PDA

View Full Version : BCS Computers Killing Texas....

g$$
11-07-2006, 12:33 AM
If you number crunch the BCS, it is amazing how badly the computers in the BCS are killing Texas. Remember, strength of schedule only is a factor in the computers (6 different ones) portion of the BCS now. And of course MOV has been eliminated altogether.

2 polls (Harris & USA Today) + 6 computers avg. = BCS Rankings

Texas is doing great in the polls portion, coming in at #4/#3 in both polls. But in the computers, Texas is #10 @ .630% avg.

Top 5 BCS (w/ computer avgs.)
1. Ohio State = .960 %
2. Michigan = 1.000
3. Louisville = .910
4. Florida = .810
5. Texas = .630**(look at difference)

...that is the difference right now in Texas not being higher. The reason is the Big 12 is down w/ no signature wins & Texas played Rice, Sam Houston, & North Texas besides Ohio State non-conference. What if Texas plays & beats a decent D1 team besides one of those listed? What a drop after the top 4 above in the BCS (-.180 from #4 to #5). That is a significant difference.

If OU had not been screwed at Oregon, that would make a huge difference in the #s. Nebraska lost to USC too. Big 12 just does not have any signature wins out of conference.

Others w/ computer %s & rank for comparison:
Rutgers = .650 (#9 computer rank)
Auburn = .700 (#8)
USC = .770 (#7)
Notre Dame = .810 (#6)
Florida = .810 (#5)
Cal = .850 (#4)
etc. w/ Louisville (#3), Michigan (#1), & Ohio State (#2) ranking

Texas better root for Rutgers to beat Louisville, & the SEC to beat up each other. Texas also needed A&M to beat OU & Nebraska before the T+1 game to help SOS.

The SEC, Big 10, & Pac 10 are rated higher. Even the Big East is getting more respect, but similar to the Big 12 as both are top heavy.

Looking more & more like Ohio State vs. Louisville for the NC game now that WVU is out of it. Texas' schedule did not help them at all.

RMAC
11-07-2006, 01:13 AM
If they would've beat Ohio State this wouldn't matter.

g$$
11-07-2006, 01:14 AM
True, or played a better non-conference schedule. I am surprised that has not been more of a topic with all the complaining by Horn fans.

injuredinmelee
11-07-2006, 09:21 AM
it really doesnt pay to play a tough non con schedule anymore. Who knew the BigXII was gonna blow this year. BUt they are still better than the Big East.

handNthedirt
11-07-2006, 09:26 AM
Scheduling North Texas, Rice, and Sam Houston probably has something to do with it....and getting your a$$es spanked in your own backyard didn't help either. Bonghorns...your defending National Chumps!

Phil C
11-07-2006, 09:28 AM
That is why we need a real playoff system but hopefully we have a bunch of one loss teams at the end of the year and have controversy. We need controversy year after year and eventually Division 1 will change even though I don't think it will happen in my lifetime. It is slow to change. BCS was just lucky last year but remember when it came close to not picking UT for the Rose Bowl and almost chose California. UT's great win over Michigan and TT's massacre of California in the polls showed how close they came to messing up.

NCAA doesn't show UT much love. We are a No. 1 in soccer and won the Big 12 Tournament yet we have to travel this week to UCON and play in the cold and possible snow. This team earned the home field advantage and deserved to host. They should beat the teams they are playing but the cold may be a big equalizer. Fortunately they did let the Lady Aggies have home field advantage. Two teams that got cheated by not even getting an invitation to the playoffs were Kansas and Nebraska.

3afan
11-07-2006, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by handNthedirt
Scheduling North Texas, Rice, and Sam Houston probably has something to do with it....and getting your a$$es spanked in your own backyard didn't help either. Bonghorns...your defending National Chumps!

such bitterness ..............

handNthedirt
11-07-2006, 10:07 AM
no bitterness here...just can't stand all the t-shirt fans...and Mack's lack of morals when it comes to the thugs he keeps on his team....carrying firearms, drugs, breaking and entering, and what not.

wedo
11-07-2006, 10:07 AM
I think that florida will lose still ! And if it comes down to Louiville and Texas as to who gets in it will be close IMO b/c of who will watch this blowout? do people want to see Ohio State vs. Louiville or do they want to see Ohio State vs. Texas "the rematch" ? Hopefully they both lose so there is no controversy!

Lets go Rutgers lets go!!!!

Phil C
11-07-2006, 10:08 AM

Hey those are great teams. North Texas has won their conference several times. Rice was consistently highly ranked in the 40s and 50s and one time even beat Alabama in the Cotton Bowl! :eek:
Sam Houston State almost won the National Championship in their division two years ago and only lost because they didn't have the home field in the semis which they would have advanced and probably won it all if it had been on their home field or even a neutral field.
Their only loss on the home field was to No. 1 team in the country and except for a couple of turnovers that would have been extremely close.

