PDA

View Full Version : Cuban's antics spur new code of conduct for owners.....

luvhoops34
11-03-2006, 11:49 AM
I think this is a good thing! It's about time owners like Cuban are held accountable for their actions. Maybe if he keeps opening his mouth he'll get barred from games.

Web Posted: 11/03/2006 12:22 AM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

DALLAS — Oh, the memories. The last time Bruce Bowen walked off the floor at American Airlines Center, he was greeted by a curt, two-word curse from Dallas owner Mark Cuban.

Cuban immediately sent a Mavericks employee to the Spurs' locker room to apologize to Bowen. He also approached Bowen before Game 7 and asked if he had received the apology. When Bowen questioned its sincerity, Cuban apologized again.

The Spurs, however, haven't forgotten the incident.

"It was pretty unbelievable," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "There might be an irate fan somewhere in the U.S. that might do something like that, but you wouldn't expect that from an owner."

The NBA is developing a code of conduct for owners. Spurs chairman Peter Holt said Cuban's incident with Bowen didn't spur the policy as much as his on-court complaints about officiating.

Holt said the league would be "two-faced" if it didn't hold owners to a similar standard as players. During the recent Board of Governors meeting in New York, the owners were told the NBA ranked last in "on-court and off-court professionalism" among the four major U.S. professional sports leagues, Holt said.

"Our whole thought process as owners is, 'How can we ask everybody to be one way and we're not willing to live under essentially the same code of conduct?'" Holt said.

Holt also said he understands why Cuban would think the policy is directed at him.

"I think Mark has been the most prime example of acting out at times," said Holt, who later bolted out of his sideline chair to yell at an official for a traveling call on Tony Parker. "We all love Mark. He's turned this franchise around. He's brought a lot of good attention to the league with the things he's done.

"But I think the sense of frustration for the owners is that we're not having discussions first internally."

Phil C
11-03-2006, 11:57 AM
I would rather they emphasize enforcing the rules on a consistent basis. If it is travel call it no matter if it is a super start like Kobe. If it is a foul call it no matter if it is Shaq or anyone else. If a player palms the ball call the infraction. Be consistent and call it both ways.

If NBA is a sport say so. If it is entertainment to the extent that rules don't count and favoritism is allowed say so.

Be honest.

And the NBA champions are NBA champions. A great honor. But they are not World Champions. The World Games have proven that.

DU_stud04
11-03-2006, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
I would rather they emphasize enforcing the rules on a consistent basis. If it is travel call it no matter if it is a super start like Kobe. If it is a foul call it no matter if it is Shaq or anyone else. If a player palms the ball call the infraction. Be consistent and call it both ways.

If NBA is a sport say so. If it is entertainment to the extent that rules don't count and favoritism is allowed say so.

Be honest.

And the NBA champions are NBA champions. A great honor. But they are not World Champions. The World Games have proven that.

the sinton godfater has spoken:clap: :clap: :clap:

kepdawg
11-03-2006, 12:03 PM
From the little bit I have seen of the NBA this year, I don't think I will be watching many games.

handNthedirt
11-03-2006, 12:28 PM
Remember Kids, JUST SAY NO...to thump thump.

wimbo_pro
11-03-2006, 12:29 PM
To compare the World Games to the NBA champs is not a fair comparison. If you take the NBA champs to the World Games, I think it wouldnt even be a close contest. A team that has played together for a year or more is far different from a team thrown together at the last minute.

This is why I think we should go back to sending college players to the World Games and the Olympics. Have them practice as a team for the better part of a year and then we will see what we can do.

g$$
11-03-2006, 01:33 PM
Agreed. We have taken a step back on the world stage but those teams play together much longer than our guys. To win again we must change the way we do things & put together a team ready for international competition.

The NBA says it will enforce traveling & palming the ball this year (we'll see...). I just wish they would enforce the rules too, Phil C. Kids of today are confused as to what the rules are, thus you see Streetball almost everywhere now. That is not basketball to me or anyone else who used to love the game.

Naismith must be rolling over in his grave.

GreenMonster
11-03-2006, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by handNthedirt
Remember Kids, JUST SAY NO...to thump thump.

Thump thump is the devil!

awizzy
11-03-2006, 01:48 PM
i love mark cuban

Tiger3
11-03-2006, 02:22 PM
I do like the passion that Cuban shows for the game, but sometimes he does seem to go a little overboard.

Snydertigersrul
11-03-2006, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Tiger3
I do like the passion that Cuban shows for the game, but sometimes he does seem to go a little overboard.

Mark Cuban is a great owner. What's wrong in showing support for your team. He's also a fan. He NEVER has got overboard. The refs deserve all of that criticism. Maybe if someone doesn't like it, they need to go down and apply for manager at the local Dairy Queen.

westtxfballfan
11-03-2006, 04:38 PM
Cuban's a jerk that frequently goes overboard. He's a done a world of good for the franchise, but it doesn't excuse his antics.

Snydertigersrul
11-03-2006, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by westtxfballfan
Cuban's a jerk that frequently goes overboard. He's a done a world of good for the franchise, but it doesn't excuse his antics.

It's a matter of opinion, but he's one of the reasons that the NBA is a great as it is today. He's not afraid to challenge the so-called brass and point out their mistakes.

westtxfballfan
11-03-2006, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Snydertigersrul
It's a matter of opinion, but he's one of the reasons that the NBA is a great as it is today. He's not afraid to challenge the so-called brass and point out their mistakes.

