PDA

View Full Version : Playing Football after High School

Pudlugger
11-02-2006, 07:25 PM
Most outstanding high school football players in 3a never get a scholarship to play at the next level. It might be due to the lethargy of 3a coaches to promote their players as it is not as much a factor in their success. It may be due to the fact that rural teams lack the press power to get out the names. It may be that the talent pool is so big the smaller schools are just overlooked. Bottom line, a lot of quality athletes in 3a never play on Saturday.

What about those guys who still want to play? Well, we have the community colleges. The DI recruiters will take a second look at many CC athletes. For those scholars who want to play football and attend a University or 4 year college you have DIII. If you love football you can continue your career. Consider it.:D

sinton66
11-02-2006, 07:29 PM
There's arena ball too. The new Corpus franchise says they are going to hold open try-outs.

Pudlugger
11-02-2006, 07:55 PM
For high school grads?

APierce248
11-02-2006, 08:19 PM
What about Intermural Flag Football, there are quite a lot of people who love football that are experiencing this sport.

handNthedirt
11-02-2006, 08:19 PM
they have a term for those unrecruited athletes you speak of: walk-ons

Pudlugger
11-03-2006, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by handNthedirt
they have a term for those unrecruited athletes you speak of: walk-ons

Good point. Walk-ons often excel in DI. It is a bit harder to make the grade but possible.
If a kid wants to play he should be encouraged to take the chance.:)

Old Tiger
11-03-2006, 09:55 AM
I'm bitter on this subject a few posters know why.

AggieJohn
11-03-2006, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by sinton66
There's arena ball too. The new Corpus franchise says they are going to hold open try-outs. arena football team had a Flour Bluff running back

AggieJohn
11-03-2006, 09:57 AM
stephen mcgee's a former 3a player

awizzy
11-03-2006, 10:02 AM
texas has a lot of 3a players jermichael finley deon besley....COLT MCCOY is from a 2a..billy pitman is from camreon i tought

Pudlugger
11-03-2006, 10:20 AM
True there are many 3a players who were recruited but much less than the larger schools. The very best 3a athletes usually get enough press for recruiters to venture out to the sticks to scout. However, for many excellent athletes there is little exposure in 3a. Combines help, and deep runs in the playoffs do as well. Many quality players never get that exposure, as their teams either don't make the playoffs or lose in the first three rounds. In 3a you need to get to the finals to get noticed in the metropolitan newspapers and tv. Most scouts stick to the city schools and don't know much about 3a.

LH Panther Mom
11-03-2006, 10:24 AM
Attending camps at some of the colleges help get notice as well, even if the camp is only for one day. :)

GreenMonster
11-03-2006, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
True there are many 3a players who were recruited but much less than the larger schools. The very best 3a athletes usually get enough press for recruiters to venture out to the sticks to scout. However, for many excellent athletes there is little exposure in 3a. Combines help, and deep runs in the playoffs do as well. Many quality players never get that exposure, as their teams either don't make the playoffs or lose in the first three rounds. In 3a you need to get to the finals to get noticed in the metropolitan newspapers and tv. Most scouts stick to the city schools and don't know much about 3a.

Sorry, I don't think it's about press coverage. Here is a good way to look at it. By percentage now. How many kids are in the total talent pool for 5A schools in Texas? A bunch right. The 3A talent pool (total students now not just athletes) is what, one tenth or less than one tenth the size of the 5A talent pool. If you look at it this way 3A may actually produce more D1 athletes percentage-wise than 5A does. I'm not saying that there aren't some 3A players that get overlooked that could play big time college football because there are but there are also countless 5A athletes that get overlooked as well.

AggieJohn
11-03-2006, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
Sorry, I don't think it's about press coverage. Here is a good way to look at it. By percentage now. How many kids are in the total talent pool for 5A schools in Texas? A bunch right. The 3A talent pool (total students now not just athletes) is what, one tenth or less than one tenth the size of the 5A talent pool. If you look at it this way 3A may actually produce more D1 athletes percentage-wise than 5A does. I'm not saying that there aren't some 3A players that get overlooked that could play big time college football because there are but there are also countless 5A athletes that get overlooked as well. part of the reason that 3a players and lower have so much trouble is that it's easy for recruiters too just go to major hubs like dallas or houston or San Antonio and recruit talent. They have to sometime go out of there way and drive a 2 hour drive to go to a place, and that's taxing when a player isn't as good as you hoped. But on the flipside, A&M did that with Jordan Peterson and it's payed dividends this year.

District303aPastPlayer
11-03-2006, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
arena football team had a Flour Bluff running back

dude, Fred Wallace is a beast... hands down. Nothing else to say...

handNthedirt
11-03-2006, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
part of the reason that 3a players and lower have so much trouble is that it's easy for recruiters too just go to major hubs like dallas or houston or San Antonio and recruit talent. They have to sometime go out of there way and drive a 2 hour drive to go to a place, and that's taxing when a player isn't as good as you hoped. But on the flipside, A&M did that with Jordan Peterson and it's payed dividends this year.

Don't college recruiters, and everyone else on the open road for that matter, have to drive through smaller towns to get to the bigger cities? IMO, kids from bigger schools get looked at more because with more students, there is more talent, and that is what these kids are competing against.

halfnhalf
11-03-2006, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by APierce248
What about Intermural Flag Football, there are quite a lot of people who love football that are experiencing this sport.
Intermural flag football is awesome, you can make your own team and anyone can play

HM33
11-03-2006, 11:27 AM
There are a lot of players that get "overlooked" that are in 3a becuase the size factor. I attend TLU (DIII) and we have a few all-state players (including myself) that are just small. (well I'm not small :P). They are amazing athletes but just don't have to size to play in the big schools.

But for a kid that just wants to continue to play football after High School and that didn't get any recruitment I would highly suggest a DIII school, but you will, in the end, have a better chance of playing there than being a "walk-on" at a bigger school.

pancho villa
11-03-2006, 11:41 AM
Ya'll don't have a clue how it works.

99IHSMustang
11-03-2006, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by pancho villa
Ya'll don't have a clue how it works.

Explain it to us ... oh wise one!!

DaHop72
11-03-2006, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by 99IHSMustang
Explain it to us ... oh wise one!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: