PDA

View Full Version : How is Burnet doing in 4A this year?

VWG
11-05-2006, 12:44 PM
They going to make the playoffs?

LH Panther Mom
11-05-2006, 12:50 PM
They did make the playoffs with their throttling of Dripping Springs this past Friday. WTG, Dawgs! :D

JR2004
11-05-2006, 12:51 PM
Yes they're in with that win against Dripping Springs this past Friday. I believe Schertz Clemens is supposed to be their first round opponent.

Old Tiger
11-05-2006, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by JR2004
Yes they're in with that win against Dripping Springs this past Friday. I believe Schertz Clemens is supposed to be their first round opponent. Wow talk about luck of the draw(sarcasm) Good luck to Burnet!

Matthew328
11-05-2006, 01:57 PM
It hasn't been an easy go in 4A for Burnet...there is a big difference in 4A and 3A

Old Tiger
11-05-2006, 02:03 PM
How tough is Schertz Clemens this year? I know they are usually pretty tough.

JR2004
11-05-2006, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
It hasn't been an easy go in 4A for Burnet...there is a big difference in 4A and 3A

It's a very big jump up in competition to move up to 4A. My high school made the playoffs in the first year in back in 4A, but they've only been back twice in the 12 seasons since then.

Old Tiger
11-05-2006, 02:06 PM
Class 4a can be compared to Region III in 3a as of how tough it is

Matthew328
11-05-2006, 02:07 PM
Clemens I imagine is pretty tough dropping from 5A

Matthew328
11-05-2006, 02:09 PM
the main difference to me is in 4A you have your bad teams but you had better at least play decent or even the bad teams can beat you..

That's why I am proud of my Everman Bulldogs who have gone 3 deep the past 2 years...this is a bit of a rebuilding year but they are still right in the playoff mix this season...

Old Tiger
11-05-2006, 02:10 PM
the main difference to me is in 4A you have your bad teams but you had better at least play decent or even the bad teams can beat you..

That's why I am proud of my Everman Bulldogs who have gone 3 deep the past 2 years...this is a bit of a rebuilding year but they are still right in the playoff mix this season... Speaking of Everman how is Corey doing?

JR2004
11-05-2006, 02:16 PM
I read awhile back that Fulbright went to an acting school here in the metroplex and was supposed to be moving to Los Angeles to pursue a career in acting.

Matthew328
11-05-2006, 02:18 PM
I believe Corey is out in LA at this time...I have seen him at a couple of Everman games...his #7 is retired along with Craig Boatwright's #87 Boatwright was the Everman DE who tragically passed away during the 2003 season due to a heart conditon..

3afan
11-05-2006, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
Class 4a can be compared to Region III in 3a as of how tough it is

:rolleyes:

Chris Hart
11-05-2006, 04:37 PM
Burnet got a very tough draw in Schertz Clemens in the first round. Clemens is the pick of most to win Region IV and go to the semis at least. Burnet has made the playoffs in 4A, 2 out of 3 years now. Their biggest drawback, is most of the toughest teams in region IV are either in Burnet's district or the district they play in the first round. If Burnet were anywhere between districts 29-32 they could go at least a few runds deep each year. They had a great oppurtunity to do so this year even where they are. They had a 21-20 4th quarter lead over Pflugerville Connally(4A semi-finalists last two years) in district play, but gave up a hail mary TD on the last play of the game and lost 26-21. That play is the reason they are having to face Schertz Clemens in round 1. This year's burnet team is capable, but they must play their very best game to have a chance against Schertz Clemens. Go Bulldogs!:cool:

Old Tiger
11-05-2006, 04:39 PM
Chris, how are they sub varsities for Burnet? Is it going to go back to like it was with Shipley and McGee's era?

