PDA

View Full Version : Texas Pledge of Allegiance

sinton66
08-17-2003, 11:23 PM
Honor the Texas flag. I pledge allegiance to thee Texas, one and indivisible.

A new law in Texas will require students to say two pledges, one to the US flag, one to the Texas flag. Be Honest, how many of you knew the Texas Pledge? I don't remember hearing of it before.

<small>[ August 18, 2003, 03:41 PM: Message edited by: sinton66 ]</small>

Blackcat03
08-18-2003, 01:08 AM
I don't remember it but I think it's pretty cool. I just got back the other day from going through Oklahoma, Missouri, and Illinois, and this is the only place I would wanna live.

spiveyrat
08-18-2003, 06:38 AM
I didn't know Texas had a pledge.

Chief Woodman
08-18-2003, 08:01 AM
Careful 66- this could be a urban legend, With the redistricting fiasco, I doubt they got to something like this. Even if they did, if it would have passed it would have been big news. What is your source for this information? Did you check the state website to verify?

jason
08-18-2003, 09:05 AM
i knew it...we used to have to say the texas and american pledges every day at school...

CHS_Grad '85
08-18-2003, 09:24 AM
Chief Woodman:
Careful 66- this could be a urban legend, With the redistricting fiasco, I doubt they got to something like this. Even if they did, if it would have passed it would have been big news. What is your source for this information? Did you check the state website to verify?sinton66 is right - check out SB 83, Section 25.082 of the TX Ed Code... it also calls for a minute of silence...

<small>[ August 18, 2003, 09:24 AM: Message edited by: CHS_Grad '85 ]</small>

Ranger Mom
08-18-2003, 09:42 AM
I know the Greenwood Elementary and Intermediate School has always said both!!

Phil C
08-18-2003, 01:06 PM
"Honor the Texas Flag. I pledge allegiance to thee Texas, one and indivisible." I knew because I hear it at meetings that I have to attend sometimes. They say both pledges and have a moment of silence.

sinton66
08-18-2003, 03:31 PM
My source was The Old Coach. Saw TxMike post the actual pledge. If I ever knew Texas had a pledge, guess I forgot about it. And yes, it does provide for a moment of silence also.

JasperDog94
08-18-2003, 03:34 PM
I knew it, but of course I also taught for 4 years. We said the Texas and American pledge everyday, but we never had a moment of silence.

On another note, how many of you have been to football games where, in the moment of silence, you can hear people reciting "The Lord's Prayer"?

sinton66
08-18-2003, 03:38 PM
Here's what I saw on Old Coach:

Effective September 1st, Texas students will pledge allegiance to 2 flags!!!!!

For more information reference herewith excerpt(s) taken from local news source:

Effective Sept. 1, a new state law requires schoolchildren to recite the pledge of allegiance to the U.S. flag, followed by the pledge to the Texas flag.

Rep. Sarah T. Hughes authored a bill in the 43rd legislative session, providing for a state pledge of allegiance.

The bill making the recitation of the pledge a requirement was authored by Sen. Jeff Wentworth, R-San Antonio, who said it would foster a love of country and state.

<small>[ August 18, 2003, 03:39 PM: Message edited by: sinton66 ]</small>

duckbutter
08-18-2003, 04:13 PM
Newton Elementary says both pledges.

JasperDog94
08-18-2003, 04:24 PM
How long before the ACLU jumps all over this one? :mad:

Atl_Rabb_Fan
08-18-2003, 04:31 PM
I heard that in Dainerfield they have IN GOD WE TRUST in the High School cafeteria.

<small>[ August 18, 2003, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: Atl_Rabb_Fan ]</small>

riverboat gambler
08-18-2003, 08:36 PM
I have been in Van, Texas for 17 years and we have always said the pledge to both flags.

sinton66
08-18-2003, 09:01 PM
The more I think about this, the more I find myself in favor of it. Texans don't need anything more to be proud of, being born here speaks for itself, but if we repeat it in public all the other states will get more jealous! wink

Old Tiger
08-18-2003, 09:04 PM
I didn't even know there was one.

CHS_CG
08-18-2003, 09:29 PM
I know today when they told us we had to say the Texas Pledge I was like TexasPledge.....never heard it before. Our school made us practice the pledges and he had our ONE MINUTE of peace.

Chief Woodman
08-18-2003, 10:10 PM
I stand corrected. Heard on WBAP that not only did it pass, but proper way to do said is to place hand on heart for USA pledge, Hand upraised for Texas pledge. Is that true?

TarponFanInNorthTexas
08-18-2003, 10:21 PM
I never knew a Texas pledge of allegiance even existed, let alone the words to it. But now that I know, i'll do my best to memorize the Texas Pledge and use it whenever the opportunity arises.

