PDA

View Full Version : Celina 35 Prosper 7 Game Story

bobcat1
11-04-2006, 08:21 AM
Celina sees spread, then figures out how to beat it

02:13 AM Central Standard Time on Saturday, November 4, 2006

By DAVID HINOJOSA / The Dallas Morning News

CELINA – It might not have been Celina's finest hour, but Friday's effort was more than enough to turn away upset-minded Prosper, 35-7, at Bobcat Field.

Celina (9-0, 6-0 District 9-3A) found itself locked in a tough battle in the first half after it appeared destined to deliver an early knockout blow to Prosper.

Celina quickly took a 14-0 lead by scoring on its first two possessions. Senior running back Shane Sheffield rumbled 58 yards for a score that gave Celina the two-touchdown advantage at the 7:04 mark of the first quarter.

That's when things got strange for Celina and the momentum began shifting – albeit momentarily – toward Prosper.

Prosper unveiled an unorthodox offensive scheme with plenty of shifting. Essentially, Prosper (7-2, 5-1) bunched up before shifting to a spread formation. All this was done to spread Celina's defense so Prosper could punch forward with the run.

The shifting confused Celina, and Prosper took advantage. Fuller Bates sprung the big play – a 45-yard run that set up quarterback Tyler Toney's 1-yard scoring plunge that cut the score to 14-7 late in the first quarter.

"We had seen a lot of different things [on tape], but we hadn't seen that," Celina coach Butch Ford said of Prosper's shifting scheme.

Celina eventually adjusted to the scheme and allowed 36 yards and one first down in the second half.

"I don't think it was our best game, but the quality of our opponent had a lot to do with it," Ford said. "We played much better in the second half."

Celina put the game away with a punishing running game. Sophomore Charley Waldrep rushed 19 times for 119 yards and three touchdowns, giving him 20 for the season. Junior D'Anton Lynn accounted for Celina's other score.

Celina snapped Prosper's seven-game winning streak. Celina also captured at least a share of the district championship. Celina can capture the outright title with a win at Whitesboro next week.

Celina also held its seventh opponent to seven or fewer points and has outscored its district competition, 293-27.

Leopards,class of 75
11-04-2006, 09:22 AM
It looks like Celina is having a hard time adjusting to 3-A football.

Antec
11-04-2006, 11:28 AM
Kent Scott who was at East Bernard last year, is doing a heck of a job at Prosper

They'll still make the playoffs

VWG
11-04-2006, 11:44 AM
Prosper or Celina.... which town is seeing the most growth out of DFW expansion? Which school is the next Little Elm? From 2A to 3A... and then wham! 4A and now I hear they are talking about building another high school in Little Elm.

Fletch
11-04-2006, 12:19 PM
I was disappointed in Prosper. The coach played to keep the score close, not to win.

How else do you explain 5 passes total for the entire game? He also ran the play clock down to 1 second twice before calling time outs..... trailing by 2 touchdowns?:eek:

He had some good formations and plays that caught the Bobcats by surprise a couple of times, but he never opened up the offense and gave his boys a chance to win. Sad.

The players were also much dirtier than any Prosper team I have seen. Late hits at the Celina players knees on many occasions. They even had a player do a "flop" after a play to draw a personal foul. He looked like a basketball player! It worked too!:D

kepdawg
11-04-2006, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by VWG
Prosper or Celina.... which town is seeing the most growth out of DFW expansion? Which school is the next Little Elm? From 2A to 3A... and then wham! 4A and now I hear they are talking about building another high school in Little Elm.

I talked with a Prosper administrator about a year ago and he said they anticipated spending 1 alignment in 3A before moving up to 4A. I'm not sure if that is still a realistic possibility or not. If that happens it would crazy to be in the Class of 09 and start at a 2A high school and graduate from a 4A high school!

bobcat1
11-04-2006, 01:26 PM
I talked with a Prosper administrator about a year ago and he said they anticipated spending 1 alignment in 3A before moving up to 4A. I'm not sure if that is still a realistic possibility or not. If that happens it would crazy to be in the Class of 09 and start at a 2A high school and graduate from a 4A high school!

I think that is pretty accurate. Celina is kinda land locked. It may be a while making it to 4A. Looks like 3A is gonna be stuck with us a while. I like Fletch's reflection on the "Flop" It really did work and I was amazed that it did. LMAO.

Late hits at the Celina players knees on many occasions.
Now those were not funny. Sometimes Celina Linemen were called for their reaction to the late knee shots. I really wish that didn't happen, but it does and always has. :mad: