PDA

View Full Version : Fire Fran

aggie09
11-06-2006, 12:47 PM
http://www.firefranpetition.com/

2100 and counting

big daddy russ
11-06-2006, 01:05 PM
This website's rediculous. The play calling against OU was nowhere near as bad as it's been all season, but they're singling out that game as the reason they want to fire him. If you want to single out a particular game, look at both the Army and Tech games. Horrible.

You've lost your mind as a HC if you really think that you shouldn't go for the FG on 4th and 2, trailing by one, with four minutes to play (the clock read 4:01 when the offense left the field). That's a slam dunk call whether you're Bob Stoops, Pete Carroll, Bobby Bowden, or Fran. It gives you two options to WIN the game with plenty of time left. You can get down to the 33 and kick another FG or go all the way down for the TD and ice the game. All your defense has to do is stop them on fourth down.

That's why these guys are paid the big bucks. This isn't NCAA 07 or Madden Football.

Now if you want to argue on what happened from 3rd and 2 on, I understand. Horrible play calling there, but both FG's were the right call given the situation.

On that note, I'm signing it. Just because this guy doesn't seem to know a thing about football doesn't mean I don't want Fran gone.

aggie09
11-06-2006, 01:38 PM
i'm just worried bout the petition...field goals were fine in my opinion...the calls that resulted in the field goals were horrible

GreenMachine
11-06-2006, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
This website's rediculous. The play calling against OU was nowhere near as bad as it's been all season, but they're singling out that game as the reason they want to fire him. If you want to single out a particular game, look at both the Army and Tech games. Horrible.

You've lost your mind as a HC if you really think that you shouldn't go for the FG on 4th and 2, trailing by one, with four minutes to play (the clock read 4:01 when the offense left the field). That's a slam dunk call whether you're Bob Stoops, Pete Carroll, Bobby Bowden, or Fran. It gives you two options to WIN the game with plenty of time left. You can get down to the 33 and kick another FG or go all the way down for the TD and ice the game. All your defense has to do is stop them on fourth down.

That's why these guys are paid the big bucks. This isn't NCAA 07 or Madden Football.

Now if you want to argue on what happened from 3rd and 2 on, I understand. Horrible play calling there, but both FG's were the right call given the situation.

On that note, I'm signing it. Just because this guy doesn't seem to know a thing about football doesn't mean I don't want Fran gone. Who are you feeding this baloney to? The punt on 4th down was supposed to be a slam dunk to, but NOT. One coach believed in his offense and the other one didn't! A&M only had one timeout and with one first down by the sooners, the game is over. Horrible call kicking the last field goal :mad:

big daddy russ
11-06-2006, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by GreenMachine
Who are you feeding this baloney to? The punt on 4th down was supposed to be a slam dunk to, but NOT. One coach believed in his offense and the other one didn't! A&M only had one timeout and with one first down by the sooners, the game is over. Horrible call kicking the last field goal :mad:
To anyone who's hungry. Four minutes is plenty of time, with or without the TO's, to put together a drive. If he had gone for it and failed, we'd be having this same conversation, but instead would be asking "why didn't he show any faith in his defense?"

I know A&M's defense sucks, but a head coach has to show them that he believes in them to pull out a tough game. He was between a rock and a hard place, and I didn't hear a single analyst say that he should've gone for it (I didn't see the Gameday wrap up, but I did watch Sportscenter).

It seems like the explosion of the internet and ESPN, it's en vogue to take risks... even when the better play is to lay up. You play the percentages, not what the fans want. You could use golf analogies, poker analogies, whatever.

Say you're in a game of Hold 'em. You're on the River, you've sunk a ton of money into a pot, but you're sure every guy at the table has better hands than you. Let's say that you've also already bluffed a couple of times in the game. You won some and you lost some. Do you keep going for it or do you get out while you can? What would a smart poker player do?

That's why the guys who make all the money make all the money.

AggieJohn
11-06-2006, 02:01 PM

On that note, I'm signing it. Just because this guy doesn't seem to know a thing about football doesn't mean I don't want Fran gone.

Torbush
Baylor 04
24-21
Tech 06
1-11 vs. big 12 powers
77-0
Never won vs. Texas
OU 2006
Les Koening
BJ Symmons 505 yard game
1 bowl game
Worst Bowl game loss
2 losing seasons

htowntransplant
11-06-2006, 02:02 PM
0-8 at tamu vs texas, oklahoma, and texas tech.

yeah thats a message to send to the fans!

raider red 2000
11-06-2006, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by htowntransplant
0-8 at tamu vs texas, oklahoma, and texas tech.

yeah thats a message to send to the fans!
????

ATM beat TT at Kyle in 04...in OT.

Phil C
11-06-2006, 02:08 PM
It was fourth and 2 and there seems to be some dissention here. What happened on the fourth and 2? Where was the line of scrimmage? How much time was left? Did they try a field goal to take the lead? What was the score? Details please.

Phil C
11-06-2006, 02:11 PM
I am a UT fan but I would have loved for both UT and the Aggies to have won all their games for the final showdown.

big daddy russ
11-06-2006, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
Torbush
Baylor 04
24-21
Tech 06
1-11 vs. big 12 powers
77-0
Never won vs. Texas
OU 2006
Les Koening
BJ Symmons 505 yard game
1 bowl game
Worst Bowl game loss
2 losing seasons

Why does this guy never know when to go for it on 4th down? Why does he just stand silent on the sidelines the entire game? Why must he be such a soft coward?...

Call of the day: Fran kicked a field goal down by 4 with just 3:20 left and only 1 timeout remaining. Needless to say we never got the ball back.

That's what's crap, not the fact that they want Fran fired. I'll preach it as long as I can... that wasn't a bad call on fourth and two. The problem was with how they got to fourth and two.

It's 17-10 with over seven minutes to play. You're two yards away from the endzone and you have a 280-lb RB who hits the hole hard. What would you do?

If it was fourth and short, the call would be different, but it wasn't. At fourth and 2.5 you take the points. Just like you don't go for the win on a two-point conversion in the middle of the third quarter, you don't go for the win until crunch time. Over seven minutes to play isn't crunch time.

BTW, game management was a problem with that last FG. 40 seconds ticked off the clock between the time the offense started running of the field and the time they actually kicked the FG.

big daddy russ
11-06-2006, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
It was fourth and 2 and there seems to be some dissention here. What happened on the fourth and 2? Where was the line of scrimmage? How much time was left? Did they try a field goal to take the lead? What was the score? Details please.
It was about 2.5 yards away from the endzone. It was fourth and goal, but Fran tried to pull off a pass when the passing game hadn't been working all game long.

vet93
11-06-2006, 02:37 PM
BDR...I agree the 4th down call was good...but the more important call was the 3rd before it. That is what has everyone tweeked about the game calling. I don't think that Javorskie was even in the game as a decoy??????

It was about 2.5 yards away from the endzone. It was fourth and goal, but Fran tried to pull off a pass when the passing game hadn't been working all game long.

mwynn05
11-06-2006, 03:27 PM
That's what's crap, not the fact that they want Fran fired. I'll preach it as long as I can... that wasn't a bad call on fourth and two. The problem was with how they got to fourth and two.

It's 17-10 with over seven minutes to play. You're two yards away from the endzone and you have a 280-lb RB who hits the hole hard. What would you do?

If it was fourth and short, the call would be different, but it wasn't. At fourth and 2.5 you take the points. Just like you don't go for the win on a two-point conversion in the middle of the third quarter, you don't go for the win until crunch time. Over seven minutes to play isn't crunch time.

BTW, game management was a problem with that last FG. 40 seconds ticked off the clock between the time the offense started running of the field and the time they actually kicked the FG. Wasn't it 17-13....oh and we were gonna go find you and Gary but we werent ure where yall were and me and my cousin left his lil brother at teh zone by himslef while we went and got the stuff to set everything off so we were kind of in a hurry

g$$
11-06-2006, 03:33 PM
To anyone who's hungry. Four minutes is plenty of time, with or without the TO's, to put together a drive. If he had gone for it and failed, we'd be having this same conversation, but instead would be asking "why didn't he show any faith in his defense?"