Now, is it the right hand in the air, or left? I've seen some people have their right hand up, but in a fist.

Owen B
08-18-2003, 10:28 PM
Never heard of it before. Don't much like it.

slpybear the bullfan
08-18-2003, 10:47 PM
TarponFanInNorthTexas:
Now, is it the right hand in the air, or left? I've seen some people have their right hand up, but in a fist.Welllll... I am guessing that raising your right hand in a fist is probably NOT the idea, LOL.

Yeah, I love the pledge of allegiance, both National and State. There is nothing wrong with asking our citizens to do this. All that violation of Civil Rights stuff in regards to pledging your allegiance to your native/adopted country is really trite. No one is asking anybody to wrap themselves in the flag and become a yes man to the government. It is just a simple pledge to show where you are a citizen of.

How about a pledge of allegiance to smoked pork ribs? I love to mariante 'em, smoke 'em, eat 'em, and bragg about 'em...

"I pledge allegiance, to the pork rib, that was smoked in my New Braufels smoker, and to the pig, that gave us this hallowed fruit to indulge... hand-rubbed, special spices, with oak and mesquite, and 12 hours of cooking, for all."

Gentlemen, start your cookers!

sinton66
08-19-2003, 06:38 AM
Good one, Slpybear. Personally, I'd leave the oak on the tree, but to each his own. Tenderloin turns out pretty good on the New Braunfels smoker too. Heck, I've even smoked bacon on mine. I had a stainless pan made to fit the bottom of the smoking chamber, works like a champ. wink

slpybear the bullfan
08-19-2003, 11:15 PM
Hmmm... stainless pan, I need to think about that. That is a great idea! I have my firebox lined with heavy duty foil to make cleanup a snap. I also have a small aluminum pan of water I place between the firebox and smoker chamber to act as a heat baffle. It works like a champ!

Well, I like the oak as long as it is seasoned. Of course, I leave the meats unwrapped to smoke for the first 4~5 hours, then I wrap in Foil and cook another 12~18 depending on the meat. And yes, I could become religious about my Pork Ribs!!!! Hallelujah!!!!

slpybear

ps - my best secret? spread yellow mustard thinly over your meats the night before, then hand rub with your favorite spices. Stick in Fridge, 24 hrs later, start your cooking.

slpybear the bullfan
08-19-2003, 11:18 PM
Oh yeah, 66, I almost forgot. This year I am gonna try to smoke my own turkey for Thanksgiving. Never have tried that before. I may cajun marinate it with Garlic, Onions, butter, and cayenne, then smoke it.

sinton66
08-20-2003, 07:11 AM
I've smoked turkey before, and that pit does a pretty good job. I usually line one rack in the cooking chamber with HD foil and place it just above the opening to spread the heat. Punch a few holes in the center of it to let the drippings go into the SS pan. My pan is made to fit kinda snug right in the bottom of the chamber. Makes clean-up much easier. For injection, I like the "Roasted Garlic and Herb" marinade. I've even used that on T-bones and ribeyes. With the steak in a zip-lock freezer bag, just pour some in and let it marinate. Then I sprinkle a custom "Voodoo" spice mixture (close to a brisket rub) on the steak and grill directly over the coals. If you like sauces, and haven't tried this one, you need to. Meir Ranch Foods in Fredricksburg makes a BBQ sauce that is the best I've ever tasted. I even use it for steak sauce occasionally. It's called "Texas Wild". I buy it by the case over the internet. They also have one with a Pecan flavor. It's expensive, $5.00 a jar, but well worth it!

www.meirranchfoods.com (http://www.meirranchfoods.com)

Atl_Rabb_Fan
08-20-2003, 11:36 AM
Man your making me hungry

20dawgz05
08-20-2003, 07:50 PM
I didnt know it......i think its cool that they added a moment of silence and that the pricipal actualy said we could pray during it!!!!!!!!!

slpybear the bullfan
08-20-2003, 10:36 PM
I like the idea of that pan. I need to take some measurements and then go over to the shop and see what they have laying around.

I am not usually a sauce man on Barbeque. I love it so tender and tasty that you forego the sauce, but, there are times when I crave it. Especially on poultry. Most things that come out of Fredericksburg are tasty, so I will have to look that up this weekend when I am down that way.

sinton66
08-21-2003, 06:46 AM
My original idea was to make it a combination drip pan and heat spreader. My measurements made it just a little too big to slide into the slot above the opening from the firebox, but it fit just fine in the bottom. I'm still thinking about re-doing it within the original concept. I've got a place in Tomball that made them for me at $45.00 apiece. ( gave one to my son-in-law also.) Needs about 1/4 inch clearance on all sides, I think.

<small>[ August 21, 2003, 06:47 AM: Message edited by: sinton66 ]</small>