PDA

View Full Version : The rules of "Shotgun"

AggieJohn
11-03-2006, 11:00 AM
Section I - General Rules
1) The first person to yell "SHOTGUN" gets to ride in the front seat.
2) The remaining back seats may be divvied up in the same manner by being the first to call "back right seat", etc..
3) The word "shotgun" must be loud enough to be heard by at least one witness. If no witness is to be found, or in case of a tie, the driver has the final word. After all, it is most likely his car. (note: if it isn't his car, and the owner is present, the owner's decision is final. Owner must be sober, however, or he will defer his judgment to the driver.)
4) Early calls are strictly prohibited. All occupants of the vehicle (including the driver) must be outside of the building and directly on the way to the vehicle before shotgun may be called. Under no circumstances may a person call shotgun inside a building. For sake of simplicity, a garage is considered to be outside. Parking structures and detached garages are always considered as being outdoors, even if they are underground.
5) A person may only call shotgun for one way of a trip. Shotgun can never be called while inside a vehicle or still technically on the way to the first location. For example, one can not get out of a vehicle and call Shotgun for the return journey.
6) Being as how everyone is created equal, men have the same right as women to the front seat of the car. i.e. women don't own the front seat.
7) One is allowed to ride shotgun as many times as he can call it, but for himself only. No one can call shotgun for their slower friend, unless the friend has a speech or mental handicap that prevents them from calling it for themselves.
8) The driver has final say in all ties and disputes. The driver has the right to suspend or remove all shotgun privileges from one or more persons.

DU_stud04
11-03-2006, 11:16 AM
"shotgun!!!!"

HM33
11-03-2006, 11:17 AM
LoL, I always wanted to know the true rules to this :)

piratebg
11-03-2006, 11:18 AM
This would have really been helpful for me like 7 years ago. :)

DU_stud04
11-03-2006, 11:22 AM
The history of calling "Shotgun" goes back to the days of covered wagons and the Wild West. On a trip across the plains, the driver of a wagon would hold the reins of his horse team and concentrate on driving. This left him and the occupants of his wagon susceptible to sneak attacks from bandits and thieves. To avoid this atrocious circumstance it became necessary for one person to sit next to the driver with a shotgun and fend off the enemy.

Defending against bandits is no longer the priority of Shotgun however, but it has evolved into a pre-driving ritual that is experienced before almost every car ride across America and even the world. Because of the obvious evolution that has already occurred with Shotgun, we ask you to consider Shotgun as a living entity and be aware that it is always changing for the better good of society.

handNthedirt
11-03-2006, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by DU_stud04
....car ride across....the world.

Seriously?

DU_stud04
11-03-2006, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by handNthedirt
Seriously?

yea man.....

handNthedirt
11-03-2006, 12:47 PM
yea man.....

it would suck to be late calling shotgun on that trip, especially if youre over 6 ft and rolling in a hatchback.

mistanice
11-03-2006, 12:48 PM
The history of calling "Shotgun" goes back to the days of covered wagons and the Wild West. On a trip across the plains, the driver of a wagon would hold the reins of his horse team and concentrate on driving. This left him and the occupants of his wagon susceptible to sneak attacks from bandits and thieves. To avoid this atrocious circumstance it became necessary for one person to sit next to the driver with a shotgun and fend off the enemy.

Defending against bandits is no longer the priority of Shotgun however, but it has evolved into a pre-driving ritual that is experienced before almost every car ride across America and even the world. Because of the obvious evolution that has already occurred with Shotgun, we ask you to consider Shotgun as a living entity and be aware that it is always changing for the better good of society.

I saw this on Modern Marvels. The evolution of the shotgun.

AggieJohn
11-03-2006, 12:59 PM
who got shotgun on the hoover trip

Gobbla2001
11-03-2006, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn

that male stripper, tanya...

Just Watching
11-03-2006, 01:08 PM
Back in the day, I experienced several breeches of etiquit to some of these rules. Several times friends would call "shotgun" from inside the house, and several times someone would holler "Shotgun" and someone else would say, "OK, but I got it on the way back."
Generally that worked out, unless the person was too drunk to remember whether or not he had called "shotgun" in which case we learned it was always better to have that person in the back seat, or even better, the back of the pickup.
I know "Shotgun" is called in the movie "Dazed and Confused." I'll need to watch it to see if they obeyed the rules.

DU_stud04
11-03-2006, 01:09 PM

that male stripper, tanya... :evil:

DU_stud04
11-03-2006, 01:10 PM

naw, it was either jason, mark.....jason when i was driving and mark when jason was driving. that male stripper, tanya was in the back with t :D

BTEXDAD
11-03-2006, 01:34 PM

I can remember riding next to driver with a shotgun. Nowadays they call that a drive by. We called it spotlighting. :)

DU_stud04
11-03-2006, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by BTEXDAD
I can remember riding next to driver with a shotgun. Nowadays they call that a drive by. We called it spotlighting. :)

:doh: hahaha

Stownhorse
11-03-2006, 01:51 PM
"Shotgun!...Im only letting you have it because im going inside."

-Dazed and Cunfused :smoker:

Just Watching
11-03-2006, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Stownhorse
"Shotgun!...Im only letting you have it because im going inside."

-Dazed and Cunfused :smoker:

That Slater:)

JHS_c/o_06'
11-03-2006, 02:36 PM
And for my 900th post

...a few additions

* Everyone who is riding must be in view of said transportation device before shotgun can be called

* After everyone is in and buckled up, the person who won the right of shotgun has the chance to call "polly-walking dick-britches" which everyone knows is automatic shotgun on the ride back and all stops in betwee. It can only be countered with a call from the other passengers of " No Blitz "