I wouldn't call the NBA great, but he's peaked my interest. I watch a little each summer - the playoffs only, like 90% of the fans - rooting against them when I do despite my appreciation and admiration of Avery Johnson and some of the players, 'cause I can't stand the idea of that jerk having a championship.

Snydertigersrul
11-03-2006, 04:45 PM
I wouldn't call the NBA great, but he's peaked my interest. I watch a little each summer - the playoffs only, like 90% of the fans - rooting against them when I do despite my appreciation and admiration of Avery Johnson and some of the players, 'cause I can't stand the idea of that jerk having a championship.

He will be lifting that trophy next summer as David Stern falls out with a heart attack because he has to give it to him.

3afan
11-03-2006, 04:47 PM

and you probably hate the Cowboys because of what Jerry Jones "did to Tom Landry", eh?

Snydertigersrul
11-03-2006, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
and you probably hate the Cowboys because of what Jerry Jones "did to Tom Landry", eh?

:clap:

westtxfballfan
11-03-2006, 04:54 PM

Not for what he did to Landry, just didn't like Jones much anyway.

3afan
11-03-2006, 05:03 PM
well, despite people's opinions ..... most NBA fans would absolutely LOVE to have an owner like Cuban. Yes, he probably should tone it down a bit, but the Mavs would not be where they are now without him.

http://www.nba.com/media/mavericks/logowallpaper_05_tmb.jpg

westtxfballfan
11-03-2006, 05:11 PM
well, despite people's opinions ..... most NBA fans would absolutely LOVE to have an owner like Cuban. Yes, he probably should tone it down a bit, but the Mavs would not be where they are now without him.

http://www.nba.com/media/mavericks/logowallpaper_05_tmb.jpg

Agreed. He's the reason they compete for the title every year. We both know, however, that if he was the owner of some non-Texas team, people around here wouldn't care much for him and wouldn't excuse the antics as much as they do now. it's a tradeoff: the he's a passionate, good owner whose players love him and they play well for him, and he's an occasional jerk.

Emerson1
11-03-2006, 05:22 PM
He is one of the few owners that actually care about the team winning. He is a self made millionaire, he didn't inherit it from daddy like the spurs owner did.

Here is a good article about this.

MAVERICKS NOTESCuban a grad of NBA's Stern U.
By DWAIN PRICE and MERCEDES MAYER
Star-Telegram Staff WriterS

DALLAS - Mavericks owner Mark Cuban said he's a changed man.

In an interview before Thursday's regular-season opener against San Antonio, Cuban said he's going to do his best to become a team player and be just like the other 29 NBA owners. He e-mailed NBA commissioner David Stern to inform him of his newfound attitude.

"I feel blessed," Cuban said. "I was able to see the light, and I'm reborn.

"It's no longer Mark Cuban the benefactor. It's Mark Cuban the David Stern disciple. And I say that with all seriousness."

Cuban became irate after the NBA recently implemented a code of conduct for the owners that he believed was directed at him. The league has instructed him not to leave his baseline seat and go into the Mavs' huddles any more.

"I thought I was just some schlep on the sidelines enjoying the game," Cuban said. "Now it's just the other benefit of going to school at the University of David Stern.

"Maybe one night I'll be like [Phoenix Suns owner] Robert Sarver, and another night I'll be up in the suites."

Asked if he knew how to get to his suite, Cuban said: "No. I need directions."

"There's 29 folks I can learn quite a bit from, and I plan on doing it," he said. "Maybe the commissioner will have a follow-around day.

"That would be really cool. Shadow [Stern] for a day. Take Mark to Work Day.

"I can't be thankful enough for the league in helping me become a better manager and a better owner. Now I'll be like everybody else, and that's something special."

Popovich upset

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said it upset him that Mavs owner Mark Cuban cursed Spurs guard Bruce Bowen after Game 6 of last season's Western semifinal series.

"That's pretty unbelievable," Popovich said. "There might be a rabid, irate fan somewhere in the U.S. that might do something like that, and probably has.

"But you wouldn't expect that from an owner."

Cuban apologized to Bowen before Game 7.

George still out

Coach Avery Johnson said Devean George is still feeling "woozy" with a stomach illness, so George will not travel to Houston for Saturday's game.

Rivalry

The "hate" word was flying around leading up to the Spurs game, and Avery Johnson said the rivalry is great.

"I think it's awesome," Johnson said. "The Mavericks, for years, we were trying to get to this level. How can you have that type of venom or competitiveness if you don't have two good teams? We'd hate to be two bad teams."

The Mavs and Spurs met 11 times last season with Dallas winning six games, including beating San Antonio in seven games in the second round of the playoffs.

Briefly

Referee Jess Kersey left the game with a cut on his chin after he was hit by the basketball with 1:59 left in the second quarter. He received stitches and did not return.

A moment of silence was observed before the game in memory of former Celtics coach, GM and president Red Auerbach, who died Saturday.

3afan
11-03-2006, 05:40 PM
Agreed. He's the reason they compete for the title every year. We both know, however, that if he was the owner of some non-Texas team, people around here wouldn't care much for him and wouldn't excuse the antics as much as they do now. it's a tradeoff: the he's a passionate, good owner whose players love him and they play well for him, and he's an occasional jerk.

yeah people always will tolerate their own .....