PDA

View Full Version : Best Quarterback of Past 10 years

bandera7
11-04-2006, 10:23 PM
Who is the best quarterback to play 3a ball in the past 10 years?

Old Tiger
11-04-2006, 10:23 PM
Stephen McGee
or
GJ Kinne

bandera7
11-04-2006, 10:25 PM
McGee definitely was a stud...the only thing is that he had Shipley, and when we played Burnet, all he really did was throw it up there and Shipley made him look good. I havent seen Kinne play yet, so I cant say anything on him. Any others?

CueroDad2006
11-04-2006, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
Stephen McGee
or
GJ Kinne

CueroDad2006
11-04-2006, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
Stephen McGee
or
GJ Kinne

Kinne needs to play a team with speed and play the pass well, then we can judge .Has not gone up a team that will lay the wood to his a-- and see how he puts up numbers then

Gobbler Fan
11-04-2006, 10:33 PM
Mcgee was a stud I saw him and Burnett whip the Wharton Tiger's in Victoria in the area playoff's .

Nothing against the Kinne kid but put any QB in that offense that can throw a little and surround him with the talent Gilmer has and the number's would not drop all that much . Watching the Highlight's from the Gilmer game last night it looked as if his Recievers were getting YAC on short passes or taking them to the house .

Matthew328
11-04-2006, 10:34 PM
I know this may be a sleeper but how about Michael Benton at Everman....his numbers were unreal and he was 29-1 in two seasons starting....and he won two titles...

sinton66
11-04-2006, 10:39 PM
I agree, titles are the key.

bandera7
11-04-2006, 10:40 PM
but McGee never won a title with Burnet...didnt they lose two years in a row at the state game? And we can all agree that he is definitely a candidate for this

GreenMonster
11-04-2006, 10:41 PM
I think Case Keenum would be a good selection here as well.

bandera7
11-04-2006, 10:45 PM
I dont know much about Case Keenum...what did he do in hs?

GreenMonster
11-04-2006, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by bandera7
I dont know much about Case Keenum...what did he do in hs?

Abilene Wylie HS- 1 State title 3 year starter. Great football player.

bandera7
11-04-2006, 10:59 PM
How about Shawn Bell?

Old Tiger
11-04-2006, 11:00 PM
Shawn Bell was good but not great

bandera7
11-04-2006, 11:07 PM
yeah, and there have been loads of good quarterbacks...so as of right now we have McGee, Benton, and Keenum with Kinne as possible...looking for more yes and no's to all of these guys.

Txbroadcaster
11-04-2006, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by CueroDad2006
Kinne needs to play a team with speed and play the pass well, then we can judge .Has not gone up a team that will lay the wood to his a-- and see how he puts up numbers then

Kinne has shown many times before this year he can take a lick and keep performing. Peopl have forgotten he has not always had the weapons he does now at Gilmer..I think people forget about his ability to scramble. Last year he over 1,000 yds rushing. This year is trying to make a mopre concerted effort to stay in the pocket and allow his weapns on O to do the work

Old Tiger
11-04-2006, 11:12 PM
Some of you talk like he has only played for Gilmer. Don't forget his accomplishments at Canyon

bandera7
11-04-2006, 11:15 PM
I didnt know he had over 1,000 yards on the ground at Canyon...wow that definitely puts him up on the list, I love mobile quarterbacks, they can kill you in so many ways

3afan
11-04-2006, 11:23 PM
gotta mention Caleb Hanie, Forney

bandera7
11-04-2006, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
gotta mention Caleb Hanie, Forney

post some stuff about him, stats or titles or something

Matthew328
11-04-2006, 11:33 PM
Let me make the case for Michael Benton

2001 86 Rushes 638 yards 20 TD 618 passing yards 13 TD 0 INT
(He split time in the regular season with senior Greg Jones)

2002 87 Rushes 808 yards 18 TD 877 passing yards 16 TD 6 INT

29-1 Record as a starter is the key....in the big games Benton was nothing short of amazing

2001 state title game vs. Sinton Benton only threw for 52 yards but he had 2 TD passes and he chipped in 55 rushing yards

2002 state title game vs Burnet Benton put Everman on his back throwing for 86 yards and a TD but he ran for 165 yards and 4 TD's

Underwater Basketweaver
11-05-2006, 12:00 AM
He didn't win a state championship, but Chandler Dane at Decatur was one of the best pure passers I've seen, and I know you probably think this is a homer pick, but anyone who played us in those three years will probably agree. He had as good a touch on every ball he threw as any I have seen at any level. I don't have his numbers in front of me, but they are as good as anyone you can name.

Matthew328
11-05-2006, 12:11 AM
Guys like Dane, McGee, Hanie all put up great numbers but they didnt win the big one....to me if I am gonna pick a QB for a big game I want a guy who has done it and won the big games....