I know A&M's defense sucks, but a head coach has to show them that he believes in them to pull out a tough game. He was between a rock and a hard place, and I didn't hear a single analyst say that he should've gone for it (I didn't see the Gameday wrap up, but I did watch Sportscenter).

It seems like the explosion of the internet and ESPN, it's en vogue to take risks... even when the better play is to lay up. You play the percentages, not what the fans want. You could use golf analogies, poker analogies, whatever.

Say you're in a game of Hold 'em. You're on the River, you've sunk a ton of money into a pot, but you're sure every guy at the table has better hands than you. Let's say that you've also already bluffed a couple of times in the game. You won some and you lost some. Do you keep going for it or do you get out while you can? What would a smart poker player do?

That's why the guys who make all the money make all the money.

Russ, I always respect your opinions, but both Bob Davie & Kirk Herbstreit said go for the TD with a 280 lb. RB too. It was 4 down territory IMO. If they key on Lane, naked boot off of that. Worst case scenario has OU backed up on the goal line at Kyle Field. There was still time to get the ball back.

Not that tv analysts are always right, just stating their opinions too. I would not have complained if we had been stuffed twice on the goal line. Disappointed yes, but I would have liked the call to go for it & show some cajones.

Here's a stat for Lane on 3rd & 4th down runs: 89% on year gets 1st down or TD. 13/13 in conference play. That says it all.

The 2nd FG was the right call due to down & distance & yard line. But play calling in general was atrocious. A&M struggled to pass all night, yet he goes play action on 3rd & 2. Fran needs to go. Play to win or lose your fans. Nobody I know believes in Little Debbie Frannie. I sure as heck do NOT.

eagles_victory
11-06-2006, 03:36 PM
you have to go for it on the fourth down. Against a team like OU thats been running the ball down your throat all game you cant exect to get a stop. You dont win big games with field goals you win big games with touchdowns. Plus the play calling was horrible.

Lombardi
11-06-2006, 04:02 PM
Fire Fran and Hire who??? A big name coach want come to A&M....

g$$
11-06-2006, 04:06 PM
Sure. $$ talks & A&M has the resources & facilities to rival anyone. Huge school (top 5) & alumni base. One of the biggest endowments in the country. Big 12 conference. Darrell Royal called A&M a sleeping giant for years.

Why do you say otherwise?

Old Tiger
11-06-2006, 04:08 PM
go whine at texags :D

CHS_CG
11-06-2006, 04:12 PM
i havent read this whole thread (just bc i dont feel like it) but how many of you people that are on the "fire fran banwagon" were on the "get RC the hell outta dodge" banwagon???

g$$
11-06-2006, 04:24 PM
I worked for RC on his Football OPs staff & I did think it was time for a change. He did some good things, is a great guy, & stabilized the program, but we could not get over the hump. He did win lots of games & SWC / Big 12 titles though.

I wanted change. It simply has not worked out w/ Fran. He does not fit at A&M & never will. Cut your losses & move forward. Texas did it after going thru David McWilliams & John Mackovic. OU did it after going thru Gary Gibbs, Howard Schnellenberger, & John Blake. You have to know when to move on & strive for better days. Fish or cut bait.

A&M has the infrastructure & resources to be a consistent Top 20 program. That cannot even be argued if you understand college athletics, fundraising, academics, & how sports are funded. A&M fans, students, & alumni should expect & demand more. It is high time for FRAN to go.

BTW Tiger WR, don't read it if you only want to start trouble. You don't even have a true school anyway. Not in the mood for your garbage today.

Old Tiger
11-06-2006, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by g$$

BTW Tiger WR, don't read it if you only want to start trouble. You don't even have a true school anyway. Not in the mood for your garbage today. :bigcry: :crazy1:

Just playing around not even trying to stir the pot and yet you attack me.

AggieJohn
11-06-2006, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
:bigcry: :crazy1:

Just playing around not even trying to stir the pot and yet you attack me.

well it gets old. we are former students and are pissed about the current situation of our alma mater

g$$
11-06-2006, 04:32 PM
Exactly AJ.

Tiger WR, go cheer for Nursing U & leave this alone. You are a trouble maker plain & simple. The new West Tx Horn. Your parents are surely proud!