Chris Hart
11-05-2006, 04:52 PM
Chris, how are they sub varsities for Burnet? Is it going to go back to like it was with Shipley and McGee's era? Both sub-varsity teams are doing very well. I don't believe either has over 1 or 2 losses. It will be back to like the McGee/Shipley era in about 2-3 years if Coach Shipley stays put. Our 8th grade team is awesome! They have talent EVERYWHERE! Their QB is a cousin to Shipley and has a high school arm already, and Jordan's little brother is on the team too. They have several others just as talented on that team as those two too. They are the only 8th grade team that I've ever seen that has beaten foes 60-0 and 70-0. I believe they only play 8 minute quarters. If Coach Shipley and his staff stay here, the future looks VERY BRIGHT here in Burnet...:cool:

Old Tiger
11-05-2006, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Chris Hart
Both sub-varsity teams are doing very well. I don't believe either has over 1 or 2 losses. It will be back to like the McGee/Shipley era in about 2-3 years if Coach Shipley stays put. Our 8th grade team is awesome! They have talent EVERYWHERE! Their QB is a cousin to Shipley and has a high school arm already, and Jordan's little brother is on the team too. They have several others just as talented on that team as those two too. They are the only 8th grade team that I've ever seen that has beaten foes 60-0 and 70-0. I believe they only play 8 minute quarters. If Coach Shipley and his staff stay here, the future looks VERY BRIGHT here in Burnet...:cool: Good to hear about the old place I called home for 6 or so years :)

Gobbla2001
11-05-2006, 04:58 PM
I think there is a big jump in moving to 4A without McGee and Shipley...

Congrats Bulldogs... beat the Schertz out of Clemens...

Old Tiger
11-05-2006, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001

Congrats Bulldogs... beat the Schertz out of Clemens... hahahahahahaha

injuredinmelee
11-05-2006, 07:08 PM

That's why I am proud of my Everman Bulldogs who have gone 3 deep the past 2 years...this is a bit of a rebuilding year but they are still right in the playoff mix this season...

Hasnt Aledo made the playoffs every year and gone at least three rounds since they moved up?

setxsports
11-05-2006, 07:21 PM
Class 4a can be compared to Region III in 3a as of how tough it is Good point!

Matthew328
11-05-2006, 08:13 PM
Aledo has done well since moving up but I think they are the exception and not the rule...they have had a spike in enrollment and their talent and depth has improved...that accounts for much of their success in 4A

espn1
11-05-2006, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Chris Hart
Burnet got a very tough draw in Schertz Clemens in the first round. Clemens is the pick of most to win Region IV and go to the semis at least. Burnet has made the playoffs in 4A, 2 out of 3 years now. Their biggest drawback, is most of the toughest teams in region IV are either in Burnet's district or the district they play in the first round. If Burnet were anywhere between districts 29-32 they could go at least a few runds deep each year. They had a great oppurtunity to do so this year even where they are. They had a 21-20 4th quarter lead over Pflugerville Connally(4A semi-finalists last two years) in district play, but gave up a hail mary TD on the last play of the game and lost 26-21. That play is the reason they are having to face Schertz Clemens in round 1. This year's burnet team is capable, but they must play their very best game to have a chance against Schertz Clemens. Go Bulldogs!:cool:
Hail Mary???? It was about a 15yd. slant to the tight end. We would have beaten Connally if our QB wouldn't have gotten injured and had to play the 2nd string Qb. Who is a good QB, he just wasn't warmed up and ready togo that game. His first pass was an immediate interception which cost us the game.

VWG
11-05-2006, 09:01 PM
Aledo has done well since moving up but I think they are the exception and not the rule...they have had a spike in enrollment and their talent and depth has improved...that accounts for much of their success in 4A

Correct. Aledo's enrollment is now around 1,300, and it will continue to grow as that Weatherford/Hudson Oaks/Aledo area does.
Tim Buchanan has been at Aledo for several years now and has built a strong program. The added enrollment doesn't hurt, but you have to give it up to him manning the ship for all these years and turning out quality teams. They gotta be paying him some bank to keep him there.

Chris Hart
11-05-2006, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by espn1
Hail Mary???? It was about a 15yd. slant to the tight end. It was actually from the 20 yd. line. My bad, shouldn't have said hail mary, should've said last gasp since they had no timeouts and didn't have enough time to run another play, lol. The pass our backup QB threw after entering the game, not only was an INT, but it was returned for a TD too. We definitely shouldn't have let that one slip away...