yards down the sideline to paydirt. The score was one of three on the night for Nuñez as PI reclaimed the District 32-3A championship they lost to Rio Hondo a year ago. “It felt good, because it was the
biggest game of the season,” Nuñez said of the run. “It felt real good running the ball like that.”
Nuñez was instrumental in the Tarps’ win, rushing for 145 yards and two touchdowns on 10 carries while catching a 45-yard pass for another score in the 28-21 victory.
For his efforts, Nuñez is the Valley Morning Star’s Player of the Week for Week Nine. “It was real important, actually,” he said of winning the title. “The seniors told me at the beginning of the season that they really needed the district) championship back and I told them, ‘Alright, I’m gonna do my best to help you guys get it back’.” He certainly meant what he said. Nuñez was dazzling, accounting for the 190 total yards and being in on some key blocks for coach Monty Stumbaugh’s run game.
By the way, he was key in the passing game, too.
Nuñez caught a pass on a beautiful throwback from quarterback David Alaniz and dashed to the end zone for the 45-yard TD. That score brought the Tarps to within one point, and he was not done yet.
Down 14-13 in the second quarter, he had a key 29-yard burst to put the Tarpons in Rio Hondo territory. That drive ended with a touchdown to give PI a lead they would never relinquish.
The opening drive of the second half was another possession where the Tarpons looked to make a statement and Nuñez definitely helped that cause, as well.
He scored on a nice 7-yard jaunt to cap the drive and give PI the cushion they sought.
On a night when PI faced the district’s best defense, Nuñez and fellow back Ralph Valdez made sure they played Tarpon football: running the ball, chewing up the clock and playing sound defense.
“Rio Hondo did have a tough defense,” Nuñez said. “It was one of the hardest defenses we’ve played.”
PI’s strong push from the offensive line against the Bobcats drew praise from Nuñez, who now has 621 yards and seven TDs in eight games.
“This is a game where they did their best,” Nuñez said of the line’s play. “I really appreciate what they did by protecting our quarterback. They did real good.
“I respect my line. I like what they did and I congratulated them after the game.”
The 2006 season has been a tough one for Nuñez, injury-wise. Earlier in the season, he missed two games with a nagging ankle injury that seems to have all but healed up now.
As a junior, Nuñez will be making his playoff debut when the Tarpons face Lyford in bi-district next weekend.
Nuñez has grown up learning Port Isabel’s storied playoff tradition, and he’s thrilled to now be a part of it.
“This is my first time going to the playoffs, and I’m pretty happy,” he said. “I’m excited to see how it feels.”
Though 2006 is a long way from over for Port Isabel, the expectations for Nuñez’s senior year are already building, and that’s fine with him.
“I’m telling myself I need to build off what I did this year,” he said.

injuredinmelee
11-07-2006, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by footballgal
http://epaper.valleystar.com/Repository/getimage.dll?path=VMS/2006/11/07/9/Img/Pc0091000.jpg http://epaper.valleystar.com/Repository/getimage.dll?path=VMS/2006/11/07/9/Img/Pc0090700.jpg

Joe Hermosa/Valley Morning Star Port Isabel running back Nolan Nunez follows his line blocking through a huge hole during Friday night’s game against Rio Hondo. PI won 28-21 to clinch the District 32-3A title.

