PDA

View Full Version : Hidalgo vs. Port Isabel

TarponFanInNorthTexas
10-03-2003, 08:18 PM
This is the first update i've received.

9:00 left in 2nd quarter...

Hidalgo - 0
Port Isabel - 17

Two other PI touchdowns were called back by penalties, so the score should be even bigger than this.

<small>[ October 03, 2003, 08:18 PM: Message edited by: TarponFanInNorthTexas ]</small>

TarponFanInNorthTexas
10-03-2003, 09:23 PM
The last I heard was about a minute left in the first half, Hidalgo 0, Port Isabel 24.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
10-03-2003, 09:48 PM
Early in the 4th quarter....

Hidalgo - 0
Port Isabel - 45

Looks like the Tarpons finally got on track.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
10-03-2003, 10:20 PM
Sounds like Coach Stumbaugh called off the dogs when PI hit 45 points at the end of the 3rd quarter....so it's looking like the score is going to stay right where it is.

Hidalgo - 0
Port Isabel - 45

Good thing is that EVERYBODY is getting to play tonight. Once I verify a final score, i'll post it here.

TARPON DAD
10-03-2003, 10:43 PM
way to go tarpons i knew you would hit 45
but to also shut out hidalgo is to be comanded!
anybody got any details.cause i dident get to go
to the game.
very nice guys , very nice!whos next?
it doesent really matter!

one team one goal!

go big blue

<small>[ October 03, 2003, 10:44 PM: Message edited by: TARPON DAD ]</small>

TarponFanInNorthTexas
10-03-2003, 11:02 PM
Finally verified the final

Hidalgo - 0
Port Isabel - 45

Great win, Tarpons! Keep up the great work!

PI-fan
10-03-2003, 11:09 PM
PI 45 - 0, yeah that's a surprise, i had them by 14! lol

Great Total team effort. Game was full of big plays, offensively and defensively.

From what i remember #17 Joe had two ints, and #33 Nitro had 2 as well as 1 td(at least). Missle was the mvp offensively again! he had over 200 yds in about 7 carries!! a 35+, 55, 75 and another like 70yrd! And thats cuz the coach doesn't run him like till the middle of the 1st qtr and he stopped running about 3min to go in the 3rd when half the starters got out when the game was 45-0. Some personal fouls/penalties reared their ugly head again, but were in the 2nd half when the game was out of reach. #11 Ochoa, had a great punt in the 3rd from PI's 30 or so to all the way to the Pirates 3yrd line! 65+ freakin yards

PI is building momentum at the right time. Keep it up! Stay focused, stay humble. :D

TarponFanInNorthTexas
10-04-2003, 12:54 AM
Can someone cut/paste the article from either the Star, or the Herald on here???

Gobbla2001
10-04-2003, 01:00 AM
Way to go Stump and comp.

Football GOD
10-04-2003, 01:17 AM
GREAT DEFENSE!!!

OFFENSE IS STARTING TO HIT ON ALL CYLINDERS.

COACH STUMBAUGH,WHAT CAN I SAY,AWESOME GAME PLAN HE PUT TOGETHER.

HIDLGO PIRATES HAVE A GOOD TEAM ,TARPONS JUST TOO MUCH FOR THEM ...

TarponFanInNorthTexas
10-04-2003, 08:25 AM
Here's the article!

Port Isabel pitches shutout

By JASON MCDANIEL
The Brownsville Herald

PORT ISABEL, Oct. 4, 2003 — The Pirates never could get a lock on Misael ‘Missile’ Iracheta.

The ‘Missile’ turned seven carries into 266 yards and three touchdowns and Port Isabel converted seven turnovers into 28 points in a 45-0 win over Hidalgo Friday night at Tarpon Stadium.

“I was just running the ball well thanks to the line,” Iracheta said. “The line did everything, every single one — from Omar (Torres), to Jerry (Troncoso) to Billy (Zimmerman) — they were all great.”

The Tarpons defense set the tone in the first half. Johnny “Nitro” Nieto had two interceptions and Joe Arevalo plundered two of his own to keep the Pirates from ever getting any momentum established. Port Isabel (2-0, 3-2) converted three of the four picks into touchdowns.

“Our defense has done a great job all year,” said Port Isabel head coach Monty Stumbaugh. “We had a let down one ball game, but they rose to the challenge tonight and did a great job playing defense.”

Nieto’s first interception gave the Tarpons the ball at the Hidalgo 30-yard line. Six plays later, Josue Trejo carried the ball in from 12 yards out to make the score 10-0 with 5:10 remaining in the first quarter.

The second interception from Nieto resulted in Iracheta’s first score on a 16-yard run on a drive that took just one play and eight seconds, to give PI a 17-0 advantage with 9:44 in the second quarter.

“Johnny is a football player,” Stumbaugh said about Nieto who also finished with 119 yards rushing and a touchdown. “Every coach would like to have Johnny on his team. He just goes hard and does what you ask of him, he just plays hard and that’s something you can count on.”

Once Iracheta got a taste of the end zone, the Pirates couldn’t slow him down. The ‘Missile” broke off runs of 69, 76, and 87-yards — the last two for touchdowns — en route to his impressive 38 yards per carry average.

“‘Missile’ has so much talent,” Stumbaugh said. “He’s a gifted young man — he’s strong, he’s fast and the kids do a good job blocking for him.”

After going into the locker room up 24-0, the Tarpons needed just one play to score at the opening of the second half. Iracheta took the handoff from quarterback Gabriel Alvarez and ran right, quickly getting outside of the defense before sprinting down the sidelines 76 yards for the touchdown.

“That was a play that we run sometimes, and coach asked me if I remembered how to run it because we hadn’t run it in a while,” Iracheta said. “I said yeah, and we ran it and I got free then I cut in and then back out and then my speed helped me.”

Iracheta’s third score came in third quarter. From the Tarpons own 13, Iracheta weaved his way out of the backfield to the left sideline, dodged a few tackles, then broke back toward the middle of the field. A Pirate defender finally met Iracheta at the goal line, but the ‘Missile’ spun around and dove into the end zone to make the final score 45-0 with 4:49.

Port Isabel finished with 582 yards of total offense, only 29 coming through the air. Alvarez was the third Tarpon to pass the century mark in rushing with 110 yards on nine carries.

“This is a big win for us,” Stumbaugh said. “Every game is tough and this enables us to going forward and get one step closer to our goal of getting to the playoffs This is really big for us and we really needed it.”

footballgal
10-04-2003, 11:31 AM
http://www.brownsvilleherald.com/images/uploads/PI.jpg

Hey Kenny, great catch your cousin made in the end zone. Not much punting last night I think he only punted twice and it was in the 4th quarter with the 2nd team on the field. One of the two he punted was a beauty with GREAT hang time, it landed inside the 10, I think it was the 7 yard line! (not All-Stater for nothing, and only a junior he can only get better)

BTW, will you make it down for the Raymondville game?

<small>[ October 04, 2003, 11:38 AM: Message edited by: footballgal ]</small>

TarponFanInNorthTexas
10-04-2003, 06:54 PM
Yeah, i'd like to make it down for the Raymondville game. Just need to see how my class schedule is going to work out as far as exams are concerned. If all else fails, i'll fly down Friday afternoon and rent a car or something.

Ray_BearKat
10-04-2003, 07:22 PM
Hey hope you make it down, looks like its gonna be a good game. I can't wait for the two weeks to pass already.