PDA

View Full Version : Gobblers Air It Out

Gobbler Fan
11-04-2006, 08:00 AM
Air It Out
Cuero's Noack Throws For 277 Yards In Win Over Gonzales
November 04, 2006 - Posted at 12:00 a.m.
MIKE FORMAN - ADVOCATE SPORTS WRITER

CUERO - Cuero quarterback Kyle Noack doesn't need a calendar to know the season.

"This is the time of the year when we need to start peaking," Noack said. "We need to play our best games as we get ready for the playoffs."

Noack passed for 277 yards and four touchdowns to lead the Cuero to a 37-0 District 29-3A win over Gonzales on Friday night at Gobbler Stadium.

Cuero, ranked No. 1 in the Associated Press' Class 3A poll, improved to 9-0 on the season and 3-0 in district while wrapping up at least a share of their fifth straight district championship.

"That's how you come out to play when you're trying to win a district championship," Cuero coach Mark Reeve said. "We played our best football game when we needed to."

The Gobblers had 26 first downs, 503 yards of offense and punted only once against the Apaches (3-7. 3-1), while extending their regular-season winning streak to 37 games.

Cuero appears headed for a bi-district rematch with Sinton, a team it beat 29-0 in the season opener, and Noack showed he's prepared for the postseason by completing 13 of 16 passes and had six completions of 20 yards or more.

"We were working on some deep shots all week," Noack said. "We got some man coverage and we were able to take advantage of it."

Noack and Tre Gray teamed up seven times for 165 yards and three touchdowns. Gray was seeing his most extensive action since returning from an injury he suffered against Bay City.

"I was going full force," Gray said. "We needed a game like that. It was the game that decided district and my last game on the field and I loved every minute of it."

After missing a field goal attempt on its first possession, Cuero scored the next four times it had the ball to take a 23-0 lead into halftime.

Noack threw a 4-yard touchdown pass to Gray in the first quarter and the pair combined for a 46-yard touchdown in the second quarter. Steven Bell kicked a 19-yard field goal following a Blake Pickett interception, and Jake Rangnow added a 1-yard touchdown run.

"They got on us early," said Gonzales coach Bruce Salmon, whose team completed the regular season and will likely play Ingleside in a Division I bi-district game. "They beat us in a couple of one-on-one situations and put pressure on quarterback and those are things we need to eliminate. They went out and executed in areas that hurt us. It was a bad night for us and a good night for them."

The Apaches' only drive inside the Cuero 40-yard line came late in the second quarter when they reached the 10 before Patrick Bell sacked Gonzales quarterback Jacob Bird and knocked the ball loose on the final play of the first half.

Cuero put the finishing touches on the win when Noack, who was 6 of 7 for 124 yards in the second half, threw touchdown passes of 50 yards to Gray in the third quarter and 29 yards to Corey Scott in the fourth quarter.

"I don't how much more you can say about Kyle," Reeve said. "He's just been phenomenal for us."

Fabian Olguin carried 18 times for 119 yards for the Gobblers, who will try to wrap up their third consecutive undefeated regular season next week at Goliad.

"Our kids played really well," Reeve said. "This was the last game for the seniors on our field and they were really intent on winning this thing and leaving no doubt. That's what our kids did."

Individual Statistics

Rushing - Gonzales, Jerome Espinoza 19-84; Ryan Russell 4-19; Jacob Bird 8-18; Marshall Lambrecht 2-(-10). Cuero, Fabian Olguin 18-119; Marty Vega 7-38; Jake Rangnow 6-22; Kyle Noack 3-16; Jake Speed 3-15; Tre Gray 1-10; Stephon Hargrove 4-6; Team 1-0.

Passing - Gonzales, Bird 9-25-1 110; Team 0-1-0 0. Cuero, Noack 13-16-0 277; Corey Scott 0-1-0 0.

Receiving - Gonzales, Ckody Burton 6-78; Landon Bozka 2-21; Lambrecht 1-11. Cuero, Gray 7-165; Scott 3-77; Ace Slone 2-13; Olguin 1-22.

