PDA

View Full Version : Wow-Comparison of Recruiting Class Rankings 2002-2005...

g$$
11-07-2006, 02:30 AM
I found this interesting. Gap not as big as some may think, & it also shows how some schools develop talent much better than others. Note: I realize fictional recruiting rankings do NOT tell the whole story & are NOT the absolute indicator for success. Don't tell Bobby Burton & Tom Lemming that as they get rich!

Rivals.com Recruiting Rankings 2002-2005

Avg. Recruiting Class Ranking Nationally:
Oklahoma = 5.5
Texas = 11.5
Texas A&M = 13.5
Texas Tech = 40.5

& just for fun
Ohio State = 16.75

What do you think?

big daddy russ
11-07-2006, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by g$$
I found this interesting. Gap not as big as some may think, & it also shows how some schools develop talent much better than others. Note: I realize fictional recruiting rankings do NOT tell the whole story & are NOT the absolute indicator for success. Don't tell Bobby Burton & Tom Lemming that as they get rich!

Oklahoma = 5.5
Texas = 11.5
Texas A&M = 13.5
Texas Tech = 40.5

& just for fun
Ohio State = 16.75

What do you think?
Exactly what I've been preaching this whole time, g$$. I know that recruiting classes sometimes pan out and sometimes don't, but for anyone who says that the Ags don't have enough talent, I'll show them this.

So maybe a few of the prospects didn't pan out. I can guarantee you that there's still a ton of talent walking around in College Station. And for everyone who doesn't believe that coaching has anything to do with it, look at Brady Quinn before and after Charlie Weis got there.

At least I'm not preaching to choir.

Adidas410s
11-07-2006, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
And for everyone who doesn't believe that coaching has anything to do with it, look at Brady Quinn before and after Charlie Weis got there.

:thumbsup:

He went from an afterthought and being regarded as "the next mediocore QB at a fading star of a program" to the almost consensus #1 pick in the 2007 NFL Draft.

Adidas410s
11-07-2006, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by g$$

Oklahoma = 5.5
Texas = 11.5
Texas A&M = 13.5
Texas Tech = 40.5

& just for fun
Ohio State = 16.75

What do you think?

So how is it that Tech continues to beat A&M on a consistent basis??? :confused: ;)

halfnhalf
11-07-2006, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ

So maybe a few of the prospects didn't pan out. .
Would've been nice if Jorrie Adams didn't get mixed up and ended panning out real nice for the Ags.

Phil C
11-07-2006, 12:45 PM
It is nice to get a top recruiting class but sometimes there are things that don't work out. We have seen it in the past. Players can't keep their grades up, injuries, unhappiness, mistakes, etc. You never know what will happen.

STANG RED
11-07-2006, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
So how is it that Tech continues to beat A&M on a consistent basis??? :confused: ;)

I dont know, but I think the Ags spend so much time trying to build a team that can beat Texas, they forget about those pass happy red raiders. :thinking:

Adidas410s
11-07-2006, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I dont know, but I think the Ags spend so much time trying to build a team that can beat Texas, they forget about those pass happy red raiders. :thinking:

It's hard to take a second step when you fall flat on your face on the first step! ;)

baby steps ags...baby steps...

awizzy
11-07-2006, 12:56 PM
all u gotta do is look a mccoy..hes was only a three star pospect now some think he good get a heisman...btw the year VY came out of high i think ut had the number 1 class... i think....oh and ut pretty much has the number 1 this year.

injuredinmelee
11-07-2006, 01:34 PM
:thumbsup:

He went from an afterthought and being regarded as "the next mediocore QB at a fading star of a program" to the almost consensus #1 pick in the 2007 NFL Draft.

If I was an NFL gm and had the first pick I wouldnt be able to sleep at night if I didnt pick Adrian Peterson #1.
Can you imagine how good texas would have been the last two years with AD in the backfield with Vince and now Colt?

Stownhorse
11-07-2006, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
If I was an NFL gm and had the first pick I wouldnt be able to sleep at night if I didnt pick Adrian Peterson #1.
Can you imagine how good texas would have been the last two years with AD in the backfield with Vince and now Colt?

He has been fighting injuries. So idk.

g$$
11-07-2006, 03:22 PM

One word: coaching. That was the point to the thread.

Tech has done a great job of developing talent & fitting them into their scheme. I give them worlds of credit. Leach takes what he has & makes them competitive.

Great Brady Quinn analogy Russ.

Now Fran....ugh!

I previously gave the story of OL Chris Montgomery (6'8" 340 lbs.) when I worked at A&M. 5 star kid, best OL in state, Super Team, etc. Kid was unathletic & a big baby (nice guy though). Always hurt & complaining. O-line coach JB Grimes told me one time: "I will be dead in the ground before that guy gets on the field." A&M ran him off with a back injury but he did finish school.

Point is "Recruiting Rankings" should be taken with a grain of salt & not the be all, end all some make them out to be. Throw the "stars" out when they get to campus. They are useful but not the only indicator for success. Lots of other things factor into the process too.