Old Tiger
11-06-2006, 04:32 PM
I would be too, honestly. I think yall are over reacting about this situation. I can see how yall resort to go to his past experiences but I think the way Fran played it was smart. The defense should be to blame. Fran put the aggy's in a position to win the game because he trusted his defense to hold them on their next possesion. They could not stop the OU rushing attack and that is what cost them the game.

wooden bear
11-06-2006, 04:36 PM

You really belived this brah?? Why would you have kicked that FG? Worst thing that happens is you dont get it and they are on the 1 yard line and your defense is playing great. Also you have hte chance at tying the game, then getting the ball back with a chance to win it. I thought you were smarter than this man.

g$$
11-06-2006, 04:36 PM
The defense played well after the 1st quarter. OU had one 1st down the 2nd half too. Learn football. He should have played to win, thus the unrest among the Aggie faithful.

Go buy a new t-shirt & act like a grad on hornfans.com

You'll fit in well there!

Old Tiger
11-06-2006, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by g$$
The defense played well after the 1st quarter. OU had one 1st down the 2nd half too. Learn football. He should have played to win, thus the unrest among the Aggie faithful.

You'll fit in well there! There you go again attacking me. I give my honest opinion and you have to attack me because you disagree. I never personally attack you so just please get off my nuts.

wooden bear
11-06-2006, 04:40 PM
Get off of UT's first

g$$
11-06-2006, 04:41 PM
If I was on you, you would know it. I am just tired of your act. Support your school (?) fine, but you aim to cause trouble.

That is what ticks me off. Grow up man.

Old Tiger
11-06-2006, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by g$$
If I was on you, you would know it. I am just tired of your act. Support your school (?) fine, but you aim to cause trouble.

That is what ticks me off. Grow up man. When did I cause trouble on this thread? I gave an honest opinion on the whole goal line situation and play calling.

COLLEGE STATION, Texas -- Facing fourth-and-inches from his
own 29 with 1:29 left, Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops wanted to punt to
protect a one-point lead against Texas A&M.

"The second I said punt it, I looked at all the offensive guys
in their eyes, then I thought 'I can't punt it," Stoops said.

The gamble paid off for the 18th-ranked Sooners, who got the
first down they needed to wrap up a 17-16 victory over the
21st-ranked Aggies on Saturday night.

Paul Thompson's second effort on a sneak gave Oklahoma (7-2, 4-1
Big 12) the first down, but the play ended up being moot. Texas A&M
(8-2, 4-2) -- home of the 12th man -- was called for having 12 men on
the field, giving the Sooners a first down and the ability to run
out the clock. Aggies still had a chance to stop them on 4th and short and the defense let up. They had the oppurtunity to stop them and drive in for a winning kick/touchdown. That's cold hard facts.

wooden bear
11-06-2006, 04:43 PM
I predict this thread closes in less than 10 minutes

g$$
11-06-2006, 04:50 PM
It's the 2 series & play calling that preceded that one we're mad about Tiger WR. Fran played scared & Stoops played to win.

When my 280 lb. RB is 89% on the year for his 3rd & 4th down runs (1st down or TD), then I saddle him up twice or naked boot off that. Lane is 13/13 in conference too.

Fran never played a down of football & it shows.

Football 101 - read it & come back later. Team with most points wins the game. A&M had 1 timeout left & a 1st down ended the game for OU. Poor coaching all the way around for the Ags, play calling & time management included.

Old Tiger
11-06-2006, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by g$$
It's the 2 series & play calling that preceded that one we're mad about Tiger WR. Fran played scared & Stoops played to win.

When my 280 lb. RB is 89% on the year for his 3rd & 4th down runs (1st down or TD), then I saddle him up twice or naked boot off that. Lane is 13/13 in conference too.

Fran never played a down of football & it shows.