PI rides Nunez Express

By ARMANDO GARZA
armandog@valleystar.com 956-421-9874

PORT ISABEL

— If there were any doubts that this week’s player of the week would come out of last Friday’s big Port Isabel-Rio Hondo matchup, the Tarpons’ Nolan Nuñez made sure they were erased rather quickly.
The shifty junior took a handoff on the Tarpons’ first play from scrimmage and raced 80 yards down the sideline to paydirt. The score was one of three on the night for Nuñez as PI reclaimed the District 32-3A championship they lost to Rio Hondo a year ago. “It felt good, because it was the
biggest game of the season,” Nuñez said of the run. “It felt real good running the ball like that.”
Nuñez was instrumental in the Tarps’ win, rushing for 145 yards and two touchdowns on 10 carries while catching a 45-yard pass for another score in the 28-21 victory.
For his efforts, Nuñez is the Valley Morning Star’s Player of the Week for Week Nine. “It was real important, actually,” he said of winning the title. “The seniors told me at the beginning of the season that they really needed the district) championship back and I told them, ‘Alright, I’m gonna do my best to help you guys get it back’.” He certainly meant what he said. Nuñez was dazzling, accounting for the 190 total yards and being in on some key blocks for coach Monty Stumbaugh’s run game.
By the way, he was key in the passing game, too.
Nuñez caught a pass on a beautiful throwback from quarterback David Alaniz and dashed to the end zone for the 45-yard TD. That score brought the Tarps to within one point, and he was not done yet.
Down 14-13 in the second quarter, he had a key 29-yard burst to put the Tarpons in Rio Hondo territory. That drive ended with a touchdown to give PI a lead they would never relinquish.
The opening drive of the second half was another possession where the Tarpons looked to make a statement and Nuñez definitely helped that cause, as well.
He scored on a nice 7-yard jaunt to cap the drive and give PI the cushion they sought.
On a night when PI faced the district’s best defense, Nuñez and fellow back Ralph Valdez made sure they played Tarpon football: running the ball, chewing up the clock and playing sound defense.
“Rio Hondo did have a tough defense,” Nuñez said. “It was one of the hardest defenses we’ve played.”
PI’s strong push from the offensive line against the Bobcats drew praise from Nuñez, who now has 621 yards and seven TDs in eight games.
“This is a game where they did their best,” Nuñez said of the line’s play. “I really appreciate what they did by protecting our quarterback. They did real good.
“I respect my line. I like what they did and I congratulated them after the game.”
The 2006 season has been a tough one for Nuñez, injury-wise. Earlier in the season, he missed two games with a nagging ankle injury that seems to have all but healed up now.
As a junior, Nuñez will be making his playoff debut when the Tarpons face Lyford in bi-district next weekend.
Nuñez has grown up learning Port Isabel’s storied playoff tradition, and he’s thrilled to now be a part of it.
“This is my first time going to the playoffs, and I’m pretty happy,” he said. “I’m excited to see how it feels.”
Though 2006 is a long way from over for Port Isabel, the expectations for Nuñez’s senior year are already building, and that’s fine with him.
“I’m telling myself I need to build off what I did this year,” he said.

your a great fan. I would want you rooting for my team.

piratebg
11-07-2006, 09:49 AM
I went with Noack. Those are just some great numbers for only 3 quarters of work.

injuredinmelee
11-07-2006, 09:57 AM
I actually voted for the Cuero reciever. He did all the work after getting the ball.

footballgal
11-07-2006, 10:25 AM
side note: I just noticed there is a mistake on the number of games Nolan has played. He played week 0 and 1st qtr of week 1 after an injury he hasn't played until like 2 weeks ago, so he has gotten his yards on 5 weeks, I will have to check exactly how many.

44INAROW
11-07-2006, 11:39 AM
bumping back to the top :)

big daddy russ
11-07-2006, 11:45 AM
Some great stats, but I voted for my boy down in Ingleside this time. Four TD's from a WR/RB?

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-07-2006, 12:09 PM
ttt

Adidas410s
11-07-2006, 12:23 PM
shouldn't this be stickied???

footballgal
11-07-2006, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
shouldn't this be stickied???

I was wondering the same thing.

Adidas410s
11-07-2006, 12:28 PM
it must be the anti-region IV bias around here...

wait...nm :rolleyes: ;)

footballgal
11-07-2006, 12:30 PM
:D

injuredinmelee
11-07-2006, 01:38 PM
ttt

injuredinmelee
11-07-2006, 03:44 PM
stickie me please...

bulldogman06
11-07-2006, 04:07 PM
yea boy, little cuz is gettin it done in Bandera!

bandera7
11-07-2006, 07:01 PM
by the way, Brandon Hicks is a QB....not an RB