We are the 2005 National Champions in Football! We weren't given it by opinions. We earned it on the field of play.

handNthedirt
11-07-2006, 10:12 AM
the horns 2006 schedule is one of the weakest schedules of any defending national championship team I've ever seen...the teams I mentioned on horns schedule this year may be decent in their respective conferences, but the horns practice squad could've handled those teams...easily.

halfnhalf
11-07-2006, 11:47 AM
the horns 2006 schedule is one of the weakest schedules of any defending national championship team I've ever seen...the teams I mentioned on horns schedule this year may be decent in their respective conferences, but the horns practice squad could've handled those teams...easily.
Aint that the truth

big daddy russ
11-07-2006, 11:54 AM
no bitterness here...just can't stand all the t-shirt fans...and Mack's lack of morals when it comes to the thugs he keeps on his team....carrying firearms, drugs, breaking and entering, and what not.
I'm a t-shirt fan. Did you go to A&M?

kaorder1999
11-07-2006, 11:56 AM

lots of school chomping at the bit last year trying to schedule UT after their National Championship. ;)

Phil C
11-07-2006, 11:57 AM

What thugs?

handNthedirt
11-07-2006, 11:58 AM
to answer your question, no, but I was recruited by them and my dad went there...my grades weren't good enough for them. I grew up an Aggie, which is different than buying ut national championship shirts at the local gas-n-sip after they win the big one.

big daddy russ
11-07-2006, 11:59 AM
to answer your question, no, but I was recruited by them and my dad went there...my grades weren't good enough for them. I grew up an Aggie, which is different than buying ut national championship shirts at the local gas-n-sip after they win the big one.
Gotcha.

Phil C
11-07-2006, 12:02 PM

Never mind answering my question. This post explains enough to me. Don't forget to go see the Lady Aggies play soccer in College Station this weekend in the playoffs.

handNthedirt
11-07-2006, 12:05 PM
maybe, but I wouldn't consider myself, or anyone else who grew up following a team, a t-shirt fan. IMO, t-shirt fans are the same as bandwagoners and front-runners....they wear UT and Steeler gear this year, in '07 it will be Ohio State and Cowboys gear. :D

handNthedirt
11-07-2006, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Never mind answering my question. This post explains enough to me. Don't forget to go see the Lady Aggies play soccer in College Station this weekend in the playoffs.

my apologies, Phil...I didn't realize you asked me a question. ???

Phil C
11-07-2006, 12:08 PM
my apologies, Phil...I didn't realize you asked me a question. ???

No problem. If I lived close to College Station I would be going to the Lady Aggies soccer game and supporting them. Connecticut is too far for me.

big daddy russ
11-07-2006, 12:09 PM
maybe, but I wouldn't consider myself, or anyone else who grew up following a team, a t-shirt fan. IMO, t-shirt fans are the same as bandwagoners and front-runners....they wear UT and Steeler gear this year, in '07 it will be Ohio State and Cowboys gear. :D
Ohhhhhh, I gotcha. I always thought they were just fans who wore the t-shirts but never went to school there.

Adidas410s
11-07-2006, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Connecticut is too far for me.

SPARE NO EXPENSE!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

handNthedirt
11-07-2006, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Ohhhhhh, I gotcha. I always thought they were just fans who wore the t-shirts but never went to school there.

yes, it's a slippery slope, a slippery slope indeed.

BTEXDAD
11-07-2006, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
lots of school chomping at the bit last year trying to schedule UT after their National Championship. ;)

good point.
I'm sure michigan, usc, florida and others REALLY wanted to add Texas to their schedule. Some of these scheduled games are set years in advance. Big 12 had been a tough conference and a team doesn't want to schedule an extremely tough non conference schedule when they're expecting to play a strong conference.

I'll give a team like Notre Dame credit for scheduling some tough games, but it's really no different than teams that play tough games within their conference. And ND also schedules some weak sisters every year.
If you looked at UT's 2006 schedule a couple years ago, it would have been considered very tough.

BTEXDAD
11-07-2006, 12:23 PM
in '07 it will be Ohio State and Cowboys gear. :D

Go Cowboys!

big daddy russ
11-07-2006, 12:23 PM
yes, it's a slippery slope, a slippery slope indeed.
Hey, I've been an Auburn fan my whole life. Used to like Tech and Baylor a lot, too, but A&M and TCU have taken their place in the last three years or so.

It's funny, I start liking teams when they suck and stop liking them when they get good. I still have a soft spot in my heart for Tech, but since they went to the spread offense and moved up a notch or two in the world of college football, I've liked them less and less.

I couldn't stand A&M when I was in grade school because all the A&M fans had all that ammo on UT fans (I wasn't really a UT fan either, just didn't want to hear it) and they used it. In the 80's and 90's, A&M had a bunch of conference championships, a few two- and one-loss seasons, were ranked #1 or #2 for all those weeks, came damn close to a natty title, and even had one undefeated season. Since I started pulling for them, A&M's best season was 7-5.

I guess I jinxed the Ags.

g$$
11-07-2006, 03:44 PM
Yeah Russ, it's all your fault! Fran is not the problem!

Phil C: I agree Texas soccer got the raw end of the deal. I guess more weight was given to the regular season title for A&M. But you make a great point, & Texas did beat A&M in Austin. Screwy NCAA at work again.

I kid people too about the t-shirt fan thing. If you grow up rooting for a certain school, then that is fine by me. But, if you jump on & off depending on the year then that is front-running & bandwagoning. Big difference to me. And yes, I did graduate from A&M.

Buying gear only after the NC gets under my skin big-time. And my family has Horns, Ags, Bobcats, Bearkats, & Cougars. Oh well...just me I guess.