Football 101 - read it & come back later. Team with most points wins the game. A&M had 1 timeout left & a 1st down ended the game for OU. Poor coaching all the way around for the Ags, play calling & time management included. Okay then I see where you are coming from but still the defense let up on 4th and short when they could have gotten the stop and gotten into FG range for the game winner. Also there still is no reason to attack me because of my opinion on the situation. I never attack you personally.

coach
11-06-2006, 04:54 PM
the only reason the ags lost was w couldnt stop the run and bad play calling...wen your 8-1 and fighting for the big 12 title you lpay to win not play and wait till the game falls into your hand. fran simply got out coached...it was embarrising...also we didnt use goodson enough.....i think fran might save his job if they get 9 wins....h will stay no dought if we get a bowl win tregardless what wwe do against nebraska and t.u. and if we get 10 wins he will also stay...i though the ags could hang on and play texas for the big 12 title....how fun that would be....welll maybe texas looses to k state....ags beat nebraska and ou looses to anybody and we could be playin texas for the title on the day after turkey day....the chances of that......TEXAS RANGERS WINNING THE WORLD SERIES.

g$$
11-06-2006, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
Okay then I see where you are coming from but still the defense let up on 4th and short when they could have gotten the stop and gotten into FG range for the game winner. Also there still is no reason to attack me because of my opinion on the situation. I never attack you personally.

OK, I will ease up on you, but please stop the trouble-making.

When the defense allows one 1st down the whole 2nd half, I am not going to criticize them. They played well after the 1st quarter.

It was poor coaching decisions that led up to the final 1st down. If A&M punches it in w/ Lane or McGee or Goodson, then it's tied & we have a chance to win the game with the crowd going crazy.

Fran played scared & I challenge anyone to refute that statement.

CHS_CG
11-06-2006, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by g$$
OK, I will ease up on you, but please stop the trouble-making.

When the defense allows one 1st down the whole 2nd half, I am not going to criticize them. They played well after the 1st quarter.

It was poor coaching decisions that led up to the final 1st down. If A&M punches it in w/ Lane or McGee or Goodson, then it's tied & we have a chance to win the game with the crowd going crazy.

Fran played scared & I challenge anyone to refute that statement.

i will be the first to admit casey starts a lot of crap on here but honestly IMO he was just giving an opinion.. hes entitled to it how is that causing trouble. yes I am an aggie but i honestly thing aggies shoulda have gone for it on 4th and 2, do i think fran needs to be fired.. i havent made up my mind about that yet.. every coach makes mistakes but you gotta look at how many were fatal mistakes so to say. I dont think hes completely proven himself.

CHS_CG
11-06-2006, 05:09 PM

g$$
11-06-2006, 05:17 PM
When you make over $2 million per year, it's a short leash.

He has made other big ones too, like the game at Clemson when he did not go for 2 & lost by one. Fran is NOT the answer.

I hear you about Tiger WR, but I see it differently.

wooden bear
11-06-2006, 05:22 PM
Doest matter who the heck the coach is they are not going to win the big 12 for a long long long time.

pirate4state
11-06-2006, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by g$$

You'll fit in well there!

Here is a new t-shirt for you Case!! :D ;)

http://www.firefranpetition.com/can%20fran.jpg

AggieJohn
11-06-2006, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by wooden bear
Doest matter who the heck the coach is they are not going to win the big 12 for a long long long time. not true
not true

they were a legit shot in the last three

g$$
11-06-2006, 05:31 PM
It could happen but I agree it will take some time. Look how quickly OU rose back up after firing John Blake. Stoops won the NC in his 2nd year. It will take the right coach & better recruiting, but Fran's classes have been in the Top 20 range.

All I know is it is high time to move on from the Fran regime. No excuse for A&M not to be better. The infrastructure is there. You can win at A&M.

htowntransplant
11-06-2006, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by raider red 2000
????

ATM beat TT at Kyle in 04...in OT.

oops....i got wrong info from the radio then. :p

aggie09
11-06-2006, 05:43 PM
http://www.firefranpetition.com/

2200 and counting

Bull19
11-06-2006, 06:04 PM

WELL WHEN OU WAS RUNNING THE BALL SUCCESFULLY ALL NIGHT AND THEIR ARE 4 MIN LEFT WHAT DO U THINK THEY WILL DO? THATS RIGHT RUN IT. A&M PASSING WAS HORRIBLE SO THEY WERE GOING TO HAVE TO RUN THE BALL WHICH REQUIRES TIME.

YOU HAVE TO GO FOR IT IN THAT SITUATION

mwynn05
11-06-2006, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by g$$

That is what ticks me off. Grow up man. I dont think belton CC has a football team