44INAROW
11-04-2006, 08:53 AM
I counted 60 yards of personal fouls for the Apaches - how far off am I? 30 of them back to back on the same play. The faskmask penalty on Corion in the MIDDLE of the Gobbler sidelines was unreal. If the guy did that, on the sidelines in front of the team and fans, no telling what was going on on the field :eek: I was proud of the Gobblers for not responding and getting suckered into a brawl. They knew it was coming and kept their composure :clap:

Mean Green Fan
11-04-2006, 09:35 AM
Cuero could have scored alot more. Coach Reeves ran the ball alot to hold the score down and then played the 2nd string in the 4th Qtr.:)

Gobbler Fan
11-04-2006, 09:40 AM
How bout the punch/gouge to the eyes personal foul on Gonzales after a Cuero TD by our Soph. RB. . Cuero held their composure and made Gonzales look like a bunch of thug's last night kudo's to the Gobbler's .

Cameron Crazy
11-04-2006, 09:43 AM
Noack=Greatness!

SintonFan_inAustin
11-04-2006, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Cameron Crazy
Noack=Greatness!

his deep passing was the difference in sinton and cuero first game of the year and that sinton ran all their plays up the middle.

Geat win Gobblers, looks like Pirates get yall in the first round :( unless Orange Grove losses and Sinton wins next week.

Gobbla2001
11-04-2006, 11:51 AM
I know #62 should have been out of the game long before all was said and done... they missed one play where he swung at Hargrove after the whistle... then he had Cory Scott down blocking him (which I guess it legal) but was pretty much beating his head into the ground like he was fighting Cory... that drew a person foul, Cory jumped up and must have yelled "What the dirty-word" and him and got personal fouled himself... I'm afraid most would have done more than that...

great job of not getting drawn into that BS dirty-ball Gobblers, unless of course Tre Gray catching passes from Noack is dirty ;)

Gobbla2001
11-04-2006, 11:54 AM
Tre Gray hauling in a 45 yd TD pass:

http://www.thevictoriaadvocate.com/media/2006/11/04/03/cuero_gonzalesfootball_027.standalone.jpg
(Victoria Advocate picture)

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
11-04-2006, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Cameron Crazy
Noack=Greatness!

That's my cousin. :D

infamous
11-04-2006, 11:56 AM
ahhhhh cuero turkey's

Gobbla2001
11-04-2006, 12:00 PM
and that sack at the end of the first half??? DEAR LORD... that QB must have the strongest back because it should have broke... due to my angle (on the fence) the Gobbler sideline was blocking my view of the right side of the field, then all of the sudden I saw a blur of green, heard a loud pop and saw the QB get drilled... wow...

GreenMachine
11-04-2006, 12:04 PM
Cuero is definitely getting ready for a deeeeep playoff run! :clap:

gobbler grad
11-04-2006, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by GreenMachine
Cuero is definitely getting ready for a deeeeep playoff run! :clap:

one more warm up game next week before we start the playoff run...:thinking:

GreenGobbla
11-04-2006, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
Tre Gray hauling in a 45 yd TD pass:

http://www.thevictoriaadvocate.com/media/2006/11/04/03/cuero_gonzalesfootball_027.standalone.jpg
(Victoria Advocate picture)

wheres the guy that was covering him?

Gobbla2001
11-04-2006, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by GreenGobbla
wheres the guy that was covering him?

there were two guys covering him, but they were choking in Tre's exaust around that time...

gobbler grad
11-04-2006, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
there were two guys covering him, but they were choking in Tre's exaust around that time...

actually, I believe there were three of them...:thinking:

Highschoolfan78
11-04-2006, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by gobbler grad
actually, I believe there were three of them...:thinking:

Is that the TD where he cut back and made all of them look ridiculous late in the game? that was unbelievable

gobbler grad
11-04-2006, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Highschoolfan78
Is that the TD where he cut back and made all of them look ridiculous late in the game? that was unbelievable

that was it...Gonzales was...:confused: :confused: :confused:and then they said "not again"...:doh: and Tre said ...":wave: later dudes...:crazy1:

JT44
11-04-2006, 04:44 PM
Wasn't that the flea flicker play

44INAROW
11-04-2006, 10:10 PM
Balanced Attack for the Gobblers

Interesting stats (not sure if these stats are updated with last night's game stats or are through week 8)

Cuero HS
1803 yards Rushing
1800 yards Passing
3603 total yards

23 rushing touchdowns
23 passing touchdowns
1 - other

wooden bear
11-04-2006, 10:26 PM
That is about as balanced as you can get.