PDA

View Full Version : Carson Kainer going pro, leaving Texas baseball...

g$$
11-02-2006, 03:56 PM
**Bit of a surprise after the kidney transplant & was planning on returning to Texas for his senior year. Everything must be going well & he feels it is time to move on to pro baseball. Best of luck to him w/ the Reds & his health.

11/01/2006

Kainer signs pro contract

Carson Kainer

AUSTIN, Texas -- University of Texas baseball standout Carson Kainer has signed a professional contract with the Cincinnati Reds, the senior announced on Tuesday.

"I came to college to improve myself in baseball and as a person," Kainer said. "I think in my three years at Texas, I have done that. This has definitely been the three best years I've had in baseball and the team has provided me with an unbelievable experience. Now, I'm going to try to get to the Major Leagues, which has always been a dream of mine."

Kainer was a two-time All-Big 12 selection and a regular member of the Big 12 Commissioner's Honor Roll.

"We are extremely thankful for all of the time Carson spent as a member of our team," Texas head coach Augie Garrido said. "He performed extremely well as a player, as a leader and as a student. All around, he is a first-class Longhorn and we wish him the best of luck. We always support the decision of our players to pursue a professional career when they feel they are ready for it and Carson is ready."

In 2006, Kainer enjoyed an All-Big 12 season for the Longhorns. He led the squad with a .364 batting average, 25 doubles and 66 RBI. The head-turning season caught the attention of the Reds, who selected him in the 14th round of the Major League Baseball First-Year Player Draft in June.

Kainer opened his career playing 54 games, including 47 starts in 2004. He hit .335 with three home runs and 24 RBI. In UT's national championship run in 2005, he played in 63 games, including 60 starts, hitting .312 with three home runs and 65 RBI. He also hit .370 in Big 12 play that season.

Kainer underwent a successful kidney transplant surgery in September and was not enrolled in classes for the fall semester.

The Tomball, Texas native will join former Longhorn teammates Sam LeCure and Drew Stubbs in the Cincinnati minor league system.

pirate4state
11-02-2006, 03:58 PM
I read about this yesterday. Good & bad news. Good that he is recovered and will be able to play at the next level and bad news for UT. :(

Good Luck to him!

g$$
11-02-2006, 04:06 PM
He will be missed, but their OF will now have Jordan Danks (LF), Nick Peoples (CF), & Kyle Russell (RF). Look out for freshman Russell Moldenhauer from Boerne as the new DH. Kid can rake & turned down 3rd round $$ to go to Texas. Texas will be solid as always.

Saw them last Friday at the Fall World Series in Round Rock as the renovations continue at Disch-Falk. Dell Diamond is sweet!