But you are correct Chandler Dane's numbers are as good as anyone's..

eagles_victory
11-05-2006, 12:25 AM
Phillip Daughtery Bridgeport i think that was his name

When we do this in 3 years we will be like Joe Sanders Rockdale

kaorder1999
11-05-2006, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by Matthew328
Guys like Dane, McGee, Hanie all put up great numbers but they didnt win the big one....to me if I am gonna pick a QB for a big game I want a guy who has done it and won the big games....

But you are correct Chandler Dane's numbers are as good as anyone's..

you always have to look at their systems and the talent they have around them....the best quarterback may not always have the best stats or play on a team that has the capability to get to the big game

JR2004
11-05-2006, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by Gobbler Fan
Mcgee was a stud I saw him and Burnett whip the Wharton Tiger's in Victoria in the area playoff's .

Nothing against the Kinne kid but put any QB in that offense that can throw a little and surround him with the talent Gilmer has and the number's would not drop all that much . Watching the Highlight's from the Gilmer game last night it looked as if his Recievers were getting YAC on short passes or taking them to the house .

Do some of you folks out there not realize Kinne was doing amazing things at Canton for THREE years before this season? Canton wasn't exactly filled with great athletes and he was still putting up ridiculous numbers week after week. Did he have good athletes at Canton? Yes...Great? Not by a long shot...

yoemenkracker30
11-05-2006, 12:57 AM
Tye Gunn @ LaGrange....won a championship and wasn't that bad of a passer

Old Tiger
11-05-2006, 08:46 AM

But you are correct Chandler Dane's numbers are as good as anyone's.. What if GJ leads Gilmer to a W in the championship?

Gobbler Fan
11-05-2006, 08:54 AM
Would Kinne have led Canyon to the Championship had he not tranferred that's the question ...

Phil C
11-05-2006, 09:31 AM
but McGee never won a title with Burnet...didnt they lose two years in a row at the state game? And we can all agree that he is definitely a candidate for this

Actually they lost twice to Everman like Sinton did once in the state championship games. Everman was only one or two students away from being in 4A which they are now.

3afan
11-05-2006, 09:44 AM
Would Kinne have led Canyon to the Championship had he not tranferred that's the question ...

doubtful ..........

mrescape43
11-05-2006, 09:51 AM

this isn't a fair question. 1 player alone can't make the team a championship winner.

Gobbler Fan
11-05-2006, 10:05 AM
The question was .....Who was the best QB to play 3A ball the last 10 years? Not who was the best QB to have won a championship in the past 10 years . I stick to my pick of McGee

bullfrog_alumni_02
11-05-2006, 10:05 AM
a few years ago LW had a qb by the name of Jeff Mathis...if he would have had better grades he could have maybe gone to a div 1-A school...but he settled for SWOK st. he was described by the Fort Worth Star Telegram as being a mini-Brett Favre. i dont remember his stats for his sr year though, but he lead LW back to the playoffs for the first time in 25 years his jr year, then his sr year beat forney in the 1st round of the playoffs, if you remember that forney team had the speedy debryant blanton on it at tail back...

Gobbler Fan
11-05-2006, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by mrescape43
this isn't a fair question. 1 player alone can't make the team a championship winner.

True but Gilmer was set to win a Championship even before Kinne transferred . He just out of LUCK transferred to Gilmer :rolleyes: and lo and behold they had Div. 1 prospect's all over the place ....

LHMom
11-05-2006, 10:39 AM
The question was .....Who was the best QB to play 3A ball the last 10 years? Not who was the best QB to have won a championship in the past 10 years . I stick to my pick of McGee

Ditto.

Hansum Stranger
11-05-2006, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by sinton66
I agree, titles are the key.

So does that make Trent Dilfer a better QB than Dan Marino? Titles are won by a team, not neccessarly(sp) a great QB.

CenTexSports
11-05-2006, 11:16 AM
Billy Pittman was a four year starter at Cameron and even though he was not a by the book quarterback, he was one of the best athletes I have ever seen play the position. He could dominate a game in every aspects. His passing was above average but not great.

As for as playing in the state championship, Cameron missed going there by two missed extra points against Marlin I think (quartefinals actually).

Underwater Basketweaver
11-05-2006, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Hansum Stranger
So does that make Trent Dilfer a better QB than Dan Marino? Titles are won by a team, not neccessarly(sp) a great QB.

double ditto....state championships do not make a quarterback. How many GREAT qb's has celina had? Rephrase the question if you want the best state championship QBs. That limits you to 40 QBs in the last 10 years. 20 Div. I and 20 Div. II, and if you only choose from the winners then you only have 20. So why ask a question like that if you only choose from 20 players.

Pudlugger
11-05-2006, 11:25 AM
....to me if I am gonna pick a QB for a big game I want a guy who has done it and won the big games....

Tye Gunn from La Grange.

He lead the Leps to the State Championsip.
He engineered a 96 yard drive late in the 4th down 17-14 against the highly rated Forney defense for the go ahead td. He then iced the game with a 4th and one conversion in the last 1:30 of the game from his own 21 yardline knowing Forney had Blanton and a very reliable kicker if he failed. He had over 2000 yards rushing and 1700 yards passing that season.

All State qb 3a (second team behind Philip Dougherty)

All Centex MVP.

big daddy russ
11-05-2006, 11:48 AM
Philip Daughtery
Adrian Alaniz
Tye Gunn
Stephen McGee
Case Keenum
Michael Carillo
GJ Kinne
Japus Brown
Billy Pittman
The Benton kid from Everman
Kyle Noack
Chandler Dane

Kids that I've heard of and some that I've seen.

EAGLE9166
11-05-2006, 11:51 AM
Stephen Hodge of Tatum and Pollard who won it all last year in AAA

bandera7
11-05-2006, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Philip Daughtery
Adrian Alaniz
Tye Gunn
Stephen McGee
Case Keenum
Michael Carillo
GJ Kinne
Japus Brown
Billy Pittman
The Benton kid from Everman
Kyle Noack
Chandler Dane

Kids that I've heard of and some that I've seen.

Noack is without a doubt a good quarterback, but I dont think he can go on this list. When we played Cuero, Noack got some great YAC from Grey and Scott. Some of his deep balls werent so good. He is a great athlete though, capable of doing it in more than one way.

Emerson1
11-05-2006, 01:46 PM
Caleb Hanie(Forney) was pretty good. The only 3a qb(except McGee) that I know of who is at playing at a d1 school.

Old Tiger
11-05-2006, 01:50 PM
Would Kinne have led Canyon to the Championship had he not tranferred that's the question ... I guess we will never know. But you know the saying...a QB is only as good as the people around him.

Matthew328
11-05-2006, 01:54 PM
IMO championships are what defines the great QB's.....in the NFL Tom Brady will always be regarded as better than Peyton Manning because he has won 3 titles....

Maybe I shoulda started a thread "If I had one game to win who would I want to QB for that game"

Hansum Stranger
11-05-2006, 02:23 PM
IMO championships are what defines the great QB's.....in the NFL Tom Brady will always be regarded as better than Peyton Manning because he has won 3 titles....

Back to my last question, would you rather have Trent Dilfer, Payton Manning or Dan Marino?

eagles_victory
11-05-2006, 02:33 PM
Jeremy Sanders was a good quarterback not the best in the last ten years but he might be top 20. Jeremy Modkins from Marlin also wasnt too bad.

This year Cody Wilson from Groesbeck is very underrated if he had the talent around him that some of the other players like Noack and Kinne have you would be hearing his name a lot.

Matthew328
11-05-2006, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Hansum Stranger
Back to my last question, would you rather have Trent Dilfer, Payton Manning or Dan Marino?

There are always exceptions to the rule if you look hard enough....I could easily come back and say would you rather have Manning, Marino or Montana??

For the most past the great QB's IMO are defined by championships..I'll take a guy who can win the big one any day over the guy who puts up big numbers but doesn't lead his team to victory in the big one...

bandera7
11-05-2006, 03:01 PM
When it comes to Montana, Marino, or Manning...well I would rather have Montana than any other quarterback in history, he was the fiercest competitor there was, and he knew how to get the W. That goes back to his days at Notre Dame, throwing up in the locker room, having a terrible cold, and coming out and finding a way to beat Houston for the Nationaly Championship. I would always rather have a quarterback like that then anybody else, no matter how good their numbers.

big daddy russ
11-05-2006, 05:00 PM
When it comes to Montana, Marino, or Manning...well I would rather have Montana than any other quarterback in history, he was the fiercest competitor there was, and he knew how to get the W. That goes back to his days at Notre Dame, throwing up in the locker room, having a terrible cold, and coming out and finding a way to beat Houston for the Nationaly Championship. I would always rather have a quarterback like that then anybody else, no matter how good their numbers.
I'd take Otto Graham over Montana as far as big game QBs go.

NDFootball
11-05-2006, 05:01 PM
the guy who puts up big numbers but doesn't lead his team to victory in the big one...

COUGH PEYTON MANNING COUGH COUGH

Pudlugger
11-05-2006, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
JJeremy Modkins from Marlin also wasnt too bad.

Jeremy Modkins from Marlin was a great qb. I saw him play in the semi-final against La Grange and Tye Gunn in 2000 at WISD. It was something to see those two on the field in the same game.